What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UD's not going to like this, from the HO cheerleading WaPo of all places:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/25/AR2010062504680.html?hpid=topnews

"The economic recovery that began a year ago increasingly appears to be on shaky footing, driving financial markets downward and clouding the debate over economic policy.

Just two months ago, a strong, self-sustaining economic expansion seemed to be taking hold, with consumer spending, output of goods and services, corporate hiring and financial markets all on the rise. The latest string of economic data, however, has thrown cold water on that view. On Friday, the Commerce Department revised down its estimate of first-quarter gross domestic product growth to 2.7 percent from the estimated 3 percent. "

Cue elections in 5...4...3...

Yeah, going from an economy that was contracting at a rate of 6% to one that's growing at 3% just isn't good enough. :rolleyes:

Yeah, going from an economy that was contracting at a rate of 6% to one that's growing at 3% just isn't good enough. :rolleyes:

I thought you were all about the trend. What was the growth rate for the quarter before the 2.7% growth one, hmmm?

How many years until BHO has an unemployment figure that's lower than the highest of any of the eight years Bush II was in office?

I thought you were all about the trend. What was the growth rate for the quarter before the 2.7% growth one, hmmm?

How many years until BHO has an unemployment figure that's lower than the highest of any of the eight years Bush II was in office?

The trend is still upward Firespun, and 3% growth isn't anything to sneeze at. After all, in 2006 and 2007 when the Repubs were cheering the best economy ever growth was average of 2.53 - 3%.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/GDP-Growth.aspx?Symbol=USD

"It's not fast enough!"
"The government is doing too much!"
"The government isn't doing enough!"

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The trend is still upward Firespun, and 3% growth isn't anything to sneeze at. After all, in 2007 when the Repubs were cheering the best economy ever growth was average of 2.53%.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/GDP-Growth.aspx?Symbol=USD

"It's not fast enough!"
"The government is doing too much!"
"The government isn't doing enough!"

So 5.6% to 2.7% (not 3%) is an upward trend? Do you really believe this stuff, in which case we would have some pity, or do you just lie about it?

Nice unresponsive rant though. Some of your finest work.

And I am not really sarcastic, your other work usually sucks.

The boom and bust Federal Reserve controlled economy is just in it's usual cycle.

For those attempting to simplify and cast blame, look around the world.

The Global Economy has been plateued since ~yr2000.

But why waste a good downturn when it can be used as political fodder, right?

attachment.php

Attachments

• untitled (Small).JPG
    untitled (Small).JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 88
So 5.6% to 2.7% (not 3%) is an upward trend? Do you really believe this stuff, in which case we would have some pity, or do you just lie about it?

Nice unresponsive rant though. Some of your finest work.

And I am not really sarcastic, your other work usually sucks.

You're thinking short term.. You can't really determine a trend based on two data points genius.

We began this mess with growth at -6%... Flash forward to today revised to just under +3% (which oddly enough was phenomenal when the shoe was on the "right" foot).

But if you want to stick to short term trends then go back just one quarter farther when growth was just over 2%, spiked to over 5 last quarter then settled back to 3%..

It still a general upward trend.

You're trying MUCH too hard Firespun.

You're thinking short term.. You can't really determine a trend based on two data points genius.

We began this mess with growth at -6%... Flash forward to today revised to just under +3% (which oddly enough was phenomenal when the shoe was on the "right" foot).

But if you want to stick to short term trends then go back just one quarter farther when growth was just over 2%, spiked to over 5 last quarter then settled back to 3%..

It still a general upward trend.

You're trying MUCH too hard Firespun.

The rise from the extremely sucky first half of Obama's first year in 2009 is history now. We're certainly not going to see growth at 5.6%, and 2.7% next quarter isn't a given, either. Read the papers much? You might want to prepare your speech next quarter for how three quarters doesn't make a trend. "1% is still growth!" *holds breath and turns blue*

Check the growth rate at the end of 2007, which you love to crow about as the start of the recession...looks not so different from now, doesn't it?

So 5.6% to 2.7% (not 3%) is an upward trend?

Ahh, but it really depends on where you decide to start, now don't it?

