Please help with something super annoying

blozo

Visit my Patreon!
When I'm typing in the story editor, the cursor will drop all the way to the end of the story at random times. I can't figure out what I'm doing to cause this, and I hate having to constantly scroll back up to the point where I left off.

I've tried creating in MS Word but when I import, the punctuation and spacing gets all jacked up, and really I'd just prefer to have it all done in one spot.

Can anyone at least tell me what I'm doing to cause this?

You're actually typing your story into the submission page? The cursor behavior sounds like something that might happen as part of an automatic backup.

People cut and paste from a word processor to the submission page without problems.

You might try copy/paste your complete manuscript from MS Word, into 'Notepad' which will strip out 'all' the Word hidden programming. (So in your Word file, CTL-A and CTL-C -- then CTL-V in Notebook.)

In 'Notebook' you'll see a much closer version of what you're going to see in the Literotica editing field. Then if you're happy with it in Notebook, cut and paste it into Literotica.

I've noticed the same effect, and I agree it's annoying. It happens sporadically in all the text entry boxes (title, description, etc.)

With the title and description, it means I need to double-check that nothing funny happened while I was typing, but that's not a big deal.

For the story itself, I'll echo the other comments: editing in the submission field is asking for trouble anyway. Best practice is to *always* paste verbatim your most recent version into the text box. In my case this means an extra step of editing the master source document, converting to plain text, and then pasting. But this avoids your problem, as well as other problems, not least the possibility of your own copy of the story having errors you thought you fixed.

Thanks all. I did my first story in word, it was just irritating the way it came out.
I'll try pulling it in to notepad first.
It may be inconvenient, but it's got to be better than what I"m doing now.

Thanks all. I did my first story in word, it was just irritating the way it came out.
You need to configure MSWord to turn off "smart-quotes" and auto-correct and remove paragrah formatting. Using the plain text template will give you a decent starting point, but you really have to dumb-down MSWord to avoid special characters and WYSIWYG formatting.

Wordpad or Notepad saved in "plain text" or "rich text" will also make for easier posting.

You need to configure MSWord to turn off "smart-quotes" and auto-correct and remove paragrah formatting. Using the plain text template will give you a decent starting point, but you really have to dumb-down MSWord to avoid special characters and WYSIWYG formatting.

Wordpad or Notepad saved in "plain text" or "rich text" will also make for easier posting.

The OP might also find that JARTE (http://www.jarte.com/) is a good package to work with. It has a nice Dictionary and all manner of neat little tricks. Files are saved as RTF.
And it's free.

Try saving your file as .rtf, and submit it as an attachment. It strips out unwanted code, and you don't need to cut and paste into the submission box.

I do zero out on paragraph formatting (and include an extra line feed between paragraphs) but for well over a thousand submitted stories, I've never bothered to turn off smart quotes or auto-correct. I just cut and paste the text into the text box straight from regular Word files, and it all turns out in Lit. style.

You might try copy/paste your complete manuscript from MS Word, into 'Notepad' which will strip out 'all' the Word hidden programming. (So in your Word file, CTL-A and CTL-C -- then CTL-V in Notebook.)

In 'Notebook' you'll see a much closer version of what you're going to see in the Literotica editing field. Then if you're happy with it in Notebook, cut and paste it into Literotica.

...or it'll reduce the story to nothing but webdings and other weird shit as the two programs aren't interchangable...

I do zero out on paragraph formatting (and include an extra line feed between paragraphs) but for well over a thousand submitted stories, I've never bothered to turn off smart quotes or auto-correct. I just cut and paste the text into the text box straight from regular Word files, and it all turns out in Lit. style.

It can do funny things when a fully active ms word document is copy/pasted to a simple text box. Usually the smart quotes are broken down in to the code that ms word uses to make them. something like @%e instead of ". But I've never had a problem actually typing in the litbox myself, unless I start typing before the page finishes loading, it'll reset the cursor, maybe move a word when it's done. Usually I have a writing program on my phone, and I copy/paste, but there are some I typed on my phone, that were written in a notebook. In the litbox. I'm on my phone, now. It's my only internet and I don't like lugging my writing laptop to wifi since it needs a new battery to replace it's 10min battery and the charge port is worn out. It's ooollllddd; an IBM z71t running some high end version of home or office XP and has two msword versions on it.

You're actually typing your story into the submission page? The cursor behavior sounds like something that might happen as part of an automatic backup.

People cut and paste from a word processor to the submission page without problems.

That's what I do.

If you're on a laptop, is your thumb perhaps bumping the touch pad by accident?

That kept happening to my mother in law, who threw $ away trying to get someone to fix her new laptop. Finally my wife watched while she was typing and caught it.

I've tried creating in MS Word but when I import, the punctuation and spacing gets all jacked up, and really I'd just prefer to have it all done in one spot.

I submitted my first story in MS word without a problem and didn’t have to change anything in order to do so. Since then I’ve continued to write in Word and changed it to .rtf for submission because I was told Laurel prefers it in that format.

I never copy and paste. My stories are all in folders so I use “select a file” and never had a problem.

Back