At the beach

limeyg

Really Really Experienced
-----------------

Please delete this thread please, this is a request from the original poster.
Thanks Geoff

Last edited:
Wow, that's a really beautiful painting! I love it. The girl look good, too, and very realistic. Did you get a friend to pose for you? ;)

What do you think it is?

I think it is at least partially digital with a digital canvas texture.

The background a photograph and likely the woman as another photo composited onto the beach.

That is not to say, one cannot "collage" digitally (or manually) and even "paint" digitally. I have done that myself, but I would not call it a "painting".
Fer instance...
Google: clouds, beach, woman...
attachment.php

alter the color (which I would guess happens after picking a new woman). I did not try to emulate the "painting", only as an example.
attachment.php

(omitted the clipping path of new woman. plop over the original bikini woman, and clones some blobs of sand at her butt and feet)
click on Texturizure..and you have a "painting"
attachment.php

attachment.php

duplicate beach to extend...
attachment.php

Do the clouds look familiar?

There are other tricks (filters) like "brush strokes" etc...

Anyway... just a thought.

Last edited:
I think it is at least partially digital with a digital canvas texture.

The background a photograph and likely the woman as another photo composited onto the beach.

That is not to say, one cannot "collage" digitally (or manually) and even "paint" digitally. I have done that myself, but I would not call it a "painting".
Fer instance...
Google: clouds, beach, woman...
attachment.php

alter the color (which I would guess happens after picking a new woman). I did not try to emulate the "painting", only as an example.
attachment.php

(omitted the clipping path of new woman. plop over the original bikini woman, and clones some blobs of sand at her butt and feet)
click on Texturizure..and you have a "painting"
attachment.php

attachment.php

duplicate beach to extend...
attachment.php

Do the clouds look familiar?

There are other tricks (filters) like "brush strokes" etc...

Anyway... just a thought.

I knew it didn't look quite right but couldn't figure out the technical terms.
Thank you for explaining it and for posting examples ;)

I'm just a simple artist who still uses paint brushes with actual paint. :eek:

Oh Yes!

Is a combination of photos, because the illumination of the girl is not natural.

All in all, it is a pleasant image to look at. Some creativity was employed to assemble/alter it.

My issue is the misleading nature of calling it a "painting".

Not even quite a "digital painting".

Which (being cynical) makes me wonder if there is not some "ploy" to entice women to want to be "painted".

"Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your french girls... "

You think that I don't know the appeal of the romantic notion of the artist/model?

Please delete this thread please, this is a request from the original poster.
Thanks Geoff

Seriously, just call what you do, what it is.
I'll be glad to remove my commentary.

If you created digital collages/assemblages which you manipulate ina paint program, cool. Just do not pass them off as "paintings".

As they are not painted from the photos and certainly not from life or imagination.

All I ask is for my threads to be removed, all my paintings are done one brush stroke at a time, I certainly do not manipulate anything, Heck I could do that in about an hour instead of the couple of weeks it takes me to do my work.
Anyway I realize that this artistic area is not for me, I will stick with my art forums.
So if someone could erase my posts I would be most grateful.

All I ask is for my threads to be removed, all my paintings are done one brush stroke at a time, I certainly do not manipulate anything, Heck I could do that in about an hour instead of the couple of weeks it takes me to do my work.
Anyway I realize that this artistic area is not for me, I will stick with my art forums.

So, you are saying that all your paintings are done with paint?
or that all your paintings are "painted" with digital paint? by looking at reference photos?
or...?
what are you saying?

Because your Beach "painting" is a composite of two photographs. You certainly could have been looking at those as reference.

Please describe your process.

You said earlier:
Well to put all of you out of your misery, I digital paint using Artrage, first I sketch and then paint from there. Most of my work takes a couple of weeks to complete. .....

How long it takes has little to do with anything.
My question is: how?
You obviously used the photo I found (above) along with another photo of the young woman. So, what is the weeks long process? Seriously?

Last edited:
It depends on the subject matter as to how I proceed, I often do portraits for people that I know and in cases like that I will work from a series of photos as likeness is the most important thing. I will sketch ref these photos.
If it is imaginary work then no one worries about likeness so I just sketch from what's in my head.
The art program I use is not a photo manipulating software and is similar to normal painting, pick your canvas size and texture. Then pick a pencil and start sketching.
I do have the advantage of using layers so I can keep my sketch on one layer and then paint on other layers. The nice thing about that is that by using different layers if one skews up you can erase a layer without disturbing other sections of ones painting. Most of my paintings are a good size.

BTW I don't see much artwork in a big duck and a bridge fuzzed up with a manipulating program.:):)

It depends on the subject matter as to how I proceed, I often do portraits for people that I know and in cases like that I will work from a series of photos as likeness is the most important thing. I will sketch ref these photos.
If it is imaginary work then no one worries about likeness so I just sketch from what's in my head.
The art program I use is not a photo manipulating software and is similar to normal painting, pick your canvas size and texture. Then pick a pencil and start sketching.
I do have the advantage of using layers so I can keep my sketch on one layer and then paint on other layers. The nice thing about that is that by using different layers if one skews up you can erase a layer without disturbing other sections of ones painting. Most of my paintings are a good size.

