Bitching about Boston

Is the clash of the Titan weather fronts, happening somewhere? Plenty of thunder and rain, here. It is a strong and enthusiastic, "tropical breeze."
 
He did it to Boston. Now, the whole country can suffer with us.

Vote Romney and cry!

Mitt Romney ran for governor claiming his corporate experience made him uniquely qualified to grow the economy and decrease debt.

Here’s what Massachusetts got instead:

Long-term debt: Increased more than $2.6 billion
Bigger government: State spending increased more than $6 billion
Slower job growth: 47th out of 50 states in job creation
Higher taxes and fees: Increased by $750 million per year

BarackObama.com
KeepingHisWord.com
KeepingGOPHonest.com
AttackWatch.com
 
I have known sunshowers, all of my life. But, thunder sun showers ? Is this a Mid-West thing? There is still thunder, over the hill.
 
The only (free) bear on Cape Cod, reached P-Town last night. Will the black bear stay there, for the summer?
 
You cannot get there, from here. It is flooded.

Patrick on Monday declared a state of emergency as Boston faced the third large rainstorm of the month.

With 12.84 inches of rainfall recorded so far this month, Boston has already broken its record for the wettest March – 11 inches of rainfall in March 1953, according to the National Weather Service, where archives go back to 1872.

This March has also become the fourth wettest month overall in the history of Boston, and is creeping toward the record-setting 17.09 inches of rainfall in August 1955. With an additional 1.5 to 2.5 inches of rainfall expected between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. today, this March could become the second wettest month ever recorded, the weather service said.

The water has no place to go. … The communities of Massachusetts are waterlogged.”

Flood warnings were extended for
Merrimack River at Lowell,
Nashua River at East Pepperell,
North Nashua River at Fitchburg,
Spicket River near Methuen,
Squannacook River at West Groton,
Shawsheen River near Wilmington, and
Blackstone River at Northbridge.
Assabet River at Maynard,
Sudbury River at Framingham,
Concord River at Lowell,
Charles River at Dover,
Neponset River at Norwood.
Pumps are now operating in Littleton where a culvert collapsed on Monday, causing concerns about water levels in Spectacle Pond
Lexington got help. Quickly. humphhh
How are the water levels around Andover? *snerk*
Next door to Lawrence, MA, are'nt they?

Still bitching about Boston, forget it, move out to Lexington; as you note Lexington got help. I lived there in 1955, working at LG Hanscomb AFB . USAF Major ... I moved to the west coast ... the flood water is warmer out here but at my age I don't give a damn.
 
They cornered the Cape Cod Bear, tonight.

Wellfleet Police confirmed that they captured a bear Monday night.

The Cape Cod bear was captured near Gull Pond Road in Wellfleet around dusk Monday , according to Wellfleet resident
who said she saw the bear under the control of state wildlife officials.

The officials said that they would be relocating the bear

The bear was seen in Truro this morning, heading into Wellfleet, police said.

The weekend scene may have been too much for the young male bear that almost crashed a wedding party Saturday in Provincetown.

It’s likely this is the first bear that’s ever been seen on the Cape in modern times.
(What happened to all the bears?)
 
BOSTON—Historic documents dating back to the War of 1812 are being displayed at the Massachusetts State House.

Secretary of State William Galvin opened the exhibition Friday. The documents will be displayed in Doric Hall at the capitol.

Articles on display include a legislative resolve for the defense of Boston, dating back to February 1813, and a document that details
various things required by the Quartermaster General and Commissioners for Sea Coast Defense to protect the city and surrounding
areas from sea invasion.

A resolution adopted by the House of Representatives in February 1813 that praises Navy captains and their crews for
their conduct in overtaking British ships is also on exhibit.

The original copies of these documents are housed in the Massachusetts Archives.
 
I know the winds that blow, throughout New England. They have kept me company since the day that I was born. I have known some
of the winds of our fair land. I have had a wandering kind of life. Each place has their own winds. The winds that blew through my new
home, may not have visited the area for 30 years. But, I knew them well. They were from one of my most favorite places. They did not
belong to my new home. This Spring, a strange and powerful wind, blew very close to my home. I knew it to be an alien wind. Forebode.
 
Those were not the usual bang fire crackers, used to scare the coyotes. The reports from tonight's sets, were deep throated. What is there, to be celebrated?
 
Boston drivers are reminded that Monday, June 18, 2012, is Bunker Hill Day in Suffolk County and holiday parking regulations will be in effect as outlined below.

-- Parking will be free at the 8,000 metered spaces in Boston. However, the time limit at meters will be monitored and enforced.

-- Street Cleaning regulations will be enforced as Boston’s streets will be swept in accordance with the posted schedule.

-- All other parking regulations will be in effect, except where the parking regulation sign specifically states that parking at the location is exempt on “Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.”

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...king-regulations-for-bunker-hill-day-june-18/
 
Nice, cool 95F temp in Boston after midnight. Those who are on vacation are lucky to be out of town. Except for the seal beach.
The Great White sharks are back. And the people who bought summer cottages in Epping New Hampshire -Gun Range’s Neighbors:
‘It’s Like Living In Iraq' The gunfire can be heard seven days a week, often from 8 in the morning until 8 at night. The last straw
was a flash bang set off during a training exercise across the street.“It sounded like a bomb. That’s how noisy it was. It rattled
the house.” Your anti- terrorism dollars at work.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/20/epping-nh-gun-ranges-neighbors-its-like-living-in-iraq/
 
“Cities in the hot spot, like Norfolk, New York, and Boston, already experience damaging floods during relatively low-intensity storms,” said
Asbury Sallenger, a Geological Survey oceanographer and lead author of the study in the journal Nature Climate Change. “Accelerated sea-
level rise,” he said, will add to “the height that storm surges and breaking waves reach on the coast.”

