Literotica Cemetary

ShamelessFlirt said:
I hope the MODs don't mistake this as a thread for necrophiliacs and move it to the personals ...lol

LMAO.Oh shit no you didn't.
 
For the Aussies here...

Cricket world mourns loss of David Hookes


Sporting figures, politicians and fans around the world have paid tribute to Victorian cricket coach and former Australian Test player David Hookes who has died in a Melbourne hospital after being attacked outside a St Kilda hotel on Sunday night.

A 21-year-old hotel security guard has been charged over the attack.

Hookes was celebrating Victoria's one-day win over South Australia at St Kilda's Beaconsfield Hotel when a fight broke out outside just before midnight on Sunday.

It is believed that the 48-year-old became involved in the brawl, sustained a blow to the head and went into cardiac arrest.

Paramedics performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the unconscious Hookes for about 30 minutes before rushing him to the Alfred Hospital.

Hookes's wife Robyn and his family maintained a bed-side vigil throughout the day but his condition remained unchanged. He died about 7:30pm (AEDT), surrounded by his family.

His brother, Terry Cranagh, broke the news to the media at the hospital and thanked the community for their support for David and his family.

"We the family of cricketer David Hookes wish to inform David's many friends, family members and fans that he passed away today at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne," Mr Cranagh said, reading from a statement.

"We trust that the police will conduct a full investigation into the cause of the incident and that the justice process will provide us with some insight into what occurred."

"We wish to thank those people involved in his care, including the bystanders and emergency paramedics," he added.

***

David William Hookes burst onto the Australian cricket scene as a precocious 21-year-old during the Centenary Test against England at the MCG in 1977.

Despite having played just a handful of first class matches for his native South Australia, the baby-faced left-hander showed he could mix it with the big boys, scoring a second innings half century in Australia's 45-run victory.

While batting, Hookes was targeted by Tony Greig, England's captain and arch sledger. In response to a verbal barrage by Greig, Hookes let his bat do the talking, smashing five consecutive fours in one over of Greig's off spinners.

Legend has it that the young Australian did not leave it at that, giving as good as he got in the area of mental disintegration by questioning Greig's mixed-up loyalties as a South African captaining England.

The England captain had the last laugh, of sorts, as Hookes was out shortly afterwards for 56.

But his performance seemed to herald the birth of a new batting star in Australian cricket.

RIP David Hookes :rose:
 
R.I.P HOOKSY

:mad: fucking bouncers. Slugged him from behind, you know. I hope he gets killed in Gaol.
 
Ann Miller and Captain Kangaroo

Ann Miller, the great dancer who was in the movies with Gene Kelly has passed on at the age of 81, from cancer.

It has just been reported that Bob Keeshan, a.k.a. Captain Kangaroo, died today.

My childhood is disappearing around me.

:(
 
Last edited:
Ann Miller

miller_1074813498.jpg


Ann Miller, as she appeared on Broadway in "SUGAR BABIES".

:rose:
 
Lloyd Bucher, captain of North Korea-seized Pueblo, dies at 76

Retired Navy Cmdr. Lloyd "Pete" Bucher, who was captain of the intelligence-gathering ship Pueblo when it was captured off North Korea in 1968 and its crew held in brutal captivity for 11 months, died Wednesday at a San Diego-area nursing home after years of poor health. He was 76.

Cmdr. Bucher was severely criticized by a Naval Court of Inquiry for surrendering his ship without firing a shot, but many of the 82 crew members credited his bravery and stoic example for helping them survive merciless beatings and torture in a North Korean prison camp.

Cmdr. Bucher was an orphan who was reared at Boys Town, the fabled home for homeless boys in Nebraska, and served two years in the Navy before attending the University of Nevada. He was commissioned in 1953.

Cmdr. Bucher is survived by his wife, Rose, and sons Mark and Michael.
:rose:
 
Former Doobie Brother Dies At 58

2817675_200X150.jpg

Bumpus Played Sax For Doobies, Steely Dan
POSTED: 12:34 p.m. EST February 4, 2004

The former saxophonist for the classic rock group the Doobie Brothers has died.

Cornelius Bumpus died Tuesday of a heart attack while on a flight from New York to Los Angeles, said his family. He was 58.

In a statement on Bumpus' Web site, his family said the plane made an unscheduled stop in Sioux City, Iowa to try and get help for him.

"Cornelius was a man of great modesty and simplicity," Bumpus' wife, Linda, also said in the statement. "His life was music, family and church. He never liked giving talks or speeches (he always felt more articulate with a horn in his mouth), so in that spirit I will keep this brief."

