Dark Receiver

"OK stay here and don't move unless somebody is around to catch you. I'll be right back."

Claire was sure Glen was over-reacting but she smiled and murmured.

".. yes boss ... "

Relaxing back in the chair, she exhaled and closed her eyes momentarily, feeling her head spinning slightly. She snapped her eyes open and took a steadying breath determined not to do anything as silly as faint.

She turned her head to glance out across the theatre. From there she could only see a few people seated in the stalls. As before they had scripts in hand, but appeared to be looking upwards at the rigging above the stage from which lights and all manner of props and effects might take place.

If those lights had landed on Abigail ... or on herself ...

"There you go, brought you some sweet tea as well, believe it or not it actually... "

He seemed to hesitate. Claire wondered if she actually looked paler than she had when he left. She certainly felt it.

"...helps."

She took the water from him and set it aside, deciding to sip the tea whilst it was still hot.

" .. thanks Glen ... "

She murmured, wincing as the sweetness danced on her taste buds, the flavour alien to her compared to the usual strong brews she enjoyed.
Yet she continued to sip slowly knowing that it would do her good.

"If you need to go ... produce ... I'll be fine ... I'll finish this and be along soon ... "

She reassured him with an apologetic smile, not wanting to waste Glen's valuable rehearsal time.
 
Glen Kane

He shook his head and sat with her,

"Everybody is in shock, it will take some time to get over the jitters and then we can continue. If they see that you are alright and doing Juliet as good as you can, then they will get into the act as well."

He leaned back and looked curiously at her, hesitating before continuing,

"Just out of curiosity, you haven't seen somebody in stage clothes today have you?"
 
"Everybody is in shock, it will take some time to get over the jitters and then we can continue.

She smiled across at him as he sat beside her.

"If they see that you are alright and doing Juliet as good as you can, then they will get into the act as well."

She nodded and smiled. She could do that for him; for the sake of the production.

"... just pick the scene ... "

She told him.

"Just out of curiosity, you haven't seen somebody in stage clothes today have you?"

She blinked and considered the question.

" ... stage clothes ...? There was someone working on the weapons you asked for; the rapiers, Romeo's dagger and mine ... Why?"
 
Glen Kane

He frowned,

"I saw somebody over at the refreshment tables with a costume on, it only struck me when I got back here and when I peeked out he was gone."

He shrugged it off,

"Must be my imagination running amok with me,"

smiling at her he stretched out his legs.

"What would you take be on running about in jeans and a t-shirt, spouting off Old English and having to dodge flying bullets?"
 
"I saw somebody over at the refreshment tables with a costume on, it only struck me when I got back here and when I peeked out he was gone."

Beth wasn't sure what he was talking about but before she could enquire, he shrugged and commented.

"Must be my imagination running amok with me,"

She finished her tea and commented.

"Well .. a producer needs imagination ... "

She glanced at her arm and checked out the dressing. It was secure and comfortable. She was sure she'd heal quickly enough.

"What would you take be on running about in jeans and a t-shirt, spouting off Old English and having to dodge flying bullets?"

Beth's eyes widened at his words.

"I think that sounds ... exciting ... "

She had thought that Glen would have to give into commercial pressure and the hint of anything different captured her interest immediately.

"What exactly did you have in mind?"

She enquired, her dizziness forgotten as she eagerly awaited his ideas ...
 
Glen Kane

"I'm working on my modernization idea again, of course jeans and t-shirt is just one of the different set of clothes that you will be wearing...the swords classical 9mm Parabellums, modified to suit their owners of course. The dagger, still working on that either a derringer or a small 3 round 9mm pistol. Heck why not a switchblade? It seems like the young people of today carries more switchblades than knives."

He smiled at the thoughts,

"Oh what fun I will have."
 
Beth listened to him reeling off weapon descriptions an amused smile on her lips.

"Oh what fun I will have."

She chuckled.

"... sounds like dangerous stuff ... but which seen would I be bullet dodging in ...?"
 
Glen Kane

He faced her,

"I will have to edit the scenes a bit, they will not meet at the ball, but at a party, she is the sister of local gang leader, her father the boss of all the gangs. A fight ensues as Romeo fights to protect her from what he deems a threat. The nurse will have to be either exchanged or changed, can't have a wet nurse following a girl of 18 around in a modern tale now can we?"
 
