The King and I (closed)

Charlie was exhausted by the time that Dave came storming into the room like her knight in shining armor. She let out a sigh, looking at him with tired eyes as he tried to joke about the situation. Leave it to Donovan to joke about something so serious as treason.

"I know you don't believe what you've heard, but that doesn't matter. They believe that I arranged the entire assassination attempt." Charlotte confessed, looking at him as she shook her head and finally looked down at the table. "Years of loyal service are repaid with accusations and suspicion. I never would have thought that the tables might turn on me so swiftly."
 
"Tables my ass. All of their evidence seem to come from persons unknown. If I don't see evidence that come from a reliable source, I will not believe a word of this." He looked around and got her coat, "Come, I am taking you home. You need to rest."

He helped her to her feet and helped her into the coat, "Only way they can keep you longer is if they are the Police and they are not." He pulled open the door and taking her hand, led the way through the gathered group.
 
"Dave, don't be foolish." Charlie said as he got her coat and told her that he was taking her home. "If they believe that there is a threat then they are only going to keep me under that much more scrutiny. If you think that they're going to just let me go, you're crazy."

She was quiet as he helped her to her feet, helping her to put on her coat as he explained that they weren't the police and they couldn't keep her there. Instead, she took his hand, letting him pull her from the room and through the group that was gathered just outside the door. She kept her gaze down, looking at the floor as they passed by. She didn't want to look at them at all, never wanting to give them the satisfaction of looking upset or terrified.
 
Nobody tried to prevent their leaving, once outside, Dave pulled Charlie close and wrapped an arm around her. He knew that there would be trouble, but there was just no way that he was going to allow them to run rough-shod over her. Once inside the building, he led her to the dining room and sat her down.

"You better be here when I return."

With that he stalked off, remembering to strip off his jacket as he pushed open the door. It took him a bit longer than expected to return and when he did return, he brought her a small bowl of soup with bread and a tea pot with two mugs. He placed the tray down and with a slight flourish, he placed the food in front of her and poured them both some tea. He sat down in his usual chair and watched her.

"You looked like hell warmed over. Go ahead, see if the soup is any good. I know you don't feel like eating, but you know that you have to."
 
Charlie felt numb on the inside, an icy coldness spreading through her limbs as Dave continued to guide her towards safety. She barely even noticed when they made their way to the dining room, his sure hands guiding her to take a seat before he slipped out to get her something to eat. She didn't bother taking her jacket off as she let her head rest against her hands.

How had all of this gone wrong? How had she been named as one of the conspirators in the assassination attempt on Dave's life? All of those thoughts were interrupted when he came back a time later with a bowl of soup, bread and tea for them both. She wasn't hungry at all, but she knew that she couldn't argue with him.

"I feel like death." She murmured as she pulled the bowl towards her and took a bite to appease him. "I still don't understand exactly what happened. They were tearing apart my apartments when I got there. I don't know if they found anything during their search."
 
"I doubt that they did find anything, but you can be certain that your apartment at your parents' place will also come under scrutiny soon. They will need a search warrant first. Now finish that food, I want to show you the file that they gave me and then we have to find a way to keep you around, I am not spending another day with that other woman."

He pulled the file closer and tapped it with a finger, "This is what got them on your trail. You need to look it over and then we will have to decide if you need an attorney next time they try to nab you."
 
"That other woman is my fill in, Dave. You should treat her nicely." Charlie murmured as she looked towards him. "There are other people here at the palace who do just as good a job as I do. You just have a crush on me."

She didn't want to think about hiring lawyers or having to wrangle her way out of a potentially lethal situation. First, it had been her family's money troubles. Then, he had given her a title and a new manor house. They had explored their feelings. It was all a little too much. She was embarrassed when the tears came, quickly swiping at them with an angry motion. She wasn't a girl to cry, but it seemed that her hard exterior was slowly crumbling after the intense day.
 
