Ornithamateurs - The Birding Thread

That shiny bird is beautiful!

The buzzards are taunting me, Yesterday one flew by my car for a LONG way, following the road with me, as I cursed I could not get a picture, and this morning when I was having an important 'conversation' with the foal that took two hands, the buzzard came to watch, sitting on the gate. Conversation over I went to pull out my phone.....gone.

He knows! :eek:
Evil buzzard...

That shiny bird is beautiful!

The buzzards are taunting me, Yesterday one flew by my car for a LONG way, following the road with me, as I cursed I could not get a picture, and this morning when I was having an important 'conversation' with the foal that took two hands, the buzzard came to watch, sitting on the gate. Conversation over I went to pull out my phone.....gone.

Birds of prey. Very intelligent and know how not to get caught.... many species have had a lot of practice at this :-(

From trophy hunters or something? Or just photographers? :D

Nowadays there's a few who find birds of prey a nuisance, they feel they take too many young birds or perhaps racing pigeons. The Wildlife Crime Officers in the police do seem still to be quite busy sad to say :-(

Fantastic, I recall seeing this at a distance in the NW of the US, but never really seeing this glorious colour!

Anyway, I know you can barely tell I am totally fascinated by them :rolleyes: I will look for a pic, though I have none of my own. If I can find a recording of some of their calls I will post that as well.

/EndFanaticBabble :D

Pic:
COGR2.jpg

And here is a link to a YouTube video. A lady did a pretty good job of recording my favourite call odd theirs, as they make several different sounds.

Grackle song.[/QUOTE]

Not quite the UK...

Australian magpie... looks like a pied crow from the UK!

Attachments

• IMG_0847.JPG
    IMG_0847.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
At the weekend walking around the field with friends

Friend : what is that?

Me: the buzzard

Friend: I don't like it

Me: I can fix it. ( gets out phone and tries to put it on camera)

Buzzard: flies away fast.

Friend: does it get a dry mouth on the phone?

Haha!
And darn. :D

At the weekend walking around the field with friends

Friend : what is that?

Me: the buzzard

Friend: I don't like it

Me: I can fix it. ( gets out phone and tries to put it on camera)

Buzzard: flies away fast.

Friend: does it get a dry mouth on the phone?

Haha
This week cycling back from station to b&b

Buzzard sat on telegraph pole
Hoorah, I have proper camera with me.
Stop bike, reach for camera in bag... velcro straps

Buzzard peers at noise and b****rs off as I raise camera skywards

Bah!

From a while back

Australian King Parrot I think!

Attachments

• Aus Nov 2007 044.JPG
    Aus Nov 2007 044.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0849.JPG
    IMG_0849.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
I haven't been birding much lately, but last week was pleased to catch sight off a peregrine falcon in flight (just managing to keep my car on the road meanwhile :eek:). And now comes the time of being able to go out of doors without melting, and am looking forward to seeing the annual whooping crane migration as well.

And I didn't want my thread slipping into the void :D

I haven't been birding much lately, but last week was pleased to catch sight off a peregrine falcon in flight (just managing to keep my car on the road meanwhile :eek:). And now comes the time of being able to go out of doors without melting, and am looking forward to seeing the annual whooping crane migration as well.

And I didn't want my thread slipping into the void :D

And it nearly did... long time, no see, have been a tad occupied...

Hope you are well, and the spring is not heating up too much!!
:rose:

We usually get Robins down here this time of year. I only seen one.
Fewer and fewer each year.

For as long as I remember, the dark hours of spring have rocked with the songs of Chuck Will's Widows and whipoorwills. No more...they are all but gone, ground nesters done in by feral hogs. Ditto everything else that gives birth at ground level. Tragic, with no solution in sight.

Back