I'll be optimistic instead of pessimistic and choose to start from that biiiiiiiig dip in January of last year. You know, when the world was coming to an end, thanks to the Great Satan Obama.

oh looky there! A nice, (semi)colorful chart/graph/stat/diagram! :heart:

United-States-GDP-Growth-Rate-Chart-000002.png

Wow. What a climb! Now that's some real trending fo' yo' azz, baby! :D

...and the world hasn't come to an end! ZOMG :eek::eek::eek:

Wow. What a climb! Now that's some real trending fo' yo' azz, baby! :D

You forgot the picture of the guy clapping. I love that one!

But yeah, trends that are over are pretty much over. Or can I interest you in a myspace account?

You forgot the picture of the guy clapping. I love that one!

But yeah, trends that are over are pretty much over. Or can I interest you in a myspace account?

Oh, come now, Firespin. I can't clap myself, you silly goose! ;)

That would be horribly snobbish of me, don't you thunk? If there's one thing that's worse than being a liberal that's right, it's an elitist liberal who's right! :D

Oh, come now, Firespin. I can't clap myself, you silly goose! ;)

That would be horribly snobbish of me, don't you thunk? If there's one thing that's worse than being a liberal that's right, it's an elitist liberal who's right! :D

*shivers*

Good point.

But don't scare people with visions of things that don't exist!

The rise from the extremely sucky first half of Obama's first year in 2009 is history now. We're certainly not going to see growth at 5.6%, and 2.7% next quarter isn't a given, either. Read the papers much? You might want to prepare your speech next quarter for how three quarters doesn't make a trend. "1% is still growth!" *holds breath and turns blue*

Check the growth rate at the end of 2007, which you love to crow about as the start of the recession...looks not so different from now, doesn't it?

Still trying MUCH too hard there Firespun.

The growth rate in 2007 was the beginning of the downward spiral that cratered in the first months of 2009. The fact that we're back to a similar rate of growth climbing out of that hole is no surprise to anyone.

Well, except maybe you.

Still trying MUCH too hard there Firespun.

The growth rate in 2007 was the beginning of the downward spiral that cratered in the first months of 2009. The fact that we're back to a similar rate of growth climbing out of that hole is no surprise to anyone.

Well, except maybe you.

Now who's trying too hard?

You're recycling your speech from six months ago, when we were climbing out of hole.

Now we're sliding sideways, and your braggadocio won't really influence the direction the economy is going in the next little bit here. This may not be the time for puffery, at least until we see some sustained growth outside of areas that were goosed by the feds, via incentives, census jobs, etc.

It's our "lost decade".

Except it has extended worldwide...well, maybe except China.

We had one of those in the late 1960s and the 1970's.

The good news is the plateau sets the stage for the next growth phase, eventually.

Maybe after a Republican gets elected, like in 1980 :)

We had one of those in the late 1960s and the 1970's.

The good news is the plateau sets the stage for the next growth phase, eventually.

Maybe after a Republican gets elected, like in 1980 :)

Well, a good old war is always a boost for biz.

Looks like the stage is set.

Looks like U_D is finally growing comfortable with my contention that Obama intends to manage a failed nation and that stagnation is the new norm.

Hey, growth is growth! Dude, that's all he wants, to make sure HIS job and HIS 401K manage to chug along as is.

So, let's give Obama his props, he managed to "grow" the economy.

Soon, he'll be growing the money supply and then we'll all have MORE money to spend.

Gee firespin you big dummy! Why the hell do you keep praying for failure!!!

;) ;)
The US economy for a long period of time was the engine of world economic growth. We were sucking in imports from all across the world financed by huge amounts of consumer debt. Because of the financial crisis, but also because that debt was fundamentally unsustainable, the United States is not going to be able to serve in that same capacity to that same extent.
Barack Hussein Obama

The repubs didn't have anything to offer on health care and still don't.

They couldn't care less about it.

Then how come when it passed and America got pissed your party jumped and and began screaming...

"THESE WERE JUST THE IDEAS OF THE RIGHT-WING, FROM HERITAGE!
"HOW DARE THEY COMPLAIN!!!

That's nice, but WE won!

