Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Tio. A track I associate with The Charlie Watts Quintet. Yes, the same Charlie Watts. He may be a Rolling Stone, but he's a jazz drummer at heart. :)

What a wonderful description.
I can almost hear the
BBC Announcer:-

"And now we present an interlude of music, played this evening by the Charlie Watts Quintet, with vocal accompaniment by Mr Michael Jagger."
:)

Last edited:
I never did get this "8 to the bar" thing at all.:(
An 'idiot's guide' would be useful.
:)

It's about the rhythm, HP.

Three to the bar (a waltz) is one accentuated beat followed by two unaccentuated beats. (Although six-eight - 1-2-3- 4-5-6, sometimes known as a 'jazz waltz, is a bit similar.)

Four to the bar is one accented beat followed by three unaccented beats.

Eight to the bar is eight beats, the first of which is accentuated.

And then you get to the trickier measures such as Dave Brubeck's 'Blue Rondo a la Turk' which is 9/8, played as 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-3.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
It's about the rhythm, HP.

Three to the bar (a waltz) is one accentuated beat followed by two unaccentuated beats. (Although six-eight - 1-2-3- 4-5-6, sometimes known as a 'jazz waltz, is a bit similar.)

Four to the bar is one accented beat followed by three unaccented beats.

Eight to the bar is eight beats, the first of which is accentuated.

And then you get to the trickier measures such as Dave Brubeck's 'Blue Rondo a la Turk' which is 9/8, payed as 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-4.

Enjoy. :)
#

Thank you.
Where's the 'Bar' ?

And yes, I DO enjoy my music [I know damn all about it but I like a lot of it !]

#

Thank you.
Where's the 'Bar' ?

And yes, I DO enjoy my music [I know damn all about it but I like a lot of it !]

When you find the bar, may I recommend you ask the bartender for the cocktail Blood, Sweat and Tears?

2 oz tequila blanco
1 oz chipotle honey syrup
.5 oz blood orange juice
.5 oz lime juice
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice, shake until chilled. Doubled strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with a chipotle-sugar dusted strawberry.

while you are listening to the eponymous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gxwutvlTw8

#

Thank you.
Where's the 'Bar' ?

The "bar" is the line of music from one downbeat to the next. If you look at some sheet music, you'll see the staff divided by vertical lines, or 'bars;' the space between two dividers is a bar of music.

When you find the bar, may I recommend you ask the bartender for the cocktail Blood, Sweat and Tears?

2 oz tequila blanco
1 oz chipotle honey syrup
.5 oz blood orange juice
.5 oz lime juice
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice, shake until chilled. Doubled strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with a chipotle-sugar dusted strawberry.

while you are listening to the eponymous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gxwutvlTw8

For me, no one has matched Laura Nyro's original.

Until today I had never heard her music. I'm impressed, not only by her talent but also to the influence she had on groups that were my favorites while growing up.

I recognised the name, but never heard her music.
it's impressive.

On the BBC Home news this evening; the Queen of Soul has left us.
She was suffering Pancreatic Cancer.

I thought the title 'King of Rock and Roll' ws given to Little Richard, who's now 85.

That title has been tagged to several musicians over the years, Little Richard being one of them in part due to his album of the same name.

Chuck Berry is often referred to as The King also.

I was going with the idea most people think of Elvis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back