Confederate Flag Pride parade in the South

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
Across the Southern states in America, the police closed roads.
In each state, hundreds of trucks flew the Confederate flag,
driving down the roads at good clip.

The truck parade in Dalton, (Close to Tennesee) had a bit of a hiccup.
There are a few videos of the trucks giving each other a fender bender.
There was a policeman parked near the intersection, and the truck at the front decided he would not blow through the intersection.

The Confederate flag parades this past weekend, would not violate anyone's expectations.
Hooting, hollering, people hanging out of the truck windows, hanging out of the truck beds.
Was there alcohol involved ?

Confederate Flag Store Owner Who Said It Has “Nothing to Do With Slavery” Has Close Ties to the KKK

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...ebel-flag-represent-racism-ties-kkk/29325367/

on youtube

Michael Peroutka Calls "I Wish I Was in Dixie" the National Anthem

This man, is so Far Right, he looks down on Conservatives.

"Anyone, including those who identify with the “Tea Party”, who loves America and
desires real reform, would do well to disengage themselves from the Republican Party and their brand of worthless, Godless, unprincipled conservatism."

Across the Southern states in America, the police closed roads.
In each state, hundreds of trucks flew the Confederate flag,
driving down the roads at good clip.

The truck parade in Dalton, (Close to Tennesee) had a bit of a hiccup.
There are a few videos of the trucks giving each other a fender bender.
There was a policeman parked near the intersection, and the truck at the front decided he would not blow through the intersection.

The Confederate flag parades this past weekend, would not violate anyone's expectations.
Hooting, hollering, people hanging out of the truck windows, hanging out of the truck beds.
Was there alcohol involved ?

Confederate Flag Store Owner Who Said It Has “Nothing to Do With Slavery” Has Close Ties to the KKK

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...ebel-flag-represent-racism-ties-kkk/29325367/

on youtube

Michael Peroutka Calls "I Wish I Was in Dixie" the National Anthem

This man, is so Far Right, he looks down on Conservatives.

"Anyone, including those who identify with the “Tea Party”, who loves America and
desires real reform, would do well to disengage themselves from the Republican Party and their brand of worthless, Godless, unprincipled conservatism."

So will no one be allowed to whistle "Dixie"? " I wish I was in the Land of Cotton,old times there are not forgotten?" Will Six Flags over Texas be reduced to five? Will U.S.Army Forts Bragg,Hood,Benning,Bragg,Gordon,Lee,A.P.Hill,Pickett,Polk and Rucker(all named after Confederate Generals...Gordon after LTG John Brown Gordon who was head of the KKK in Georgia post war as well as a governor,and Benning after Henry Benning who was a outspoken supporter of slavery)be renamed Buttercup,Hugs,Smile,Sunrise,Love,Harmony,Nice,Sweet,Kumbya,Pretty and Happy? Oh,hell...just nuke the South,that's the only way to get rid of all those nasty memories.

So will no one be allowed to whistle "Dixie"? " I wish I was in the Land of Cotton,old times there are not forgotten?" Will Six Flags over Texas be reduced to five? Will U.S.Army Forts Bragg,Hood,Benning,Bragg,Gordon,Lee,A.P.Hill,Pickett,Polk and Rucker(all named after Confederate Generals...Gordon after LTG John Brown Gordon who was head of the KKK in Georgia post war as well as a governor,and Benning after Henry Benning who was a outspoken supporter of slavery)be renamed Buttercup,Hugs,Smile,Sunrise,Love,Harmony,Nice,Sweet,Kumbya,Pretty and Happy? Oh,hell...just nuke the South,that's the only way to get rid of all those nasty memories.

US Army Forts will be renamed more friendly names such as Shaniqua, LaQuntia, LaDarius, LaSomething or another.

Great thread GSGS. You have of the racists identifying themselves.

So far though, no new additions, just same old same old.

Well, they're in good company.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...olina-statehouse-confederate-flag-119548.html

The Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan’s Pelham, North Carolina, chapter have reserved the Statehouse Grounds in South Carolina for a rally next month.

James Spears, the Great Titan of the chapter, said the group would be rallying to protest “the Confederate flag being took down for all the wrong reasons.”

Maybe they wouldn't rally if it was to be taken down.

