As The Hospital Pervs-- It's Overtime Time

I do not miss that anymore. Now I say "this one is dying. That one is dead but levo and a vent are keeping them alive". But I also sit and watch patients die because there is no one to put a line in at night.

You'll do good on the test. The albuterol was kind of a last ditch effort. I honestly can't remember how effective it was. The only thing I wasn't really familiar with was external pacemakers. I saw them a few times in my LPN days, never when I was an RN on the floor. So anytime I have them I have to look up things and just pretend I know what I'm talking about. But there were a couple questions about that.
 
I do not miss that anymore. Now I say "this one is dying. That one is dead but levo and a vent are keeping them alive". But I also sit and watch patients die because there is no one to put a line in at night.

You'll do good on the test. The albuterol was kind of a last ditch effort. I honestly can't remember how effective it was. The only thing I wasn't really familiar with was external pacemakers. I saw them a few times in my LPN days, never when I was an RN on the floor. So anytime I have them I have to look up things and just pretend I know what I'm talking about. But there were a couple questions about that.
It's all about looking, being calm in a crisis-- once you panic you can't think right. :rose:

I can't wait to pass the exam!
 
I guess it's car crash season. I keep trying to find order when there is no order.
It's weird- we fill up with violent injuries, clear them out and then fill up with crash injuries. So who is running the show? What is the correlation? I need to see this on a linear graph.
 
We had a crowd of people crashing their cars, into buildings. Again.

Storm on Monday, maybe. Playing the game, of if, what, when, and how.
 
We had a crowd of people crashing their cars, into buildings. Again.

Storm on Monday, maybe. Playing the game, of if, what, when, and how.
Most of our crashes are ETOH related this week. And just like that February is gone. Did I blink my eyes? I have off the next three days, if I don't work OT on Sunday.

Everybody knows I don't like OT-- but it's busy. I won't work OT if it's poor management staffing issues. I will work OT to help with overflow.

The storm, I can't wait for the season. I want the lightening. I want to feel the thunder in my chest. I want some relief. I want my pink rain boots on.

I want to slosh in the mud and shower in the rain. That is a lot of wants.
 
Blood Types

Has anyone considered, or researched about eating specific foods, exercising specific ways, or thought about personality associated with blood type?

I just started reading about this, and may conduct my own mini-research. I find the history of blood type interesting. Who are you? What is your genetic model? Is there significance dating back to the start of man?

You can find out your blood type with with a cheap kit.
 
Mmm I was concerned there would be EKGs I need to read, nope. They did ask a question about it. Only a few questions about hematology and oncology stuff. Neuro, cardiac, and pulmonary are your bread and butter on there. If you're not googling things at work, then you're probably going to be fine. I had a book with practice questions and rationales for answers. That's all I used to review. And life experience. As long as you're a decent test taker you'll be fine. It's like every nursing test "what's the least wrong answer" is what you pick.

It's like life. There is no such thing as a fact. The best you can do is choose the least unattractive option.
 
Has anyone considered, or researched about eating specific foods, exercising specific ways, or thought about personality associated with blood type?

I just started reading about this, and may conduct my own mini-research. I find the history of blood type interesting. Who are you? What is your genetic model? Is there significance dating back to the start of man?

You can find out your blood type with with a cheap kit.

A+

Do a lot of people not know their own blood type?
 
The urine was scant
The sputum was thick goo
The poop smells like c-diff
And so do you.

:heart:
Hi janey! Long time no chat!

Reading back, I saw this post and had to giggle. We have a c diff pt right now that I've been fortunate enough (yes that's sarcasm) to be her RN every.single.shift that I've worked during her admission. I'll explain the significance of that in a moment. When she was admitted, the ID doc came and asked about her. Matter of factly, I told the doc she has c diff. Doc asked how I know. I gave that look that every doctor has learned to trust from a seasoned RN and simply told her I know that smell from a mile away. Doc said that's good enough for her and started the c diff treatment regimen. Not 5 minutes after she left, the lab called to confirm my "diagnosis."

Why is it significant? I've been a patient more than an RN the past few weeks. I have every GI symptom in the book except bleeding, constipation, and that god awful c diff smell. Nausea, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, diarrhea, and LLQ pain. It's all I can do to walk in that room with a straight face.

I was in the ER 2x in 12 hrs. They scanned me - with contrast - both times. Pissed off my kidneys to no end. I stayed in the hospital 3 days then went home and promptly got even sicker. I honestly thought I could die but my fried kidneys created AMS and I was too confused to even call 911. Eventually another trip to the ER where they threatened another scan but wisely chose not to when I immediately burst into tears. Check labwork first, and my creatinine was sky high. Another doc made the wise decision to listen to the RN. Bolus 2L NS, hit me with every IV drug in the department for nausea and pain, and sent me home again. BBB from here at Lit came to take me home. He said I was so wobbly and confused that he was scared to leave me home alone till my roommate got home.

I still don't have a Dx, but my GI guy happens to be a dear friend. He's gonna scope me next week to try to find an answer. It can't come too soon. I've been dealing with this since October. But I go in every day and take care of my little c diff pt. somehow I've managed not to throw up in her room. I consider that alone to be a huge victory.
 
