Old 05-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
dzchoquet
Virgin

No comments

I'm brand new here and have posted my first story. I was hoping to get some useful feedback, but so far, 68k views and 9 "favorites" but not a single comment (except for an immediate spam comment which is gone now).
So, what's the trick to getting people to comment?
Thanks.
-- Daniel (pen-name)

Old 05-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzchoquet View Post
I'm brand new here and have posted my first story. I was hoping to get some useful feedback, but so far, 68k views and 9 "favorites" but not a single comment (except for an immediate spam comment which is gone now).
Thanks.
-- Daniel (pen-name)
There's not a lot you can do. Many people complain about not getting comments, so you are not alone. Still,a story that gets 68K views usually has at least a few. You can add a line at the top and bottom of your story urging readers to vote on the story and provide feedback.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Apisto42
Literotica Guru

Post a story in Loving Wives. Almost guaranteed to get a comment. Most likely will not be useful, constructive or even sane.

Seriously, most readers do not comment. It doesnít really have anything to do with your story.

Just to be clear, Iím a dude. None of my stories are real life so the point of view might be confusing. .

Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
dzchoquet
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDoom View Post
...a story that gets 68K views usually has at least a few...
Oops! Sorry. Off by an order of magnitude. It has seen 6.8k, i.e., 6800 views!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
FaeLissa
Really Experienced

3 most recent stories (together) has got over 10K views. 3 comments. about 125 votes.
Being noticed at all is a good thing

Old 05-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Oops! Sorry. Off by an order of magnitude. It has seen 6.8k, i.e., 6800 views!
When I last calculated, I was getting about 1 comment for every 4200 views, so your experience is not that unusual.

According to some who've been around awhile -- longer than I have -- the favorites feature has disincentivized the making of comments, so there are fewer of them.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Kantarii
I'm Not A Bitch!

Every story Iíve written that has ended with a cliffhanger setting up the next chapter has yielded a higher percentage of comments for me than those that donít. Itís not a guarantee, but there is a tendency.

I will also say this - as a writer, if you cannot move the emotions of the reader in someway or get them to relate to the characters you have created, then comments will forever elude you. I doubt there are many people here that qualify as professional writers, but a well written, thought provoking story that moves the reader, engages them in some way has a greater chance to get comments.
🌹Kant👠👠👠
I am your dreams made reality ... And, the lust in your eyes...
♫♪ But, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game! ♪♫
Do T-girls & Transvestites Interest You? Checkout my Stories.

My Newest Storyline 🌹ĒBest Friends ForeverĒ 🌹A story from my personal diary where friendship turns sexual.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions My Story Submissions

Old 05-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Really Really Experienced

You might try posting a link to your story in the Story Feedback forum and ask for feedback as a first-time writer. There are a lot of folks over there who will give good, constructive feedback - not always positive, but at least thoughtful and constructive.
Proudly part of the 2018 Geek Pride Day Anthology

The rest of my prosaic little stroke stories

Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantarii View Post
Every story Iíve written that has ended with a cliffhanger setting up the next chapter has yielded a higher percentage of comments for me than those that donít. Itís not a guarantee, but there is a tendency.

I will also say this - as a writer, if you cannot move the emotions of the reader in someway or get them to relate to the characters you have created, then comments will forever elude you. I doubt there are many people here that qualify as professional writers, but a well written, thought provoking story that moves the reader, engages them in some way has a greater chance to get comments.
🌹Kant👠👠👠
THIS ^

It may seem odd, but erotica can have a purpose...an intention that the author has set out to achieve. Many of the more well received stories have that plus well executed technical craft.

Here's an example of a comment posted on a recent story. The reason I use this one is because this comment showed me that I had achieved precisely what I had hoped to achieve in the initial planning before ever typing a word.....Truth....
by Anonymous user on 03/17/2018
As a trans woman, this story completely captured my experiences and feelings. If I recall correctly, the author is cis-male: you, sir, did a fine job of creating a truthful portrait of transgender women. Too often we become sexual objects or two-dimensional caricatures. You crafted a beautiful story that has aroused every nerve (spiritual, emotional, personal, and especially sexual) within me. I'd go higher than five stars but the site won't allow it. I've never read a more accurate, human, or beautiful portrayal of a trans character. My hat's off to you

Of course, it depends on one's own personal goals, but just wanted to share a thought on that one aspect of having a theme or goal or message as one ingredient in getting the comments you hope for. And for what it's worth, the story this comment is from had a total of 5 comments in 7790 views...so comments are a rare thing. But my initial goal was to touch at least one person with my effort, so I am satisfied! Don't get discouraged ~

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old 05-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #10
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Thanks.
-- Daniel (pen-name)
Write exceptionally well or spectacularly badly, and you'll get feedback. If your writing is on the "middle of the bell curve", don't expect much comment reaction.

I've got 55 pieces up across several categories - my rule of thumb from all of that is one vote per hundred views, one comment per thousand. For my body of work, those are almost universal constants.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 05-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #11
Jada59
Literotica Guru

I don't get a lot of comments. Some of the comments I do get are via PM.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #12
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonnights View Post
It may seem odd, but erotica can have a purpose...an intention that the author has set out to achieve. Many of the more well received stories have that plus well executed technical craft.
Absolutely.

My equivalent comment to the one you quoted is this:
Quote:
Gorgeous
by Anonymous user on 03/11/2016
I am a wheelchair user. You have a great sense of what it means. She is beautifully seen, strong and vulnerable. I have never thought to include my disability in my writing, but you inspire me to. I will write and post. Thank you.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 05-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #13
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
Absolutely.

My equivalent comment to the one you quoted is this:
Quote:
Gorgeous
by Anonymous user on 03/11/2016
I am a wheelchair user. You have a great sense of what it means. She is beautifully seen, strong and vulnerable. I have never thought to include my disability in my writing, but you inspire me to. I will write and post. Thank you.
Lovely ~ I think every person should have a Lit story that touches them...everyone needs love (or sex...probably both!)

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM   #14
ThatsTheGuy
Literotica Guru

No comment.

Sometimes good men wear masks. Never take off mask.

On the night of Nov 2nd, 2017 my last clear memory was calling in sick as I thought I had a new flu virus. I awoke from coma a few days later being told who I was in that life. I won my last wheel chair race on Nov 24th, 2017. I then learned to walk again. Somewhere along the way I became what you see now as the new normal.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #15
dzchoquet
Virgin

Thanks for all the responses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoquiSordidaAdMe View Post
You might try posting a link to your story in the Story Feedback forum and ask for feedback as a first-time writer. There are a lot of folks over there who will give good, constructive feedback - not always positive, but at least thoughtful and constructive.
I will try this. Thank you.

Old Today, 03:08 PM   #16
Zodia195
Really Experienced

One thing I started doing to encourage feedback is that I actually take the time to thank individual readers in my Author notes at the beginning of my stories, whether they be anon or not. So I always let my readers know that. It doesn't always work but I know it makes me feel great as a ready when the author replies to my feedback. I am actually the type who'd rather add feedback then put something in my favs or vote for it.

Also, here are the current stories I am uploading.

Dragons of Fraidel- A fantasy romance about a man and women who find each other through dreams and the woman travels to his world and finds adventure there.

Stones of Incienda- Fantasy Romance- 7 young woman from around the world of Incienda must fulfill a prophecy to save their planet from destruction.