Bumpus played saxophone for the Doobies until his relations with his former bandmates turned contentious in the late 1990s.

The band sued Bumpus and several other musicians over their use of the Doobie Brothers name.

A federal judge in 1999 ordered the musicians to refrain from using the name.

Bumpus also performed with Steely Dan since 1993.

:rose:
 
you mean they weren't really brothers?

...I'm just getting over the fact that the Righteous brothers weren't even named Righteous.
 
Jan Miner

Palmolive's "Madge" and Respected Theatre Actress, Dead at 86
17 Feb 2004

madge2.jpg


Jan Miner, the actress whose best known character was known for shocking women in a manicure shop on television, but whose work was also seen on stages around the country, died Feb. 15 in a Bethel, Connecticut, health care facility, The New York Times reported.

For than 20 years Ms. Miner played Madge the Manicurist in commercials for Palmolive dishwashing detergent, which was billed as being so mild that it could be used to soften cuticles in the fictional salon where Madge made her living.

"You're soaking in it," Madge would tell her customers. Pulling their fingers out of the soapy soup, the ladies would be reassured by Madge that it was safe for their hands.

:rose:
 
Carl Anderson, Judas In 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Dies

2870179_200X150.jpg


Actor Originated Film, Stage Roles Of Judas
POSTED: 12:24 p.m. EST February 24, 2004

The actor-singer who played Judas in the film and stage versions of "Jesus Christ: Superstar" has died.

According to the Virginia paper Lynchburg News & Advance, Carl Anderson died in Los Angeles Monday after a battle with leukemia. He was 58.

Anderson was a Lynchburg native. According to the paper, he regularly returned to his hometown to perform and conduct workshops.

According to Broadway.com, Anderson made his Broadway debut as Judas in "Jesus Christ Superstar" -- written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice -- in 1971. He landed the film role of Judas for the film version, opposite Ted Neely as Jesus, six months later.

The film role earned Anderson Golden Globe nominations for Best Motion Picture Actor in a Musical or Comedy and Most Promising Newcomer -- Male in 1974. The stage role a earned Anderson a NAACP Award for Theater, reported the Lynchburg News & Advance.

Anderson reprised his role as Judas for the 20th anniversary tour of the stage version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" in 1992, and he embarked on another tour of the musical with Sebastian Bach in the role of Jesus (pictured with Anderson, above) just before being diagnosed with leukemia.

Anderson's other Broadway roles included "Play On!" and he can be heard on the concept recording of Frank Wildhorn's "The Civil War."

On film, Anderson also appeared in "The Color Purple," and he guest starred on several television shows including "The Rockford Files," "Magnum, "P.I.," "Starsky & Hutch" and "The Incredible Hulk."
:rose:
 
Joe Viterelli, Jelly From 'Analyze This,' Dies

2869339_120X90.jpg

Actor Was 66
POSTED: 8:33 a.m. EST February 24, 2004

Word has just surfaced that noted character actor Joe Viterelli has died.

Viterelli, who often played mobsters in films, died of complications from heart surgery in Las Vegas on Jan. 29. He was 66.

A character actor noted for his pug-faced features and stocky frame, Viterelli played henchman Jelly in the Robert DeNiro-Billy Crystal mob comedies "Analyze This" and "Analyze That."

A New York City native, Viterelli went to Los Angeles in the late 1970s and stumbled into acting. He became friends with director Leo Penn, who thought Viterelli's tough-guy features would play well in movies and television

Viterelli first declined, but the director's son, Sean Penn, persuaded him to appear in the 1990 gangster tale "State of Grace."

The role established him as a dependable character actor, and he went on to appear in dozens of films including "Bullets Over Broadway," the Sean Penn-directed "The Crossing Guard," "Eraser," "Mickey Blue Eyes" and "Shallow Hal." His last film was 2002's "Analyze That."

Viterelli also recently appeared in a commercial for Staples that debuted during the Super Bowl.

:rose:
 
Jenny, are you obsessed with death? :)

I have a close friend who scans the obits every day to see whether there is someone there who she knows. . . Do you do that?
 
TWB said:
Jenny, are you obsessed with death? :)

I have a close friend who scans the obits every day to see whether there is someone there who she knows. . . Do you do that?

