The hot Arabic chick thread

Just for you, my dear - since you actually have read Scheherazade Goes West! (Everyone else *cough cough* roses! *cough*colates.)
:rose:

tumblr_m0sowsA1vT1qzozj1.jpg

No wonder you're one of my favorites! And what a gorgeous set!

It looks like it's Chinese. Look at the pawns. They're wearing the conical "coolie" hats, with a long queue down their backs. The king and queen also appear to be Celestial. The bishop, too, had odd headgear. Does it resemble a scholar's hat? http://www.china-cart.com/bookpic/20118/20118352316.jpg Either way, the pawns alone are enough to convince me it's Chinese, those queues reek of the Qing dynasty. What a beautiful chess set! I prefer the Isle of Lewis set, myself, but I love sets with character like that. I read one book with all these lovely sets; one was Ghibellines vs Guelphs, and had the Pope and the church on one side against the Emperor and secular forces on the other; even the pawns were distinct. The book was Chess Masterpieces, if anyone's interested: http://covers.booktopia.com.au/big/9780810949232/chess-masterpieces.jpg

No wonder you're one of my favorites! And what a gorgeous set!

It looks like it's Chinese. Look at the pawns. They're wearing the conical "coolie" hats, with a long queue down their backs. The king and queen also appear to be Celestial. The bishop, too, had odd headgear. Does it resemble a scholar's hat? http://www.china-cart.com/bookpic/20118/20118352316.jpg Either way, the pawns alone are enough to convince me it's Chinese, those queues reek of the Qing dynasty. What a beautiful chess set! I prefer the Isle of Lewis set, myself, but I love sets with character like that. I read one book with all these lovely sets; one was Ghibellines vs Guelphs, and had the Pope and the church on one side against the Emperor and secular forces on the other; even the pawns were distinct. The book was Chess Masterpieces, if anyone's interested: http://covers.booktopia.com.au/big/9780810949232/chess-masterpieces.jpg

I think you're spot on about the Bishop's hat. And that book looks fab. What a lovely set on the cover. I thought about buying a replica Isle of Lewis set when Piglet and I went to the British Museum but they are awfully expensive so we settled for Mankala instead.

Matthew, I do love you, I think you're probably the only one who's noticed the chess pieces at all :), and there were lots of other much more inferior sets around in the piccies I selected this from.

I've always nursed an ambition to make up a chess set with objets trouvés. I have some pieces of wave-smoothed glass from the beach for one set of pawns, and I have a chess board somewhere from Pakistan, wood inlaid with brass. They have some lovely woodwork available in Pakistan.

Hey, this is a fantasy thread. Maybe some sheikh with a passion for chess bought her!

:eek: This thread is based on rigorous academic research using only the finest methods and the best quality silken rope!

LOL, I have reason to think she actually is Arabic.

I think you're spot on about the Bishop's hat. And that book looks fab. What a lovely set on the cover. I thought about buying a replica Isle of Lewis set when Piglet and I went to the British Museum but they are awfully expensive so we settled for Mankala instead.

I have seen several replica Isle of Lewis sets for sale in local boot fairs. The quality of the carving, and the materials, vary significantly. Only one set were believable replicas, but the cost was beyond me.

My son-in-law wanted a traditional wooden set for last Christmas. Again the quality, and this time the sizes, were variable. Eventually we found a good new set for him.

There are some wonderful sets for sale on eBay.

Last edited:

Matthew, I do love you, I think you're probably the only one who's noticed the chess pieces at all :), and there were lots of other much more inferior sets around in the piccies I selected this from.

I've always nursed an ambition to make up a chess set with objets trouvés. I have some pieces of wave-smoothed glass from the beach for one set of pawns, and I have a chess board somewhere from Pakistan, wood inlaid with brass. They have some lovely woodwork available in Pakistan.

