The Makeup Fairy Returns!

satindesire

Queen of Geeks
Hello How-To'ers and Lit Lurkers alike! My name is Megan, aka Makeup Fairy, and I'm here to answer YOUR BURNING QUESTIONS about cosmetics, hair care, personal grooming, fashion and beauty-health!

I had a rather popular and very informative thread that I will link HERE: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=713014

In that thread there are tips about how to Tightline, Shape Eyebrows, Skin Care, the importance of exfoliation, proper use of sunscreen, How to Even Skin Tone, How to Apply Self-Tanner, How to make Monolids look like Double eyelids, Removing Blackheads, How to Correct Hyper-pigmentation, Lengthening Mascaras, How to Care for Color-Treated Hair, How to make Blue Eyes Pop!, Pros and Cons of different textures of Eyeliners, How to make Bitten Nails grow better, and other amazing tips, tricks and advice straight from an ex-model beauty insider to YOU, free of charge!

So, dear Litsters, bring your beauty questions to Me, the Makeup Fairy, and I will do my best to scour the internet, use my own experience and knowledge and find the Right answers for YOU!

Any questions that you feel embarrassed by can be sent to my PM box, and I will answer them anonymously, keeping your identity completely secret.

No question is too hard or too weird for me. I am here to help. :heart:

Last edited:
Tell me about putting on eyeliner so it doesn't look stupid and clumsy.

Please, PLEASE explain to all the young women out there why the raccoon look isn't sexy on anyone. Giving yourself black eyes isn't sultry, it makes you look like you gotten into a fight with a crayola box.:rolleyes:

NM quoth:
giving yourself black eyes isn't sultry, it makes you look like you gotten into a fight with a crayola box.
QFT.

[firm nod]

i've noticed that when some women apply mascara, they make funny faces. maybe that's what lucy is talking about?

ed

Tell me about putting on eyeliner so it doesn't look stupid and clumsy.

I've found the best approach to eyeliner is the KISS method. namely Keep It Simple Stupid. Not that I'm suggesting you are, but there is a second side to it. Less is more. Unless you are going on TV or some other form of being recorded that is not sexual in nature, well maybe then as well, you want to keep it to a minimum.

Little mascara, rouge, and lip gloss is all you need for most things. I did a search and well found a video of a woman applying eyeliner, she has it stick out on the outside which can be a bad idea but she manages to make it look nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8obtWdDFTk

Yes I know it's youtube, but hell it's a good technique. She has alot of video's I'm sure many to most are on makeup and at the end of this one she finishes up the makeup, totally goes with less is more thinking and looks good. ;)

guys the funny faces are women making the eyeliner stick out past their eyelids. Sometimes it looks good, mostly it doesn't. Egyptians did the same thing way back when pyramids were new. It went out of style until it kinda shoved back into style care of Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and a few other women in music. Movies helped of course but let's just toss it on Madonna as her fault. :devil:

Last edited:
Egyptians did the same thing way back when pyramids were new. It went out of style until it kinda shoved back into style care of Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and a few other women in music. Movies helped of course but let's just toss it on Madonna as her fault. :devil:

It wasn't a good style when the Egyptians did it, it's no better now, I don't care who brought it back.

Lets talk lipstick. Typically, I go for Covergirl's Outlast lipstick or whatever it's equivalent is in the other brands.

I love the longevity of the color ( 6-10 hrs). I hate that it makes my lips feel dry. Yes, there's generally a moisturizing topcoat that comes with it, but my whole point in buying that type of product is so that I don't have to keep reapplying stuff in the first place.

Are there any products out there that match the longevity without turning my lips into parchment paper? :rolleyes::D

<snip> and I need to find a good foundation. I don't generally like wearing foundation; somehow I always feel like it makes my face look dirty - it's the covering of my freckles, I think. So, I need to find something rather translucent, very lightly covering, and affordable. :)

I use this and I'm very happy with it.

Please, PLEASE explain to all the young women out there why the raccoon look isn't sexy on anyone. Giving yourself black eyes isn't sultry, it makes you look like you gotten into a fight with a crayola box.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't do that. The way you like women's makeup isn't universal for everyone, sweetheart. Some men really do like dark smokey eye makeup, and even if you DON'T, the women who wear it do, and that's the most important thing.

