Falling Off The Main Page

Bebop3

Really Experienced
Hi,

To be honest, I have no idea what subforum this post belongs in. Hopefully here, but maybe tech support?

Anyway, how does your story never appearing on the front page of it's category impact readership? I'm assuming pretty seriously.

I've never seen this before, but last night there were so many new stories in the Taboo category that all 24 slots in the New Incest Stories section were taken. There might have been 25, 30 or more new stories, but it seemed that there wasn't space for them all.

It also pushed all stories from yesterday off the front page.

I've never seen that happen before.

That seems like it would cripple the amount of readers and subsequently the amount of comments your story would receive. Has anyone had to deal with this in the past?

Is there a way to scan stories by category then publishing date?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the owners of LitE don't provide us with any clues as to how much are used the different ways of accessing a story. The "Recently Popular" box provides a way for readers to find popular recently-published stories that have fallen on the front page. There are other Top lists on the site. I don't know how much any of them are used.

For my story My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date, let's say that it got X views, Y comments and Z favorites on the first day. Here's what its views, comments and favorites were like after that:
Day 1 - X / Y / Z
Day 2 - 1.34X / 1.35Y / 1.59Z
Day 3 - 1.57X / 1.57Y / 1.88Z
Day 4 - 1.65X / 1.65Y / 2.09Z
Day 5 - 1.72X / 1.70Y / 2.21Z
Day 12 - 2.04X / 1.89Y / 2.52Z
Day 19 - 2.23X / 2.03Y / 2.68Z
Day 26 - 2.39X / 2.08Y / 2.84Z
Day 33 - 2.51X / 2.11Y / 3.03Z

The biggest day by far for the story was the first day, but it kept getting views, comments and favorites after that. I'm not sure what day it fell off the front page. It's rating was high enough that it would have been in the "Recently Popular" box for at least 30 days.

Hi,

To be honest, I have no idea what subforum this post belongs in. Hopefully here, but maybe tech support?

Anyway, how does your story never appearing on the front page of it's category impact readership? I'm assuming pretty seriously.

I've never seen this before, but last night there were so many new stories in the Taboo category that all 24 slots in the New Incest Stories section were taken. There might have been 25, 30 or more new stories, but it seemed that there wasn't space for them all.

It also pushed all stories from yesterday off the front page.

I've never seen that happen before.

That seems like it would cripple the amount of readers and subsequently the amount of comments your story would receive. Has anyone had to deal with this in the past?

Is there a way to scan stories by category then publishing date?

Thanks!

I have never seen this happen before, and, yes, I would think it would significantly affect readership. I published a story in that category today and I noticed that the new story page was filled to the brim with today's stories. I wonder if Admin had a backlog of stories and released them all in a bunch.

If you want to create a list of stories in the category by date, go to the search stories function, click on advanced search, and do a search for stories within the last [whatever] period in the I/T category and specify you want them arranged by date.

I noticed that my view count is way down for this chapter from previous chapters, and one of the reasons is probably the number of stories in competition with it.

I have never seen this happen before, and, yes, I would think it would significantly affect readership. I published a story in that category today and I noticed that the new story page was filled to the brim with today's stories. I wonder if Admin had a backlog of stories and released them all in a bunch.

If you want to create a list of stories in the category by date, go to the search stories function, click on advanced search, and do a search for stories within the last [whatever] period in the I/T category and specify you want them arranged by date.

I noticed that my view count is way down for this chapter from previous chapters, and one of the reasons is probably the number of stories in competition with it.

New story traffic has been high lately. Laurel published more than 150 stories this morning. As near as I can tell from counting I/T stories on the New list all of the new stories appeared on the I/T category hub, but many will be gone tomorrow.

I've seen it before, and it is terrible for your views.

New story traffic has been high lately. Laurel published more than 150 stories this morning. As near as I can tell from counting I/T stories on the New list all of the new stories appeared on the I/T category hub, but many will be gone tomorrow.

I've seen it before, and it is terrible for your views.

Now that I think about, the post-to-publish turnaround time for my story was only about 48 hours, the shortest for any of my submissions to date, so it's unlikely there's a backlog. People must be submitting a lot of stories right now.

Now that I think about, the post-to-publish turnaround time for my story was only about 48 hours, the shortest for any of my submissions to date, so it's unlikely there's a backlog. People must be submitting a lot of stories right now.

Perhaps they have edited their NaNoWriMo pile?

Perhaps they have edited their NaNoWriMo pile?

Maybe. I can't tell from looking at the list of new I/T stories. It seems like the usual assortment of standalone stories and chapters from longer series. I think the norm is about 8 new stories or so a day in this category and today it's at least 25.

150 stories in one morning. And my new story avatar still hasn't been approved. This must be a mistake.

I have seen this a lot over the years, in fact every day that stories are published, the previous days stories are bumped off the first page. With over a 100 stories a day being published how could they not do this?

New stories usually take up the first 2 sometimes 3 pages.

150 stories in one morning. And my new story avatar still hasn't been approved. This must be a mistake.

That's because you don't have over 100 posts and I think that Laurel is so busy that she hasn't approved a new avatar on the story side for...years. So don't get your hopes up. And it could be that part of the system is broke and will never be repaired.

That's because you don't have over 100 posts and I think that Laurel is so busy that she hasn't approved a new avatar on the story side for...years. So don't get your hopes up. And it could be that part of the system is broke and will never be repaired.

I was talking about the story side. All is good now.