Well, it's not really a "death" obsession (I didn't start this thread!), :wink: but I am interested in "celebrities", and I do get alerts from various acting publications.:cool:
 
John Randolph, Tony-Winning Character Actor, Dead at 88

01 Mar 2004

USArandolphJ.jpg


John Randolph, an accomplished character actor whose career include Broadway collaborations with Orson Welles and the Lunts, as well as a Tony Award-winning performance in Neil Simon's Broadway Bound, died Feb. 24 at his home in Hollywood, the New York Times reported. He was 88.

Mr. Randolph appeared in dozens of Broadway plays and musicals, his career on the stage culminating in the final play in Neil Simon's "Brighton Beach trilogy," Broadway Bound, in which he was honored for his portrayal of the cranky, opinionated grandfather Ben. As in many another Randolph performance, the character was far from shy, plain-spoken and wielded his gravelly Bronx accent for purposes both comical and menacing. Frank Rich, writing in the New York Times, said he played Ben with "a matchless mixture of buried affection and shrewd comic timing."

After winning the Tony, Mr. Randolph spend the remainder of his career in film (save a brief stint in Broadway's Prelude to a Kiss), where he made an impression as difficult, but lovable father figures in "Prizzi's Honor" and "You've Got Mail."

The actor worked steadily throughout the '50s and '60s, despite having been blacklisted for having refused to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee in 1955.

John Randolph was born Emanuel Hirsch Cohen in the Bronx. He attended City College and studied in the Federal Theater Project. His wife of 41 years, Sarah Cunningham, died in 1986. He is survived by a daughter and a son.

:rose:
 
Fiery Schott dead

Ex-Reds owner's racial slurs sparked downfall

CINCINNATI—Marge Schott, the tough-talking, chain-smoking owner of the Cincinnati Reds who won a World Series and was repeatedly suspended for offensive remarks, died yesterday. She was 75.

Schott was hospitalized about three weeks ago for breathing difficulties. She often needed treatment for lung problems in recent years.

Schott kept a low profile after she sold controlling interest in the club in October 1999. She remained a limited partner in the ownership group, but had no say in the team's operations.

She loved to mingle with fans and gave to charitable causes, but got in trouble because she couldn't watch her words. She reportedly used racial slurs to describe her players and repeatedly praised Hitler despite admonitions to keep quiet.
"I think people are remembered for the good things they do when they're gone," Reds shortstop Barry Larkin said. "Now that she's gone, they will remember the parties she had to raise money for kids, her involvement with the zoo, her giving to minority programs. She gave to minority programs before her racist comments came out.''

The Reds plan to honour Schott in some fashion on opening day.
 
Body of Missing Monologuist Spalding Gray Found

08 Mar 2004

gray1_1078776180.jpg

Spalding Gray

New York City Police have positively identified a body that was found in the East River on March 7 as that of missing actor and monologuist Spalding Gray.

The identification was achieved through dental records, the Medical Examiner's office told Playbill On-Line. Cause of death is yet to be determined.

According to the New York Post, the body featured a pair of black corduroy pants. Gray was wearing black corduroys when he vanished on the evening of Jan. 10. The remainder of the clothing was badly decomposed, as was the corpse's face. No identification was found. Gray left his wallet behind when he left his Tribeca loft two months ago.

The body was spotted off the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn, near Kent Avenue, at around 3 PM March 7, the Post said.

Spalding Gray, the Obie Award-winning author of Swimming to Cambodia and Gray's Anatomy, officially became a missing person on Jan. 19.

*

Police had been looking into an account that Gray rode the Staten Island ferry on Friday. Gray attempted suicide aboard the ferry in September, but was prevented by a friend. He was again seen on the boat the evening of Friday, Jan. 9. Unable to decide whether to disembark, he was escorted off the ferry by security guards.

The actor and author was due to fly to Aspen, Colorado, on the morning of Saturday, Jan. 10, but decided to stay in Manhattan when his LaGuardia Airport flight was canceled. His five-year-old son with wife Kathy Russo, Theo, and Russo's 17-year-old daughter Marissa, saw him that day. They later attending a showing of the film "Big Fish" at the Loews Village VII on Third Avenue and then had lunch a Haveli, a Second Avenue Indian restaurant, the Post reported.

Theo spoke with his father on the phone several hours later. After that, his whereabouts are unknown. He left his Tribeca loft—which is just a block away from the Performing Garage, where he often performed with The Wooster Group, the famous avant garde troupe he co-founded—without his wallet, his baggage or his medication.

Russo reported Gray's disappearance to the police Sunday, Jan. 11 at 10 AM, explaining that the writer disappeared after he returned home from the movies with their two young children.

