Question

chicki

Virgin
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Posts
13
Hi,

How much time does it take generally for an editor to read a story ?

I have given my work to an editor. Just curious how much time it takes.

Regards,
Chicki
 
Last edited:
How long is your story? How may words?

I recently gave the standard time to edit text in the publishing word (which includes reading it). 2,000 words per hour. That's the standard, which can go up and down depending on the condition of the work.
 
Then less than two hours to edit it, review the edit, make any notes to go with it, and send it back to you.
 
That is the professional standard, but you need to remember that the majority here and volunteers and do not have the professional training.

Real life sometimes gets in the way, but that is no excuse for not communicating any delays back to the author, whether it be real life interruption or the work is more complex than expected.

I always give an estimated time for completion and return of the work, bearing in mind my time available and how complex the work appears at first glance, and wil update that if any delay occurs.
 
It's not like two hours for a professional editor equals two weeks for a volunteer "editor." If the volunteer "editor" requires that much of a difference he/she shouldn't be volunteering to edit. :rolleyes:
 
It's not like two hours for a professional editor equals two weeks for a volunteer "editor." If the volunteer "editor" requires that much of a difference he/she shouldn't be volunteering to edit. :rolleyes:

LOL Maybe Lit should start requiring all VE's to have professional editing experience and no private life, on top of editing for free. :)
 
LOL Maybe Lit should start requiring all VE's to have professional editing experience and no private life, on top of editing for free. :)

If they went to that extent (which they won't) they might as well vet them well enough so that the author doesn't actually know more about writing than the supposed volunteer editor does. There was an example noted on a thread yesterday where, if the story had actually had an editor, as claimed, the editor knew little about rudimentary English composition.
 
LOL Maybe Lit should start requiring all VE's to have professional editing experience and no private life, on top of editing for free. :)

I agree. Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations of the free help they are getting. It stinks, because that kind of thing makes it where the editor doesn't WANT to help a jerk.
Not saying there aren't any time constraints that I would consider too much, but still.
 
Ask for an update after 2 weeks. If they don't respond, they've ghosted and you should look for someone else.
 
Back
Top