We dress to please us first and foremost. Not others. :heart: I mean no offense when I say this.

Sometime this week I am going to go through your original thread and read about skin tone. I've never been much of a make-up wearer at all, but now as I, ahem, am getting a little older, I am feeling less and less satisfied with my skin tone. It's uneven (pink & reddish)...I think I need to ramp up my skin care routine, and I need to find a good foundation. I don't generally like wearing foundation; somehow I always feel like it makes my face look dirty - it's the covering of my freckles, I think. So, I need to find something rather translucent, very lightly covering, and affordable. :)

Thanks for starting this up again; I was thinking about contacting you anyway.

Do you have oily, normal, dry or combination skin?

Lets talk lipstick. Typically, I go for Covergirl's Outlast lipstick or whatever it's equivalent is in the other brands.

I love the longevity of the color ( 6-10 hrs). I hate that it makes my lips feel dry. Yes, there's generally a moisturizing topcoat that comes with it, but my whole point in buying that type of product is so that I don't have to keep reapplying stuff in the first place.

Are there any products out there that match the longevity without turning my lips into parchment paper? :rolleyes::D

Almost all long-wearing (two-plus hours) lip stain products are going to be drying regardless of brand, because the way they work is that they are applied in a medium that evaporates, leaving only pigment behind. I've tried MANY types and brands of long wearing lip products but I have not found one yet that isn't at least slightly drying.

Right now, until the cosmetic manufacturers find out how to stain the lips without drying them, we're SOL. :( I wish I could help you better with this, but the technology for non-drying TRULY long-wearing lip stain just isn't available yet.

Last edited:
Ummmmm.....the not-so-made-up kind of finish. :) Seriously, my goal is to look nice, natural, wearing as little make-up as possible.

Then I suggest using Mineral makeup!

ELF's line of mineral foundations have a super natural finish, work great on oily skin and is extremely inexpensive. It's actually the foundation I use, myself, because I have sensitive skin and rash/hive easily with most liquid and cream foundations. The minerals have an extremely buildable coverage that is almost indistinguishable from your own natural skin texture, will calm redness and uneven skintone without hiding your beautiful freckles. You can blend it with a brush over trouble spots and skip areas you want to leave bare. What's great about minerals is that they don't tend to oxidize the way other foundations do, staying true to color even after several hours of wear even in hot and humid conditions!

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/minerals/face/foundation

I also use the ELF studio line HD powder to set the minerals to a beautiful smooth finish.

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/face/powder/high_definition_powder

The powder is comparable to MAC's HD powder and MUCH less expensive!

:nana: :nana:

Yay!!! The Makeup Fairy hath returned! :rose::rose:

I can't wait to further lurker and stalk this thread and to learn something new.

(by the way, thank you for the link for ELF - I've been browsing it for a good hour. And now I have to tailor my wish list to something more manageable :eek::D)

Right now, until the cosmetic manufacturers find out how to stain the lips without drying them, we're SOL. :( I wish I could help you better with this, but the technology for non-drying TRULY long-wearing lip stain just isn't available yet.

Booo! I was afraid of that. *sighs* Ah well.

So I went back and reread the original thread and I'm interested in the elf primer you were talking about. Is online the only place to get it? I gather this isn't sold in the local drugstore (I don't recall seeing this line before).

So what do you know about nails? Mine are thin and brittle. I'd like to know if there's anything out there that will strengthen them. And riddle me this: I can get the nails on the middle, the ring and the pinkie fingers to grow out to a decent length but the nails on my index fingers and thumbs almost always break or develop a tear before I can gain much ground. Any thoughts?

Wow! I am very excited about the prices (amazing!) and that the fair looks like it will blend nicely with my pink tone. Thanks, SD!!

And, is it just me, or did we just have an infomercial moment together? :)

It was a total infomercial moment together, Jells. :D

:nana: :nana:

Yay!!! The Makeup Fairy hath returned! :rose::rose:

I can't wait to further lurker and stalk this thread and to learn something new.

