The Official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' Support Thread 2018

The official announcement is up. We're less than four weeks from the start, but don't panic. The contest won't close for nearly eight weeks.

I'm in for this one.

"Summer Breeze" - skydiving, summer and sex. The three S's :D

Last edited:
Good excuse to polish up a story I'd been thinking of posting anyway. It'll be my first contest submission, so it's a little daunting. But it's good timing. I'll still be posting sections of a long story that (as a sequel) has been understandably slow to take off.

More exposure, as they say. If only I had more of an exhibitionist streak when it came to my own writing.

Last edited:
Is it ok to submit more than one story? I'm half finished a story involving that most infuriating of summer infestations: tourists. As I mentioned in the Coffee Shop yesterday, I had a plot bunny hop into my yard: clearly two people, a man and a woman, were in the park behind my house talking at four in the morning. I see a hookup.

Strange things done in the midnight sun etc.

Is it ok to submit more than one story? I'm half finished a story involving that most infuriating of summer infestations: tourists. As I mentioned in the Coffee Shop yesterday, I had a plot bunny hop into my yard: clearly two people, a man and a woman, were in the park behind my house talking at four in the morning. I see a hookup.

Strange things done in the midnight sun etc.

For the competitions, you can enter as many different stories as you can write. Look at previous ones and you'll see any number of authors with two entries and a few with more.

Oops

I wasn't paying attention to the forum or contests and I just posted a story that was titled Summer Lovin'. I didn't intend it to be a part of the contest. It doesn't have to the tag line. Should I go back and change the title or does it even matter?

I wasn't paying attention to the forum or contests and I just posted a story that was titled Summer Lovin'. I didn't intend it to be a part of the contest. It doesn't have to the tag line. Should I go back and change the title or does it even matter?

It's too early to post for the contest, and you didn't go through the contest process, so it shouldn't make any difference.

You might sooth any misunderstandings with Laurel by sending her a PM to say that it wasn't a contest story.

Nup, guys. I’m out. Just too many technical frustrations this summer, plus this one is always the hardest contest for me to figure out a good story for.

Good luck to everyone!

Nup, guys. I’m out. Just too many technical frustrations this summer, plus this one is always the hardest contest for me to figure out a good story for.

Good luck to everyone!

I ran into some trouble with this one too. The story I intended to use for Summer Lovin' has become much too long and involved, and will have to be a two-parter at least.

I've decided to switch gears to another story I've been dabbling with on the side which just happens to occur during the summer and involves plenty of splish-splash outdoor fun. We'll see if it comes together in time.

Hope all your stories are cruising right along!

Started a story two weeks ago -- 4,500 words of draft -- then decided it was not really following the contest theme and I didn't even like it very much. I'm on my second now -- approaching 5,000 words, and this one is feeling pretty good. Time will tell... :rolleyes:

Hello, I'm sorry to post such a dumb question, but for the life of me I haven't been able to find the link to this competition, to check the rules etc, despite using the search facility (which throws up previous year's competitions but not this one). Does anyone here have the patience to send me the link? Sorry again, but thanks for your patience

Hello, I'm sorry to post such a dumb question, but for the life of me I haven't been able to find the link to this competition, to check the rules etc, despite using the search facility (which throws up previous year's competitions but not this one). Does anyone here have the patience to send me the link? Sorry again, but thanks for your patience

They hid it up at the top in the blue stickies no one ever looks at.

Here's a link.

Two old stories finished. :)

Six more waiting semi patiently.:eek:

two new ones hopping around my feet. :eek:

Anyone want to guess what I'm writing on? :rolleyes:

Two old stories finished. :)

Six more waiting semi patiently.:eek:

two new ones hopping around my feet. :eek:

Anyone want to guess what I'm writing on? :rolleyes:

Holy gucamole, Batman. You're flying. Better stay away from my coffee there, Tex.

Holy gucamole, Batman. You're flying. Better stay away from my coffee there, Tex.

I'm taking a break from my mainstream stuff so I have all these extra words floating around in my head. I have to do something with the overflow. :eek:

Mine has been sitting mostly finished for a week, waiting for me to fix an annoying problem with viewpoint flow.

