McConnell blocking legislation to reopen government

I'm not a Republican. Not a Democrat either. I'm an Independent who likes a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, and some of neither.

I can respect that on the surface but why post your Iggy List in your sig line? Kind of like posting your charitable donations for the social media love.
 
I can respect that on the surface but why post your Iggy List in your sig line? Kind of like posting your charitable donations for the social media love.

Because, those three top people are vile and since they won't let up, then people can at least understand why I ignore them if they choose to.

I don't group Phro with the top three guys, but I have no time for his games either.

There are others on my ignore list from outside of the Politics forum ....
 
Last edited:
You had a choice between
1: an openly racist, sexist, shady businessman, who bragged about avoiding tax paiments, who already had shown he can't run his business (how many bankruptcies?), and promised to run the country like he runs his businesses. A country is not a business, you can't just take the same risks and ruthless decisions. Remember his comment about healthcare, a problem he would solve within a few weeks? "It is really complicated, you know..." Apparently he never knew what he signed up to.

2: a person, like her or not, who had already shown to be a very skilled politician. She had all the right papers to do the job.

Hmmm tough decision. Hillary is a creep, and I wished I was Trump...

I know, the elections are done, but your reasoning flaws.

You see only what you want to see and its very one sided. Hilary or wrong is no basis for a discussion.

You do realize I voted for neither? I'm :confused:. You do realize that I wanted neither as my president? But Trump won, so I move forward instead of holding the country back.


Have we ever seen that before? Did you also complain when Obama was in the White House?

I wasn't a member of this forum then, and I doubt my answer matters to you. You've made your opinion clear: If I didn't vote for Hilary, I'm wrong.


Hint: If you had read the entire post that you partially quoted, you'd know if I was against it or not. ;)


Aside:
Hmmm tough decision. Hillary is a creep, and I wished I was Trump...

Why do you wish that you were Trump? :rolleyes: (I think you screwed something up there.) It's that kind of BS that's a big problem in this forum.
 
Last edited:
How is McConnell blocking legislation to reopen the government when the Democrats won't write the legislation needed to reopen the government? (Use a little thought on here and don't just say: He won't move the bill along. It's not going to get signed.)

The lines have been drawn: Wall/No Wall. All or nothing.

Right now, both sides are blocking legislation that could reopen the government.


Let's see. Pelosi has managed to get bills passed in the House to re-open the government. When sent to the Senate McConnell has said he will not present the bills to the Senate so it all falls on McConnell as any veto by trump could be overridden by Congress.
 
Let's see. Pelosi has managed to get bills passed in the House to re-open the government. When sent to the Senate McConnell has said he will not present the bills to the Senate so it all falls on McConnell as any veto by trump could be overridden by Congress.

Let's see, Trump has stated nothing gets signed without a wall, Pelosi refuses to pass a spending bill that includes wall funding.

Dems blame Trump and Repubs blame Dems and I blame both sides. Look at all those options? ;)
 
If Trump wants to keep up the fight for The Wall but allow people to get paid and still feed his ego and maybe look better for it in his own mind and some others - then he could announced a budget plan that he would be willing to sign only if the Dems wrote it to his specifications .... it's petty, but Pelosi and Trump have been trading pettiness for a while now. I could see Trump strutting around if his concessions were met for the sake of our federal employees.

Trump gets to say "Look, I got you guys your paychecks back" while everyone else can believe whatever they want to believe.

I don't care how this stalemate ends, who gives into who, or if God throws Jesus down like a lightning bolt and says, "FIX THIS SHIT!" ... just stop fucking over the people they're supposed to be helping: US Citizens/and the exceptions who aren't citizens, but work for the US anyway.
 
If Trump wants to keep up the fight for The Wall but allow people to get paid and still feed his ego and maybe look better for it in his own mind and some others - then he could announced a budget plan that he would be willing to sign only if the Dems wrote it to his specifications .... it's petty, but Pelosi and Trump have been trading pettiness for a while now. I could see Trump strutting around if his concessions were met for the sake of our federal employees.

Trump gets to say "Look, I got you guys your paychecks back" while everyone else can believe whatever they want to believe.

I don't care how this stalemate ends, who gives into who, or if God throws Jesus down like a lightning bolt and says, "FIX THIS SHIT!" ... just stop fucking over the people they're supposed to be helping: US Citizens/and the exceptions who aren't citizens, but work for the US anyway.

Divine intervention may just be what's needed to get them past this impasse.
 
