The Baker's Assistant (closed)

Kayla let out a sigh as he pressed a kiss to her forehead and promised to keep her safe no matter what. She admired that he had such a strong drive within him to do something like that. Their were in love, yes, but that didn't mean that he had to do things for her like this.

"Do you know how to play chess?" She asked him out of the blue, looking up at him with a curious gaze. "I love playing chess. My Da taught me with I was very little. Gale never had the time to play it with me."
 
"Ain' ever played... Is it anythin' like checkers?" Aleister asked. He'd seen the game before, but only in richer homes and among more educated folk. "I saw a game played once... Only knew what th' bishops do."
 
"Sort of." Kayla said as she pulled Aleister to the kitchen and sat him down at the table as she went to retrieve her chess set.

Her Da had made it for her before she left for Edinburgh. It was incredibly special to her and now she was going to teach her best friend how to play. She had a smile on her face that was wide and luminous as she spread out the pieces and got everything set up before she took a seat and started to explain to him about each piece and what it could do.
 
Aleister tried to absorb all the information she gave him, but he inevitably had to check every few turns as to what an piece could do or how the pawns jumped or special moves between king and took. He turned out to be a fair strategist, giving Kayla a hard time of even getting him in check.
 
"Are you sure that you've never played before?" Kayla asked as she struggled to get the upper hand on Aleister. "You are a natural at this. I think you might actually win this game if you put your mind to it."
 
"Well I used t'be a captain in charge o' hit an' run tactics. I've 'ad th' experience," Aleister murmured as he moved his rook. "Tha's... Check, right?"
 
"Check." She agreed as she moved her piece out of danger. "My Da taught me all of his old battalion maneuvers. I don't think it mattered that he had two sons, he wanted to share with his little girl as well. I think it gave me the upper hand in many different chess matches."
 
Aleister stared at the board for a long time, then moved his queen over one space. "Check... Mate?" Her King was cornered between his rooks and queen
 
Kayla was impressed that he had managed to beat her on their very first game. She looked up at him and smiled before she tipped her king over on its side.

"Check mate." She said as she glanced towards the crib where Lynndon was slumbering. "I guess playing with Lynn is more my speed these days." She joked with a soft laugh.
 
"Beginner's luck. An' you were goin' easy on me," Aleister insisted with a smile before he followed her gaze to Lyndon's crib. "He'll be an intelligent lad, what with 'is Ma bein' so patient an' willin' t'teach."
 
"I hope he is. I just want him to be happy above all else." Kayla said softly, looking at Aleister with a smile. "He will know a world that is very different from the one that he might have grown up in with his father. I still want him to know about Gale and I'll be truthful about everything with him, but I want to give him the chance that he never had."
 
Aleister rose to come round and kneel at her side and take her hands. "And we'll give him tha' chance, Kay. I'll do anythin' I can t'make sure of it. He'll grow into a man y'can be proud of."
 
"You talk as if you'll be around forever." Kayla murmured softly as Aleister came to her side and took her hands. "That's a very welcome idea, but I just want you to be certain that this kind of life is really what you want. Having a baby in the picture will change a lot of things."
 
"If I weren't sure, I wouldn' 'ave fallen fer a mother 'r look at 'er son like 'e's my own. I love Lynn, an' I love you." Aleister pressed a kiss to her hand. "This is what I want. It's all up t'you, though."
 
"You're what I want, Aleister." She murmured softly, looking him in the eyes as he pledged to take care of her and Lynndon. "I know that now. I've had a life in the sun and now I want something quiet here in Inverness. You fill that role very nicely."
 
Aleister seemed grateful to hear her say such a thing, and a thought seemed to cross his mind, but he didn't voice it. Instead, he rose to press a kiss to her forehead. "I'll do m'best, love. An' we'll make it t'gether. Lynn'll 'ave all th'love in th'world."
 
"I love you." Kayla said with a smile as he rose and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I hope that you know that, Al."
 
"An' I love you, Kay," he murmured, now kissing her lips.

Only a few weeks later, a letter came all the way from Edinburgh from a man named Warwick, advisor to the queen. Kayla knew him from stories of his advisor role to the late Tamblin and his father role to Cole, his brother Ciaran, and Valentina up until Tamblin's fall. The letter spoke of plans to have Kate come to Edinburgh to meet the council, but Warwick was worried for Marianne. She was sick at heart, lonely, and losing hope. In short, Warwick believed Marianne wouldn't make it a whole year to Kate's coronation, and Marianne needed some joy back in her life. He asked Kayla to come to Edinburgh, all expenses paid, and bring little Lynndon when he was able to take the journey. And she was free to bring someone with her.
 
Kayla stepped into the bakery the day after she received the letter, Lynndon babbling to her in his baby speak as she got his little coat off and hung up on the peg. He was a happy little boy, one that was always watching the world around him with curiosity. He made her laugh countless times and she most definitely thanked her lucky stars that he was so cheerful.

"Aleister?" She called as she stepped into the bake house. "Love, I have something that I need to talk to you about."
 
Aleister was on the floor half inside the fuel door of the back oven, having left it unfired the previous day to cool down so he could replace the cracking stone baking slab. He was currently cleaning out the area where the wood burned so that he wouldn't make a mess when he deconstructed the oven and pulled the baking slab out.

"Yeah, love?" he asked, pausing to look out at her.
 
"I got a letter from Warwick, who is Queen Marianne's adviser. He is asking that I come to Edinburgh with Lynndon. Marianne isn't doing well and she wants to see him." Kayla said softly as she placed Lynndon on the ground of the bake house to play with his pile of toys that Aleister always seemed to be adding to. "He says I can bring along whomever I wish. Would you like to go with me?"
 
Aleister slid out and rose, dusting off the jacket he used to protect his clothes from the soot. "Well... I'd have t'close th'shop fer quite a while t'do tha'. But... yeah. I'll go with you. We migh' need to work a little harder before we leave, though."
 
"Dazu can run the shop while we're going. He and Leon can keep things going, but you know that I never mind a little extra hard work. Timmal and Katya could help him as well." Kayla suggested, knowing that the bakery was his livelihood and taking him away for a long time wasn't the best idea. "Besides, Lynndon would miss seeing you if you stayed here."
 
"I s'pose Dazu could manage... thankfully there ain' any events comin' up." He came to her side with a kiss for her and for Lynndon. "Alrigh'. d'ya mind waitin' a couple days, jus' so I can prepare? I don' want t'leave Dazu with too much work, an' I need t'get tha' oven done."
 
"It'll take me that long to get Lynn packed and ready to go." Kayla said with a smile as Lynndon squealed in happiness as Aleister pressed a kiss to his forehead.
 
Back
Top