Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shitty weather is shitty.
SDC11273.jpg

Now this was a great day. New story came out and is doing well, four times stories were faved by readers (the new one twice) added to three fave author lists as well. Not bad at all. :)

Sometimes I just want to cry because my life is so hopeless.

But I know I'm lucky and things could be so much worse.

This move is going to happen whether I'm ready for it or not. I don't want to leave here, but I have no choice, really.

It's going to get better.

Sometimes I just want to cry because my life is so hopeless.

But I know I'm lucky and things could be so much worse.

This move is going to happen whether I'm ready for it or not. I don't want to leave here, but I have no choice, really.

It's going to get better.

One day as I sat musing
Sad and lonely,
And without a friend,
A voice came to me from out of the gloom saying,
"Cheer up, things could be worse!"
So I cheered up - And sure enough,
Things got worse.

Its good to see you again :D

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2012/03/02

If you aspire to be a writer, you could do worse than have a birthday on 2 March— you'd be in some pretty damn good company.

...It's the birthday of journalist and novelist Tom Wolfe, born in Richmond, Virginia (1931). He wrote The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (1968), about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. He also wrote The Right Stuff (1979), about the American space program. Though he viewed nonfiction as the best way to comment on the really important things in life, he also wrote three novels: The Bonfire of the Vanities (1987), A Man in Full (1998), and I am Charlotte Simmons (2004). His fourth novel, Back to Blood, is due out this year (2012).

In an essay published in 2007, Tom Wolfe argued that the newspaper industry would stand a much better chance of survival if newspaper editors encouraged reporters to "provide the emotional reality of the news, for it is the emotions, not the facts, that most engage and excite readers and in the end are the heart of most stories." He said journalists should use four literary devices in their work — "to make the reader feel present in the scene described and even inside the skin of a particular character." They are: 1) constructing scenes; 2) dialogue — lots of it; 3) carefully noting social status details, "everything from dress and furniture to the infinite status clues of speech"; and 4) point of view, "in the Henry Jamesian sense of putting the reader inside the mind of someone other than the writer."

____________​

Today is the 70th birthday of John Irving, born John Wallace Blunt Jr. in Exeter, New Hampshire, in 1942. By the time he was two years old, his parents had divorced and he never heard from his father again. His mother eventually remarried and gave him his stepfather's last name, Irving.

His first three books were received well by critics, but didn't sell well; his fourth novel was his first popular success: The World According to Garp (1978), and it's about the fatherless son of a radical feminist. The absence of a parent, especially the father, is a recurring theme in Irving's work. In 1981, his mother gave him a stack of letters that she had kept from him, letters that Irving's father had written during World War II. Irving learned that his father was an Air Force pilot, and had been shot down over Burma. It was also the first time he realized that his father had wanted to keep in touch with him; he considered tracking his father down, but didn't want to hurt his stepfather. Instead, he used some of his father's stories in his book The Cider House Rules (1985).

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2012/03/02

Was talking to the woman at the gym that teaches kickboxing. Made a small connection. Might have somebody to hit the pads with a few times a week.

I sometimes get plots from that half-awake stage between asleep and awake but this morning's one?

I was on a car ferry returning from France and the UK government had introduced a new requirement for travellers. Apparently unless you were vaccinated against the latest viral infection you needed an injection before entering the UK again.

So far, so good.

But the injection required was a peeled kiwi fruit. The nurse trying to inject it into my thigh had a standard size syringe and was having extreme difficulty fitting the kiwi fruit into it. It was going everywhere but my thigh.

What plot bunny do I make from that?

The old home town is nowhere near the same and about everyone I knew is either dead or gone somewhere else.

Time to head back to the place i call home three generations later. .

Intriguing Title? Lo Cunto Di Li Cunti

While sorting through books at the charity shop this morning I found an English translation of Lo Cunto Di Li Cunti.

I thought that the title must be of an *interesting* book, using my incomplete knowledge of ancient Neapolitan to translate it as "The Tale of Fifty-One Cunts".

I was wrong. It was a collection, the first, of Italian Fairy Tales:
Pentamerone

But can I write "The Tale of Fifty-One Cunts"?

It might be an interesting challenge.

PS. "Lo Cunto Di Li Cunti" actually translates as "The Tale of Tales". But it could be "The Tale of Tails". ;)

I'm sitting there trying to figure out how to work a story a new angle. I don't usually go the pressure cooker route, I'm much more the gasoline on dry kindling. I need to straighten it all in my head when I realize, there was this place I used to go all the time that was a great writers community... what was that?

Oh yeah, here :)

It has been a very long time. Hello everyone

I'm sitting there trying to figure out how to work a story a new angle. I don't usually go the pressure cooker route, I'm much more the gasoline on dry kindling. I need to straighten it all in my head when I realize, there was this place I used to go all the time that was a great writers community... what was that?

Oh yeah, here :)

It has been a very long time. Hello everyone

Long time no see ans welcome back.

I've just been out letting off some steam and decompressing somwhat myself.

A lot of the old names are gone for good but there are some pretty good replacements around.

I am ready for some sunshine....
February and March (this far) has sucked.
I need to vent...
My fiance and I had to move out of our house... I got my shit out like a whirling dervish, but he piddle-farted around. So for two weeks we weren't living together, which was awkward. (All right, so after 5.5 years, it was way weird.)
So he tells me last week he isn't coming. (there's a lot of story I am skipping in interest of brevity.)
We hadn't talked since last Wednesday, and he texts me today. This week I've assumed we were breaking up due to previous conversations, and today he acted like it wasn't what he wanted. I took the bull by the horns and ended it.
So... I am back on the market apparently.

I feel..................awkward.
I need to sit and write my heart out, and then I will be cleansed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEi7GPkxfsE

I am ready for some sunshine....
February and March (this far) has sucked.
I need to vent...
My fiance and I had to move out of our house... I got my shit out like a whirling dervish, but he piddle-farted around. So for two weeks we weren't living together, which was awkward. (All right, so after 5.5 years, it was way weird.)
So he tells me last week he isn't coming. (there's a lot of story I am skipping in interest of brevity.)
We hadn't talked since last Wednesday, and he texts me today. This week I've assumed we were breaking up due to previous conversations, and today he acted like it wasn't what he wanted. I took the bull by the horns and ended it.
So... I am back on the market apparently.

I feel..................awkward.
I need to sit and write my heart out, and then I will be cleansed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEi7GPkxfsE

That is just... just... *hugs*

__

I didn't get enough sleep last night. Can I get a do-over and go back to bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back