Against All Odds (closed for silvertongue217)

Two weeks later

Two glorious weeks, weeks of texting non stop, two weeks of meet ups each better than the last.

In short two weeks of perfect

"Is tonight the night?" David asked eyeing him as Clark pulled on his best buttomn shirt.

"When I kiss her and ask her to go steady?" Cklark asked turning and grinning "yep"

"Clark no one asks to gp steady any more" David said shacking his head "are you sure you haven't even met another girl yet!"

"Sure as shit" Clark said snorting and going to the door "don't wait up"

He stepped out running a hand through his hair. He pulled at his black fitted button t shirt wondering if she would like it as she moved to meet her at the front of the campus.
 
The past two weeks had flown by. Is was a dazzling mix of uni, night life and Clark. Emily found herself falling for him hard, and as she did a small niggling part of her was starting to dread when it all turned to shit.

"You look nice!" Her Nan said as Emily walked into he lounge room, cane in hand. "Not taking Nyx tonight? You know, I wish you would Em."

Emily shook her head and straightened out the lacy red dress she was wearing. Well, at least her Nan has assured her it was red when she bought it

"No, poor old Nyx needs a break. I'll be fine Nan, Clark is the perfect gentleman."

Her Nanna sighed.

"It's not him I'm worried about Dear," she tutted as Emily snagged her bag from the hook and slipped into her coat.

"Love you Nan," Emily sighed.

~*~

The trip on the subway was a familiar one, and Emily knew just where to meet Clark. After their first lunch date he had cottoned on quickly, always waiting kn the same place for her. It was another testament to how wonderful he was that she hadn't even needed to ask him to do it. As she approached she slowed, acting hesitant as though she didn't know he was, she pulled hwr cane up straight and waited. He was always waiting for her, Clark. She brushed her dress down nervously, hoping he liked that and the very modest heels she had braved foe him.
 
He did

He would tell her of course but she could sense it to

The moinute his eyes saw her

The slight widening

The rush of warmth


Gun fire that was his heart

He moved and stumbled ever so slightly as he rushed to meet her

"You look" Clark said taking her hands "lovely"

He took her hands and as always kissed them before threading their hands together

"As always you pick thee venue" Clark said smiling at her "where to?"
 
The brush of his lips on her fingers stole Emily's breath. Two weeks and the effect had not dimmed. She smiled, leaning against his arm as she set her cane before her.
"Central Park tonight," She informed him, "King of all dates for self-respecting New Yorkers. And for those new to the city too."

Emily tugged then in the right direction.

"Have you been there before? I can only get us there by subway. Igmd you want to navigate it would be a lovely walk." She offered, willing to bust out of her comfort zone and familiar routes with her cane for him. She trusted him that much.
 
"I can try to" he said shrugging and smiling at her

" I haven't been but know the route" Clark said leading them down the block. They walked together for a few minutes in comfortable silence.

"So we have been doing this for two weeks now" Clark said nervously "and its been perfect to me at least"
 
Emily smiled as they walked down the street, enjoying the companionable silence. She wasn't used to walking down the avenues. At night she stuck to the back streets and roof top. She knew the lay of city like the back of her hand, but walking down the streets in the early evening with a cane was new to her entirely.

"I've enjoyed it too," she said, a ripple of worry coursing through her. It sounded like there was going to be a but. Her hand unconsciously
Lt tightened around his as she waited for whatever easy let down he had prepared. Why, she wondered, couldn't he dump her oved the phone. Most girls though it was the worst way to so things,but right now she thought it sounded grand...
 
"So I was hoping we could do this more often" Clark said not even noting her worry "I mean make it more official"

He turned stopping her on the street and gently touching her face "would you like to date?" He asked

And then he really did hear how lame it sounded

"Exclusively?" He asked before groaning "ugh thaty sounds like shit!"
 
Clark's words rushed through Emily, releasing a wave of utter relief. When he turned her to face him, she was sure she had the goofiest smile on her blushing face. She could sense the nerves radiating from him, sense it in the set of his jaw and the way his hands shook almost imperceptibly.