There are 12 new stories on the I/T page today, half as many as yesterday, which means that some, but not all, of yesterday's stories got bumped off. That sucks for the half of stories that got knocked off. My story is still hanging on at the bottom of the page but will be bumped off tomorrow.

There are 12 new stories on the I/T page today, half as many as yesterday, which means that some, but not all, of yesterday's stories got bumped off. That sucks for the half of stories that got knocked off. My story is still hanging on at the bottom of the page but will be bumped off tomorrow.

I take it to mean that Laurel was taking some time away for Christmas and pushed out stories up front rather than making them wait until after Christmas--and is on slowdown for a couple of days. If so, I think it's fine that she has a Christmas.

Edit: Sr71plt's post, maybe a big Holiday week is not the time to submit stories.

I think that might be right. I timed my submissions so that there shouldn't be anything of mine in the queue Christmas and Christmas Eve--to give them a little break from me, at least.

When you post to a category as popular as incest, that's something you're just going to have to expect. If the list of new stories on the Hub was any longer, you'd just get lost in the wall-o-text and not really gain any benefit from it.

If the story load continues to be as heavy as it has recently on a regular basis, readers will adapt. When they see that the hub list is completely filled with stories posted that day, they'll shift to the main page new story list to see if there's anything new that fell off the page once they've exhausted everything interesting on the hub. That goes back 7 days no matter how many stories are published.

I don't think that will happen, though. It always ebbs and flows.

The lion's share of your reads are on day 1 even if it remains on the hub for multiple days. Yes, you lose some when you fall off, but it's not as if you're losing a significant percentage of potential reads.

Once the new story pages go live, implementing the ability to add stories to reading lists, that will alleviate some of the fall-off. People use the favorites list for that purpose now, but more will use it when there's a clearly defined "read later" button. Especially if they have the foresight to include such a button on the hubs, and at the top of the stories, rather than at the end, where the favorites button is.

It got 2,994 views first day, 346 views the next. I'm used to expecting three or at least hoping for 3 days on the Category Hub page. I've gotten as little as 2 and now with only getting 1 day, it doesn't do much for motivation to throw up another anytime soon. I know that sounds like 'Oh, poor me,' but one day sucks. I almost want to take it down and put it up again, but this last story might not be the one to do it with.

It looks like another 81 new stories today, which means that six new stories never appeared on the front page of the New list.

My most recent story went up yesterday, and didn't do as well as yours. EC has a sort of disengaged crowd. The story still doesn't have even 2300 views. It had more favorites than votes through most of yesterday. Overnight it got up to nine (count them! nine!) votes.

EC has its problems, but I think the large number of new stories coming in makes it worse. The site doesn't serve writers very well when the traffic is high. The design has limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking about the Hub Page. When you click on the category and you get new stories, Hall of Fame, Random List, the side stories with most popular for 1 day, 7 days, 30 days.

I was aware of that.

I tracked the number of posts in every category for several months. Over that period I/T received more than 25 posts in a day on several occasions, which means that some stories never appear in the hub. Like RR said, that's a risk you take when you post to a big category.

I think I/T and EC may be the only hubs big enough to have that problem. There are other categories where your story may be visible in the hub for only one or two days.

Just post a story in erotic horror. Front page still has some stories posted from a month ago, though it isn't a heavily read category and isn't most writers idea of fun, sexy stories.

When you post to a category as popular as incest, that's something you're just going to have to expect. If the list of new stories on the Hub was any longer, you'd just get lost in the wall-o-text and not really gain any benefit from it.

If the story load continues to be as heavy as it has recently on a regular basis, readers will adapt.

I wonder if writers will.

If a story disappears into the endless pit and the audience response gets diluted over so many stories, will writers slowly shift away from feeding the ravenous beast?

How cyclic is this, does anybody know? Is this trending higher volume, or just higher seasonal traffic?

Also, with this kind of churn, how does anyone figure out what is "good" if the usual indicators don't get time to kick in?

Even a poorly performing story in Incest will generate more reads, votes, comments, and favorites than a story that does gangbusters in many categories.

I don't see people hungry for that attention decreasing any time soon, no matter how much of a dice roll it is to post a story there and have it seen by the majority of the readership.

Even a poorly performing story in Incest will generate more reads, votes, comments, and favorites than a story that does gangbusters in many categories.

There's a caveat on that. It may not apply to chapters. The lowest views I have on any story is a chapter in I/T with 2143 views since the beginning of October. My mostly ignored EC post that went up yesterday with 150 other stories on the same day already exceeds that total.

I'm writing a standalone story for I/T, after posting parts and chapters for a couple years. It'll be interesting to see how it's received.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see what would happen if Incest were split up into sections between brother/sister and parent/child, though. It's not feasible, I know, considering that it's not uncommon to see a whole group thing happening with the whole family.

I wonder if writers will.

If a story disappears into the endless pit and the audience response gets diluted over so many stories, will writers slowly shift away from feeding the ravenous beast?

How cyclic is this, does anybody know? Is this trending higher volume, or just higher seasonal traffic?

Also, with this kind of churn, how does anyone figure out what is "good" if the usual indicators don't get time to kick in?

One of my reasons for writing for the themed contests, and starting the support threads for each of them, is that contest entries are linked from the front page of Literotica for nearly a month. A contest entry will get far more attention for longer than a story posted normally.

When I write non-contest stories in less popular categories they can fail to get the minimum ten votes. They rarely get comments. They are posted, are on the overall new list front page for a few hours, and are then effectively invisible.

But a contest entry, even a crap story, might get more votes in a day than five of my non contest stories in a month.

Back