The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Valentine's Day Contest Support Thread

I know exactly what's been wrong with one of them I've been fiddling with for a couple of years. It's a story that requires quite a bit of build-up, and I was trying to force it to stay within boundaries.

Problem is, I may not have enough time left to get it finished this year by the time I expand the interactions to where they need to be :p

I just started one that has a whole 684 words so far. :rolleyes:

If I learn to sleep at night, I might have a clearer brain to finish it in time.

[size=+3]Coming Soon!!!![/size]

[size=+2]LITEROTICA[/size]

and the

[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]
Erotica's #1 Writing Association

will present

2014 Valentine’s Day Contests

happy-valentines-day-sexy.jpg

continuing to prove that two contests are better than one...

especially the a.i.r. one!

Which, in the spirit of the forum, you'll toss into the contest anyway, I hope.

Yep. I like the periods of non-eligibility as it gives me an excuse (not that I need much of one anyway) to throw in the Bad Ending stories that never have a chance of winning. The contests are good for attracting new readers (even if the scores are normally buggered up while the contests are running).

This has been discussed before, but I noticed that some stories on the Top List get stuck in the same spot, even though their views have increased.

Does this problem eventually fix itself, or will it always stay stuck?

This has been discussed before, but I noticed that some stories on the Top List get stuck in the same spot, even though their views have increased.

Does this problem eventually fix itself, or will it always stay stuck?

If you're talking about the incest top list, just give up.

The list has been broken going on a year and not only has it been mentioned repeatedly, but Laurel showed up the last time to said "Oh, okay well we're working on it":rolleyes:

If you click on incest in the story listings and go to the bottom they have an accurate list of the top 20 or so stories. You'll see many are from 2013/2012 which means they are updated, but when you click to the main "hall of fame list" you get the one that has been stuck forever. The 12 month list is just as bad still showing stories from 2011.

But why fix that when they can make all kinds of upgrades that no one ever asked for?

I happen to not be a fan of Valentine's Day, or VD as I call it. It's all good by Mr. Plum since he gets out of buying overpriced flowers. I'd love to see an Erotic Horror or NonConsent story win the contest. A My Bloody Valentine kind of thing.

Bump for 2014. Probably less than three weeks to go to the start of this contest.

I happen to not be a fan of Valentine's Day, or VD as I call it. It's all good by Mr. Plum since he gets out of buying overpriced flowers. I'd love to see an Erotic Horror or NonConsent story win the contest. A My Bloody Valentine kind of thing.

The best shot of an erotic horror win would be something by manyeyedhydra, but he is not eligible this time.

Nonconsent I think is too off theme and the category itself is not normally known for high scores.

But I suppose anything can happen.

Especially if it was written by one of a select few.:rolleyes:

Haven't posted for years as I never seem to get time to finish a story. This time I've scrubbed up one of my 'nearly ready' Val stories and I'm ready to go when the whistle blows.

Working on a couple of stories but time is limited at the present. Maybe next week.

PL can you ask laurel when the dates are going to be published?

I can. I usually just wait until she puts it up, which should be soon.

I will say that last year's dates were: open for submissions Jan 20, closed Feb 5, winners announced Feb 12. I imagine it's similar this year.

I'm pretty sure it's the same dates every year. So it'll start on Monday the 20th, MLK holiday.

I finished my NonConsent story last night, and it's the longest I've ever done- a whopping 4 pages. It'll probably get a low score, but I think it's pretty good.

I've never written a romance story before and I thought it would be easy. How wrong can you be.

My build-up is fine, the conclusion works -I think. It's just the bit between meeting and ever-lasting love that eludes me. I'm going back to 'Beauty and the Beast' for inspiration.

Haven't posted for years as I never seem to get time to finish a story. This time I've scrubbed up one of my 'nearly ready' Val stories and I'm ready to go when the whistle blows.

That's good to hear I'll look forward to reading it.

I'm still mucking around with a couple of ideas and wondering if I can give them enough of a spin into the theme.

Now that I am thinking about it, I'll just ask here as I'm sure someone will know.

I placed in Summer Lovin, am I eligible for this one?

Still trying to enter no matter what, but it may effect which option I go with.

Now that I am thinking about it, I'll just ask here as I'm sure someone will know.

I placed in Summer Lovin, am I eligible for this one?

Still trying to enter no matter what, but it may effect which option I go with.

I believe the rule is you wont be eligible to win again for six months from the contest you won in. (I am no expert though) but you can still enter and join in the fun.

After six failed attempts to reign in a plot bunny I think i finally have one that flows, fingers crossed, so I will be joining even though I don't believe i am eligible to place yet or maybe i am... shrugs it doesn't really matter to me either way.

Good luck catching your bunnies everyone its not as easy as it seems for this contest!

I believe the rule is you wont be eligible to win again for six months from the contest you won in. (I am no expert though) but you can still enter and join in the fun.

After six failed attempts to reign in a plot bunny I think i finally have one that flows, fingers crossed, so I will be joining even though I don't believe i am eligible to place yet or maybe i am... shrugs it doesn't really matter to me either way.

Good luck catching your bunnies everyone its not as easy as it seems for this contest!

Catching bunnies ain't a problem. Keeping them from growing to novel length, now there is the problem. :rolleyes:

Catching bunnies ain't a problem. Keeping them from growing to novel length, now there is the problem. :rolleyes:

I am only 2000 words in so that is definitely not my problem yet.... though this story flows well so it has potential to get out of hand... ;)

I am only 2000 words in so that is definitely not my problem yet.... though this story flows well so it has potential to get out of hand... ;)

I have two started. One is 7700+ words and the other is 8800+ words. One has taken on a life of its own and the other is only halfway home. :rolleyes:

Tell me about it. I just finished a mother/son story and once again I swore, I mean I absolutely swore this fucker would clock in under 10k

Final tally was just shy of 17k:rolleyes:

Back