The Makeup Fairy Returns!

Dear Makeup Fairy:

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced smoothing shampoo and conditioner?

I recently took my daughter to have her hair cut, and due to the thick, wavy nature of her hair, it was recommended that we upgrade her hair care products (we've used Suave for Kids since she was about 4).

While I'm open to an upgrade, I'm also not buying Biolage for an 8 year old. We still have to have regular talks on what's considered a reasonable pour for shampoo and conditioner! :rolleyes:

So, any tips for decent products that'll do the job, but that won't break the bank?

Is your daughter open to experimenting with her hair-washing technique?

Even something small like not piling up the hair on top of the head and shampooing the lot every time can be helpful. (Just shampoo the scalp - rinsing the suds through the rest of the hair will get it clean enough.)

Something else that's helpful is leaving the conditioner on for a longer period of time - even just clipping up the conditioner-coated hair with a butterfly clip, doing other showerly things, then rinsing it out might be helpful. (If she decides that she prefers to put conditioner in her hair while watching TV or something, my understanding is that doing that beyond half an hour isn't effective). You can also 'amp up' regular conditioners by adding extra ingredients - but it could disturb the preservatives if you just add them to the bottle, so it's best to do that just before hopping into the shower.

A product you might like to get for her to improve the ease of combing/brushing might be a satiny pillowslip to reduce overnight tangles. The reasoning behind it is that if the hair is less damaged, then the conditioner doesn't need to be as fabulous(ly expensive).
 
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll check out both product lines and see what works. They both look to be reasonably priced. And Iris - the pump dispenser is a great idea!

GirlFriday - thanks for the pillowcase suggestion. I have several remnants that were given to me, that weren't enough yardage for much. But - they are enough for a pillow case. Also, thanks for the link - it was very informative. I happen to have coconut oil in my pantry, so I think we'll give that a go first.

On similar note: Satin - what do you know about the Chi Infra line? My local Target started carrying this recently, and I'm contemplating switching to this when my current product runs out. I don't use heat on my hair, except for very rare occasions, so I'm mainly interested in it for the strength and elasticity aspects. Despite being uber careful, my hair tends to split at the ends. While I do get regular trims, I'd also like to see what else can be done to address this problem.
 
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll check out both product lines and see what works. They both look to be reasonably priced. And Iris - the pump dispenser is a great idea!

GirlFriday - thanks for the pillowcase suggestion. I have several remnants that were given to me, that weren't enough yardage for much. But - they are enough for a pillow case. Also, thanks for the link - it was very informative. I happen to have coconut oil in my pantry, so I think we'll give that a go first.

On similar note: Satin - what do you know about the Chi Infra line? My local Target started carrying this recently, and I'm contemplating switching to this when my current product runs out. I don't use heat on my hair, except for very rare occasions, so I'm mainly interested in it for the strength and elasticity aspects. Despite being uber careful, my hair tends to split at the ends. While I do get regular trims, I'd also like to see what else can be done to address this problem.

If you're looking for a Chi product that'll minimize split ends, you might want to try Chi Keratin Silk Infusion. Chi infra is specifically targeted as a heat protectant and frizz-reducer and is a good prooduct, but the keratin in the Keratin line will bind to your hair and strengthen it temporarily between washes, preventing splits and breaks, and is great for curly, frizzy, or damaged hair that needs extra strength near the ends.

Use it on damp, towel-dried hair and comb through gently to distribute evenly, reapply sparingly on ends on dried hair as often as necessary.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod5180369
 
This question was listed on my older thread, so I reposted that here

Do you have any experience with costume makeup? My idea is basically eye makeup extended out to create a masquerade mask? What I am wondering with this concept is what type of makeup to use. When do you stop using the eye-shadows and start using face paints? Or do you just use eye-shadow for all? I also would like to know the best brands to get for high quality colors. Thanks!

I do actually have some experience with costume/theater makeup brands, but if you're not actually on stage with this look and you won't be using this look really frequently, say for nightly shows, this type of makeup might be too heavy on your skin. Krylon makes fantastic theater makeup, people with highly troubled skin and drag queens looking to cover the shadow of a beard really like their foundations and concealers. I don't have much experience with their lip-and-eye colors because us theater kids just used standard department-store makeup for those jobs, but if you're looking for stage-ready makeup, it can't hurt to try!

https://us.kryolan.com/products

If you're not actually using this look on-stage, there are a few department store brands you should look into for long-lasting eye colors.

