McConnell blocking legislation to reopen government

They will eventually be paid and anyway, exactly the same thing could be said of Nancy Pelosi.

It takes TWO to tango.

Nancy passed her bills already. If Mitch is going to dance, he has to get off his knees and wipe his chin...oh right, well his turkey wattel then.

Nancy passed her bills already. If Mitch is going to dance, he has to get off his knees and wipe his chin...oh right, well his turkey wattel then.

Nancy did not pass a bill that was acceptable or the shutdown would have been over before it started.

I learned YEARS ago that passing in substandard work meant you had to do it over again until you got it right.

Nancy did not pass a bill that was acceptable or the shutdown would have been over before it started.

I learned YEARS ago that passing in substandard work meant you had to do it over again until you got it right.

It worked for W.:rolleyes:

To you, Mitch and Donny. Sounds like a circle jerk for sure. Or is that a circle of jerks?

I can only hope Bob has a line on Mitch.

To you, Mitch and Donny. Sounds like a circle jerk for sure. Or is that a circle of jerks?

I can only hope Bob has a line on Mitch.

Or the LEGAL immigrant population, which is increasingly in favor of Trump AND the wall.

Mitch McConnell doesn’t work for the American People. He doesn’t even work for the People of Kentucky. He refuses to do even the bare minimum to earn his paycheck. WHY is he still in office? America’s national security, our Constitutional form of government, and the needless suffering of the American People all mean NOTHING to him!!

Mitch McConnell could open the government within the hour. He is the problem. Trump is an ignorant, intellectually-lazy child, but McConnell is a calculating, conniving weasel who has done more damage to America than any other single person.

Claiming political stunts won't get them anywhere, Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell pulled a political stunt by not allowing any legislation to reopen the government come to the Senate floor.

McConnell said it was the fault of the Democrats, who have introduced several pieces of budgetary legislation in the House to reopen the government, because they refuse to come to the table.

McConnell has made clear that he won't take up any legislation related to the shutdown in the Senate that President Donald Trump won't sign. And the President has dug in in his refusal to sign legislation that does not meet his demand for roughly $5 billion for a border wall, which Democrats refuse to provide.

In other words, two years ago when the House and Senate were controlled by Republicans and there were 90 votes in the Senate lined up to vote on a bill to provide border security, McConnell never brought the bill up even though it was veto proof.

But now when Democrats propose legislation to reopen the government, McConnell is claiming they're doing a political stunt while he refuses to allow even a vote on the measures.

Gotta love hypocrisy.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/politics/senate-blocks-vote-congress-shutdown/index.html

Mitch McConnell prevented us from hearing about Russian election hacking.

He supported attempts to repeal healthcare 54 times.

He won't allow Congress to vote on protecting the Mueller investigation.

He won't allow Congress to vote on reopening the government.

This miscreant needs to go!!!

Mitch McConnell prevented us from hearing about Russian election hacking.

He supported attempts to repeal healthcare 54 times.

He won't allow Congress to vote on protecting the Mueller investigation.

He won't allow Congress to vote on reopening the government.

This miscreant needs to go!!!

Pelosi could get things moving again TODAY simply by funding the wall.

Wasn't a pressing problem for 24 months until the week the Democrats take over the House and the purse strings.

Then it was a problem.

Same as the migrant zombie horde swarming the Rio Grande. Same as the pizza store child sex ring. Same as the El Salvadorian Immigrants who have been here too long and took good lettuce picking jobs away from wanting white college students. Same as any of the other fake crisises that Trumpelthinskin and his jackboot thuggie cultists spew on the Faux News channel.

Go pray to white Jesus who never was a Jew to save us from the 'Merica hatin' intellectual lefties who want to take your guns away and send your money to Venezuela.

Moron.

My 2 cents

No Stockholm Syndrome!

Pelosi could get things moving again TODAY simply by funding the wall.

So far, Nancy is not suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. She does not feel sympathy for the kidnapper who took federal workers hostage and is forcing them to work without pay.