The 800k workers are being used as pawns by BOTH sides.

Still, the people clearly want the security represented by the wall and $5b is peanuts, relatively speaking, so build the damned wall. And then when some people still get through or switch to crossing the nearly nonexistent northern border, you can all say "I told you so".

Politicians better get used to flying commercial if they don't pull their heads out of their asses.
 
I doubt it's the price of the wall (calculated in dollars) that the Democrats oppose.

Of course not. It's Trump they oppose. If he waved his hand and the entire world found peace and he offered to personally pay for all the food needed to feed the homeless and people in developing countries, the Dems would find some moth-eaten Federal judge to block him.
 
By all reports, the most any new southern border wall will cover is a couple hundred miles. A dozen or so miles of new wall has been erected so far. The southern border is nearly two thousand miles.

So all we're talking about is expanding Trump's legacy from less than one percent to maybe fifteen percent.
 
Of course not. It's Trump they oppose. If he waved his hand and the entire world found peace and he offered to personally pay for all the food needed to feed the homeless and people in developing countries, the Dems would find some moth-eaten Federal judge to block him.

Dude, if he offered to feed all the world, he would probably make them eat at mar a Lago after taking a 6 week course on fake news at Trump university
 
As I've said before, Mitch The Bitch is the poster weenie FOR term limits.
 
Dude, if he offered to feed all the world, he would probably make them eat at mar a Lago after taking a 6 week course on fake news at Trump university

I appreciate you're proving my point so promptly. I thought it would take at LEAST a few hours...
 
Personally, I oppose the wall itself. In / after a time where it is fashionable to say things like "Tear down the Walls that separate us" building a new one feels like going back in time and development. Of course, 'turning back the time' is a major goal for the reps. 'Problem' is, time only goes in one direction; forward.

You oppose the wall because you want open borders. Freedom to come and go as people wish. Of course, from another conversation you live somewhere in Europe, right? So it's no skin off your nose if our border is wide open.

Did you know it is impossible to walk down President Obama's street? There's a wall. Not just around his house but around the entire neighborhood. Then if you do reach his house it's surrounded by a... wall... And then of course the walls of the house itself.

Most of the other "important" DC politicians have less extensive walls, but they all have walls.

They have walls because walls work well for keeping people out, that you want to keep out.

Hey, look at this way. See it as a wall keeping Americans IN. That way we can't get out to mess up other countries! :devil:

Lots of new walls (and ancient walls too) in Europe, by the way. Knock those down before you come criticizing ours.
 
You oppose the wall because you want open borders. Freedom to come and go as people wish. Of course, from another conversation you live somewhere in Europe, right? So it's no skin off your nose if our border is wide open.

Did you know it is impossible to walk down President Obama's street? There's a wall. Not just around his house but around the entire neighborhood. Then if you do reach his house it's surrounded by a... wall... And then of course the walls of the house itself.

Most of the other "important" DC politicians have less extensive walls, but they all have walls.

They have walls because walls work well for keeping people out, that you want to keep out.

Hey, look at this way. See it as a wall keeping Americans IN. That way we can't get out to mess up other countries! :devil:

Lots of new walls (and ancient walls too) in Europe, by the way. Knock those down before you come criticizing ours.
Did you look all that up, or are you letting others tell it to you?
 
I'm not checking on Obama, but I think every political person at a certain level deserves, no even requires protection. It's not a good atmosphere when even the President is openly racist and it's considered acceptable to call "Lock them up" for your political opponents. (without any proof of wrongdoing.) I doubt that wall is built as protection from immigrants, or even protection from burglars; more likely as protection from political and racist lunatics.

It is true, there are also walls built in Europe; mainly in Hungary, and driven by Nationalist parties. Do they work? Only as a message that people are not welcome, and as a token to the Nationalist's supporters. Not as a tool to keep people out or in. You'd need guns and mines to get that effect.

The European Union strongly opposes those walls, Hungary is currently considered as an outcast within Europe (for their xenophobia, but also for corruption and other scandals; hey, another link with America...) but, although many say it has too much power already, there is little the European Union can do about it.

Got it. Presidents and important people deserve protection but not commoners.

By the way, there might be a few more walls in Europe than you mentioned. You should do some research on that.
 
Are you deliberately acting stupid, or is that what you are? I, a commoner, don't need the same protection as a Trump, an Obama, a Merkel or a Putin, or a Bill de Blasio or Sadiq Khan. I get the protection I require, they need more protection because they stick out.