Urban Decay's "Naked" and "Naked 2" palettes should be exactly the price and payoff you're looking for, links below:

http://www.sephora.com/naked-palette-P267200?skuId=1324532
http://www.sephora.com/naked2-P302916?skuId=1393636

For high impact colors and lasting cosmetic integrity, make sure you're using a eyeshadow primer under your pigments!

The idea of using eye makeup to create a painted-on mask really intrigued me, and during my searching I found a slightly related makeup tutorial for a "black lace" effect using an eyeliner pen. I thought this might spark some inspiration for you!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bCSkXXkCbQ
 
Do you have any experience with costume makeup? My idea is basically eye makeup extended out to create a masquerade mask? What I am wondering with this concept is what type of makeup to use. When do you stop using the eye-shadows and start using face paints? Or do you just use eye-shadow for all? I also would like to know the best brands to get for high quality colors. Thanks!
 
Oh! Sorry, I thought you must work in the beauty industry? You don't? (I have not read this thread from the start, excuse my ignorance.)

Do I get paid presently for modeling or acting? No. Did I work in the beauty industry? Yes, for many years. I left for several reasons, my father's health failed and I left California in order to care for him full time, and I also struggled with my agent's unrealistic expectations of my weight. At 5'9 and 120 pounds at the time, I was told to lose 10 pounds, but I was already on an extremely strict no sugar, no carb, no fat diet and working out with a personal trainer 5 days a week. There was no way I could push myself any harder to lose weight unless I resorted to unhealthy means, so I couldn't do it anymore. I wanted to do something for myself that I could depend on for the rest of my life, and most models have an expiration date, so I went to college and moved back to Oklahoma to take care of my family.

I cannot call myself an "expert" right now because I'm not a professional makeup artist. I am an enthusiastic guide with a lot of past experience and an eye for color.

Your ignorance is excused. :D
 
Last edited:
Oh, no, hahaha that's too funny. I didn't think you were a model, not at all. I was referring to a professional make-up/hair artist.

Do you youtube a lot of stuff? There are so many great How To's channels on youtube, do you have one?

Yep. I started when I was 12, and worked until I was 21.

Honestly, I really want to break into youtube. It's been a dream of mine for a long time to have the 'Ask the Fairy' segment be in video form. There are so many things that are much more easily explained with a video visual rather than having to clearly have an idea expressed in text.

Unfortunately, there are so many amazing beauty gurus on youtube already that it's pretty intimidating to break into.

I'm sure once we've moved and don't have to save every last dime so I can actually get a good camera, I will. I'm a big fan of Kandee Johnson, Wayne Goss, Lisa Eldridge, Beauty Broadcast, The Makeup Geek, Jung Saem Mool, Batalash, Pixiewoo, Thyme The Infamous, Crisspy, Heidi Cupcake...I mean, I could go on. I have about 35ish gurus right now that I'm subbed to, and that doesn't even count the nail art gurus that I'm subbed to, of which I have about 25 on my list.

That sparks an idea, though, so thank you for asking. I should probably get together a list of links for my favorite makeup artists and gurus on youtube! That'd be a good article on here.
 
Awesome idea!

How do you find time for such a big passion? Do you have children? Work? This is starting to sound like an interview. :D Maybe we should put you under the Spotlight in a silverwhisper style "spotlight on..." thread.

I spend probably about 10-20 hours a week reading and researching everything from new makeup brands, the history of makeup and what it was like as time passed, to trends in fashion and beauty, to what certain ingredients to look for (and which ones to avoid). I try and keep up with what designers are doing on the runway to clock trends for street fashion as well as what colors are hot for each season, as well. I subscribe to several fashion mags including my favorite, Vogue, and I also follow some beauty blogs (and of course my youtube gurus). Other than gaming, I would say that beauty, specifically cosmetics, is my biggest hobby and passion.

Like I've said before in this thread, women aren't BORN knowing how to do this stuff. Someone has to -TEACH- us...and who if not me? I love doing it...to me, this isn't "work", this is my joy. I want to help people, give them the tools to help themselves look and feel better, to be healthier, to feel satisfied and content with their appearance. Today, that's hard to find, it's hard to achieve with so much of the media geared towards telling us that we're not quite good enough. The eternal search for perfection can be really stressful, so I take this seriously. I want to make sure that the folks here on Lit can come to a safe place and get any information they need.