"I will have to edit the scenes a bit, they will not meet at the ball, but at a party, she is the sister of local gang leader, her father the boss of all the gangs. A fight ensues as Romeo fights to protect her from what he deems a threat. The nurse will have to be either exchanged or changed, can't have a wet nurse following a girl of 18 around in a modern tale now can we?"

Claire was surprised as she listened to his ideas.

"Sounds like a West Side Story-type interpretation ... "

She told him.

" ... perhaps we could glam up poor Abigail a bit. Refashion her as mature-woman-of-the-world. The sexualised language and her fixation on men could be repackaged to make her Cougar-supreme ... "

Claire chuckled.
 
Glen Kane

"And friend to the family! Fabulous!"

He laughed,

"That is what happens when you tell your plans, you get better ideas from a different perspective. I will definitely use that."

He frowned,

"My only problem is that the movies have messed up so many things for theater that the young crowds think they come here to get bored and that is not what I want. I want to captivate. Think of Mercutio in biker gear, a chain in one hand saying: "Consort! what, dost thou make us minstrels? an thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but discords: here's my fiddlestick; here's that shall make you dance. 'Zounds, consort!" and then start swinging away with the chain at a man who is trying to draw a pistol."
 
"And friend to the family! Fabulous!"
That is what happens when you tell your plans, you get better ideas from a different perspective. I will definitely use that."


Claire smiled in pleasure that he had liked her idea and also felt that Abigail would love the revamp of her character!

"My only problem is that the movies have messed up so many things for theater that the young crowds think they come here to get bored and that is not what I want. I want to captivate. Think of Mercutio in biker gear, a chain in one hand saying: "Consort! what, dost thou make us minstrels? an thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but discords: here's my fiddlestick; here's that shall make you dance. 'Zounds, consort!" and then start swinging away with the chain at a man who is trying to draw a pistol."

Her eyes danced at the prospect of it.

"Then that is what they have to hear about. Didn't you say that we might rehearse in the park? Perhaps we hold back on that until we're sufficiently competent to appear 'in character' at all times."

Her dizziness seemed to have gone as her imagination ran riot.

"I could easily see that opening scene playing out in the park. Gangs own the turf at either side and the park is supposed neutral territory where every-day folks gather and cross. People can't help but be engaged if the action is happening all around them."

She put the sweet water aside and stood stretching.

"Young people are into movies and action. We could be 'on location' and take it out into the community. Perhaps there is a way to film those places and play it as a backdrop to the action complete with sound effects or special effects ... that's what young people go for ... "

She chuckled.

"Just please don't work out how to put me into 3-D!"
 
Glen Kane

"Oh I can do that, actually it is not a bad idea. Interactive theater, the actors be able to move where they want, without being there."

He chuckled at the thought,

"Yes we will be rehearsing outside, but it will be for this play, the more traditional one. I actually have a plan on how to do it, to give it a more theatrical feel for the players, but that you will see when you get there."

He gave her a wink and got up,

"Right, so Juliet art thou in health and can thou speaketh to thy fellow man?"
 
"Oh I can do that, actually it is not a bad idea. Interactive theater, the actors be able to move where they want, without being there.
Yes we will be rehearsing outside, but it will be for this play, the more traditional one. I actually have a plan on how to do it, to give it a more theatrical feel for the players, but that you will see when you get there."


Claire giggled loving the fact that he had so many interesting ideas!

"Right, so Juliet art thou in health and can thou speaketh to thy fellow man?"

She nodded.

"Fit and ready ... "

She told him and walked with him back to the stage where the rest of the company awaited.
 
Glen Kane

He joined the group on stage,

"Right people, we all had a nasty shock, but like famous quote goes, "The show must go on", the props is ready, so let's continue."

He stood in his normal spot, looked up at the cable and frowned. Strange. He then focused on the cast and was only lenient until the second line was spoken.

"STOP! Get into character! You can not be you, the people are here to see Benvolio, not Jack. Elron, talk to them, they are in this scene with you."
 
"STOP! Get into character! You can not be you, the people are here to see Benvolio, not Jack. Elron, talk to them, they are in this scene with you."

Claire sat in the stalls watching the scene being set up and started.
She quirked a smile as she heard Glen demanding perfection, but noted what he said. The audience were not there to see each of them, but the character they were to portray. A magpie for quotes, Claire noted Glen's words eager to learn even when she was being an observer.