Last edited:
And by the way,'Dixie' was one of President Lincolns favorite songs.
"When a band played at the White House at the end of the war Lincoln asked them to play 'Dixie',saying "I have always thought that 'Dixie' was one of the best tunes I have ever heard". - Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection

Pride in what?

Seriously, proud of what? Losing the stupid war you started so you could keep your slaves? Thinking the Bible was originally written in English. The fewest Yale, Harvard, Oxford graduates? Thinking the South will rise again based on the fact that shit floats?

It's the war flag of racists, most of whom don't realize they fucked themselves so a handful of plantation owners can become rich. Most of you haven't learned. The GOP is helping hedge funds avoid taxes. How much of that moola is trickling down to the whining tea party members? How much of that Koch Industries money are you Confederate flag wavers getting? I'm a Democrat, but thanks to Republicans me and my Wall Street friends are paying basically no taxes. I can't speak for all of them, but we're not pumping any of that money into places proudly flying the flag of losers.

Great thread GSGS. You have of the racists identifying themselves.

So far though, no new additions, just same old same old.
I'm not from the South, but I've known a LOT of southerners, many of whom flew that flag. Very few of whom were racist. The flag doesn't mean the same thing to everybody. I can't understand what that flag means to somebody who grew up in the South, because I didn't. But I know that the meaning (to most of them) has very little to do with racism, and a lot to do with pride. They fought against a more powerful nation for their rights, as they see it, and it was their right to own slaves (at least not to those who think of it now) but their right to secede.

Now slavery certainly was a cause of the Civil War, but it was infinitely more complicated than that, people who state that it was about slavery really should actually research it. I'll sum up and try to succinctly:

The South was concerned that Lincoln would rapidly end slavery, causing their economy to collapse (notably that did happen after the civil war, and they have to completely recover from it, certainly they have never been an economic powerhouse the way they were in the 1850s.) So they seceded in an effort to preserve their economy, this was a bad move, because their economy was rapidly becoming out of date due to the industrial revolution, because the North significantly outnumbered them and had better industrial capabilities, because they were unlikely to attract foreign support, since most foreign nations were staunchly anti-slavery at this point. So while I don't agree with slavery, or with their decision it's a very complicated decision, after all the South, with the exception of the states with significant oil reserves has not reached the same economic prosperity as they had then, EVER again, so we can see why they might have been concerned over that threat.

Edit: And I'm not a racist personally, I've known African Americans and Mexicans whom I trusted my life with, and who trusted me with theirs. I've seen that they work and play and act the same as anyone else. I just understand that the Civil War and the Confederate flag are inherently complex issues.

I'm not from the South, but I've known a LOT of southerners, many of whom flew that flag. Very few of whom were racist. The flag doesn't mean the same thing to everybody. I can't understand what that flag means to somebody who grew up in the South, because I didn't. But I know that the meaning (to most of them) has very little to do with racism, and a lot to do with pride. They fought against a more powerful nation for their rights, as they see it, and it was their right to own slaves (at least not to those who think of it now) but their right to secede.

Now slavery certainly was a cause of the Civil War, but it was infinitely more complicated than that, people who state that it was about slavery really should actually research it. I'll sum up and try to succinctly:

The South was concerned that Lincoln would rapidly end slavery, causing their economy to collapse (notably that did happen after the civil war, and they have to completely recover from it, certainly they have never been an economic powerhouse the way they were in the 1850s.) So they seceded in an effort to preserve their economy, this was a bad move, because their economy was rapidly becoming out of date due to the industrial revolution, because the North significantly outnumbered them and had better industrial capabilities, because they were unlikely to attract foreign support, since most foreign nations were staunchly anti-slavery at this point. So while I don't agree with slavery, or with their decision it's a very complicated decision, after all the South, with the exception of the states with significant oil reserves has not reached the same economic prosperity as they had then, EVER again, so we can see why they might have been concerned over that threat.

Edit: And I'm not a racist personally, I've known African Americans and Mexicans whom I trusted my life with, and who trusted me with theirs. I've seen that they work and play and act the same as anyone else. I just understand that the Civil War and the Confederate flag are inherently complex issues.