I do have children! I have 2 girls, 3 and 4 years old. I'm a Nanny, so I work at home, which gives me greater freedom to use the internet as I please without worrying about a boss getting mad because I'm looking at Sephora's website on-hours. ;)

I've been on spotlight threads before! They're fantastic. :)
 
Last edited:
Dear Makeup Fairy,

These days it seems like there's an 'advanced new formula' for everything under the sun, and looking at the adverts, I feel like I'm being blinded by (pseudo?)science... On the other hand, there's the 'chemical-free' movement. Where do you go for the real deal on the ingredients used in cosmetics? How are cosmetics assessed for their safety and regulated?
 
Well, would you like to bet the subject of one?! :D

Sure, make sure everyone else who asks gets to go before me, though, I'm still new at them! :)

Dear Makeup Fairy,

These days it seems like there's an 'advanced new formula' for everything under the sun, and looking at the adverts, I feel like I'm being blinded by (pseudo?)science... On the other hand, there's the 'chemical-free' movement. Where do you go for the real deal on the ingredients used in cosmetics? How are cosmetics assessed for their safety and regulated?

Well, a lot of people are led to believe that the FDA personally oversees the regulation and safety testing for all cosmetics sold in the US and that's actually not true. Each company has it's own independent testing laboratory to handle the testing, manufacturing and quality-control standards of each brand. The FDA almost -never- gets involved in the safety testing or recall of any products found to be harmful, and courts have judged that each individual company is responsible for their own testing, recalls and etc.

Because of this, of course, that means that each company can basically tell you nearly anything legally that it wants to, regardless of whether or not that's true for most people. That also means that labels like "natural", "organic" or, "chemical free" might not necessarily be true.

Which is why it's very important for people (who are chemically sensitive, looking for organic or beneficial ingredients or just curious to see if the product is telling the truth or not in it's claims) to do their own independent research and -READ THE INGREDIENTS LIST-! I literally cannot stress this enough, learning what ingredients do what you're looking for is the -best- way to make sure you're not wasting your money on a product that can't back up it's claims!

Here's a few good websites to use to look up ingredients in products you already use:

http://www.cir-safety.org/ingredients

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmetic_Ingredient_Review

"In 2002, the CIR decided that it was safe for the industry to continue adding possible endocrine and reproductive disruptors known as phthalates to cosmetics marketed to women of childbearing age.[1] In August 2008, Section 108 of the federal Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), public law 110-314,[3] banned the use of three phthalates, DEHP, DBP, and BBP, in children's toy and child care articles. In 2009, some phthalates were restricted in children's toys sold in California starting in 2009"

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

"EWG's Skin Deep is an online safety guide for cosmetics and personal care products, launched in 2004 to help people find safer products, with fewer ingredients that are hazardous or that haven't been thoroughly tested. Skin Deep combines product ingredient lists with information in more than 50 standard toxicity and regulatory databases. The database provides easy-to-navigate safety ratings for tens of thousands of personal care products."


It's vital for people to stay informed of the things they are putting onto and into their bodies, and these are some resources that will allow you to!

****************************

This question comes to us anonymous via PM:

ShyGuy said:
I'm a follower of Lit and have been for a while. I'm really shy and I have trouble with self confidence. :(

I don't know if this is even the kind of thing that you know about, but I'm asking because I don't know where else to go. Feel free to post this, but please keep my name secret. Not that it matters, as I'm not active. But one day I'm going to get the guts to jump in. :eek:

Okay:

I'm in my 30s and I lack confidence. I feel like I don't know what to do with myself. I'm not bad looking, but I can't figure out how to make myself look more... Presentable. :(

Any ideas for a shy guy?

This is a great question, I'm glad you're here!

There are a few things everyone can do regardless of their gender in order to help themselves look and feel their best.

Taking a multivitamin may seem like a silly idea if you're an adult, but it's actually critical for maximizing our health and beauty. Cells need nutrients to be at their best, and having all the vitamins and minerals the body needs can brighten your eyes, make your complexion glow, and keep your bones and muscles strong and healthy.

This multivitamin was ranked the "Best Overall" out of 75 different brands it tested! https://labdoor.com/review/carlson-labs-super-2-daily

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tiveASIN=B001LF39QU&linkCode=as2&tag=lab02-20

Making sure you get plenty of sleep and practice good "sleep hygiene" is key to keep your mind alert and focused, and keep your immune system strong and your weight at a healthy level. The body repairs itself the most during sleep, and not getting enough can lead to memory loss, impaired judgement, weight fluctuations and even heart disease!

http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/getting/overcoming/tips

Make sure that if you have problem skin, either dryness, oiliness or acne, you're using a cleanser and a moisturizer that targets those problems! Yes, even men should use moisturizer! Acne can be treated gently with products that contain Salicylic Acid, which aids in rapid skin-cell turnover and prevents acne proactively. And never go to bed without washing your face!!