"Yes! Yes, of course!" She blurted, her voice holding a small laugh of glee. "Oh Clark, I thought you were going to tell me you didn't want to see me any more! She reached out, placing a hand on his chest. "But that's not shit at all! It is perfect. Yes, we can make it a thing!"
 
"Tell you..." Clark said at a loss of words before he burst into laughter

"You thought" Clark said laughing hard "are you crazy?!"

He shook his head grabbing her and pulling her in close. He picked her up pinning her for a second before sitting her down. He leaned in and finally their lips met a deep firm kiss that sent her body and his a flame.
 
Emily couldn't help but laugh with him, his joy was infectious like that. She was lightheaded and dizzy with relief, but she still managed to sense him as he moved towards her. For the first time in her life she didn't pull back as someone tried to grapple with her, she let him lift her, holding their bodies close together as she trilled with amusement. When he set her down her arms remained around him. She felt the heat of his breath and tasted the sweetness of it a moment before his lips were upon hers, parting, exploring, their tongues meeting in a passionate dance. She could smell his arousal, fell her own, and it all mixed together into a terribly wonderful thing. When she pulled back she was breathless.

"Good god Clark," she tutted between breaths, "how am I meant to concentrate on a date when you kiss me like that?"
 
"I thought that was the date?" Clark said coming back up for her. It was obvious her kiss had effectyed him. His arousal his desire for her were all painfully apparent.

"I mean park means kissing my nrew girl friend right?" Clark said that goofy all american grin on his face as he leaned in to kiss her once more. They danced in the street kissing deeply as every thing melted away.
 
Nemesis limped down the alley way, her body aching as her chest flamed with pain. It was hard to breathe, but she had to keep moving.

The quiet she had enjoyed for months had been just that. The quiet before a storm.

The thugs she and Hell Cat had turned over had been part of a larger, sinister, drug and weapon smuggling ring. They had gotten off their charges, of course, some bullshit technicality made up by their in-the-pocket slimeball lawyers. Not for the first time, Nemesis wondered if going after the lawyers would give her more success than chasing the thugs. At least that way the bastards would stay in jail.

She had been right, it seemed, she had thought that something had to turn to shit. Her personal life was better than it had ever been, her and her new beau falling into an easy and wonderful relationship. Though for every leap forward that Emily and Clark took, Nemesis had a giant kick back.

The gang, it seemed, had it out for her and Hell Cat now. The city was crawling with their members, rising out of the darkness like rats from the sewers. Their numbers were alarming, and Nemesis was wondering if she had finally bitten off more than she could chew.

Like tonight...

She limped back home, confident she had shaken her foes, yet still burdened by the injuries she had received in order to escape them.

The only consolation was that she had made progress. Tonight's thugs were dumber than the previous ones she had encountered, and had let slip a single name and a time.

Maestro, 22:45.

She had never heard this before, but at least she had a lead. She made a mental hunt to hunt down Hell Cat in two nights time. She would have gone for the next evening, but she had plans she didn't want to break.

~*~

Emily walked through the familiar halls of her home, her hands habitually held before her. She heard Nyx's claws skittering on the floor behind her as she rushed.

"Come on Nyx," Emily begged, "shoe, help my find my shoe !"

Normally everything in this apartment had a place. It was part of what allowed Emily to get around with ease. Even though she had her extra senses, it took more concentration for her to get around than it would have for a sighted person, so having neat and clear floor, as well as predetermined places for her things, allowed her to get around with ease, allowed her to relax.

But the doorbell rung before Nyx could find it. Emily swore under her breath.

"Can you get that dear? I am stirring the gravy," Her Nan called out, but Emily was already on her way to the door. She flung it open, smile breaking on her face as the air of the hall billowed towards her, laced with the comforting undertones of Clark's cologne and his natural musk

"Hey, you," Emily said, shifting on her feet and hoping her skirt would fall to hide the large bruise on her shin. She winced as she put pressure on the leg, cursing her carelessness the previous night. She stepped back gingerly, so that Clark could come in. "Nanna is very excited about this," She whispered as he stepped over the threshold.
 
"Not as excited as I am" Came Clarks reply as he stepped through and pulled off his winter coat. He looked around taking in the sights and the smells before his eyes finally fell on her.