“The threats of sea-level rise are significant,” said Bruce Carlisle, director of the state Office of Coastal Zone Management.

“The future flooding we’ve mapped ... all along the coastal fringe of Boston Harbor could happen even sooner than we’ve been anticipating,” she said.
“Ultimately, this could mean transportation disruptions, storm drain backups, basements flooding, and a lot of heartache for those who work and live in Boston.”

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...obally_government_report_finds/?p1=News_links
 
Two thick straight towers of cloud rose up from the town. I have never seen the like, before.

Congestus – great verticsal development and heaped into cauliflower shapes – indicates considerable airmass instability and strong upcurrents.

A convective cloud that shows large vertical extend, but has not yet reached the precipitation stage. Congestus is Latin for "piled-up".

Is this something that is a familiar sight, to someone in another state?
 

Coming soon to a location near you !!


OpSail 2012 will sail into Boston from June 30 – July 5, 2012 to commemorate the 200TH Anniversary of the War of 1812 and The Star-Spangled Banner.





Contest_banner.jpg



blueangels_main.jpg




 
Ah! They are coming back! We had a huge grand gathering of tall ships. It seems like it was an age, ago. Some returned for visits.
 
Mass. lawmakers approve price sticker bill
June 25, 2012

Massachusetts lawmakers have approved a bill that would no longer require food store owners to place individual price stickers on each item for sale in their shops.

Under the law, owners would instead be allowed to place price scanners throughout their stores. Customers could use the scanners to determine the cost of an item.

Consumer advocates oppose the measure.

They say similar scanners in other stores have been unreliable, forcing consumers to play "guess the price" before heading to the checkout line.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...bill/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Massachusetts+news

What was J.P. Morgan's comment, about able to afford it ?
 
I do not know where they re-located the black bear that took a tour of Cape Cod. This may have been a different bear. Both were tagged.

The bear was spotted Tuesday morning in a tree in Brookline's upscale Chestnut Hill neighborhood. An environmental police officer perched
in a cherry picker and fired the dart at the bear, said Reginald Zimmerman, a spokesman for the state office of Energy and Environmental Affairs.

The startled bear initially climbed farther up the tree before tumbling about 80 feet to the ground.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/broo...e_cod_black_bear_recaptured_in_boston_suburb/

The comment was, that it will be more common to see black bears, and we had better get used to it.
 
This thread is so funny it makes us look like a state where nothing happens, which is just how I like it :cool:
 
Visiting ships-

Cisne Branco
Brazilian. Built in 1998, she's a newbie on the Tall Ship circuit. Her home port is Rio De Janeiro.

Dewaruci
Indonesian. A barquentine, she's a training vessel for the Indonesian navy.

Gloria
Columbian. Colombia's official flagship and naval training vessel.

Guayas
Ecuadorian. Another naval training ship.

http://charlestown.patch.com/articles/boston-tall-ships-schedule-2012-b35d5f81

It is not the glorious, overwhelming, crowding of Heinz 57 varieties of tall ships. But, it will be nice to the the usual set of visitors.
 
Boston Police Patrolmen's Union under fire-

The comments in the current issue of Pax Centurion, The Boston Police Patrolmen’s Union newsletter sparked outrage on social media websites.

Among the controversial comments in the newsletter, there were references to the Occupy Boston demonstrators as
“spoiled snots playing professional protester," Muslim women who "have to wear baggy dresses and veils at all times"
and Senate Candidate Elizabeth Warren as "your candidate for squaw."

Lojack is pulling its ads

Harpoon Brewery which tweeted "We don't support the views in the BPPA Newsletter & won't put an ad in there again.”

“Once we found out about some of the content of their newsletter, we felt that their values were inconsistent with
our own and we choose to no longer advertise with the newsletter,” said Kalimah Knight, Simmons College.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12007869890443/boston-police-patrolmen-s-union-under-fire/
 
Needham, MA

July 2, 2012

All year long Martha Karolyi, the women’s national team coordinator, had said that Aly Raisman was exactly the kind of gymnast
the Americans needed in London. Rock solid, consistent, unshakable. Everybody had her penciled in for the five-member team
for this month’s Games. But until Raisman confirmed it on two evenings here at HP Pavilion, her place wasn’t certain. Now, it is.

“I was really, really emotional, way more than I thought I would be,” the Needham native said Sunday night after she’d been named
to the Olympic squad along with Jordyn Wieber, McKayla Maroney, Kyla Ross, and Gabrielle Douglas, the “Flying Squirrel” who earned
the automatic spot by upsetting Wieber, the reigning world and domestic champion, to win the trials by .1 points.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_..._jonathan_horton_jake_dalton_and_sam_mikulak/
 
We have yet another horrible thing, to lay at the door of Wall Street and the 1%.
The corporate gobbling, of well respected and trusted American fireworks companies.

Now, after the July 4th fireworks have long since passed, they are finding random unexploded fireworks underfoot.
Don't run them over with your lawnmower. The results are not good, when they go off. One little town will be suing.
 
Fourth of July unhappiness-

The Lions were working throughout the day and evening. It was quite busy with customers from 4:30 p.m. up until the fireworks started.
He counted the money around 9 p.m. and placed the money-box in his vehicle which was parked right next to their station. Sometime
right before the fireworks began, a hyena snuck into the lion's den and robbed their kill, so to speak.

Who pays the price ? The children who lost their places at the camp, because of the missing money. That everyone worked for.
 
Back
Top