So, and I'll try and be succinct as well, some in the south are still trying desperately to cling to a dying way of life.

So, and I'll try and be succinct as well, some in the south are still trying desperately to cling to a dying way of life.

Many of them are. But I'm not sure that the Confederate flag is representative of that. Like I said, I don't understand it, I'm not from there, so I can't understand why they're so proud of their accomplishments or that flag. Well I can understand it intellectually as I described earlier, but I can't replicate their emotional context for it.

Well, they're in good company.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...olina-statehouse-confederate-flag-119548.html

Maybe they wouldn't rally if it was to be taken down.

Perhaps you can attend this rally and gain a better understanding.

Many of them are. But I'm not sure that the Confederate flag is representative of that. Like I said, I don't understand it, I'm not from there, so I can't understand why they're so proud of their accomplishments or that flag. Well I can understand it intellectually as I described earlier, but I can't replicate their emotional context for it.

You can try to reason, or even romanticize how people feel about this flag, but the tide has shifted. Shifted because of.....

Last edited:
Perhaps you can attend this rally and gain a better understanding.

You can try to reason, or even romanticize how people feel about this flag, but the tide has shifted. Shifted because of.....

Absofuckinglutely not. The day I let my opinions be influenced by a madman, is the day I myself become subject to madness. Yes what happened was terrible. But that kid was not a member of a terrorist group committing a terrorist act, he was not fighting for a political agenda under the commands of dark superiors. He was a madman, if he'd read Catcher in the Rye, would you call for it's banning, as many have? We cannot allow madmen to dictate anything to us, since they are by definition mad. Now if he had been ordered by the Aryan Brotherhood to go do what he did, then it might be different, but he wasn't, he was just a madman.

Did you miss the whole clan rally part of that post? Roof=straw

I was referring to your response to me. Of course the Clan rallied around him, they're racist idiots. Like I said, I've known a lot of people who liked confederate flags, several with it tattooed on their body, none of them were racists, nor were they clan members, hell if they'd even been a little bit associated with the clan they'd never have been allowed into my job field in the military.

Just because one group uses a symbol, doesn't mean they own that symbol, or that the symbol is only about them. I imagine that most of the people who fly the confederate flag do it out of pride in their heritage, not because they're pro-slavery or racist.

The clan is rallying around the flag, not Roof.

I'd "imagine" that most southern blacks see this flag as both a symbol of hatred, and a symbol of slavery.

So, let me just ask you clearly, are you against this flag being taken down from government buildings?

The clan is rallying around the flag, not Roof.

I'd "imagine" that most southern blacks see this flag as both a symbol of hatred, and a symbol of slavery.

So, let me just ask you clearly, are you against this flag being taken down from government buildings?

It depends on which government buildings and on why it is being flown there. The one case I'm familiar with is a memorial to Southern Civil War dead, where it is appropriate to have that flag flying, albeit lower than the US flag. In other cases it would depend on why it was there, it's not something you can evaluate wholesale, in the case of a monument for those who died for that flag, whether or not their deaths were right, it's right to have it.

Hell we have a monument to the Vietnam War, which many people believe was wrong, but we still respect those who died in that conflict. Maybe when I am dead they'll have a monument to my war, even though many believed it was wrong (and I was pretty on the fence about the whole thing)

I know of black folks from the south who had confederate flags. Now I'm not willing to generalize for their entire group, but it isn't as black and white as the picture you envision in your head.

So will the Robert E. Lee Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery be razed to the ground?Shall the graves of the Confederate soldiers buried there(who are considered U.S. veterans) be defiled,dug up and abandoned?

"The Confederate Memorial stands in a circular grassy area in the center of Stonewall Jackson Circle in Section 16 in Arlington Cemetery in Arlington VA." Arlington National Cemetery is Federal property,not state property.

Early in President Obama's first term a group of historians including James McPherson asked him to forgo the tradition of sending a wreath on Memorial Day to the Confederate Memorial Monument in Arlington National Cemetery.
President Obama opted to send wreaths to both the Confederate Memorial and the African American Civil War Memorial (also in Arlington).