Her eyes moved to Elron as he spoke to Jack and though she could not hear the conversation she knew that he was being as patient with him as he had been with her in the park when they had discussed Phebe and Juliet.

Just in front of her Glen was absorbed in jotting notes in his script margin, glancing round to check that his other actors were ready for their cues and then finally looked back to where she was seated catching her watching him.

Claire smiled back at him. Even at a cursory glance it was clear that she was totally engaged with the staging and rehearsal rather than sitting killing time before it was her go to stand up as many other more experienced actresses might.
 
Glen Kane

He noticed that Samantha was looking at him and he returned her smile, he ran his fingers through his hair and continued to write down his notes. A few moments later Elron started the scene again, Glen looked on, Elron of course seemed unfazed and delivered his usual, the other was better, but not up to par yet. He decided to let them go on, there was a lot of time of to catch up again. They worked through the second act and after they were finished, it was also time to leave.

"Right thank you people, if you want to grab something before you go home, there is some coffee and cookies on the table. See you tomorrow and please do stay safe out there."

He collected his stuff and then looked up at the cable, stroking his chin as he inspected it.
 

"Right thank you people, if you want to grab something before you go home, there is some coffee and cookies on the table.



The rest of the day had been uneventful. They had worked through the first two acts and no further reference had been made to the incident.

"See you tomorrow and please do stay safe out there."

Beth was tempted to loiter over coffee, but thought she'd get home promptly. Her arm was slightly sore and she decided that she'd change the dressing when she got home. It was only a scratch and had been cleaned properly, still she thought it wise.

She called out as she entered the house. Her mother's pleasure at her prompt return home was soon eclipsed by concern as she took in the dressing on her arm.

"Dont' fuss mum, it's not serious."

She washed her hands and sat down for the family meal, trying to avoid dramatising the accident, describing it as "... a problem with the lights ... always can happen when first setting up the staging ... "

Her father interrupted.

"Was that fellow, Elron anywhere nearby at the time?"

Claire was suprised by the question.

"No ... Abigail was nearer ... I don't think Elron was even on the stage, why?"

She got nothing more than a shrug out of her father.
 
Glen Kane

Of course he had to report the incident, after an inspection that left everybody puzzled. The cable have just...pulled loose, it didn't make any sense, if Glen didn't get up when he did and if Claire didn't react there would have been a very serious accident. The evening was uneventful, but the strange person that Glen spoke to kept plaqueing him and not even Elron could explain it. The next morning Glen was up way earlier than ever before, just for the heck of it he visited the gym, from there he went to the theater, the owners said that they will get the lights fixed during the day and that it would not interfere much with his work. He was busy drinking coffee when his rapier students showed up, putting them through their paces he really drove them to master the basics, so far they looked like frogs wielding toothpicks, but he knew by the time he was done with them they would look like they could wield a rapier and use it with moderate success.
 
Claire was actually late!

Her parents had been really weird the night before, which had been disquietening enough, but when she got up that morning all set to go through her new routine of a shower, quick breakfast and then heading out for the bus she found both her parents up and waiting for her.

Her mother insisted on checking the cut and declared with relief that it was healing well. Her father seemed almost disappointed at the news and launched into all manner of lectures about the theatre being a dangerous place, the people she was working with just undisciplined and tearaways and that he really thought that Claire would do well just to focus on academic studies rather than waste her days - which he had noted were becoming longer and longer - 'play acting'.

It wasn't that Claire was speechless, she could well defend her corner, but he went on and on with barely a pause for her to interject, even as the minutes ticked by and time flew.

Finally Claire raised her voice to interrupt his flow.

"Daddy!"

Mr Westall was so surprised that he stopped in mid-sentence.

"I can't discuss this now. This is a job. I've signed a contract."

She lied.

"There are a company of people waiting for me and whatever you think of them, like me acting is their life and we have a production to put on."

She grabbed her bag and snagged her coat from the peg beside the door.

"Accidents happen. And if I get run over, or crushed by falling lights, or ... whatever ... at least I'll be living my life."

She turned to face both parents as she shook her head sadly.

"I don't think I can keep going through all this anymore ... "

She told them before turning and heading off brusquely in the direction of the bus stop.

Her parents were getting more and more weird and if she could afford to move out then she would. They were definitely taking the gloss of the role she had been fortunate enough to secure for herself. And to top it all she was terribly late!
 