So what do I do? I wake up from a nap with a brilliant idea. A week later I have 16000 words of a Sci-Fi "short story" set on a moon of Uranus (the title possibilities!), absolutely stuffed with gobs of low-gravity sex mechanics that I've never even thought about before (dude, boobs swing 1/5 as fast if the gravity is 1/25th Earth g!), over-long action scenes based entirely on a single person's movements in sub-Luna gravity because Wow That's Cool, a psychological mystery, and pretty much the kitchen sink of rambling narrative that starts as a hard-nosed mini-space opera and is supposed to finish as a romance. A great, awful mess that's only 3/4 done and is stealing all of my attention.

I haven't written much yet, but I've outlined a whole heck of a lot. And I like the outline. The story takes place over a 7-day vacation, and each day is a different chapter, with subchapters each dedicated to a different person's perspective. Assuming it actually gets written (I'm optimistic) it will be my most ambitious and longest one-shot story yet.

Working on my second idea again after finishing a trilogy of shorts to fill categories elsewhere. I'll post them all here as one submission next weekend, probably. They'll hit a new category for me here, too. Haven't ventured into BDSM in any of my pen names yet.

It's Femdom, so I don't expect it to do well. LOL

My first contest idea, while it's set in summer, just doesn't feel summery enough to me. I was trying to pump up the theme connection, and that was what was holding me back. If I take it off the table as a contest story, and let it flow naturally, it will be easier to get done. I'll concentrate on the new contest idea, and come back to that one later.

It's been years in planning and foreshadowing, so a little longer wait isn't really going to amount to a hill-o-beans.

I have a story written several years ago, that with some tweaking, would fit the Summer Lovin' contest perfectly. It has never been published at Literotica and is 45K words. I've just reviewed the rules, and this is the only one of concern:

- All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately. If you have a multi-chaptered contest-themed submission, please submit all chapters together as one story submission.

I absolutely wouldn't want to dishonor the spirit of the contest rules. So re the rule above, would a story written several years ago, and which by coincidence, nicely fits this contest's guidelines, be okay to submit? Or must the story be one that has been freshly written for this contest?

My sense is, I shouldn't use it if it even hints at not 'fitting' the rules... :(

Thanks

I have a story written several years ago, that with some tweaking, would fit the Summer Lovin' contest perfectly. It has never been published at Literotica and is 45K words. I've just reviewed the rules, and this is the only one of concern:

- All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately. If you have a multi-chaptered contest-themed submission, please submit all chapters together as one story submission.

I absolutely wouldn't want to dishonor the spirit of the contest rules. So re the rule above, would a story written several years ago, and which by coincidence, nicely fits this contest's guidelines, be okay to submit? Or must the story be one that has been freshly written for this contest?

My sense is, I shouldn't use it if it even hints at not 'fitting' the rules... :(

Thanks

I don't agree at all with this. If you have not published the story, I see nothing wrong with tweaking it to making it fit and submitting it now. You shouldn't hesitate to do this.

As long as the story, as revised, roughly fits the criteria for the category, nobody is going to object, and nobody will be the wiser unless you tell them. Even if you do, most of your fellow authors, I wager, will not object. I won't.

Do it. Don't worry about it.

All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately. If you have a multi-chaptered contest-themed submission, please submit all chapters together as one story submission.
The point of the rule is to stop individual chapters of endless story cycles, with their attached fans, getting into contests and overwhelming stand-alone stories.

Reworking something old to make it stand-alone and fresh is quite different, I reckon. So yes, dust it off, put a new coat of paint on it, make sure it's self-contained. Who'd know?

The point of the rule is to stop individual chapters of endless story cycles, with their attached fans, getting into contests and overwhelming stand-alone stories.

Reworking something old to make it stand-alone and fresh is quite different, I reckon. So yes, dust it off, put a new coat of paint on it, make sure it's self-contained. Who'd know?

The other point to the rule -- particularly the part you highlighted -- is that the stories need to be consistent with the contest theme. "Created for" would be a difficult detail to enforce, even if that was the intent.

Back