Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 05-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #151
49greg
Literotica Hack

Rereading "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth. I've read it before, I think, but back when it was newly published in the seventies.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #152
barefootgirl69
His Wild Little Cupcake

The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver before bed, and

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain in the afternoon. Just_e and I are reading it together.
~bfg~ Proud Playgrounder #369

And though she be but little, she is fierce ~ Shakespeare

A little story

bdsmtest.org
100% Submissive - 100% Ageplayer - 100% Rope bunny -
100% Girl/Boy - 97% Brat - 88% Slave - 83% Primal (Prey) -
52% Experimentalist - 44% Pet - 42% Vanilla - 4% Masochist -
1% Exhibitionist - 1% Voyeur - 0% Degradee - 0% Switch
0% Non-monogamist

~Belongs to E~
♡ His little Satsuma ♡

Old 06-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #153
SolarRay
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I rented (for a year as a vacation house) the villa in Cyprus where Lawrence Durrell wrote much of the Alexandria Quartet (my landlady was Justine from his quartet)
What - what - what? Please PM me and tell me more?

I recently finished Durrell's "Justine" for the first time since ages ago and I'm halfway through "Balthazar" now, in my mission to complete the Alexandria Quartet, which is absolutely fascinating to me. I picked up a used copy of his selected travel writings and I'm snacking on that in between. -- BTW, Does anyone else explore their influences in the erotica they submit here? I've noticed that the more overtly stylistic stuff tends to get less attention from my readers, but that's okay. My latest story ("Love is a Kind of Madness") is stylistically Durrell's "Justine" with a narrative inspired by Lou˙s' "The Woman and the Puppet" and was great fun to write.

Stories by SolarRay

Recently posted:
The Washing (erotic encounters): Students share love & lust in an annual cleansing ritual.
Straight Girl Problems (lesbian sex): Her BFFs are straight. There's a first time for everything. -- 2018 Nude Day winner
Pushing Buttons, Trending Turn-Ons (exhibitionist/voyeur): A kinky couple and a naked tweet.

"Oh! perpetually fertilized, virgin and nurse of all that is, chaste and lascivious, pure and revelling, ineffable, nocturnal, sweet, breather of fire, foam of the sea!" - Hymn to Astarte

Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #154
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Just finished enjoying "As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning" and "A Moment of War" by Laurie Lee. He was an english writer who left home in England in 1934 and went to London, then decides to go to Spain where he walks the country, before being caught up in the Spanish Civil War. "As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning" is his story of his travels around Spain and it's a really good look at the country just before the outbreak of the Civil War.

In "A Moment of War", he describes his joining the Republicans after the outbreak of the Civil War and fighting with them.

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Old 06-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #155
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voboy View Post
Rereading Bernard Fall's "Hell in a Very Small Place." I've read it several times; the man was a prophet in all his books, but this one? Knowing the outcome of the siege, you read about the French optimism and efforts and just shake your head in sorrow.

Saddest book I've ever read.
Isn't it. I lifted that one a while ago and also read "Street Without Joy" at the same time. It's interesting talking to my vietnamese granddad about the French colonial period and what happened - he has his own perspective on all of that.

"Devil's Guard" by Robert Elford is also one I've always found fascinating. I have an old and battered copy I lifted from my granddad years ago - I was a bloodthirsty child, I admit it - and I found it fascinating. Both my granddads said it was BS but it's sure an interesting book.

Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Old 06-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #156
TANSTAAFL58
Really Experienced

I have been searching for my copy of "Friday" by RAH for my first summer book. I can't seem to find it, but I found "Darker Than Amber" by John D. MacDonald. Travis McGee awaits.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #157
Valint
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
Love Eric Nylund. He's written a few Halo novels which I don't enjoy that much but the Mortal Coil series are great if you like YA fantasy. Mortal Coils and All That Lives Must Die are books 1 and 2 in a proposed 5 book series.
Big fan of this series. I'd recommend them to urban fantasy fans even if you don't like YA fantasy. Interesting setting and characters (with some nice guess-the-mythological-figure games) that he does fun things with.

Shame that the series got stuck in limbo, though I'd recommend others trying the first book out even with that: Omit its last few chapters, and it would have worked as a standalone.

Never really got into his other books, though. I rated these two as borderline 5 stars, while the best his other books got were a borderline 3 stars (though, to be fair, my rating system is pretty harsh ).

Old 06-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #158
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valint View Post
Big fan of this series. I'd recommend them to urban fantasy fans even if you don't like YA fantasy. Interesting setting and characters (with some nice guess-the-mythological-figure games) that he does fun things with.

Shame that the series got stuck in limbo, though I'd recommend others trying the first book out even with that: Omit its last few chapters, and it would have worked as a standalone.

Never really got into his other books, though. I rated these two as borderline 5 stars, while the best his other books got were a borderline 3 stars (though, to be fair, my rating system is pretty harsh ).
Yes, borderline 5 stars. I think part of his issue with the publisher over the series was the target market. He inclined to urban fantasy and I think the publishers were pushing YA and they didn't agree and won't relinquish the rights so he can go elsewhere. It is a shame it's stuck.

And today's relaxing read is "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" followed by "Sin City"by Ralph Shaw. "Sin City" looks fascinating - Shanghai in the 1930's, a real-life memoir by an english journalist who lived and worked there

Last edited by ChloeTzang : 06-24-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #159
Valint
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
And today's relaxing read is "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" followed by "Sin City"by Ralph Shaw. "Sin City" looks fascinating - Shanghai in the 1930's, a real-life memoir by an english journalist who lived and worked there
You have an interestingly eclectic taste in books. Have you considered putting up your reading list on Goodreads?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #160
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valint View Post
You have an interestingly eclectic taste in books. Have you considered putting up your reading list on Goodreads?
I just signed up on Goodreads. I should look at doing that.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #161
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Write Naked:A Bestseller's Secrets to Writing Romance & Navigating the Path to Succes by Jennifer Probst. - found some interesting insights into the writing process here but it is also heavily autobiographical. It's funny and well written, so easy to read. The best was probably the honest personal experience, there's not a lot about writing romance in here at all. I won't say it's going to be on my bookshelf (I borrowed it from the library) but it did give me some good insights.

Probably the best was her reference to Michael Ventura's essay, "The Talent of the Room" which she quotes in full and seeing as it's been published across the internet, I've pasted in a few excerpts here - and here's a link to the essay if you're interested in reading in full.

“The only thing you really need,” I tell these people, “is the talent of the room. Unless you have that, your other talents are worthless.”

Writing is something you do alone in a room. Copy that sentence and put it on your wall because there’s no way to exaggerate or overemphasize this fact. It’s the most important thing to remember if you want to be a writer. Writing is something you do alone in a room.

Before any issues of style, content or form can be addressed, the fundamental questions are: How long can you stay in that room? How many hours a day? How do you behave in that room? How often can you go back to it? How much fear (and, for that matter, how much elation) can you endure by yourself? How many years — how many years — can you remain alone in a room?

and...

Remember, even if you’re financially successful at writing, and even if success comes early, you still have to spend the rest of your life in that room. Money and recognition make many things easier, but they don’t change the basic conditions of writing. You may furnish the room better, but you still have to enter it alone and stay there until something happens.

That really resonated with me because I think we all feel the truth in that. When you write, you write alone. It's only yourself and the words and the story, nothing else, and you just need to sit there and write. By yourself. Alone. For as long as it takes.... The book was worth it to me, just for that one insight.

Last edited by ChloeTzang : 08-08-2018 at 06:05 AM.