It had been a good two months

Spring was gone and winter had taken to New York city more fiercely than he had thought. Of course it was nothing like the rural area of New York and his home town. Here the city itself almost always gave off a constant source of heat. Yet winter always seemed to fight back in its own way. Clark enjoyed watching the two conflicting forces battle each other out and found it just another thing about New York City that he loved.

But she was still topping the list

Clark hung off his coat and adjusted his black tie he had worn. His mother had always ALWAYS impressed on him the importance of a good impression especially when it came to prospective girls. He had gotten his hair cut for the occasion and trimmed up the five o clock shadow he was currently sporting.

"I brought flowers for you nan" Clark said holding out the roses "And I brought you a little anniversary present"

Clark dug into his pocket pulling out the small jewelry box containing the charm necklace he had picked out for her.

"I know it might be dump I mean its only been two months but since this was a special occasion....." Clark said leaning in to snag a quick kiss "I hope you like it"
 
"Oh," Emily said, pleasantly surprised by Clark's words. She didn't know two month anniversaries were a thing. "I didn't realise," she said apologetically, taking the box. From his hand. She flipped the lid open and her fingers ran over the chain and the charm, a smile erupting on her face.

"Thank you Clark," she whispered, leaning in to kiss him. As she did one hand pressed against his chest, feeling he crinkle of a freshly ironed shirt, her finger tips brushing a tie.

"Oh, you dressed up, she's gonna love you!" Emily's hand then ran the length of Clark's arm to find the roses he had bought for her Nanna. They were soft and fresh beneath her fingers, and the smell that wafted off them was divine. "Perfect," Emily breathed, talking about mote than just the flowers.

Emily passed the jewellery box back to Clark and turned, pulling her long shoulder length black hair to the side.

"Nanna! Clark's here!" She called out. She would have taken Clark right into the kitchen, but her Nanna was a proud woman, and she wanted to give her the chance tk clean any stray cooking ingredients off her hands before she introduced her to Clark.
 
"Usually its not" Clark told her rubbing the back of his head "I just wanted to get you some thing special to cement the occasion"

He followed her in looking around eager to find out more about her and her nan. Emily was very very tight lipped about her past. So far he hadn't pried but the journalist in him was Moore than a little interested.

He waited and once her nan came in he stepped forward.

"Its a opleasure to meet you" Clark said coming out and holding out his hand "you have a lovely home" he told her politely.
 
Clark was a natural charmer. Emily's hand pressed against the lovely necklace he had gifted her as she listened to the exchange. The air in the room was filled with her Nan's excitement as she gave Clark's hand a gentle squeeze.

"Nice to finally meet you too dear, you can call me Bee if you like. Everyone except Emily does!"

If Clark looked around he would notice a very tidy home indeed. Everything except he furniture was off the floor, and even though it was small, there were clear walking paths all around. Emily walked over to him and placed a hand on his side.

"I have been telling Emily to invite you over for a month," Bee said, shaking her head sith a fond smile, "I'm only sorry she didn't do it sooner! She tells me you are a fine young man, Clark."
 
"Ah she's been very shy with sharing her personal life" Clark said smiling at her grandma. He kept her close though with his arm firmly wrapped around her.

"I was surprised when she finally popped the invitation" Clark told her walking into the dining room "but happy as clams when she does mention home you come most highly and most often"
 
"That's good to hear," Bee said, Emily could hear the smile in her voice, "But that is my Emily, you know, she will chat about anything and everything but herself if given the chance." Bee gestured for Clark to sit down. "Dinner is ready now. You have great timing, Clark." Bee said before bustling out of the room.

Emily walked over, listening to Clark's footsteps and making she slid into the chair next to him. Her Nan came out a moment later, expertly balancing three plates on her arms before setting hem down on the already set table. She took the seat to Emily's free side.

"Lamb is at your six, peas at three and potato at eleven. Gravy everywhere, just as you like it," Bee says in an unusually chirpy voice, her eyes dancing with delight as they bounced between Clark and Emily.