It is about choices and decisions, and sometimes it's the least wrong answer you have to choose. I prefer facts, clearly defined subjects and a flowsheet to document.

A+

Do a lot of people not know their own blood type?
I am pretty sure that most people do not know their blood type. Most women that have had children should know because they test for that. If you have had surgery, or blood transfusions you would find out. Blood typing is not a part of any routine health check up. Surely Military persons would know their blood type.

When I come up with a design for my personal study interest I will use those who know their blood type compared with those who do not know to test the theory that I read about. Not serious research, just a curious question.

When I get back I will look up your blood type and see what it says, or you could just search type A diet and check it out.
 
Hi janey! Long time no chat!
I flipped out on a Resident that ordered CT with contrast to rule out PE, knowing the patient would be given contrast the next day for :heart: cath.

I was so upset I said: Renal Failure in the future and it's all going to be your fault! Hold that weight in your heavy order pen.

I frightened him so much that he at least ordered gentle hydration with IVF prior and post contrast. It's the little things that drive me crazy.

I have to go somewhere, brave the outside world. I will be back to finish this note!

:heart:
 
I've been a patient more than an RN the past few weeks.
It has to be terrible to be on the other side of the bed. I can't stand a needle stick. I am a mess at the GYN for routine, my pelvis clamps down on the cold speculum and he can't even get in there. My knees start knocking. I look at the ceiling and say to myself: it's almost over, it's almost over. I say out loud: sorry, sorry, ok.

I can't imagine what you are going through. GI is actually complicated. It's the largest system in the body, um I guess except for integumentary. I hope they find out soon what the problem is. I am on this eat right for your blood type thing-- but I am still doing the research.

Anyway-- the scope! I hope you get some versed and fentanyl. :rose:

Take it easy at work, you can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself, you know they always say that. And yet somehow we show up, shift after shift.

c-diff-- we have three on our unit right now and ID is following to see if we spread it.
1,2,3 bam.
---

I am going in, on my day off for...... A staff meeting!
 
Why didn't he order Mucomyst for your patient to help their kidneys? I've discovered that there are two things you simply don't want to piss off - your kidneys and your colon. When they're pissed off....holy hell.

I'm a horrible patient. I try to keep it under control since I know how bad I am, and the nurses love taking care of me. I never use the call light; I will call their zone phones when I need something, and even then, it's something I absolutely can not do for myself.

Oh honey, we don't give Ver/sub for scopes! I'll get the good stuff! Dip! WOOHOOO! I'm actually considering having it done sans anesthesia. I can be a second pair of eyes if I'm awake. The tech who'll be assisting isn't a trained endo tech. She's a surg tech who helps out in endo. A second pair of trained eyes significantly increases the chances of finding pathology. I don't know for sure if I'll go that far tho. It's not because I'm afraid of the pain; I just like the Diprivan sleep too much to turn it down when it's offered. :D

Ya know nurses are superwomen. There have been days that I just pray nobody crashes because I simply don't have the energy to handle an emergency. I always tell my pts' caregivers to put their own oxygen mask on before trying to attend to the needs of their loved ones. Somehow that doesn't apply to me.

You're a better nurse than I am. I don't go in on my day off for staff meetings. If it's that important, they can catch us at work either before or after our shift.
 
Take The Dip!

That day with the CT with contrast was a nightmare, the patient was transferring out for a higher level of cardiac care. :heart: And these nutjob(s) decided they wanted to CT for PE protocol first. The patient was already on heparin infusion for NSTEMI. I lost the battle against contrast. They didn't give the renal prep except for fluids. My only consolation is that when I gave nurse report to the receiving facility I let her know.

You need to rest! Take the Dip! Be the patient, you have to relax, let a little worry free, and enjoy the sleep. The GI MD will figure it out. I can just imagine you directing the procedure from the bed! Don't do it!

Yeap, I went in for one hour on my day off. It's every month, and sometimes I get lucky if it's a day I am working. It's OK to miss some, but we are expected to be there. It's usually when we get told nicely what we are not doing well, and what we are doing well. You know how policy and practice changes every month. This month we got it about the code blue forms and it's hard because every code off unit is recorded by the location nurse. I am sorry: I can't push meds, work the defibrillator, and record at the same time. Somehow it's our job at the end to make sure the recording is done right before we sign off, and have the MD sign.

I am not an advocate of recording off the recorder sheet, but I think I will like it better, that way they can fill it out properly. It's different on unit because we are used to the forms.

I hope you feel better soon. :rose:
 
It is about choices and decisions, and sometimes it's the least wrong answer you have to choose. I prefer facts, clearly defined subjects and a flowsheet to document.


I am pretty sure that most people do not know their blood type. Most women that have had children should know because they test for that. If you have had surgery, or blood transfusions you would find out. Blood typing is not a part of any routine health check up. Surely Military persons would know their blood type.

When I come up with a design for my personal study interest I will use those who know their blood type compared with those who do not know to test the theory that I read about. Not serious research, just a curious question.

When I get back I will look up your blood type and see what it says, or you could just search type A diet and check it out.

The blood type diet scheme is bullshit.
 
Back
Top