What are some good conversation starters with her?

What are some good conversation starters to say to a girl working at the cash counter of a store to hit on her? You know when I’m paying for something I’m buying? Especially when she already likes or is into me.

If you haven't had a conversation, do you know she's into you? Service staff are expected to smile and act friendly with customers, regardless of how they really feel.

Hitting on a woman who's working can put her in an awkward situation. My general advice would be "don't", but if you're going to do it: (a) wait until she's not busy with other stuff, and (b) do it in a way that doesn't require her to give you an answer.

Something like this: "Hi, I'd really like to get to know you better. If you're interested in catching up outside work some time, here's my number." And then leave, and let her decide whether she wants to follow that up.

That way, if she's interested she can call you, but if she's not interested she doesn't have to figure out a polite way to handle it that won't get her in trouble for bad customer service.

simple things to catch her attention. For instance when she gives you your receipt look at her face and tell her that she has really pretty eyes. Then smile and leave. Work it in steps...

Make jokes with her, get her to notice you by smiilig at her. Give yourself a time frame of when you're going to start flirting with her, and leave it be.

You could always leave something at the store and call back and ask to speak to her...

Practice what to say to her before you go....

Bramblehorn is correct, it’s her job to be nice so don’t put her in an awkward position.

Be nice, be polite, be clean, be groomed and be a regular. IF she’s interested, and available, let her make the first move.

Get her to notice you like LanguageOfLove said and remember we almost always find what we’re looking for when we’re not actually looking for it.

If you haven't had a conversation, do you know she's into you? Service staff are expected to smile and act friendly with customers, regardless of how they really feel.

Hitting on a woman who's working can put her in an awkward situation. My general advice would be "don't", but if you're going to do it: (a) wait until she's not busy with other stuff, and (b) do it in a way that doesn't require her to give you an answer.

Something like this: "Hi, I'd really like to get to know you better. If you're interested in catching up outside work some time, here's my number." And then leave, and let her decide whether she wants to follow that up.

That way, if she's interested she can call you, but if she's not interested she doesn't have to figure out a polite way to handle it that won't get her in trouble for bad customer service.

yeah but she gets pretty happy only when she sees me walking in and smiling at her compared to other customers. Plus i barely just buy a chocolate bar

Guess that didn't work.
How about "hi, would you like to hold my dick?"

i din try that out yet i just read all these replies but im not looking for something that says "your the only one for me" something a little less intense...and be serious please

Last edited:
Make jokes with her, get her to notice you by smiilig at her. Give yourself a time frame of when you're going to start flirting with her, and leave it be.

You could always leave something at the store and call back and ask to speak to her...

Practice what to say to her before you go....

thats the thing i do smile at her and her face lightens up/gets happy. Actually the moment i walk into the store i catch her's and another colleague of hers eyes compared to other customers. so like what jokes can i make? any suggestions?

Last edited:
She was hired for that job specifically because she is at least passably good at being friendly. That doesn't mean she's not into you but it doesn't mean she's into you either.

She is a captive audience. That being the case, you need to tread very lightly on hitting on her.

Your best bet for building interest is to tease her in a friendly way. Pretend she's a dude that you're friendly with and talk to her exactly like that. If you couldn't say what you're thinking of saying to a dude don't say it, because she doesn't have the option of walking away.

Be you, be genuine.

It's okay to say something that's casually friendly such as "I'm always glad when your line is the short line." Which implies that you would have gone to a different line if it was shorter because you're totally not stalking her. Even though I'm sure she's aware you are.

If it's a really small place and she's basically the only cashier that I would go with something more like "I'm always glad when you're working the register because the other ones seem to notice when I try to shoplift!"

You could go for something whimsical like, "I really like the way you always put the labels sunny side up!" or, "I like that tune you are playing with the scanner. I love techno!"

Maybe an interesting t-shirt or a hat might be a decent angle to give <her> the option of starting a conversation by commenting about something about you. That something has to be somewhat interesting. Don't try to guess or find out something that she's interested in such as a favorite band or something like that; make it something that you are genuinely interested in that you genuinely are pleased with.

I have a couple of bolo ties in sterling silver.

One of them I don't think it's as interesting looking but I inherited it from my father who, in turn inherited it from his favorite Uncle. Chet used to wear square dancing with my great-aunt Beverly.

It's a good, not-about-her, or about-myself story in a sentence or two.

The problem is nobody ever asks me about the genuine heirloom. I get a lot of compliments on the other one that I bought for $70 at a Salvation Army, of all places. That's a decent story, too (They have jewelers advise them, but this one had languished in a case till the silver value exceeded the price) but not as good as the one I'd rather tell.

If I was clever, I'd fudge the Chet and Beverly story over to the Salvation Army Bolo. I don't though, because genuine comes through better.

If you don't already do this, practice talking to strangers in general. Couples and men. Just so that when you're talking to a girl it doesn't come across like you're specifically singling her out because it's more natural for you to just open your mouth and start talking to people.

if you have an anecdote that's gotten a laugh in the past try it out on her. If you have an anecdote that you're thinking about trying out on her (but haven't really tried it) try it on some random strangers that you're not particularly interested in and see how it plays.