It depends on which government buildings and on why it is being flown there. The one case I'm familiar with is a memorial to Southern Civil War dead, where it is appropriate to have that flag flying, albeit lower than the US flag. In other cases it would depend on why it was there, it's not something you can evaluate wholesale, in the case of a monument for those who died for that flag, whether or not their deaths were right, it's right to have it.

Hell we have a monument to the Vietnam War, which many people believe was wrong, but we still respect those who died in that conflict. Maybe when I am dead they'll have a monument to my war, even though many believed it was wrong (and I was pretty on the fence about the whole thing)

I know of black folks from the south who had confederate flags. Now I'm not willing to generalize for their entire group, but it isn't as black and white as the picture you envision in your head.

I'm stone-cold certain that any southern black people who flew or wore the confederate flag on their person did so because of casual indifference from multi-generational indoctrination due to influences of region, like most people who are meme vectors for passive, seemingly innocuous symbols they don't genuinely understand or care to understand, until reality comes crashing through the door. I myself religiously watched The Dukes Of Hazzard as a kid and felt an elation whenever Bo and Luke got into the General Lee to wreck shit up. I thought the flag symbol was cool.

That's how it works. That's how it's meant to work. And that blind acceptance serves the ones who put systemic racism and white supremacy into the general fabric of this country.

Some people might tell you a convenient lie that the flag's ugly history is being re-engineered, but they'd be lying to themselves. Facing uncomfortable truths is hard to deal with and unpacking the shit you were raised with to blindly accept is even harder.

Last edited:
I'm stone-cold certain that any southern black people who flew or wore the confederate flag on their person did so because of casual indifference from multi-generational indoctrination due to influences of region, like most people who are meme vectors for passive, seemingly innocuous symbols they don't genuinely understand or care to understand, until reality comes crashing through the door.

Some people might tell you a convenient lie that the flag's ugly history is being re-engineered, but they'd be lying to themselves. Facing uncomfortable truths is hard to deal with and unpacking the shit you were raised with to blindly accept is even harder.

Things change, things don't mean the same thing they did 100 years ago. Nobody that saw that flag in battle is a live, few of the children of the men who saw that flag are alive. I'm not saying that people don't use that flag for racist purposes, or that it doesn't make some people uncomfortable. I'm saying that removing something because it makes us uncomfortable is a VERY dangerous road to go down. Particularly in the case of a flag that commemorates men who died fighting for it. Now if there was a confederate flag flying over a courthouse or a state legislature, I'd likely feel differently, but this is a memorial to men who died fighting for that flag.

I've been to war, and a war I didn't completely agree with, because my country called, I imagine that most of the boys who died for that flag, may not have believed in what we now say it represents. But they still died for that flag, it should still watch over their graves, because in that place they deserve to have won the war. Even if them losing it was the proper thing.

As to Southerners who fly it... Neither you nor I, I imagine can understand it. And I think that banning or hating something I do not fully understand is even more dangerous than banning or hating something that makes me uncomfortable.

Things change, things don't mean the same thing they did 100 years ago. Nobody that saw that flag in battle is a live, few of the children of the men who saw that flag are alive. I'm not saying that people don't use that flag for racist purposes, or that it doesn't make some people uncomfortable. I'm saying that removing something because it makes us uncomfortable is a VERY dangerous road to go down. Particularly in the case of a flag that commemorates men who died fighting for it. Now if there was a confederate flag flying over a courthouse or a state legislature, I'd likely feel differently, but this is a memorial to men who died fighting for that flag.

I've been to war, and a war I didn't completely agree with, because my country called, I imagine that most of the boys who died for that flag, may not have believed in what we now say it represents. But they still died for that flag, it should still watch over their graves, because in that place they deserve to have won the war. Even if them losing it was the proper thing.

As to Southerners who fly it... Neither you nor I, I imagine can understand it. And I think that banning or hating something I do not fully understand is even more dangerous than banning or hating something that makes me uncomfortable.

I do understand, though, what it means to be black from being a black person in America and seeing deeply entrenched racism with supremacy reinforce itself to hold onto a symbol that was used to empower the denial of my ancestors' humanity on all levels.

Agency under that same symbol denied several black people their lives a week plus change ago.

That is all the understanding I require. Others may do as they please, I've unpacked that childhood ignorance, black bagged it, sent it to a landfill and will never again pretend that shit means otherwise.

Back