In a Sunburned Country Story Event: Official Support Thread

No Worries mate; never been to 'Stralia, but hell, never been sailing either!

Will open a Castlemaine FourX, light the Barbie and watch Crocodile Dundee and get in the Antipodean mood mate.

Need to start thinking swagmen and wild colonial boys!

And here is a story bunny for someone....

36815709_10214160688705404_3966313495112187904_n.jpg

And the less well dressed we become.

Check into a $80/night dive in Melbourne and your host is dressed to the nines. Check into a $300/night joint in North QLD and count yourself lucky if your host is wearing shoes.

We northern bogans aren't quite that bad, they'd have to at least be wearing thongs! Hahaha!
We are perhaps more laid back than those in the southern states :p

Tentative on the contest, but I do have a short trip to Gold Coast planned soon. Let's see if that sparks any ideas.

I have some extended family in Melbourne and Sydney who I have spent vacations with in the past. My favorite bit of Australia is Perth, though. That is one place I would return to just for the sightseeing.

It would be tempting to write a story set in The Maxx's version of "Australia." ;)

tumblr_lf0ye88qaa1qbmmkpo1_500.gif

I'm looking forward to reading the entries. Unfortunately, the closest I have ever been to Oz was a period in my life where I had a thing for Swan Lager and Olivia Newton-John videos with the mute "on".

Ok, definitely in now.

electricblue66 and I started a collaboration a few months back, and we'll try to have it finished for IASC. The working title is "American Girls Down Under", category undetermined. It's right around 7k words so far, and believe it or not, when we last left our hero's, they were... on the train to Sydney.

Hello Ms. Chloe!

Can a writer enter this endeavor if they use characters from another, already existing story?

Or does the entry have to be entirely new and fresh?

Thanks!

Hello Ms. Chloe!

Can a writer enter this endeavor if they use characters from another, already existing story?

Or does the entry have to be entirely new and fresh?

Thanks!

Sure, go ahead and use existing characters. The only ask was a one off story rather than a chapter so existing characters are just fine.

We northern bogans aren't quite that bad, they'd have to at least be wearing thongs! Hahaha!
We are perhaps more laid back than those in the southern states :p

No.... no they weren't!!!! :) They were lovely, though, super helpful and friendly.

Ok, definitely in now.

electricblue66 and I started a collaboration a few months back, and we'll try to have it finished for IASC. The working title is "American Girls Down Under", category undetermined. It's right around 7k words so far, and believe it or not, when we last left our hero's, they were... on the train to Sydney.
Yay. :D

I had to dive off right after Geek Pride because real life had been waiting with a giant hook just off stage, but Chloe sent me the announcement (thanks!).

The desire is there, no idea yet. I am trying to recruit my favorite Aussie-Lit-pal, though. He's willing, but...

Hmmm. Collaboration... :rose:

Yay. :D. I had to dive off right after Geek Pride because real life had been waiting with a giant hook just off stage, but Chloe sent me the announcement (thanks!).

You're welcome, and I have a lot more invitations to send out. Ran out of time on Sunday and real life work intervened, so if you didn't get an invitation and you've already signed up, great. If you're to shy to say, just write it and submit. More invitations will be sent but I don't know that many other writers here - there's so many - so feel free to forward to as many others as you think might be interested. The more stories and writers participating, the more fun it'll be.

And for new writers on Literotica, give it a go. All the joys of an event without the competitiveness of a competition and you'll get some great exposure to Literotica readers. Along with 4 months to write and a lot of fellow authors to chat online with.

Proving yet again that there's nothing like duct tape.

Why do they want to catch the big ones? I'd have thought they were all dangerous.
To relocate them to rivers well away from people, especially German tourists, who seem unable to read, and are forever being taken. The bigger the croc, the more it can eat.

And the less well dressed we become.

Check into a $80/night dive in Melbourne and your host is dressed to the nines. Check into a $300/night joint in North QLD and count yourself lucky if your host is wearing shoes.

QLD or WA? I remember a distinct lack of formal attire in Perth. It was completely normal to be served by someone in shorts at a restaurant.

Proving yet again that there's nothing like duct tape.

Why do they want to catch the big ones? I'd have thought they were all dangerous.

A while back crocodiles were hunted to really low numbers so they made them a protected species. You have to have good reason to go out and catch them even though the numbers are way out of control again.
It's the big ones that take people and large animals so they get hunted and relocated where possible/ necessary :)
Or what EB said :p

Weasel is one of the funniest words in the English language, they say. :D

And somehow that reminded me of Puppetry of the Penis live comedy show...

Bless those Aussies.

A while back crocodiles were hunted to really low numbers so they made them a protected species. You have to have good reason to go out and catch them even though the numbers are way out of control again.
It's the big ones that take people and large animals so they get hunted and relocated where possible/ necessary :)
Or what EB said :p

I was relaxing, nose-deep, in a hot springs in Darwin one morning when I noticed a small and to my mind altogether too inconspicuous sign saying something to the effect that, "Bathers are warned that saltwater crocodiles are known to have made it this far up the creek." I then remembered a news item from the day before about a saltie taking a child maybe 50 km away. Needless to say, I left with no more haste than was possible.

Odd, as an inland type, I have no fear of the bears, wolves, cougars and other befanged critters I know live nearby. This sort of thing (and sharks etc in the ocean) on the other hand scares the heck out of me. I wonder why that is?

Last edited:
Odd, as an inland type, I have no fear of the bears, wolves, cougars and other befanged critters I know live nearby. This sort of thing (and sharks etc in the ocean) on the other hand scares the heck out of me. I wonder why that is?
Could be coz crocs and sharks are more primeval, cold blooded, less "cuddly" - you ARE prey. Also, things in water can be spooky, because they move so silently. And fast!

I was relaxing, nose-deep, in a hot springs in Darwin one morning when I noticed a small and to my mind altogether too inconspicuous sign saying something to the effect that, "Bathers are warned that saltwater crocodiles are known to have made it this far up the creek." I then remembered a news item from the day before about a saltie taking a child maybe 50 km away. Needless to say, I left with no more haste than was possible.

Huh. Usually the warning signs are a bit less subtle:

extreme-danger-saltwater-crocodiles-BHF0HY.jpg

Mind you, the real killers are not what people might think.

Back