Glen Kane

He had stalled for as long as he could, but Claire did not show up, for a while he worried that she may have gotten caught up, but then motioned for the cast to continue. It was while Benvolio was busy relating what happened that he saw her come in, she looked very upset, but he just motioned for her to the stage.

"But by and by comes back to Romeo, who had but newly entertain'd revenge, and to 't they go like lightning, for, ere I could draw to part them, was stout Tybalt slain. And, as he fell, did Romeo turn and fly. This is the truth, or let Benvolio die."

He was sure she would have a good reason as she had the same pure passion for acting as he had, so he was not going to give her too much grief about it.
 
The cast were well into Act III when Claire finally managed to enter the theatre. She slid in via the side stalls and threw a glance across at Glen an apology ready, but he merely waved her onto the stage. She flicked open her script and found the relevant scene.

He is a kinsman to the Montague;
Affection makes him false, he speaks not true.
Some twenty of them fought in this black strife,
And all those twenty could but kill one life.
I beg for justice, which thou, Prince, must give.
Romeo slew Tybalt; Romeo must not live.


She knew they were at the end of the first scene and flicked the pages to confirm that the next scene was the start of the intense storyline of Juliet and she knew that she was soon to deliver her ".. gallop apace ... " scene.
With a frown, Claire shook herself. She wasn't there yet. This wasn't about delivering a scene, it was about finding where Juliet was and giving that to the audience. She slung her bag aside and sat at the side watching the scene's end:

"I have an interest in your hate's proceeding,
My blood for your rude brawls doth lie ableeding;
But I'll amerce you with so strong a fine
That you shall all repent the loss of mine.
I will be deaf to pleading and excuses;
Nor tears nor prayers shall purchase out abuses.
Therefore use none. Let Romeo hence in haste,(200)
Else, when he is found, that hour is his last.
Bear hence this body, and attend our will.
Mercy but murders, pardoning those that kill."


It was over all too quickly.
Beth briefly wished that the next scene was the confrontation between Lord Capulet and Juliet, she was definitely in the right place for that!

She cast her script aside and stood readying herself to move forward as soon as Glen announced the next scene ...
 
Glen Kane

"Right that was great, give us a second."

The stagehand jumped to work to set up the new props and he walked over to Claire where she stood.

"Mr Capulet got you upset."

It was a soft statement, for her ears only, as was the rest of the cast didn't need to know.

"But right now I will be testing you acting capabilities, be Juliet and I will let this one slide."

He gave her shoulder a squeeze and then went to help setting up the last prop.
 
"Right that was great, give us a second."

Claire watched Glen crossing the stage to her. She braced herself for a reprimand the apology more than ready to offer him.

"Mr Capulet got you upset."

She smiled slightly at their code word for her father. She was amazed that he had guessed. She bit her lip and nodded, realising that she was actually more upset than angry at him.

"But right now I will be testing you acting capabilities, be Juliet and I will let this one slide."

His demanding words were contradicted by the squeeze of her shoulder.

She nodded, not quite trusting her voice; touched by his gesture of support and uncompromising level of expectation of her, Claire closed her eyes to focus summoning Juliet's excitement at the forthcoming wedding night and for some reason found Glen's image coming to mind rather than that of Elron, her 'production Romeo'.

The cue was given for the start of the scene. Claire stepped forward, but by the time she had settled herself at the front of centre stage, she was Juliet, her eyes lifted upwards contemplating the 'love-performing night'.

"Come, civil night,
Thou sober-suited matron, all in black,
And learn me how to lose a winning match,
Play'd for a pair of stainless maidenhoods.
Hood my unmann'd blood, bating in my cheeks,
With thy black mantle till strange love, grown bold,
Think true love acted simple modesty..."


She spoke the words slowly, the meaning of the words bringing a blush to her cheeks as she entered into Juliet's longing and eagerness.

"Come, night; come, Romeo; come, thou day in night; ..."

The words continued the imagery of heavens and stars spoken out to the audience.

"O, I have bought the mansion of a love,
But not possess'd it; and though I am sold,
Not yet enjoy'd."


Her words spoken as an impatient child combined with the desires of the young woman linked prefectly to her reference to the 'impatient child' and the arrival of the nurse ...

"Now, nurse, what news? What hast thou there?"


She sprung up and flung herself upon Abigail, drawing back in puzzlement at the woman's dejected manner.

