Is this under age?

Could simply be the equivalent of an author's note stating everyone's 18.
 
"I was sixteen years old and laying on my bed and unable to sleep, thought about seeing if my sister was awake in the next room and would want to talk."

First line from a story from me three years ago that was Rejected. There was no sex at all. The character gets up, goes to his sister's room (she is 18) and they sit and talk about his nightmares. Nothing sexual at all until later in the chapter.

The conversation was a flashback and later in the chapter we come back to the present where he is 21 and she is 23 and they have sex.

But as I said rejected. And there have been many threads over time here with people having rejections from saying an age in a story and there was no sex.

But here it is in the tag.

My point as its always been is a little more detailed posting fo the rules would be nice along with a little consistency.

Consistency is not that easily achieved. Sometimes it's how you feel about the world when you read something. Then again, if you are rushed, somethings just slip right on by you.

I should probably explain...I put a pretty extensive note on that first chapter of God Mother, explaining where the sex happens and how old the participants are at the time. So, although the story starts back when the young man was 12, he and his God Mother don't get together until he is 18, six years and 25 paragraphs later.

I have wondered why, when it would be so easy to do, that Manu and Laurel haven't had a scanner written that would do the first pass of the stories looking for major breakage of the rules...along with the bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation sometimes inherent in the stores she reads.

Have the scanner pass those that pass muster...the rules...the rest go in a cue for a human to look at.

Essentially, the scanning program would be like a computer language compiler. It would check syntax, spelling and the rules. If it has any question the story is placed in a cue for Laurel or someone else to look at.

Hell, I'm surprised that they haven't hired anyone to help vet the stories...I know Laurel loves what she does, but come on, she really doesn't have to do it by herself.

But the adage, "If you want something done right, do it yourself" does come into play. But, I'm sure there are at least a half dozen or so authors here who would love to earn a little extra money to help vet stories according to the rules and Laurel's wishes.
 
Has anyone read 'Beyond the Borderline' (incest)?

The protagonist entertains sexual thoughts towards his mother from well below 18 years of age. Does that make anyone here icky due to the age factor?

IMHO, as long as there is no actual sex between underaged characters, you have no reason to ban it.

Unnecessary lines that try to...give a hint of underage sexual feelings can give varying levels of ick to the readers. But since it has broken no 'rules', it can't be removed.
 
Has anyone read 'Beyond the Borderline' (incest)?

The protagonist entertains sexual thoughts towards his mother from well below 18 years of age. Does that make anyone here icky due to the age factor?

IMHO, as long as there is no actual sex between underaged characters, you have no reason to ban it.

Unnecessary lines that try to...give a hint of underage sexual feelings can give varying levels of ick to the readers. But since it has broken no 'rules', it can't be removed.

I have read it and I know who edited it. They told me before it was published that he had to get the author to back off a little on the pre 18(original version may have contained a lot more detailed sex thoughts and even some sex) and he said even the final version he was crossing his fingers on.

Personally it did not squick me and underage in general does not affect me as long as we are not talking pre teen, its about what the site declares it wants, but can't seem to manage to stick with.

You mention "thoughts" should not get banned only actions. Well thing is if I wrote that I was thinking something in detail and you read it aren;t you reading the act?

Example. If I thought back to last night and started writing down in detail how my wife gave me a blow job wouldn't you be picturing that image, therefore making it an act in the story? Many stories have been banned for "recalling" and thinking.

The authors note is the key and again I was fairly new and had not figured stuff like that out yet. I suppose a note to laurel would have gotten it cleared, but again was not aware of that and simply changed a few lines.

Zeb mentioned the scanner. If you recall for a long time people thought the site had some form of bot that screened stories and that explained things like "I had a 12 year old car" getting flagged. Then Laurel posted it is she who looks through them.

That program would save a lot of time. It would kick back dubious stories for her to look at, but save her from having to look at everything. But there are ways to trick a bot so maybe that is her reason.

When I see a story like this it doesn't annoy me half as much as the stories that are "tricky" so. We could say :Okay it was obvious, the writer was direct and she missed it"

But the whole budding breasts, baby talk, juvenile clothing (a care bears night shirt on a 19 year old, really?) pisses me off because that is an author who knows exactly what they are implying and pulling off and taking advantage of a screening process that is pretty much a quick skim that is looking for blatant "violations"

Let's face it, you want to break any rule? Put it on page 3 of a 6 page story. I doubt more than a first page is looked at unless something sticks out to warrant it.

I think the idea of a scanner program is a good one because you can "teach it" to look for things like that.
 
Last edited:
I have read it and I know who edited it. They told me before it was published that he had to get the author to back off a little on the pre 18(original version may have contained a lot more detailed sex thoughts and even some sex) and he said even the final version he was crossing his fingers on.

Personally it did not squick me and underage in general does not affect me as long as we are not talking pre teen, its about what the site declares it wants, but can't seem to manage to stick with.

The authors note is the key and again I was fairly new and had not figured stuff like that out yet. I suppose a note to laurel would have gotten it cleared, but again was not aware of that and simply changed a few lines.

Beyond The Borderline didn't ick me either.

Come on, let's face it. You don't have a divine intervention at 18 and have the entire knowledge of sex at once.

It's normal for teenagers to have such thoughts.

But the whole budding breasts, baby talk, juvenile clothing (a care bears night shirt on a 19 year old, really?) pisses me off because that is an author who knows exactly what they are implying and pulling off and taking advantage of a screening process that is pretty much a quick skim that is looking for blatant "violations"

Let's face it, you want to break any rule? Put it on page 3 of a 6 page story. I doubt more than a first page is looked at unless something sticks out to warrant it.

There are a lot of badly rated stories with such innuendos and bloody rapes that deserve to be banned.

I didn't know about the 'REPORT' feature and hadn't joined Lit as a member back then when I read it. I'll definitely report the rape ones when I see them again.

I don't know about Laurel's opinion on the innuendo part, but I want to see them banned as well.

I think the idea of a scanner program is a good one because you can "teach it" to look for things like that.

Good idea, but not foolproof in a subjective matter like this. But then, no system is foolproof.

The best thing should be that readers themselves report the story...and take the time to click that bloody report button.
 
I have not been able to read more than one page of 50 Shades.

I saw in some other place you said it was very misogynistic and I was curious why you thought that.

I actually am interested in the film. Only because Sam Taylor-Wood directed it. A strong, successful woman definitely not misogynist and also happens to be like 20 years older than her partner. Im curious what she's going to do with it.



Yes they are. I spend time volunteering at a shelter for women who have been abused in domestic situations or raped. I teach a self defense course. It helps them learn to defend themselves if ever in that spot again. but more importantly gives some confidence and self esteem back to them.

Over the years there have been occasions where I have met their ex who is still stalking them.

You are half right, they are dangerous, but 90% of the time only to women. They are about as loathsome and pathetic an individual as you can find. I was raised around men like that and saw what they did, I went the other way. There some who consider me potentially dangerous, but its never towards women. I am a confirmed man hater (that type anyway) so am very familiar with that type.

As for the "dangerous dom"? They are out there and without getting into a long debate about it I will say that 50 Shades of Gray was not only a repulsive book that glorified that type of man, but sent naive women of all ages out there looking for him.
 
Back
Top