Small town country boys and girls

redgryphon

Really Experienced
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Posts
103
Hi everyone! Redgryphon here starting trouble and fun all over again. Since my Illinois Friends thread has been so much fun I decided to open my arms to all you small town, country people out there. Would love to see all your pix and share in your stories of down to earth real country living.
 

Attachments

  • 2012-04-28_17-40-20_319.jpg
    2012-04-28_17-40-20_319.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 287
Eeeeeek Mouse!

Ok I really don't freak out over mice but they are still annoying little beasties. My house is technically in town (a town of about 450 ppl) but it is on the farthest street north and the wooded back portion butts up to the field and route 10 so I guess I will just have to live with the occasional mouse. My recent ambush by conifer bug aside, I don't really freak out about bugs either...except crickets...YUCK! I don't know what it is but their creepy barbed legs can get stuck in your clothes or hair and there is that sickening crunch if you step on em...yeah. Bring on the snakes and rats and spiders as long as it isn't crickets.

Soooo, how is everyone else doing today? lol
 
Hi everyone! Redgryphon here starting trouble and fun all over again. Since my Illinois Friends thread has been so much fun I decided to open my arms to all you small town, country people out there. Would love to see all your pix and share in your stories of down to earth real country living.

I used to drive up and down Route 10 quite often. I lived in Central IL almost my whole life in a town of 1,200. A great way to grow up, you just never met very many Litsters...lol
 
hi guys!

Well, power being out but flickering back on for a few minutes at a time all day sunday, I guess we are lucky nothing got fried. All in all it was an interesting day. Now people understand why I insist on a gas stove and all those pretty oil lamps aren't just for decoration. Had a bunch of laundry I was going to do sunday that got put off till today though. Oh well. all done and put away. Tomorrow's agenda? mop downstairs and get my truck in to have the heater looked at. just not as hot as it should be. Other than that it is a kick ass truck. There is just one design flaw that I would looooove to discuss with Dodge. Seatbelts integrated into the seats suck ass. I have to lean completely over and make sure my waist length hair is far out of the way before I unbuckle my seatbelt or the damn thing tries to swallow me whole! That and nobody freakin carries cute seat covers that fit my seats.
 
Sunset (last year) from the S. end of my alley...
8384884201_46b58e886d_m.jpg
 
Is the romanticism of living in small town America all that real? Or just a fantasy? I'd love to live in a small town where everyone was close and friendly (maybe too friendly) ;)
 
I love living in a small town. Big cities are exciting for a short visit, but exhausting and altogether intimidating.

I used to go running through the woods late at night, with only the stars as companions. It was amazing and some of my best memories.
 
couldn't agree more, Vikitty

In my little town of 450 people, we don't have door to door mail service. Everyone has a po box so you meet and greet everyone at least a couple of times a week when you go get the mail. The village hall is a couple doors down and lots of old timers congregate down there for coffee and conversation. The kids run all over town even after dark and they rarely get into any trouble because everyone would know about it by noon the next day. Our house is THE original manor house in town and we are only the third owners so we even have the original purchase orders for the leaded glass front windows, etc. The grandaughter of the man who built the house came by for coffee and to chat and on halloween, we met pretty much everybody in town because my daughter and I dressed up to hand out candy instead of going out herself. When we were moving in the fridge and stove, the man 2 doors down saw us and came by to help out for no reason except to be neighborly. How often do you find that in a big city?

I would love to hear about all the fun and interesting things you guys love and hate about small towns because it is definitely a different way to live :D
 
In my little town of 450 people, we don't have door to door mail service. Everyone has a po box so you meet and greet everyone at least a couple of times a week when you go get the mail. The village hall is a couple doors down and lots of old timers congregate down there for coffee and conversation. The kids run all over town even after dark and they rarely get into any trouble because everyone would know about it by noon the next day. Our house is THE original manor house in town and we are only the third owners so we even have the original purchase orders for the leaded glass front windows, etc. The grandaughter of the man who built the house came by for coffee and to chat and on halloween, we met pretty much everybody in town because my daughter and I dressed up to hand out candy instead of going out herself. When we were moving in the fridge and stove, the man 2 doors down saw us and came by to help out for no reason except to be neighborly. How often do you find that in a big city?