And so began the change of tempo, the discovery of 'Romeo's' actions and the change to her growing despair.

The arguments with her parents totally forgotten ...
 
Glen Kane

Acting was the key, he watched as she transformed herself from the upset girl who would have butchered the role to Juliet. He followed the acting, at times showing some of the actors what he wanted and had them practice it until they got it right. By the time they were finished with the third act he could see that they were exhausted, well of course Elron was conditioned to this, so he looked as fresh as a daisy.

"Right people, no rest for the wicked, let's start with Act four,"

several groans made him grin,

"Is there a problem?"

Nobody came to the fore and he chuckled,

"Prince, you will have to stay in character and tell me that you are tired and need a respite. Meal and drink is ready at yonder feast table, rush rush kind chickens, feed and rest thyself, for surely a golden egg is what the master expects of thee."
 
Act III, Scene V. The Scene with Lord Capulet!
Claire was engrossed in the role as Juliet and despite her previous thoughts, made no link between the events at home and the events between her and the Capulet parents!

"I'll to the friar to know his remedy.
If all else fail, myself have power to die. "


She was as exhausted as the rest of the cast by then and with just cause.


"Right people, no rest for the wicked, let's start with Act four,"

There was a brief undertone of rebellion, quickly quashed as Glen announced,

"Meal and drink is ready at yonder feast table, rush rush kind chickens, feed and rest thyself, for surely a golden egg is what the master expects of thee."


Claire grabbed a light bite and drank plenty of water as was her habit. She sat to the side determined to keep the momentum and character of Juliet during the break, looking up only as the young man who played Paris and with whom she was to share part of the next scene sat down beside her. She liked him, but didn't know him particularly well, still this was not the time to sit and have a cosy chat, no matter how briefly. It had been difficult enough to work out the dynamic between them the previous two times they had read this scene together.

Happily met, my lady and my wife!

He greeted her, a glint of mischief as moved to sit beside her and wrapping his arms around her and made to kiss her.

Deftly Claire evaded the kiss and tried to ease free of his embrace.

"That may be, sir, when I may be a wife."

Her forced polite tone held repressed anger. Uncertain whether he was really being 'flirty' or rehearsing, she remained seated beside him.

That may be must be, love, on Thursday next.

He captured her hand and raised it slowly to his lips, his charm and sudden originality impressing Claire until as married Juliet she pulled her hand free and took to her feet rebuffing him with a neutral;

"What must be shall be."

In a shot he was on his feet, an arm around her as he queried;

Come you to make confession to this father?

It was easy to find the appropriate irritation to retort.

To answer that, I should confess to you.

She found herself facing him, his eyes intent.

Do not deny to him that you love me

She felt caged, claustrophobic, just as Juliet should. It was the first time they had found the right dynamics and she was totally absorbed as she responded.

I will confess to you that I love him. JUL:

Paris was almost sleazy with assurance.

So will ye, I am sure, that you love me.

She found she was unable to put physical distance between them and so became more pointed in retort.

If I do so, it will be of more price,
Being spoke behind your back, than to your face.


Undeterred, his hand brushed her face lightly.

"Poor soul, thy face is much abus'd with tears."

The tears have got small victory by that,
For it was bad enough before their spite.


Thou wrong'st it more than tears with that report.

That is no slander, sir, which is a truth;
And what I spake, I spake it to my face.


Again and again she was frustrated by his responses to her harsh words.

Thy face is mine, and thou hast sland'red it.

It may be so, for it is not mine own.

The private rehearsal at he side of the stage had found an intimacy and rhythm that she was sure they could replicate with the Friar's presence and in the confessional setting. By way of returning to the 'reality' of their impromptu improvisation, Claire spoke her next;

Are you at leisure, holy father, now,
Or shall I come to you at evening mass?


She had NOT expected a response to come back:

My leisure serves me, pensive daughter, now.
My lord, we must entreat the time alone.


Before she could step out of character enough to identify who had fed her the line, 'Paris' responded:

"God shield I should disturb devotion!"

Then uncaring of the 'Friar's' presenceJ totally invaded her space to deliver:

"Juliet, on Thursday early will I rouse ye.
Till then, adieu, and keep this holy kiss. "


As she emerged from what Claire considered a most 'unholy' kiss she was more than ready to continue with her "Oh, shut the door!" , but was brought suddenly back to the reality of the present ...
 
Back
Top