Things I wish I had done when I was younger

Tzara

Continental
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Posts
7,608
Spent a (Southern Hemisphere) summer working in Antarctica.
 
Bump. I wish I had appreciated all those stately homes, fantastic (now I see) gardens and castles we were dragged round......here in Canada history is so recent.
 
Off the top of my head...

Spent the summer after high school with my aunt and uncle in Taipei

Taken the job in Chicago that would have let me do lots of international travel

Taken the job at the ad agency in NYC (like Mad Men!)

Had a few flings I talked myself out of

Learned to play the piano
 
I won't go into all I wish I'd done. I'll look at the cusps: what else could I do when I took a certain path? I can point to specifics. A sibling offered to support me through school and we would likely have been lovers. Later, I had to choose between taking a free ride into medical school, marrying into a rich and powerful family, or hooking up with a poor, smart, compatible partner -- I took the latter and don't regret it.

What *could* I have done long ago? Really concentrated on music. Or on writing. Or on dentistry. And/or on fucking every hot body that came my way. And/or drugs. And/or on traveling to every interesting third-world shithole that makes the Gotta Do lists. So much...
 
Hmmmm... been less shy, and more at home in and with my body.
Not been cruel one day to one boy in elementary school. I wish I could tell him how sorry I am for that.

Among the choices I've made, most were choices with two good but alternative paths rather than one good versus one bad (well, perhaps some would quarrel with my definitions...).
 
With the exception of not pursuing flight lessons and astronaut training due to myopia and general klutziness, my situation, like mer's is more about choosing between two good but alternative paths.

In my case it was going to grad school ether than med school. Financially perhaps not the best choice but there is more to life than money.
 
"A life without regrets is a meager feast."

Dropping out of UCLA to play bass guitar in a band full time. One of the hugest mistakes of my life.

Calling my mom a name that no son should EVER call his mother. God, I wish that I could eat my words on that one.

Not being brave or strong enough to defend a gay High School friend who was being bullied.

Voting (once) for Ronald Reagan for President.

Getting a tattoo when I was drunk.

And so it goes.
 
Taken all the chances with ladies that were offered (subtly) I was not worldly wise or confident enough to make the most of my opportunities
 
i had quite a bit of fun as a young man. The only real opportunity I should have taken was I had an opportunity to go to England for 6 months to play rugby. Took a job instead.
 
I wish I would've taken that "Jack Kerouac Summer" I planned when I turned 21.
 
I wish I had never stolen my brother's baby bottle when we were toddlers.

I been getting crap for that every since that day!:mad:
 
I did pretty much what I wanted when I was younger.

Maybe it was a good thing I wasn't born w/a silver spoon in my mouth. Married young?Eh. It was well worth the journey.
 
Read all twenty of Zola's Les Rougon-Macquart. In French.



Would have had to boost the old language skills quite a bit, but y'know. :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top