Once, long ago, a friend and I found ourselves on the beach at the mouth of Jamaica Bay in NYC as the sun was rising. We decided to play a game of chess, and collected shells, driftwood, and odd flotsam for pieces. It was easy enough to trace a board in the sand.
As we began the game, the inevitable happened: the kibbitzers appeared, ready to tsk or harumph our every move. The first was an old bearded man walking a dog. He was soon followed by a young beachcomber. Then a limosousine pulled off the road about 100 meters away, and the chaffeur opened the door for a couple in evening wear. I don't know if the hot chick in the evening gown was Arabic, but your chess post brought the whole event back to mind...

Once, long ago, a friend and I found ourselves on the beach at the mouth of Jamaica Bay in NYC as the sun was rising. We decided to play a game of chess, and collected shells, driftwood, and odd flotsam for pieces. It was easy enough to trace a board in the sand.
As we began the game, the inevitable happened: the kibbitzers appeared, ready to tsk or harumph our every move. The first was an old bearded man walking a dog. He was soon followed by a young beachcomber. Then a limosousine pulled off the road about 100 meters away, and the chaffeur opened the door for a couple in evening wear. I don't know if the hot chick in the evening gown was Arabic, but your chess post brought the whole event back to mind...

What a romantic story! Thank you, Tio. I shall go and find bits for a chess set. Now that I've started clearing out my study, I'm sure to come across the chess board soon. Then it too will be an objet trouvé.

Ooh, I love sea glass! I have one plastic set, a little travel set, and then a nice wooden set from England that my mother got for me over a decade ago. I'd like to start collecting some beautiful sets. Isle of Lewis replicas are pretty expensive, sadly...

Ooh, I love sea glass! I have one plastic set, a little travel set, and then a nice wooden set from England that my mother got for me over a decade ago. I'd like to start collecting some beautiful sets. Isle of Lewis replicas are pretty expensive, sadly...

Gosh, they seriously are! In fact any really nice chess set seems to be about the price of a desert bride (she says, hurriedly pretending to be on-topic. :eek: hijacking my own thread! well it did come out of hijacking one of yours - you were my muse, dahlink).

We have very nice pebbles on the beaches here too. I collect ones with holes worn in them and put them on blue and green strands of fishing net rope with shells. I could use some of those for the other pawns. I've always felt I ought to use bits of nasty rubbish for the chess set to be truly object trouvé but now I think about it, as a postmodern feminist I of course don't subscribe to any nonsense about the Truth so I shall make my chess set out of pretty objets trouvés.
:cool: (diamante sunglasses as worn on the beach).

I'm not sure where these two are going or what they are going to play but....

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well, if they're going upstairs for a game of chess, leave me out. I am an abysmal chess player. Losing one game exhausts me. I'm not sure what winning would do as I don't recall ever doing so . . .

Well, if they're going upstairs for a game of chess, leave me out. I am an abysmal chess player. Losing one game exhausts me. I'm not sure what winning would do as I don't recall ever doing so . . .

Oh, that's too bad! I love chess! Lately I've been playing more Diplomacy, though.

I've been advised that anyone who likes chess should try GO. I haven't the nerve.

I adore playing GO. I think those feathery topped stockings would be just the right thing to wear for GO playing, don't you? I like Mahjong, too. I like whistling to keep the evil spirits out of the game when you close the walls off, and the pretty garden tiles.
:cool:

http://t1.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpUnKh8lEerlu8u0lVD-8YcS2j4yA8AMMXURmtchuvQIQgreiN

I'm not sure I care.:D

I quite agree.

I've been advised that anyone who likes chess should try GO. I haven't the nerve.

I never got my head round chess; nobody in my family played stuff like that.
Now, a card game was another thing all together (and I was bad at most of those, too).

I suspect that Terry Pratchett loosely based the idea of THUD on GO.

I'm not sure where these two are going or what they are going to play but....

attachment.php

God. This is lovely. I was staring at it for way too long. I mean, it's artistic! Delightful light and colors. Well, all that apart from the beautiful butt that my eye kept coming back to.

According to my son, who knows games well, Thud is based on Foxes and Hounds. In his book An Interesting Time Pratchett bases tsimo on GO.

Back