Posting as a novel vs posting as individual chapters

Rozalin_0123

Sinful Seductress
Is there an advantage to posting a longer series as a novel opposed to individual chapters in a specific category? What I have is an erotic horror story. I knew going in that this particular category of story doesn't see a lot of traffic and has a somewhat niche audience. However, novels seems to gain a bit more traffic and can vary on their subject matter.

So which way would be the best way to go, with the intent to gain the most views? Would posting such a story in the novels section be subject to a large amount of downvotes?

So which way would be the best way to go, with the intent to gain the most views?

Since most readers find your story through the New Stories list, the longer you can keep your story on the New Stories list, the more views you'll attract. That suggests a posting of chapters at a seven day interval is the best option from a purely technical POV.

Every story is different, and not all stories are suitable for serialization (posting in chapters.) even for those that are suitable for serialization may not work best at a seven day interval between installments; division into seven equal parts and posting daily over one week might work better for some stories.

There is the "I never read Chapter Ones until the entire story is posted" crowd to consider as well. If that group can't tell which is the last chapter, they'll give your story a complete pass.

Whichever way you choose will be wrong (or right).

If you are going to post individual chapters, each one ought to be complete in itself with a beginning, development and an ending which is a hook for the next chapter. Each chapter should preferably have some sexual activity.

The reads and votes for chapters posted separately are likely to diminish with each successive chapter, because only those who liked the first chapters are going to read the next ones - but the rating should improve because only those who like the premise will continue.

Posting as a novel in a single submission really depends on how long it is going to be. Up to 7 or 8 Lit pages isn't too long to post in the appropriate story category, but 300,000 words might be.

Yeah, what they said! but also speaking personally I find really long chapters a bit scary and am more likely to pass over a submission if its too lengthy. that might not be a general thing though, it might just be me.

If your sole ambition is to get the most views, there are two ways:

1. Post an entry to the themed contests - the next one is Halloween. Your story (which must be a complete entity) will attract views for weeks.

2. Post a short story, or a chapter, every day so that you are always on the New List.

1 is more effective than 2, and less work. :rolleyes:

Is there an advantage to posting a longer series as a novel opposed to individual chapters in a specific category? What I have is an erotic horror story. I knew going in that this particular category of story doesn't see a lot of traffic and has a somewhat niche audience. However, novels seems to gain a bit more traffic and can vary on their subject matter.

So which way would be the best way to go, with the intent to gain the most views? Would posting such a story in the novels section be subject to a large amount of downvotes?

If it's a slow-burner with a long build-up, you are better off posting it as one long story. Otherwise many people will drop it after the first chapter because they are bored with the pace and lack of substance.

But if you can somehow chapterize it so there is something interesting going on in each episode - maybe even a cliff-hanger - it will work well as multi-parter.

To elaborate a little bit more:

The story is going to be around the 60k-70k word range. It consists of 10 chapters, all of which are written save for the last. Each chapter is at least 2 "Lit" pages, but never more than 3. Each chapter has sex in it and "could" be relatively self contained. However some plot points the reader WILL be lost on if they have not read previous chapters. I tried to maintain a consistent plot line that starts out raising questions and gradually answering them over each chapter, often times raising new ones to keep the reader coming back. By the time you reach the end, the "whole" of the story comes into focus.

My goal starting out was to create a story in which the sex drives the story forward rather than a story that builds up to the sex. Obviously every author wants a high rating and a lot of exposure. Sometimes great stories aren't read because of how or where the were published. Or worse yet, get buried in a sea of crap stories.

Unfortunately, both of your alternatives are located in the backwaters of Lit. Both Erotic Horror and Novels and Novellas are low traffic sections. The number and size of your chapters are not the issue--neither are daunting or unusual. I don't think you will be down voted in either section, but the audience you are trying to find will be more likely to look for your story in EH. That's where I would put it if I were in your situation.

The story is going to be around the 60k-70k word range. It consists of 10 chapters, all of which are written save for the last. Each chapter is at least 2 "Lit" pages, but never more than 3. Each chapter has sex in it and "could" be relatively self contained. However some plot points the reader WILL be lost on if they have not read previous chapters. I tried to maintain a consistent plot line that starts out raising questions and gradually answering them over each chapter, often times raising new ones to keep the reader coming back. By the time you reach the end, the "whole" of the story comes into focus.

My advice would be to post the whole completed story, in the Erotic Horror category, as an entry in the forthcoming Halloween contest. That would get it more exposure than being posted as a Novel or as a series of chapters in Erotic Horror.

It would be one of the longer entries but not impossibly long.

My advice would be to post the whole completed story, in the Erotic Horror category, as an entry in the forthcoming Halloween contest. That would get it more exposure than being posted as a Novel or as a series of chapters in Erotic Horror.

My editor suggested the same. Where can I find the official rules for this contest? Hopefully I have enough time to finish it...

My editor suggested the same. Where can I find the official rules for this contest? Hopefully I have enough time to finish it...
In the sticky atop AH: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1083919

The basic time frame is:

starts: October 1
closes: October 22
winners announced: October 29

My procrastinator's rule is to quit polishing and actually submit at least a couple days before the deadline. Which means I don't go psycho-suicidal over not being the first to submit, yet I do have that deadline as a goad. Deadlines and guilt are great motivators.