"Oh now its back to me just having a crush and can't seem to know the good work you do? Come now Charlie, you know better than that. I don't like the woman and I don't trust her, she's got the personality of a wet paper bag and I know for a fact that I can't talk openly with her. Now eat up, we have work to do."
 
"Donovan, stop!" Charlie said, her tone harsh as she looked up at him with that defeated glance. "Stop for a moment and think about yourself. You need to get away from me for a while. I will not stand in the way of your coronation, especially if my name is tied to the people who tried to kill you."

She had tears on her cheeks, her breath as shaky as her hands were. It hurt her heart to tell him to get away from her, but she knew that it had to be done for the time being.
 
He met her gaze and even though it saddened him to see that look and to hear those words, he knew that it would never work, he could and would not send her from him.

"And that will not prove that I think you are as guilty as they try to make you seem? No Charlie, there will be no rash actions, nor decisions until you have locked that darkness away and have applied the good reasoning I know you have. You want distance? I will give you as much of it as you wish, but that will be your own decision, not mine."

He tapped the folder with a hard, accusing finger,

"All this is bull...and you will see it as soon as you clap eyes on it."
 
Charlie stared at Dave as he acted so bullheaded and stubborn about the entire situation. It was very clear to her that he wasn't going to believe that she had anything to do with the threat on his life. It made her feel slightly better, but she still couldn't help it as she lifted her arms to be hugged by the man that she loved so deeply. She needed a moment to be weak before she could gather those pieces back together.
 
He got out of his chair and hugged Charlie tightly, he wasn't sure if it was just for her, he had a feeling that he needed it just as much. He rested his cheek against her own and sighed softly. "I may seem a bit partial, but I will not work with some stranger. Never met her and I don't trust her."
 
Being held made Charlie finally stop trembling. Dave's arms were warm and comforting and his cheek pressed against her own made her sigh. He loved her and he trusted that she hadn't done the horrible things that she was being accused of. Soft laughter came from her lips as he told her that he didn't trust her replacement.

"She really is a good person." Charlie argued feebly as she pulled back slightly and looked into Dave's gaze. "And day you'll have to find someone new to run your schedule. Especially if you're still hell bent on making me your queen. I can't very well keep you on a tight schedule then."
 
He gave her a slight smile, the fact that she mentioned becoming queen made him just that much more certain that she was not to blame, if she was, she would have professed her innocence and not talk about his own dreams of their future together.

"Well a short leash and a strict schedule is your specialties, perhaps I will have to keep you on as my advisory queen and leave the queenly duties to the good assistant hm? I like that idea."
 
Charlie pressed her forehead against Dave's, letting out a sigh as he talked about leaving her duties to another woman while she stayed at his side. It was a nice thought, but not practical, something thought up to try and make her smile. She managed a small grin, her head finding a place on his shoulder as she continued to hug him tightly.

"Give me a day to get over all that has happened and I'll be right back to the Charlotte that you know and love." She promised him.
 
He smiled and nudged her head with his own, "You are still the Charlotte I know and love, the defeated part is the one that I don't like and I will argue against that little personality trait all the way."

He raised his head and gave her forehead a soft kiss, hugging her closer, "As long as you don't take the day to run away, I'm all for giving you the time to recuperate from this skirmish on your integrity."
 
"Perhaps I'll run. It's what makes me feel better." Charlie said softly as he kissed her forehead and told her that he would give her time. "Or perhaps I'll simply stay here, in your bed, with Max. I don't know what I should be doing. What does someone do after they have been accused of treason? I feel like hiding might be the best thing."

She had no idea how she felt. Everything was a jumble in her mind but she knew that she needed to get herself straight. He depended on her. The kingdom depended on him. She had to be the strong back bone for the future king if they were to get him crowned and on the throne.
 
He rested his head against her own, "Running is not in your nature and you know it. Once this shock wears off, you will once more know where to start. You are innocent and you know it, now you just have to find a way to prove it and I will help you in any way I can."

He gave a soft chuckle, "Even if I have to kick down a door every now and then to drag you away for food and some sleep. And staying in my bed alone with only Max will of course have my mind wander far away from where it should be."
 