BTW I don't see much artwork in a big duck and a bridge fuzzed up with a manipulating program.:):)

Didn't claim "artwork". claimed "duck". (it was "manipulated" as you say, in photoshop, which can just as easily be used as a "paint" program.) ..and I can make it last weeks.:D

so........ for your Beach (and your On the Rocks?),
you had a print out of the reference material?
Those two women are people you know? (cool!)

Or do you call those two pieces "imaginary work"?

The canvas texture was not "painted", that is just a filter (a "manipulation") to make the end result appear more paint-like.

Last edited:

If all your paintings are done one brush stroke at a time and it consumes weeks of effort, definitely you must have your progress saved somewhere. Just open those saved files where you left them midway using Artrage (or any other software that you use) .. save them as Jpeg or take a snapshot of your screen .. and slam it right on the face of NON-BELIEVERS!!

Enough been said .. let the Truth prevail.

PS: If you don't have saved files for any reason .. U are supposed to have the final finished files. Just open them .. take screenshots of various layers separately .. line art layer .. then paint layer .. etc. etc. .... Just make everyone speechless.

Last edited:
Didn't claim "artwork". claimed "duck". (it was "manipulated" as you say, in photoshop, which can just as easily be used as a "paint" program.) ..and I can make it last weeks.:D

Ahem .. You might have called it a "duck" .. but u actually claimed "fowl" ..

;)

Ahem .. You might have called it a "duck" .. but u actually claimed "fowl" ..

;)

yep. I did and do. I cry "foul".

I question the process on two specific images, which were posted.
And the "labeling" of these images.

A "painting" which is not made with physical paints, in my opinion, should be called something else. In this case, at least modified to be a "digital painting". If the process warrants it, then; a "digital collage/manipulation"...or something.

I am not saying that limeyg is unable to paint, even digitally. Which *is* a different sort of "duck". If one can paint with conventional paints, I believe that one can transition to digital, but not as easily the reverse. Traditional paints do not allow for the same potential for speed, undoing, saving of "states", global changes of color, traditional paint requires cleaning of brushes for drastic hue changes, drying time for some techniques... As great as the programming is (freaking amazing really) it is not "the same". I admit that is some ways digital is better. I use both, separately and together.

I also am of the opinion (just that, an opinion) that if one reproduces a photo in paint (digital or otherwise), it is only an "exercise" in technique and holds very little "artistic value". (to me). It is a "why bother?" situation. (This includes a situation where 2 photos are combined to no net "gain"... for example; swapping one model for another).

Last edited:
If all your paintings are done one brush stroke at a time and it consumes weeks of effort, definitely you must have your progress saved somewhere. Just open those saved files where you left them midway using Artrage (or any other software that you use) .. save them as Jpeg or take a snapshot of your screen .. and slam it right on the face of NON-BELIEVERS!!

Enough been said .. let the Truth prevail.

PS: If you don't have saved files for any reason .. U are supposed to have the final finished files. Just open them .. take screenshots of various layers separately .. line art layer .. then paint layer .. etc. etc. .... Just make everyone speechless.

Sorry... as everyone might guess, I will not be made "speechless" :rolleyes: :D
But I will be pleased to have my curiosity satisfied.

Well some of you have shown an interest in how we digital painters work.
Here is a screen shot of a new work that i have started, it is a portrait of a Filipino girl that I know.
I must stress that this is at a very early stage with some basic colours blocked in on the face. The darker tones are due to her nationality. Once this stage is finished then the palette knife is used to blend in these colours and I will move on to eyes and mouth that will be done on separate layers.
Looking at the screen shot in the lower left hand corner you will see the tools that i use which at this time of the shot was an oil brush, so also on the screen you will see adj panels where things like thinners, brush pressure and opacity etc can be adjusted.
Hope this gives you some idea of how we work .

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 38
Well some of you have shown an interest in how we digital painters work.
Here is a screen shot of a new work that i have started, it is a portrait of a Filipino girl that I know.
I must stress that this is at a very early stage with some basic colours blocked in on the face. The darker tones are due to her nationality. Once this stage is finished then the palette knife is used to blend in these colours and I will move on to eyes and mouth that will be done on separate layers.
Looking at the screen shot in the lower left hand corner you will see the tools that i use which at this time of the shot was an oil brush, so also on the screen you will see adj panels where things like thinners, brush pressure and opacity etc can be adjusted.
Hope this gives you some idea of how we work .
Thanks!

I am still curious about the two digital paintings that you had originally posted.

I work in conventional and digital mediums.

And I understand the use of layers; one can have photographic reference, and/or sketches in a layer(s) below (or above, or moved) the "paint" layer(s)...and those reference layers can "painted" over (effective traced) and be hidden or turned off...or left and mostly obscured.

It may seem that I am harping on this issue, but it is an important distinction about process.:)

In my software my ref image if I am using one is brought up in a sep window at the side of my main painting area. It gives me the benefit of being able to zoom in on the ref image to work on close detail.

Back