Ah, motivation. We LIT authorial types write for various reasons:

* Money. Well, probably not here at LIT. We need other rewards, like:
* Brownie points. High votes scores, many votes and faves, lotsa Red H's.
* Eyeballs. Even if readers don't like and reward a story, it's enough that they've read it. The more views, the better, no matter the reception.
* Self-expression - it's just something we HAVE to do, like farting. Robert Frost ended interviews by saying, "Excuse me, I must LET a poem."
* That's like: obedience. Some of us write because the voices in our heads demand that we do so. We always listen to our voices, right?
* That's also like: guilt. We SAID we'd write or edit or review something, and we feel a gnawing in our gutz till we work through that karma.
* Propaganda. We're trying to push a viewpoint or ideology, like some of the polyamory-recruiting stories in GroupSex. Not that that's BAD...
* Practice. LIT is a great place to stretch one's writing skills, try-out techniques and tactics and strategies, make mistakes, get feedback.
* That's like: relief. Some pros post here with stories they feel they can't publish under their own names in their usual venues. LIT is safe.
* Laziness. For some, writing stories is easier than posting to forums. For others, it's vice-versa. Depends on our internal brain wiring.
* Alternation. Some of us cycle between writing stories, comments, poetry / songs, program code, death warrants, and channeled messages.
* None of the above. People have their own reasons; and people lie. Hmmm...

If it's a horror story you could use it to practice your skill on serializing it. Making three chapters, each that work perfectly well as a larger buildup until the end.

Novels is a wasteland. A very well-reviewed wasteland.

I second that idea.

When I have entered a story in one of the competitions, the number of views skyrocketed compared to an ordinary submission. So even if you don't win, it is still a great marketing strategy.

My goal starting out was to create a story in which the sex drives the story forward rather than a story that builds up to the sex. Obviously every author wants a high rating and a lot of exposure. Sometimes great stories aren't read because of how or where the were published. Or worse yet, get buried in a sea of crap stories.

If there is sex in most/all chapters and each installment advances the story, chapters will work.

As to your fear that people would be lost if they read say.....ch 6 and not 5...why would they do that? Granted some might pick up a story when they see the latest on the list, but if they like it will always go backwards to the start, that's why in all series ch 1 always has the most views.

Also don't make the mistake I did with my long series and feel sex has to be in every chapter, once the story hooks them you can get away with chapters with no sex.

I realized that when I edited my SWB series down to publish and as I read it, it dawned on me that sex in every chapter is fine if you're reading an installment every couple of weeks, but reading straight through it becomes, "Christ, they're fucking again:

On that note posting it as one long 'novel' might have that effect on people.

EH is not the most sex driven of categories, they are looking for a lot of story to go with the sex. Even if your killer...(a Succubus I think you mentioned somewhere else) ....kills during sex do not feel you need to do the sex in detail.

If there is sex in most/all chapters and each installment advances the story, chapters will work.

As to your fear that people would be lost if they read say.....ch 6 and not 5...why would they do that? Granted some might pick up a story when they see the latest on the list, but if they like it will always go backwards to the start, that's why in all series ch 1 always has the most views.

Also don't make the mistake I did with my long series and feel sex has to be in every chapter, once the story hooks them you can get away with chapters with no sex.

I realized that when I edited my SWB series down to publish and as I read it, it dawned on me that sex in every chapter is fine if you're reading an installment every couple of weeks, but reading straight through it becomes, "Christ, they're fucking again:

On that note posting it as one long 'novel' might have that effect on people.

EH is not the most sex driven of categories, they are looking for a lot of story to go with the sex. Even if your killer...(a Succubus I think you mentioned somewhere else) ....kills during sex do not feel you need to do the sex in detail.

Good advice.

I feel I did a fairly good job of keeping the sex scenes fresh despite there being one in every chapter. The sex covers a very broad range of activities. I describe the sex in detail, but in short sentences and in as little words as possible. There is no sexual dialog or extra "filler" found in the sex scenes. Additionally, if the sex involves the succubus (yes you were right about that) there is almost always some ulterior motive. There is purpose behind the sex, it isn't thrown in there just to get the reader hot and bothered, even though I do want to get them hot and bothered ;)

If it's a horror story you could use it to practice your skill on serializing it. Making three chapters, each that work perfectly well as a larger buildup until the end.
The story isn't structured like that. Each chapter is a good unit, with different dynamics and non-gratuitous sex in each. Each chapter drives the story in an unexpected direction -- and as one reader said, almost addictively. BTW, Roz has asked for beta-readers to PM her. (Do I overstep a line by mentioning that?)

Roz: I'm off my butt and working; I should have 8+9 back to you tomorrow (Monday). Great stuff!

Every time I try to post as novel, my readers message me and ask for more, so? So I am thinking of doing all my writing episodically, as did many writers before me. "A Christmas Carol" was published as insatllments.

Every time I try to post as novel, my readers message me and ask for more, so? So I am thinking of doing all my writing episodically, as did many writers before me. "A Christmas Carol" was published as insatllments.

My experience: Too often, I'll have a nifty concept, and write and post a series of chapters / installments -- but not the finale, which hangs fire for a few months while I try to amass the inspiration and perspiration to finish. Yes, I'll eventually complete THE BOOK OF RUTH and A TASTE OF HONEY and LEFT BEHIND and A TASTE OF LEMONADE (all 2/3 done) and the BLACK & WHITE tales (3/5 done). I want to finish all those and put them behind me. I might have to kill or jail half the RUTH players to free myself from their grasp.

My major Hallowe'en Contest entry will be the seed of a saga that needn't be sequential. But I am making a new rule set for myself: 1) If it's a sequential tale, write all chapters before submitting, like I did with the BRIDE OF KONG and RON'S JOURNAL and DEXTEROUS DEXTER series. 2) Otherwise, try to stick to standalone stories, maybe with shared universes, but NOT in sequence, and with no saga ending to aim for. Life is complicated enough; don't need to muck it up further.

Back