"Thanks Nanna," Emily said, taking a fork and turning to Clark. It was odd, this. She never wore her glasses when she was home, and she had only just realised that this would be the first time he saw her without them. Nerves flooded through her. Before the accident her eyes had been a bright, startling blue, alert and dancing with energy. She obviously hadn't seen them since, but had been told by doctors that they were clouded by a glazed white. Like a blue summer sky and summer clouds, her nan would say, though Emily was sure she was just being kind.

"Nan makes the best roast lamb you've ever tasted," Emily assures him with a smile.
 
Last edited:
Clark took careful note of how Nan or "Bee" as he had been told to call her took care of Emily. While he was not sure what future they had even if their was a hint of the other he would need to know....

He shook his head blushing his heart racing at his thoughts. He liked this girl! He did and he was starting to see a future with her more and more......

"I am prepared to be wowed then" Clark said hearing her words about her Nans roast and smiling at the older woman.

"I havent had good home cooking in a while" Clark said nodding his head in appreciation "I mean Emily taken me to some nice restaurants but it doesn't beat back home yet"

He took his plate and turned to her "I am sure you dont need it but I can help if you would like?" He asked care evident in his voice for her.
 
Emily blushed at Clark's words, knowing that this was the first time that he had spent with her and someone who was used to her being blind. When she'd gone out to dinner with him she had been happy to guess at what she was pushing about with her fork. Even though it meant each mouthful was a bit of a surprise it made her feel normal in a way she hadn't in years. Her strange senses allowed her many things, and she as usually able to make out the topography of her plate, but the textures were a harder thing to decipher; she had spent more time memorising the reflected densities of the world around her rather than her food.

"No, no, I'm fine," she assured him gently, knowing that he was being kind and not patronising. The fingers of her left hand settled on her plate while she ate with her right, cutting into the lamb with the side of her fork and finding it fell apart easily. Good old Nan and her cooking, she thought.

"So Clark, Emily tells me you're a student too. What are you studying?" Bee asked, waiting for Clark to start eating before she touched her food.
 
"Journalism ma'am I uh mean Bean" Clark said hitting into his food and grinning

"I see Emily didn't make false boasts!" Clark told her grinning "this really is amazing!" He dug in doing his best to be polite as the temptation to shovle in the food threatened to over take him.

"I'm also going for creative writing but most of my interest is in journalism" Clark told her as he ate "I hope to work for the times one day"
 
"A journalist, hey?" Bee says with a hum of approval, "We need some good ones around here. Though Emily has a love hate relationship with the Times, she curses it almost as much as she praises it! Luckily she gets it on her computer, or we would have papers flying out of our window every other day."

"Nanna!" Emily said, aghast, between mouthfuls.

"No harm in it dear," Bee says dismissively. "And how are you finding New York? A bit of a change from your home I suppose?" Bee continues on, ignoring the way Emily shook her head in exasperation at her earlier comment.
 
That's right bee" Clark said nodding at her word and deciding to spare Emily the embaressmentr "and I have every intention of being a good one. The times and I might have a different view on some matters but it's a good news paper and one I can't wait to work for"

Clark turned to Emily kissing her cheek as bee continued speaking.

"Besides from the wonderful company I get from Emily?" Clark asked raising an eyebrow "I love the city its very different from my home town but to me its like a breath of fresh air I lobve my home.... But its nice for a change if that makes sense"
 
"Well, Emily does know the city very well," Bee agreed, "You do need to be careful though. Some parts aren't too safe, even for a hale young lad like yourself."

There was silence for a few minutes as they ate, but Bee renewed the conversation when she had her last mouthful.

"So do you have any brothers and sisters, Clark? Tell me about your family."
 
"I do Bee" Clark said nodding at her as he finished his plate and neatly set his fork and knife down
"Two brothers Two Sisters im the oldest though there back on the farm, my dads grooming my oldest brother to take over the farm"

He reached over picking up his water and taking a long sip "Luckily the farm offers plenty of space for the family so we never stepped on each others toes to bad My youngest sister wants to follow in my foot steps but we shall see"

Clark reached down taking Emilys hand now that he had finished eating. He gave it a squeeze stroking her knuckles as they chatted.
 
Back
Top