(by the way, thank you for the link for ELF - I've been browsing it for a good hour. And now I have to tailor my wish list to something more manageable :eek::D)

Well, they're doing a deal right now where you can get free shipping on orders over 25 dollars, which is SUCH a good deal! :eek: I usually splurge and get a bunch of stuff during their free-shipping deals to save money.

Booo! I was afraid of that. *sighs* Ah well.

So I went back and reread the original thread and I'm interested in the elf primer you were talking about. Is online the only place to get it? I gather this isn't sold in the local drugstore (I don't recall seeing this line before).

So what do you know about nails? Mine are thin and brittle. I'd like to know if there's anything out there that will strengthen them. And riddle me this: I can get the nails on the middle, the ring and the pinkie fingers to grow out to a decent length but the nails on my index fingers and thumbs almost always break or develop a tear before I can gain much ground. Any thoughts?

Target sometimes sells ELF products but I don't know of any retail stores that have them otherwise, hon. :(

With nails, diet is so critical to their health. A lot of dieters will see their nails suffer because many people mistake a low-fat diet with a good diet, but not all fats are bad, and some are NECESSARY for body systems, proper nail strength being one of them.

A lot of people also mistakenly think eating jello and other items with gelatin in them will help with nail growth/strength, but that's an old wive's tail. Adding things like avocado, sesame seeds, almonds, and pistachios will add healthy fats and vitamins and minerals to your diet, which will in turn help nails grow out healthier and stronger.

Adequate fats to keep them flexible, and flexibility is the critical component you're missing, since your nails tend to split/break rather than snap off or just plain not grow at all! Brittle nails means you need more fats in your diet, so adding healthy fats and drinking more water will start the healthy growth cycle from the inside.

Another thing you can do to help the OUTSIDE of the nail is...Cuticle oil! Now, a lot of people will say silly things like cuticle oil "moisturizes" the nail, but that's a misnomer. Oils cannot moisturize, because oils contain no water, and ONLY WATER MOISTURIZES! What oils -can- do, however, is keep what moisture is in your nails from escaping, by creating a barrier that will hold water in the nail. So, using cuticle oil several times a day, daily, for several weeks, along with a diet more rich in healthy fats and nuts, and you should start to see a visible difference within 2-3 weeks.

In order to strengthen your nails NOW, I strongly suggest going to your local nail salon and getting a layer of gel or acrylic over your nails. This will make a chip-and-break-resistant layer of strong material over your natural nail that can add structural integrity to your brittle nails until stronger ones start growing in.

I recently received an anonymous message in my IM box.

Hi,

So recently my SO got carried away and left quite a few nasty looking hickeys on my neck on both sides no less..

Is there a way I can hide them discreetly?

A hickey is a bruise, essentially, and so because of this you can treat hickeys exactly like regular bruises.

There are a few ways to get rid of and hide hickeys. Arnica, used topically, can speed the healing process, as well as soothe soreness and reduce swelling. In the meantime, ice the area really well by placing a spoon in the freezer for an hour or two and then holding it over the hickey until the spoon warms to body temperature. Once the area has been cooled and the swelling temporarily reduced, you can cover it up with cosmetics.

Normally I'd recommend using something that is specifically formulated for covering up things like severe skin problems, tattoos, and suchlike, but most people do not have these on hand, so I'm going to teach you guys how to cover more severe skin issues using products you probably already have!

Things you will need:

Two ply tissue, separated into one-ply sheets.
Foundation that matches your skin tone
Concealer, the more heavily pigmented the better
Powder
Powder brush
Powder puff
A dry (not moist!) Cosmetic sponge

Step one: Make sure the area has been cleansed and chilled. Moisturize the skin and allow it to soak in, tap off the excess with a single ply of tissue.

Tap some foundation out onto the back of your hand and allow it to sit and dry for about thirty seconds. Now apply the DRY sponge to the makeup to pick up a small amount.

POINT: Apply the foundation in a "Stippling" motion, instead of wiping. The "patting" action will apply a thicker layer of foundation in a tighter, more uniform pattern.