Teeth whitening strips or trays can give you a boost in your looks and help you get a great Hollywood-White smile! The bonus is that white teeth also help us look younger! Amazon is practically giving away Crest Whitestripes (My favorite way to whiten teeth!) for cheap!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0045XE3AG/ref=nosim/Pg-crestwhitestrips-20?s=merchant

Lastly, getting plenty of hydration and exercise is vital for life longevity, healthy skin, hair and nails, and strong bones, muscles and immune system. Drink lots of water, avoid sugary beverages like soda and make sure you're getting at least 10 minutes of cardio a day.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20057916
 
Last edited:
I have a question, but first thanks are due.

Makeup Fairy, you are 2 for 2 with me. You found me the big fluffy powder puffs I like, which I had been looking for for months! And you suggested Lip Tar as blowjob-proof lipstick, which worked great! It made it all the way through dinner and a very meaty "dessert."

For anyone that might be interested in Lip Tar, a little goes a really long way. Seems like that little tube will last forever. And I love the colors. Also, just so you know, I did use a primer. The only thing I didn't like is that it was very drying on my lips, so I don't use it except for its intended special occasions. But something for special occasions was all I was interested in anyway.

So Makeup Fairy, thank you, thank you , thank you!

Now my question.

I just got my nails filled in and the girl examined my cuticles and said, "Oh...you push back too deep. That not good."

What? I've never heard of such! Can you really push your cuticles back too far?
 
Well, a lot of people are led to believe that the FDA personally oversees the regulation and safety testing for all cosmetics sold in the US and that's actually not true. Each company has it's own independent testing laboratory to handle the testing, manufacturing and quality-control standards of each brand. The FDA almost -never- gets involved in the safety testing or recall of any products found to be harmful, and courts have judged that each individual company is responsible for their own testing, recalls and etc.

Because of this, of course, that means that each company can basically tell you nearly anything legally that it wants to, regardless of whether or not that's true for most people. That also means that labels like "natural", "organic" or, "chemical free" might not necessarily be true.

Which is why it's very important for people (who are chemically sensitive, looking for organic or beneficial ingredients or just curious to see if the product is telling the truth or not in it's claims) to do their own independent research and -READ THE INGREDIENTS LIST-! I literally cannot stress this enough, learning what ingredients do what you're looking for is the -best- way to make sure you're not wasting your money on a product that can't back up it's claims!

Here's a few good websites to use to look up ingredients in products you already use:

http://www.cir-safety.org/ingredients

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmetic_Ingredient_Review

"In 2002, the CIR decided that it was safe for the industry to continue adding possible endocrine and reproductive disruptors known as phthalates to cosmetics marketed to women of childbearing age.[1] In August 2008, Section 108 of the federal Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), public law 110-314,[3] banned the use of three phthalates, DEHP, DBP, and BBP, in children's toy and child care articles. In 2009, some phthalates were restricted in children's toys sold in California starting in 2009"

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

"EWG's Skin Deep is an online safety guide for cosmetics and personal care products, launched in 2004 to help people find safer products, with fewer ingredients that are hazardous or that haven't been thoroughly tested. Skin Deep combines product ingredient lists with information in more than 50 standard toxicity and regulatory databases. The database provides easy-to-navigate safety ratings for tens of thousands of personal care products."


It's vital for people to stay informed of the things they are putting onto and into their bodies, and these are some resources that will allow you to!

Thanks! :)
 
I have a question, but first thanks are due.

Makeup Fairy, you are 2 for 2 with me. You found me the big fluffy powder puffs I like, which I had been looking for for months! And you suggested Lip Tar as blowjob-proof lipstick, which worked great! It made it all the way through dinner and a very meaty "dessert."

For anyone that might be interested in Lip Tar, a little goes a really long way. Seems like that little tube will last forever. And I love the colors. Also, just so you know, I did use a primer. The only thing I didn't like is that it was very drying on my lips, so I don't use it except for its intended special occasions. But something for special occasions was all I was interested in anyway.

So Makeup Fairy, thank you, thank you , thank you!