Gray was been depressed since he suffered head injuries in a car accident in Ireland in 2001, where he was vacationing in celebration of his 60th birthday. He fractured his skull and hip. According to his wife, the accident caused him to have a metal plate implanted in his head, and a torn sciatic nerve impaired his ability to walk.

:rose:
 
While I was never really a "fan" of his, I'm glad the found Spaldings body finally.
 
Paul Winfield Is Dead at 62

Known for Film and TV Roles
March 9, 2004

paulwinfieldbig.jpg


Paul Winfield, an actor known for his versatility and power in stage, film and television roles that included a highly praised televised portrayal of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1978 and an Oscar-nominated part in "Sounder" in 1972, died on Sunday in Los Angeles. He was 62.

The cause was a heart attack, his agent, Michael Livingston, said.

In 1968 Mr. Winfield played the boyfriend of Diahann Carroll in her situation comedy "Julia," a role that Contemporary Black Biography, a reference book, suggested helped open television to more black performers. Four years later Mr. Winfield was nominated for an Academy Award for his portrayal of the father in Martin Ritt's "Sounder."

Even an Oscar nomination did not guarantee acting offers, and Mr. Winfield often found himself relegated to supporting roles like Jim in a remake of "Huckleberry Finn" in 1974. The Washington Post in 1991 said that his opportunities reflected "the industry's fickle interest in black actors and stories."

His appearances in many television roles, from a starring part in "The Charmings" in 1987 to being a voice on "The Simpsons" in 1998, gave him a long and steady career, and some accolades. His portrayal of the title role in the mini-series "King" in 1978 won an Emmy nomination for best actor. His interpretation of a college chancellor willing to sing Negro spirituals to get donations for his school in "Roots: The Next Generation" in 1979 received an Emmy nomination for best supporting actor. He won an Emmy in 1995 for his guest appearance as a federal judge whose rulings on busing inner-city children are challenged by one of the town's leading citizens in "Picket Fences."

...

Other significant roles included appearing in the Broadway play "Checkmates" with Denzel Washington, playing Don King in a 1995 HBO movie and portraying the adoptive father of two Vietnamese children in the feature film "Catfish in Black Bean Sauce" in 1999.

Paul Edward Winfield was born on May 22, 1941, in Los Angeles. He was raised by a single mother, Lois Edwards, a union organizer, until he was 8, when his mother married his stepfather, who worked for years as a city garbage collector and then as a supervisor.

...

Mr. Winfield spoke out strongly for civil rights. And when he battled obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure, he urged blacks to lose weight because blacks are particularly susceptible to some heart ailments. "No one ever said so, but I'm sure my weight was the reason I didn't get certain roles," he said in an interview with Jet magazine.

Mr. Winfield is survived by his sister, Patricia Wilson, of Las Vegas.

:heart: :rose:

Note to lobito: I agree that finally finding his body is a closure that might help his family (and his young son).
 
Well damn, I thought Paul Winfield was dead long ago. The part of the article says it all about Hollywood being fickle about black actors and roles (et al).
 
'Murphy Brown' Co-Star Pastorelli Dies at 49

Actor Played House Painter on Long-Running Comedy

20040309131509990005.404e1e23-003ad-048d0-6e89bccd


LOS ANGELES (March 9) - Robert Pastorelli, the boxer-turned-actor best known to television audiences as the house painter Eldin on long-running CBS comedy "Murphy Brown," has died, the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office said on Tuesday.

Pastorelli, 49, was found dead in the bathroom of his Hollywood Hills home on Monday afternoon, a coroner's spokesman said. Drug paraphernalia was found on the scene, he added, and an autopsy was to be conducted on Tuesday.

The New Jersey-born Pastorelli got into stage acting in the 1970s in productions like "Rebel Without A Cause" but found his greatest fame on "Murphy Brown," painting the house of the title character played by Candice Bergen but never quite finishing his ambitious artistic projects on her walls.

He briefly had his own series, "Double Rush," about the manager of a bicycle messenger service. Most recently, he was cast in the film "Be Cool," a sequel to "Get Shorty."

Syndicated TV entertainment show Access Hollywood, which first reported the actor's death, said his girlfriend died in the same home in early 1999. The two had a daughter.

:rose:
 
I gotta hand it to you Jenny…

You're quick. I just heard about Pastorelli just now. And Winfield… damn. The last thing I remember watching him in was 227! And that was a decade ago.

:rose:
 
Back
Top