Allow the foundation to dry completely. Apply a second coat, as needed. Make sure you blend the foundation into the surrounding area to make sure there's no "spot" of heavily made-up skin in the middle of a field of bare skin. Bruises often are heavily pigmented with red and purple tones, and can really look out of place if you don't cover the neck skin around it properly, too.

Now, using your finger, layer a thin coat of concealer over the hickey on any areas not fully covered.

POINT:
Apply the concealer also in a "patting" or "Stippling" motion for extra coverage and to avoid disturbing the texture of the foundation beneath.

Allow the concealer to set for a minute or two.

Now, apply some powder to your powder puff.

POINT: Use the same "Stippling" Technique to apply the powder, carefully -pressing- the powder into the cosmetics. This will set the foundation and concealer for longer wear. Brush off any access very carefully with powder brush.

A colorful scarf is a wonderful way to be stylish and also cover up these "accidents", as well. :D

Last edited:

Yeah. See this is what happens when I try to put on eyeliner. I've tried blueish and bronze-ish to see if one looked better with my light skin, but the end result always looks clumsy. So I generally don't do eyeliner unless Alice Cooper is in town and I've got tickets. And in that case, it's more of a demented spider look than a raccoon.

Last edited:
I've found the best approach to eyeliner is the KISS method. namely Keep It Simple Stupid. Not that I'm suggesting you are, but there is a second side to it. Less is more. Unless you are going on TV or some other form of being recorded that is not sexual in nature, well maybe then as well, you want to keep it to a minimum.

Little mascara, rouge, and lip gloss is all you need for most things. I did a search and well found a video of a woman applying eyeliner, she has it stick out on the outside which can be a bad idea but she manages to make it look nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8obtWdDFTk

Yes I know it's youtube, but hell it's a good technique. She has alot of video's I'm sure many to most are on makeup and at the end of this one she finishes up the makeup, totally goes with less is more thinking and looks good. ;)

guys the funny faces are women making the eyeliner stick out past their eyelids. Sometimes it looks good, mostly it doesn't. Egyptians did the same thing way back when pyramids were new. It went out of style until it kinda shoved back into style care of Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and a few other women in music. Movies helped of course but let's just toss it on Madonna as her fault. :devil:

The video looks helpful. There are some things I could definitely try there that I haven't.

Yeah. See this is what happens when I try to put on eyeliner. I've tried blueish and bronze-ish to see if one looked better with my light skin, but the end result always looks clumsy. So I generally don't do eyeliner unless Alice Cooper is in town and I've got tickets. And in that case, it's more of a demented spider look than a raccoon.

Have you thought about keeping eyeliner just in a thin line on your top lid only? There's no beauty "rule" that says you have to have eyeliner on thick or on both top and bottom lid, and you can use a nice normal, neutral brown or brown-black to emphasize your lashes without looking unnatural. :)

Tightlining is a REALLY good way to make your lashes look great without making yourself look like you obviously have eyeliner on. Have you tried tightlining before?

My skin is sensitive and seems to be getting drier and drier:(

(I did just turn 41 in Jan, but I do have very good skin...my profile pic is me, but I am blushing that is why I am so pink)

I use Estee Lauder soft clean moisture rich foaming facial cleanser every day for Dry Skin.

I sometimes use EL DayWear advanced multi Protection anti-oxidant cream spf 15 and sometimes use my EL advanced night repair by EL...love that stuff but it is so expensive!

Once every month or every other month I use Olays' Microdermabrasion treatment and I can tell a difference when I do.

I know I started up my soda habit again and I need to stop that and drink more water like I was and sleep better, working on both.

As far as makeup, I wear a light foundation with SPF...I am very pale with freckles and rosy cheeks. The only other makeup I wear would be chapstick or gloss or stick depending on where I am going....light eyeliner, mascara and that is it.

I think because my skin is getting older...it might not be "turning over" for lack of a better word like younger skin does....but I have dry, sensitive skin...so I have to be careful what I use that I do not irritate it or dry it out more....

Any advice?

Thanks! :rose::rose::rose:

Back