The Presumption of Innocence -an outdated standard?

Notcastor

Literotica Guru
The cool thing about the presumption of innocence is if you can keep your mouth shut, you can get away with almost anything.

Is it too easy to game the criminal justice system?

Pretty much in an age of Social Media that judges, tries and condemns oftentimes even before any of the facts are known. Legally, you can stay shut up, but that only leads the mob to believe that they have judged correctly. Even justice seems to have become a two-tiered system where the people with the right politics are innocent (including the unassailable victims beloved by the elite progressive political class) and the system is designed to find them not guilty, ever, whereas everyone else is operating in a sea of Napoleonic Code.

Now, I am done.
Carry on.

Pretty much in an age of Social Media that judges, tries and condemns oftentimes even before any of the facts are known. Legally, you can stay shut up, but that only leads the mob to believe that they have judged correctly. Even justice seems to have become a two-tiered system where the people with the right politics are innocent (including the unassailable victims beloved by the elite progressive political class) and the system is designed to find them not guilty, ever, whereas everyone else is operating in a sea of Napoleonic Code.

Now, I am done.
Carry on.

Welcome to the new "Gulag Archipelago."

Welcome to the new "Gulag Archipelago."

The People's Gulag until they come for me and no one will step up to defend me.
Reminds me of my comments yesterday (day before) on how black men have slipped so far down on the victim scale that they are now being treated as conservative white men over comments they made about a victim group lower on the totem in years past. Now those newly elevated groups are getting their revenge and truth be damned.

The People's Gulag until they come for me and no one will step up to defend me.
Reminds me of my comments yesterday (day before) on how black men have slipped so far down on the victim scale that they are now being treated as conservative white men over comments they made about a victim group lower on the totem in years past. Now those newly elevated groups are getting their revenge and truth be damned.

Yup. Me? I'm just watching the "Victim's Coalition" fragment and turn on each other as was inevitable. Referring to that link you posted in the other thread, the democrats didn't see this coming?

No more than the Bronze Age rulers or they had decided that they could control the mob, which they could, up to the point of critical mass. In instances of this phenomenon, I am always amused by the antics of Ellsworth Toohey.

;) ;)

No more than the Bronze Age rulers or they had decided that they could control the mob, which they could, up to the point of critical mass. In instances of this phenomenon, I am always amused by the antics of Ellsworth Toohey.

;) ;)

But this thread isn't about Journalism School graduates. :D

The cool thing about the presumption of innocence is if you can keep your mouth shut, you can get away with almost anything.

Is it too easy to game the criminal justice system?

The presumption of innocence is not an outdated standard.

Gaming the criminal justice system gets easier the more $$$ you have to spend.

I'm surprised at how thoroughly the current generation has rejected this principle. It's ironic because, at the same time, this generation has declared prejudice as an evil. Yet by rejecting the presumption of innocence, they are embracing prejudice. A woman would never lie. A white man is always guilty. I believe in the presumption of innocence, because without it, everyone is in jeopardy. It is also an important principle of American society. I don't think it is an outdated standard, but it is being clearly rejected at everyone's peril.
I grew up in a time where you could not even make a claim without some corroborating evidence. The accuser in such an instance would be properly vllified. A person's word meant nothing.

AJ has a long history of "not condoning" rape. It's just that when it DOES happen, it's almost always the girl's fault. Or her parent's fault.

Lol you, butters and Aglao are so retarded. You consistently provide dumbass 'evidence' without any understanding of the quotes' context.

What he meant was that as a society it's not enough to emote and point fingers after the fact.
We needs to focus on prevention too.
Regardless of who was guilty, it could have been prevented if either the boy was discouraged from drinking at frat parties, or the girl was discouraged from attending such parties. Now two lives are ruined.

Yes, it's abominable what the rapist did, and he deserved the sentencing, but that wasn't the topic discussed.

Lol you, butters and Aglao are so retarded. You consistently provide dumbass 'evidence' without any understanding of the quotes' context.

What he meant was that as a society it's not enough to emote and point fingers after the fact.
We needs to focus on prevention too.
Regardless of who was guilty, it could have been prevented if either the boy was discouraged from drinking at frat parties, or the girl was discouraged from attending such parties. Now two lives are ruined.

Yes, it's abominable what the rapist did, and he deserved the sentencing, but that wasn't the topic discussed.

there was NO EVIDENCE of RAPE

if there was

SHOW ME

YOU are as guilty of EMOTION as they are

there was NO EVIDENCE of RAPE

if there was

SHOW ME

YOU are as guilty of EMOTION as they are

Hi, BB. :rolleyes::D
I was referring to Rob’s quoting and distorting comments made 5 years! ago!
I wasn’t referring to the current Anderson case.

Tbh I haven't read much about the latter. So even if my gut feeling is that she told the truth, I prefer to abstain from giving a definite opinion.

What made me :rolleyes::rolleyes:and I focused on, was how mindlessly (social media) and unprofessionally (mass media) jumped on to vilify the judge.
Given that they showed little understanding of the legal system, or of what exactly happened in Court.
I want a lawyer to walk me through these, before throwing stones.

Hi, BB. :rolleyes::D
I was referring to Rob’s quoting and distorting comments made 5 years! ago!
I wasn’t referring to anything current or relevant. :rolleyes:

Tbh I don’t read much about most everything I comment on. So even if my gut feeling is that I’am going to look a complete fuckwaffle, I won’t abstain from giving a definite opinion.

What made me :rolleyes::rolleyes:yet I ignore, was how mindlessly (I) and unprofessionally (I) jumped in to defend the racists and board bigots.
Given that I showed little understanding of Anything, or of what exactly happened in Recent history.
I need a therapist to walk me out of here, before throwing my life completely away.

FYP, melonhead.

"’tis much more Prudence to acquit two Persons, tho’ actually guilty, than to pass Sentence of Condemnation on one that is virtuous and innocent." - Voltaire

"it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer." - Blackstone's ratio

"it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer." - Benjamin Franklin

People are found Not Guilty or all kinds of crimes all the time, or plead out to lesser charges for a "slap on the wrist".

So what?

Do you want to see Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt changed to the Civil Test of Proof on the Balance of Probabilities, for example?

(that would help the social media crowd, with their highly attuned sense of right and wrong.) :)

I'm surprised at how thoroughly the current generation has rejected this principle. It's ironic because, at the same time, this generation has declared prejudice as an evil. Yet by rejecting the presumption of innocence, they are embracing prejudice.

Presumption of innocence was shouted completely off the Amerikan landscape with bellowing mass chants of "Lock her up! Lock her up!", led by the racist who declared his black presidential predecessor guilty of birthplace fraud.

WTF are you surprised about?

People are found Not Guilty or all kinds of crimes all the time, or plead out to lesser charges for a "slap on the wrist".

So what?

Do you want to see Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt changed to the Civil Test of Proof on the Balance of Probabilities, for example?

(that would help the social media crowd, with their highly attuned sense of right and wrong.) :)

The lesser standard of Civil Proof is still too high for the mob mentality. All they require is the merest whisper of an implied accusation.

"TRUMP!"

"KAVANAUGH!"

"WITCH!"

Back