I would love to hear about all the fun and interesting things you guys love and hate about small towns because it is definitely a different way to live :D

I remember riding my bike up town as a kid to get the mail at the post office. As a 14 year old it wasn't unusual to see us riding our dirt bikes out of town and riding through the corn fields or along the railroad tracks. Of course the bigger snows would be fun as we'd tie the sled behind a car and go flying through town. It is a wonder that we survived...lol
 
born and raised

I was born and raised in the town of about 500 that I still live in. I couldn't imagine living anywhere besides an old dirt road. Good times and better people in small town Texas
 
small town

I used to live in a small town in Indiana called Tin Cup Pop 15!!!!! Still live in Indiana but in country near a much bigger town.
 
sittin on the porch

There is nothing like a warm night, a porch swing, and strong arms around me. Love that! Same goes for the tailgate of a pick up way out on a country road.
 
There is nothing like a warm night, a porch swing, and strong arms around me. Love that! Same goes for the tailgate of a pick up way out on a country road.

Spent many a night tailgating out in country in a pickup truck. We used to get a cooler, turn on the music, dance and do whatever else came natural! :D
 
So pretty out here

I love that it is so quiet here. The whole town is only about 5 blocks long and 3 blocks wide. In the evening all you can hear is the hum of a big rig engine parked on Maple street and the occasional buzz of tires going over those ridged patches out in the distance on route 10 that warn you a stop sign is coming up. At dawn and dusk you hear the mated pair of great horned owls that live on our property hooting at each other. Watching the sun come up, drinking my coffee. So peaceful. It just makes me want to cuddle. :heart:
 
messages

As always, if you visit our friendly little thread, feel free to drop a quick post. We love to meet new people! And if you like, you can always PM. I answer every message that isn't totally creepy or rude ;)
 
Where are all the naughty farm girls these days? I seem to recall a few (a million years ago) when I was a teenager that could drink, shoot, wrestle, and cuss with the guys but when prom or homecoming came around they were the picture of girly girls. Granted, their wrestling was either trying to keep us guys away or take advantage of us, depending on their mood...


Red- I luv your sig. makes me smile every time I see it.
 
Been living in a small town for a looong while on the east end of Long Island. But with many area hamlets out here, the population quadruples come summer tourist season. I wouldn't trade the quiet and slower pace for anything.
Only thing for me, an older (53) divorced male, meeting single woman is difficult as they seem few and far between. And while a good thing about small town life is that everyone knows just about everyone, they also know just about everything about everyone else's lives. Word spreads fast. So it seems "friends with benefits" type situations are even more underground and harder to come by.
Still, memories of playing in the woods and fields, and fishing and skinny dipping with friends when I was young -- and a few adult friends over the years -- make it so special a place to be.
 
Inconvenience vs seclusion

Ok, yeah it does suck to have to drive to the next town for gas. I am in the same boat there. I am told that there used to be one here in town but it closed about 30 years ago. We currently have grain silos, a restaurant, a bank, a post office (because there is no door to door delivery and we all have po boxes), and the village hall. Not much else and I am on the last street on the far north end of town so my back yard behind that little wooded grotto pic I posted, is nothing but field and in the distance route 10. Sooooo worth not having gas in town!
 
I seem to recall a few (a million years ago) when I was a teenager that could drink, shoot, wrestle, and cuss with the guys but when prom or homecoming came around they were the picture of girly girls.
Right here. I can also split wood, fish, 4 wheel-drive, and have had many a tailgate parties in the woods... just so you know.
 
I don't live in a small town at the moment (ex wanted a house in the suburbs and I haven't been able to afford to move) but have lived in smallish towns and also way out in the country both as a kid and as an adult. I consider myself pretty down to earth, actually down to earth for most women. More attracted to practical than flash. LOL
I'm self-sufficient as I can be. Heat with wood, do all my own repairs if at all possible, though I do have a fondness for Guinness and single malt scotch. Basically if I enjoy something I will, I don't care if someone calls it snooty or too redneck.
 
Back
Top