Shutting down the government is not a "both sides" issue. It is not a "takes two to Tango" issue. If Trump is so incompetent or corrupt that he cannot keep the government operating, that is his problem. If Trump was not able to negotiate a deal for the wall when his party held both the House and the Senate, that is his problem. If Trump can't work out deals on policy without shutting down the government, that is his problem. If Trump takes pride in shutting down the government and then holds his breath until he turns blue, that is his problem.

To negotiate a deal, you need to have all parties at the table. You just can't meet privately with Kushner and McConnell and decide what you think is a "compromise" and expect Nancy to just lap it up. You work out those deals with all parties at the table, and you do it without holding hostages.

No Stockholm Syndrome!

So far, Nancy is not suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. She does not feel sympathy for the kidnapper who took federal workers hostage and is forcing them to work without pay.

Shutting down the government is not a "both sides" issue. It is not a "takes two to Tango" issue. If Trump is so incompetent or corrupt that he cannot keep the government operating, that is his problem. If Trump was not able to negotiate a deal for the wall when his party held both the House and the Senate, that is his problem. If Trump can't work out deals on policy without shutting down the government, that is his problem. If Trump takes pride in shutting down the government and then holds his breath until he turns blue, that is his problem.

To negotiate a deal, you need to have all parties at the table. You just can't meet privately with Kushner and McConnell and decide what you think is a "compromise" and expect Nancy to just lap it up. You work out those deals with all parties at the table, and you do it without holding hostages.

No Stockholm Syndrome!

The Fed workers aren't free to find other work? What are they? Indentured servants? LOL

I don't think he's holding his breath. He just stated, "this is a non negotiable item. No deal until you agree." In fact, he even offered ground on DACA and Pelosi threw the immigrants under the bus because she's too personally involved to do her job.

(edited)
The Fed workers aren't free to find other work? What are they? Indentured servants? LOL
https://www.govloop.com/community/b...eing-a-government-worker-during-the-shutdown/
Restrictions are imposed on federal employees who want to take on other jobs. Some employees are banned from earning money through what’s called “outside activities.” In agencies that allow employees to have another job, their side hustle can’t overlap with their government responsibilities, create a conflict of interest, or interfere with their official duties.

Even if paid outside activities are permitted at their agency, most federal workers must get pre-approval from their supervisor or an ethics official before starting a second job. But, because the government is shut down, there’s no one around to grant them that permission. If federal workers take a second job without approval, they risk getting into trouble or even losing their job.

I guess I missed the line where it says they can't quit.

Look, this is very simple. Budget for the wall and everybody wins.
You did. From the same link:
Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski tweeted another reason a second job isn’t a realistic option for many furloughed government workers:

“I’ve heard from some regarding the gov’t shutdown that those impacted can just go out & get a second job. But there are many communities in Alaska where you don’t have a lot of options. These secondary jobs are simply not available to many of our rural Alaskans.”

No Stockholm Syndrome!

^^ This.

Historian Christopher Browning writes. And "if the U.S. has someone whom historians will look back on as the gravedigger of American democracy, it is Mitch McConnell." He explains:

"McConnell stoked the hyper-polarization of American politics to make the Obama presidency as dysfunctional and paralyzed as he possibly could. As with parliamentary gridlock in Weimar, congressional gridlock in the U.S. has diminished respect for democratic norms, allowing McConnell to trample them even more. Nowhere is this vicious circle clearer than in the obliteration of traditional precedents concerning judicial appointments. ... One can predict that henceforth no significant judicial appointments will be made when the presidency and the Senate are not controlled by the same party. McConnell and our dysfunctional and disrespected Congress have now ensured an increasingly dysfunctional and disrespected judiciary, and the constitutional balance of powers among the three branches of government is in peril."

Well, if you insist.

There's a guy here called dan something and his fave thing is to quote somebody but change the words to something silly and then he calls them a racist. So technically you're not really totally original but even so, TOTALLY cool. Is there a nomination system here where I can recommend your post for comment of the year or something?

I mean, seriously! Where do you come up with ideas like that? And here Phro is looking up links and Keith, he's putting some work into it and you just blew us away with a quip that, honestly, Ja, I'm still in stitches. I swear I'm going to get the hiccups if I don't stop laughing.

Hey, can I steal your technique sometime?

Back