Now my question.

I just got my nails filled in and the girl examined my cuticles and said, "Oh...you push back too deep. That not good."

What? I've never heard of such! Can you really push your cuticles back too far?

I'm SO GLAD to hear that my advice and links helped you! This right here is EXACTLY why I do this! It warms me down to the very cockles of my black little heart, so THANK YOU for your questions! :heart:

Now, onto your cuticle issue! Yes, you CAN push back too far!

Let's start with a lesson on nail anatomy.

The nail plate (referred commonly as just your nails), is comprised of a hard protein called KERATIN, which is why it's vital for nail health to get plenty of protein in your diet! Beneath this is the nail bed, and at the base of the nail the MATRIX, which determines the size and shape of your nails. The matrix holds the blood vessels and lymph system and nerves that provide sensation, nourishment and moisture to your nails!

As new nail cells are made, they grow forward from the base of the plate where the Matrix meets the nail bed (also called the Nail Sinus), and as they grow outward, they become hardened, compressed and translucent, which is why your nails are pinkish-to-tan colored (depending on your natural complexion color), because they show the tiny capillaries in the nail bed!

Some people also can see a tiny whitish crescent moon at the base of their nail plate, called the Lunula! In most people, it's most often visible on the thumbnail, although some people with very long nail beds might be able to see it on some or all of their nails! This is the visible part of the ROOT of your nail, which connects to the sinus beneath the cuticle! The Lunula is very delicate tissue, so much so in fact that if it's damaged, it can PERMANENTLY alter the shape and growth pattern of your nail!

So how do your cuticles play out in this anatomy lesson?

The cuticle is actually one of the Most Important Parts of your nail, because when properly maintained, it seals the base of the nail away from the rest of the outside world, keeping harmful bacteria, fungus and viruses out of the Matrix that could infect and/or permanently damage the nail!

If pushed back too far, or clipped back too far, it could actually open a gap at the base of the nail that could introduce infectious material into the Matrix. So it's vital that you only push the cuticle back far enough so that it's not overgrowing on the visible nail plate!

I hope this helps! Come see me anytime you have ANY questions! :heart:


Anytime sweetheart!!
 
Dear Makeup Fairy,

For the past few years, I've totally evaded buying concealers and foundation just because it was so difficult to find the right shade without spending so much just to test it out. I know some stores will let you test their product and perhaps even show you how to put it on like Sephora, Nordstorm, Macy's and etc.

What's your recommendation on what a girl should purchase chronologically for a flawless finish for the face?
 
I did not see this or I would have chimed in. You are describing my hair (and my daughters'). We've tried many brands, some quite expensive but we finally settled on Organix (attaching a pic) which we buy at Kroger for $6.99 each regular priced. They go on sale for 2/$10 fairly regularly. Also, I would highly suggest not shampooing her hair daily. I wash my hair about every three days (more frequently if I get super sweaty or if I swim in chlorine). On non-wash days, I still shower and I almost always get my hair wet and use conditioner. Curly/wavy hair is much less frizzy and stuff when it's washed less frequently.

For an even lower price point, Aussie's Three Minute Miracle is great, too.

I use Organix Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner for mine and my daughters' hair, and it's AMAZING.

This recommendation is fantastic. I LOVE Organix line!

Dear Makeup Fairy,

For the past few years, I've totally evaded buying concealers and foundation just because it was so difficult to find the right shade without spending so much just to test it out. I know some stores will let you test their product and perhaps even show you how to put it on like Sephora, Nordstorm, Macy's and etc.

What's your recommendation on what a girl should purchase chronologically for a flawless finish for the face?

This is a great question!

If you have a difficult-to-match skin tone such as extremely dark, extremely pale or cool-olive toned skin, it can be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find pigments that match your complexion right off the shelf. I highly recommend professional help from a Mac/Ulta/Sephora/Clinique counter in your local department store(s). Often they will have skin-matching computers there that can find and custom blend your perfect colors and will even let you take samples home to try in natural light!
 
Last edited:
Hello Satindesire.

My eleven year old has started getting tiny bumps on her cheek, sometimes a little red. I allowed her to use my gentle cleanser to wash her face tonight but what would be a good long term solution for her? Skin problems do not run in our family.

Is there a skincare regime for someone so young? I have her drink water, eat healthy (she is great about eating veggies and fruits, loves fish) and get good sleep. I make sure she wears sunscreen too.

Thank you for your help!
 