I'm not kidding when I tell you that the secret to talking to girls is being good at talking to people.

Last edited:
She was hired for that job specifically because she is at least passably good at being friendly. That doesn't mean she's not into you but it doesn't mean she's into you either.

She is a captive audience. That being the case, you need to tread very lightly on hitting on her.

Your best bet for building interest is to tease her in a friendly way. Pretend she's a dude that you're friendly with and talk to her exactly like that. If you couldn't say what you're thinking of saying to a dude don't say it, because she doesn't have the option of walking away.

Be you, be genuine.

It's okay to say something that's casually friendly such as "I'm always glad when your line is the short line." Which implies that you would have gone to a different line if it was shorter because you're totally not stalking her. Even though I'm sure she's aware you are.

If it's a really small place and she's basically the only cashier that I would go with something more like "I'm always glad when you're working the register because the other ones seem to notice when I try to shoplift!"

You could go for something whimsical like, "I really like the way you always put the labels sunny side up!" or, "I like that tune you are playing with the scanner. I love techno!"

Maybe an interesting t-shirt or a hat might be a decent angle to give <her> the option of starting a conversation by commenting about something about you. That something has to be somewhat interesting. Don't try to guess or find out something that she's interested in such as a favorite band or something like that; make it something that you are genuinely interested in that you genuinely are pleased with.

I have a couple of bolo ties in sterling silver.

One of them I don't think it's as interesting looking but I inherited it from my father who, in turn inherited it from his favorite Uncle. Chet used to wear square dancing with my great-aunt Beverly.

It's a good, not-about-her, or about-myself story in a sentence or two.

The problem is nobody ever asks me about the genuine heirloom. I get a lot of compliments on the other one that I bought for $70 at a Salvation Army, of all places. That's a decent story, too (They have jewelers advise them, but this one had languished in a case till the silver value exceeded the price) but not as good as the one I'd rather tell.

If I was clever, I'd fudge the Chet and Beverly story over to the Salvation Army Bolo. I don't though, because genuine comes through better.

If you don't already do this, practice talking to strangers in general. Couples and men. Just so that when you're talking to a girl it doesn't come across like you're specifically singling her out because it's more natural for you to just open your mouth and start talking to people.

if you have an anecdote that's gotten a laugh in the past try it out on her. If you have an anecdote that you're thinking about trying out on her (but haven't really tried it) try it on some random strangers that you're not particularly interested in and see how it plays.

I'm not kidding when I tell you that the secret to talking to girls is being good at talking to people.

okay thats great and once shes interested, whats the next move if i want to go out with her?

okay thats great and once shes interested, whats the next move if i want to go out with her?

I assume you stalk her enough to know what her schedule seems to be?

Pick a day you think she is off and ask. "How about we grab a bite thursday? I know this great little __________ joint. It's a little hole-in-the-wall, family-owned place. You'll get a kick out of the way tbey _________."

Be direct. it's well worth the effort whether she bites or not. It's all good practice.

The thing you are up against is she is a captive audience so she's attended this Rodeo several times so she's already prepared with the way she says no thanks.

I she bites great. If she doesn't next time you find yourself crushing on a cashier try it a lot sooner. You have become a familiar face which is great for friends not so great for tall dark and mysterious.

I always do the best in a town that I am passing through regularly because I don't actually belong there. so there's no reason to assume that it's going to get awkward if it's not a good fit. In your case she's already going to be thinking about that if it falls flats you know she's still going to bump into you.

"How about we grab a bite thursday? I know this great little __________ joint. It's a little hole-in-the-wall, family-owned place. You'll get a kick out of the way tbey _________."

this actually worked for ya the first time you met a woman working at a store??

this actually worked for ya the first time you met a woman working at a store??

You're overthinking this. The point is to show an interest in her, in a non-creepy way.
Compliment something about her each time you see her. Nice earrings, nice blouse, pretty nail polish, whatever. She'll know you're paying attention. If she smiles and gives a warm "thank you" followed by more small talk then you're probably safe. A colder "thanks, that'll be $2.00" will be just as obvious.

If she turns you down, you only ever buy a candy bar there. The worst that happens if you stop eating candy bars.

thats the thing i do smile at her and her face lightens up/gets happy. Actually the moment i walk into the store i catch her's and another colleague of hers eyes compared to other customers. so like what jokes can i make? any suggestions?

More physical jokes than real jokes, like the way you move your body towards her, make her laugh by being silly, she'll remember you that way. Of course once in a while give her that serious smile...

Some of these are very good, but may I answer from the perspective of a female and one who has worked in the service industry?

The men I took notice of took the time to notice something about me and comment on it....and I don't mean my rack. Something small that drew me out of "work mode" and made me acknowledge them on a personal level.

or

Once I had a customer who went to another coworker of mine and discreetly asked about my dating status and my tastes in music. The next time I saw him he was buying the cd of my favourite band at the time. Tricky clever fellow. :D

Back