Don't tell US how to hold the mop!

You had your chance, now get out of the way!

;) ;)
"The disconnect between what Obama says and what he's doing is so glaring that most people could not abide it....* reconciling blatantly contradictory objectives requires them to engage in willful self-deception, public dishonesty, or both. The campaign to pass Obama's health-care plan has assumed a false... cloak of moral superiority. The pretense of moral superiority dissolves before all the expedient deceptions used to sell the health-care agenda. "
Robert J. Samuelson
Economist and long-time pundit for the WaPo and Newsweek

It's just fun to watch UD, the self-styled principled liberal, bend circumstances to fit whatever narrative he wishes was true. "The trend is up!" even if the trend is, well, down.

The Unengaged Pres__ent

Last line:

It’s hard to fight a war without war aims, and in the end they can come only from the top. It took the oil spill to alert Americans to the unengaged president. From Moscow to Tehran to the caves of Waziristan, our enemies got the message a lot earlier — and long ago figured out the rules of unengagement.

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NDE0YzEyYTI1ZWQwMTg5OTk0ZTYyOGRiYmZkNmYzYTE=
In a characteristic display of his now famous modesty, President Obama reacted to the hostility of the Tax Day tea parties by saying, “You would think they should be saying ‘thank you’” — for all he’s done for them. Right now, the fellows saying “thank you” are the mullahs, the Politburo, Tsar Putin, and others hostile to U.S. interests who’ve figured out they now have the run of the planet.
Mark Steyn

Last edited:
It's just fun to watch UD, the self-styled principled liberal, bend circumstances to fit whatever narrative he wishes was true. "The trend is up!" even if the trend is, well, down.

Says the person who wants to determine what the trend is while ignoring the "past".. How you can determine a trend based on two data points while ignoring those before as inconsequential because they're the "past". :rolleyes:

Trend.
"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Tell us Cap'n Mathematician, how accurate do you suppose a "trend" is using only the two most recent data points and ignoring all previous data?

I have not read the Bill, but I "know" what's in it...

Note how terribly jack-in-the-box he looked yesterday as he popped off praising the Dodd/Frank bill which cleared the Congress at 05:00 with the pronouncement that NOW we will be able to find out what's in the 2000 pages and all the "protections" and "regulations" that were going to clean up the act of the Wall Street people who provided the expertise needed to create such regulations...

Sounds like Health care!

Sounds like MMS!

Déjà vu!

(All over again!)

Says the person who wants to determine what the trend is while ignoring the "past".. How you can determine a trend based on two data points while ignoring those before as inconsequential because they're the "past". :rolleyes:

Trend.
"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Tell us Cap'n Mathematician, how accurate do you suppose a "trend" is using only the two most recent data points and ignoring all previous data?

I hate to break it to you, but these data points are not instantaneous samples of a noisy data series (e.g. daily high-low temperature), where time-series smoothing is the only way to spot a trend.

These are aggregate figures compiled from a very large number of underlying data series. There are only four such numbers each year.

And, to help you with the whole "objective" thing...if somebody here equally clueless on the right, jeninflorida for example, was trying to make the case that a change from 5%+ to 2.7% was an upward trend, would you be nodding in agreement at her sage insight?

Looks like U_D is finally growing comfortable with my contention that Obama intends to manage a failed nation and that stagnation is the new norm.

Hey, growth is growth! Dude, that's all he wants, to make sure HIS job and HIS 401K manage to chug along as is.

So, let's give Obama his props, he managed to "grow" the economy.

Soon, he'll be growing the money supply and then we'll all have MORE money to spend.

Like "treading water" you don't seem to use the same definition of "stagnation" as the rest of the planet.

In the past year the DOW has gone from roughly 8,000 to roughly 10,000 and the overall economy managed to go from -6% to +3% growth.

How much of a percentage increase is it to go from 8000 to 10000 in one year? More than that if you go back just two months more.

But according to the Firespun Law of Trends any previous data that disagrees with your position is ignored as irrelevant because it's "in the past". So the economy has contracted by 2% If you ONLY look at the last two quarters and ignore the previous growth.

Nobama!
Nobama!
Nobama!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back