Makeup and hair...swoon...

Some of my favorite things to talk about. I am already loving this thread. I'm big on skincare. You need a lovely canvas to make your "art" pop!
 
I use Organix Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner for mine and my daughters' hair, and it's AMAZING.

This recommendation is fantastic. I LOVE Organix line!



This is a great question!

If you have a difficult-to-match skin tone such as extremely dark, extremely pale or cool-olive toned skin, it can be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find pigments that match your complexion right off the shelf. I highly recommend professional help from a Mac/Ulta/Sephora/Clinique counter in your local department store(s). Often they will have skin-matching computers there that can find and custom blend your perfect colors and will even let you take samples home to try in natural light!

I couldn't agree more! The light in Sephora is horrendous. Mac is the same, but a bit better. Nordstrom is even worse for cosmetics. They all have incredible return policies and will give you sample product to try. I normally get a sample and apply in natural light (just as the makeup fairy recommends). Ulta will not give samples, therefore...ulta rarely gets my business. My favorite makeup shops are Nordstrlm and Sephora hands down. Sephora's skin matching tool is excellent.
 
Hello Satindesire.

My eleven year old has started getting tiny bumps on her cheek, sometimes a little red. I allowed her to use my gentle cleanser to wash her face tonight but what would be a good long term solution for her? Skin problems do not run in our family.

Is there a skincare regime for someone so young? I have her drink water, eat healthy (she is great about eating veggies and fruits, loves fish) and get good sleep. I make sure she wears sunscreen too.

Thank you for your help!

I don't have Satin's expertise, but I'll chime in with my fave. Definitely a nice gentle cleanser (such as Cetaphil or Spectrogel) are good. My favorite thing to put on my face is grape seed oil (do a google search of grape seed oil on face). I've used a lot of different moisturizers and now it's the only thing I use. It's cheap, a little goes a long way (5 or 6 drops are all you need for your entire face), it's unscented, it's anti-inflammatory (so it will reduce redness), it's anti-bacterial (so it'll prevent acne), it's light, absorbs quickly, etc... and if you try it and don't like it, you can use it to cook with (or massage with, make hot oil hair treatments, sugar scrubs, etc...) so it won't go to waste.
 
Hello Satindesire.

My eleven year old has started getting tiny bumps on her cheek, sometimes a little red. I allowed her to use my gentle cleanser to wash her face tonight but what would be a good long term solution for her? Skin problems do not run in our family.

Is there a skincare regime for someone so young? I have her drink water, eat healthy (she is great about eating veggies and fruits, loves fish) and get good sleep. I make sure she wears sunscreen too.

Thank you for your help!

I strongly recommend you take her to a dermatologist. It could be as minor as she's starting puberty and has the beginning stages of acne, or it could be something as serious as an internal allergy or long-term skin issue like eczema or psoriasis! Get it diagnosed to make sure you don't need professional products and treatment. :heart: I hope she feels better soon!

Makeup and hair...swoon...

Some of my favorite things to talk about. I am already loving this thread. I'm big on skincare. You need a lovely canvas to make your "art" pop!

Absolutely! Skin care is one of the most important parts of beauty and health!

I couldn't agree more! The light in Sephora is horrendous. Mac is the same, but a bit better. Nordstrom is even worse for cosmetics. They all have incredible return policies and will give you sample product to try. I normally get a sample and apply in natural light (just as the makeup fairy recommends). Ulta will not give samples, therefore...ulta rarely gets my business. My favorite makeup shops are Nordstrlm and Sephora hands down. Sephora's skin matching tool is excellent.

Sephora is my Mecca. Hands down my favorite place in the world.

I don't have Satin's expertise, but I'll chime in with my fave. Definitely a nice gentle cleanser (such as Cetaphil or Spectrogel) are good. My favorite thing to put on my face is grape seed oil (do a google search of grape seed oil on face). I've used a lot of different moisturizers and now it's the only thing I use. It's cheap, a little goes a long way (5 or 6 drops are all you need for your entire face), it's unscented, it's anti-inflammatory (so it will reduce redness), it's anti-bacterial (so it'll prevent acne), it's light, absorbs quickly, etc... and if you try it and don't like it, you can use it to cook with (or massage with, make hot oil hair treatments, sugar scrubs, etc...) so it won't go to waste.


Fantastic advice, thank you Simplegirl! Coconut oil would also be a great cleansing oil that has multiple benefits for the skin as well!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top