Last chance to read my stories

I am a drama queen or at least I seek ego validation. I want my literary babies to be loved.

There are a lot of us here ;)
I know there are those who can crank out 20 stories a month; but I spend weeks working one, and wouldn't work that hard if there wasn't some kind of reward at the end.
 
Last edited:
Hey I like your Signature! LOL! Good sense of humor there.

I'm going to have to watch Story ideas closely for a December winner.

Yeah. Second Circle stripped me (GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER!) of my Post of the Year Award within minutes.
 
I agree with Ladyer and redhot, don't give up keep working at it, I would love to write but can't seem to get going w pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. If nothing else you had the courage to put yourself out there with your work
 
I think it would be a shame if you left, but if it's not a pleasurable experience for you, and that's your main objective in posting, then the rational choice is to leave.

(Several wise people gave me some good advice. If you post publicly about being upset by your scores, you will absolutely see your scores go down.)

Before you take anything else down, maybe take a break and come back right after the Valentine's contest closes. Sweeps clean out old stories too, in my experience, and you'll have a better feel for where your scores are.
 
Opinions are like ...

;)... well we know what.

I always recall what a smart woman told me once, "We need to care about what reasonable people think of us."

I've read Lit for quite a while and clearly many posts and votes are not of the "reasonable" type. It's not too hard to know which. All you have to do is remember that only the reasonable (whether they like you or not) opinions need to be weighed.

I almost always vote on the stories I read, now that the Android app lets you vote. I will also go online like now to post from time to time if I think I have something worthwhile to say. Sometimes I post critically and I do my best to say something that would be useful, when I do.

Not to be too critical here, I have to say that if the process is that distasteful to you, publishing anywhere is going to be rough. Everyone gets reviewed in one way or another.
 
9 out of 18 were deleted.
One new one was added because it came back from the editor after the whole Kerfuffle and deserved a chance.

My Holiday contest story that didn't get done in time is becoming a Valentine's story assuming it works out and I find an editor.

I plan to post the last of my three stories examining performer attitudes to sexuality contrasted with audience attitudes.

For "Simulated Sex", actors always say sex scenes are just acting, it's awkward even kissing, and nudity means nothing. This story turns that trope on its head. It's only real when it's on stage, and it's acting in the bedroom.

"The Show Must Go On" explores nudity and sexuality portrayed on stage including instances of reluctance and ambiguous or not stated consent. Nudity is only skin deep. An actor must reveal her soul.

"Video Diary" (tentative title) is about a woman who is advised to find a way to get paid for doing what she loves. Well, she loves reading, board games, and masturbating. She doesn't find a way to get paid for the first two.

I will try reading your stories that are still up and, hopefully, I will be while reading them. :)

As for comments and scores, I recently posted my first attempted at writing in 30 years and the score shows (mid 3's) but what really got me was a deleted comment that it was clear that English was not my first language and that I was an Arab. I figured it was better to just deleted the idiot than to respond.


I'll continue to write and post as long as I get some positive and/or constructive criticism.

I wish you the best no matter what you finally decide to do.
 
A_Little_Show seems to have found a sure way to get stories read. We're entering four weeks of a long good-bye, including the posting of two stories since that last forlorn wave. :D
 
What I don't get is she posts that she doesn't read any stories herself that are lower than a 4.5 rating. Why would you let others make the decision for you what you would enjoy reading or not?

In the short time I've been here, the majority of stories I've read have been great - I enjoyed them. I never once have used the rating to determine if I should read it or not. Make your own decision, not let the masses make it for you.
 
What I don't get is she posts that she doesn't read any stories herself that are lower than a 4.5 rating. Why would you let others make the decision for you what you would enjoy reading or not?

In the short time I've been here, the majority of stories I've read have been great - I enjoyed them. I never once have used the rating to determine if I should read it or not. Make your own decision, not let the masses make it for you.

I don't either. The story name and the tag line is what draws me to a story half the time I don;t look at the author name until I'm done and I only look at the score out of curiosity after I vote. I have read many good ones that are well below the H line
 
Well here's to some good marketing "Little show"!

Got yourself a lot of traffic.

Well done.
 
Are my techniques for finding stories that different from yours? How do the rest of you select stories to read at a site with hundreds of thousands of stories?

When I read stories on the site, which I haven't done much of for a while unfortunately, I just look at the new list and look at the ones in the categories I like, and occasionally go into other categories if I'm intrigued by the title or description. I pretty much never search for stories; I did a few times when I first found the site but I just don't much time now.
 
Last edited:
As varied as the category trends are and as easy as it is to play games with ratings for various reasons that have nothing to do with story content, you may be setting your sights too high in thinking that a 4.5 rating and above will sweep in everything worth reading (even the definitions of the rating system suggests good stories go lower than that in rating), but if you're finding enough worthwhile stories that way, it's as good a method as any.

I don't read many stories here, so I don't really have a method for tracking them down. I sometimes read stories that authors request a read on the Feedback board and I sometimes read contest entries. Other than that, it likely would be a title and blurb that caught my attention more than ratings. I'd be looking for something different from the norm.
 
I don't have anything of substance to add to this thread, but these two parts really struck a chord.


Writing erotica is a very exhibitionist and revealing hobby. We are all opening our trench coats for a crowd.
I've never heard it put quite this way, and I couldn't agree more. Thats's an awesome way to put it.

I'm surprised other authors with less than stellar scores aren't demoralized. A low score means "your sexuality isn't very attractive, and you should feel bad"
Discounting stupid trolls, my stories with low scores, low views, and bad comments do bug me. I have a fairly thick skin, and I can brush off the stupidness, but the legit poor reception is depressing.

</pity party>
 
Recently, I haven't actively looked for specific stories to scratch fap itches. To be honest, most of my recent Lit reading came from a fellow author favoriting my stuff. Oh, and I gave A_Little_Show's works a look. Good stuff, what I've read so far.

When selecting stories to read, I'm looking more at the description in conjunction with the category. As a Lit author, by now I know full well how misleading votes can be. Some of my favourites hover around the 3.x mark, but I found them fun to read and much more interesting than some high-rated 4's I've read. But then, my tastes are a little queer, I'm more into interesting scene setups than gratuitous descriptions of the act itself. My mind is quite capable of filling in the blanks, even if not every leg bend is precisely measured or every sigh captioned in full. Maybe a side benefit of my visual impairment.
 
Back
Top