Charlotte leaned her head against Dave's as he continued to comfort her. She gave him a slight smile as she nuzzled against him for a moment and then let out a soft sigh.

"I think a nice hot shower and an evening in bed would be well deserved." She admitted, looking at him through her thick lashes. "I did get interrogated most of the day. It was grueling to sit there stoned face and tell them that they were wrong all that time."
 
"And through it all you remained a lady. Now let's get you to bed. The file will be here when you wake up."

He helped her from her seat and tucked the file under one arm as he escorted her to her room. At the door, he gave her a hug and whispered in her ear, "I'll be here, if you need me, just call."

He gave her a small peck on the cheek and turned to the guards, "Nobody disturbs her at all and she can come and go as she wish."
 
Charlie didn't like the idea that Dave was simply going to leave her at the rooms, but she knew that they couldn't afford to have their relationship found out just yet. She nodded as her told her that he was just a call away. He would take care of her in any way that he possibly could, whether it be rescuing her from people who were interrogating her or making sure that she got a restful sleep.

"I'll call you when I wake up." Charlie promised, kissing his cheek as she entered her room and looked around at the disarray that was her rooms.

A long sigh issued from her lips as she stepped through the piles of clothes and personal possessions that had been thrown about. It didn't matter to her right then. All she wanted was to curl up in her bed and sleep until nothing mattered anymore. Soon enough, after she had changed her clothes, she was doing just that.
 
He knew that Charlie was safe for now, he headed back to his stateroom and started to work through the files that he would need the next day. It kept him busy for a few hours and there seemed to be a constant cup of coffee at his elbow, not that it went cold, just that he had such a proficient staff. Courtesy of Charlotte's hard work.

When he was done, he went through the file again, checking off the insufficient data and then placed it in his secured drawer. He took a break then, he needed to get rid of the nervous energy and the best answer for late-night winter energy was a good swim and then bed. He headed to his room to change and soon was doing laps in the indoor pool under the strict supervision of the guards. Afterwards he toweled himself dry, took a shower and went to bed, thoroughly exhausted and still a bit tender in the chest area where a livid bruise was his souvenir of an assassination attempt.
 
When Charlotte finally woke the next morning, she took some time to stare at the ceiling of her bedroom. The sun was out, glittering snow shining outside the window. She wanted to hide away and stay in bed, but she knew that only cowards did that. She let out a long sigh and pushed herself up, looking towards the bright day outside. The best way to deal with a situation like this was to simply put on a brave face and move forward.

Soon, she was dressed, her clipboard in hand as she marched down the hallway towards Dave's room. She nodded towards the queen as she ate in the royal apartments before she entered Dave's bedroom and threw open the shades.

"Time to get up. You're going to be late." Charlotte insisted. "You have a children's charity to open before noon. If you want breakfast, I suggest you get going right now."
 
He blearily looked up from the cushions, blinking in the sharp light.

"You better be Charlie or I am kicking you out of my room."

He covered his head with the duvet and lifted up a hand extending two fingers, his voice muffled, "Two more minutes, I can go without the food." His hand collapsed to cover his head.

Of course it would not be two minutes, he would fall asleep if given half the chance, since forever Dave was not a morning person and perhaps that was why his parents wanted Charlie to kick him out of bed. Of course the fact that she was good with her work was the unexpected bonus.
 
"Up, Donovan. Now." Charlie said as she grabbed the duvet and pulled it from his body, tossing it to the floor. "Your suit is hanging in the closet. Wear the black tie today. We don't have a lot of time for you to roll and moan in this bed."

She always felt slightly bad about kicking him out of bed, but his mother and father had always trusted her to do her job. That job was to get Dave up and out of bed and on schedule. They had high hopes for him and those hopes were now shared by an entire kingdom.

"I'm two seconds away from going to get a bucket of ice water. You've been warned." She said finally as old Max came into the room, his tail thumping on the floor as she reached down and scratched his ears.
 
Back
Top