I don't need to do research for you, but I will admit, even my house has walls and a lock on the door. And there is a fence around our football field.

If walls were ineffective, then those people's residences and neighborhoods would not HAVE them. You'd be able to walk up to the door and knock. It seems clear then that walls are effective at least as a line of first defense.

Secondly, while my own home does not have a wall around it, we're discussing national borders. You equate the nation's safety with commoners. But our national defense was so crucial to America (remember all the trouble we had with USEXIT back in 1776) that it is codified in our Constitution as being one of the VERY few things the Federal government was focus on.
 
Mitch McConnell has absolutely NO loyalty to the people of the United States of America. He’s proven it time and time again. Back in 2016, the director of the CIA met with McConnell and revealed intelligence findings that showed that Russian operatives had hacked the computer server of the Democratic National Committee, hacked other political organizations of the Democratic Party, and that the Russians were actively trying to install Donald Trump as the next leader of the United States of America.

CIA Director Brennan did exactly what he was supposed to do. He tried to rouse McConnell into action, but the response he got from McConnell was stupefying. McConnell basically told him, ‘You’re telling us that Russia is trying to help elect Trump (but) if you come forward with this, I’m not going to sign on to any sort of public statement that would condemn Russian interference, but I WILL condemn YOU and the Obama administration for trying to mess up this election.”

Clearly McConnell put his own personal interests ahead of US national security. Being attacked by the Russians was a national crisis and we should have been marshalling all available resources to confront the problem, but McConnell made it clear that if Obama or Brennan or ANYBODY went public with the national threat posed the Russians that the Republicans would denounce anyone trying to defend the United States and turn declarations that we were under attack into a political sideshow.

One can debate whether what McConnell did was treason. But it was surely aiding and abetting a U.S. enemy in the middle of an attack on the country. It was a clear betrayal of the American people, a violation of his oath of office and a dereliction of his duties as a Senator.

McConnell has time and time again shown he places party above all. Sometimes, his actions have simply been an example of the scorched earth practices of the worst of both parties—as when he announced his intentions to defeat Obama before the new president had a chance to even establish himself. Sometimes they are worse, as when he has repeatedly served the interests of the NRA against those of the American people or promoted tax reforms that hurt the country fiscally, helped a precious few rich folks and cost most Americans.

Sometimes Mitch grossly violates his oath of office and refuses to abide by the United States Constitution, like when he ignored the U.S. Senate’s responsibilities of advice and consent and refused to allow Merrick Garland’s nomination to even come up for a voter after President Obama nominated him to be on the Supreme Court. Almost as bad was Mitch’s shameful effort to railroad a clearly unqualified candidate for the court like Brett Kavanaugh into a lifetime position as an associate justice.


And right now Mitch is betraying the American People once again. Millions of American are suffering as a result of Trump’s childish shutdown, and the shutdown could end TODAY! The United States Senate has more than enough votes to pass legislation to re-open the government and end needless suffering, however, Mitch refuses to call for a vote!

Mitch McConnell doesn’t work for the American People. He doesn’t even work for the People of Kentucky. He refuses to do even the bare minimum to earn his paycheck. WHY is he still in office? America’s national security, our Constitutional form of government, and the needless suffering of the American People all mean NOTHING to him!!
 
It wasn't me who started about walls built around the houses of specific people.

I didn't say that I have a wall around our house; it's part of the house. It helps me keeping the heat in and burglars out; I don't worry about political and xenophobic lunatics for myself and my family. In case of our politicians, I do hope they have appropriate protection; even, or especially, the ones I don't like.

Sorry, I don't remember USEXIT; wonder if I should.

You start throwing up certain comments without specifying your intentions, and then blame others for 'forgetting' or 'not mentioning' specific details afterwards. I think I'm done playing your games; I will react when I feel for it, not necessarily when you ask me to.

The point wasn't so much that pols have walls, and so should we as it was pointing out that walls actually do work and THAT is why need them. To keep out those that don't have a right to be here legally.

USEXIT was a tongue in cheek reference to the American Revolutionary War back in 1776. Plus, it can be pronounced You Sex It, which seemed appropriate for a forum more or less dedicated to literary erotica.
 
McConnell is an enemy of the American People. He's willing to let millions of Americans suffer rather than simply ALLOW OF VOTE of legislation that he already knows would pass.

So, all those government workers don't get paid, the U.S. economy suffers and the government itself suffers without funding because Mitch refuses to do his job!
 
Back
Top