The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me like you're talking about story telling more than about writing.

There is a difference?

One of the first things that caught my attention was this line, 'Write with your heart. When it is finished is the time to use your brain for the editing process'. Once I figured this out for myself, my writing got better and went faster and far smoother. There are a lot of nuggets like that in this movie.

In the not-too-distant past I regularly downloaded film scripts -- to read, and visualize. I found that many exciting films had flimsy fucking scripts, and some seeming throw-aways were VERY well-written. Moral: Stories depend on more than writing, and vice versa.

Re: Horseradish

Awww, where's your sense of adventure? It's a very creamy cheese with a bit of tang and a kick. Of course, the blueberry waffles sound sinfully delicious too.

I once had horseradish sauce; served with a venison steak. I took a tiny bit
and spent the rest of the night suffering a burnt mouth.
So: Horseradish ? No thanks, I've been there.
I don't think I've had bluberries,. . . . I must look in my local shops.

To me, storytelling was more of an oral art and writers had to write everything down Both do the same thing with as little or as much detail as the story requires. Writing is more formalized with a lot more rules to break.

Movie scripts are nowhere near a movie. You have the original writer, the screen writer, the actors interpretation the directors interpretation, first cut, second cut, remix, so on and so forth. Sounds more like a story by community.

Before I piss everyone off, I think I will make coffee. Later, there will be a select few blueberry pancakes available since I made more batter yesterday than needed.

In the not-too-distant past I regularly downloaded film scripts -- to read, and visualize. I found that many exciting films had flimsy fucking scripts, and some seeming throw-aways were VERY well-written. Moral: Stories depend on more than writing, and vice versa.

To me, storytelling was more of an oral art and writers had to write everything down Both do the same thing with as little or as much detail as the story requires. Writing is more formalized with a lot more rules to break.

Movie scripts are nowhere near a movie. You have the original writer, the screen writer, the actors interpretation the directors interpretation, first cut, second cut, remix, so on and so forth. Sounds more like a story by community.

I actually entered a cinematic short story contest recently and they evaluated my story based on the criteria of plot, characterization, concept, originality, voice, style, dialogue, conflict, pacing, theme, tone and cinematic adaptation potential. The verdict seemed to be good, but not good enough. However, they did give me a list of points to improve it and I had to agree. So, I'm going to make the changes and see where it leads me. :rolleyes:

Eggs and sausage for breakfast this morning. Thankfully, it's a day at home to get things done. I think I need a list to check twice so I know I got everything done.

^^^Agreed.

Well, two cups of coffee and a ham-and-cheese omelet and now maybe I can figure out what I meant last night.

Story telling is part of everyone's oral tradition. I expect it's existed as long as language and far longer than writing. Story telling implies a relationship between the speaker and the listener that doesn't exist in most writing.

From your description of the movie, it sounded like they built a relationship with you as a viewer, so it became more like story telling than normal writing.

Writing is sometimes pretty bad at story telling and that's likely to be more true with plays and movie scripts where visual and active elements--not just writing--are used to tell the story.

I was involved in the nightly rewrites of the unfolding film script for The Deerhunter (just cleaning up the script for the next day's shooting) and remember thinking almost nightly, "Where in the hell are they going now? This wasn't the direction they were going last night." By the time I was doing the same thing for The Killing Fields, I'd learned to just go with it.

Before I piss everyone off, I think I will make coffee. Later, there will be a select few blueberry pancakes available since I made more batter yesterday than needed.

As I understand it, the true telling of stories requires that the teller kinows his audience.
Think about it for a moment; No good telling a story of War to a bunch of acutely peaceful folk, is it.

No, I believe that the teller moulds the essence of the story; it has the essential elements and probably the same ending but how the characters got there may not be quiite the same.

Are you pancakes the same as ours, please?
I could fancy some of that. . . .

Ah, coffee with eggnog for creamer. Just the thing to keep a mama bear going on Christmas Eve. Ho ho ho.

I must say, the spacing of things this year has been much more conducive to staying relaxed. Saturday hit and I felt happier than I've been for a while. Finishing up baking and present wrapping for tomorrow.

:rose: Hope everyone else has found time to enjoy the season.

Ah, coffee with eggnog for creamer. Just the thing to keep a mama bear going on Christmas Eve. Ho ho ho.

I must say, the spacing of things this year has been much more conducive to staying relaxed. Saturday hit and I felt happier than I've been for a while. Finishing up baking and present wrapping for tomorrow.

:rose: Hope everyone else has found time to enjoy the season.

Well, for the most part, yes.
I've discovered that my creased tastebuds are not too keen on Mincemeat as used in Mince pies. This is a bit of a disappointment.
I hope it does not affect my Port, tomorrow
:kiss:

Well, for the most part, yes.
I've discovered that my creased tastebuds are not too keen on Mincemeat as used in Mince pies. This is a bit of a disappointment.
I hope it does not affect my Port, tomorrow
:kiss:

Sorry to hear that. :kiss: I used to love mincemeat myself but it's a bit rich for my taste these days.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

My youngest won't be in town until late on the 26th, so our gift-giving is postponed 'till then, but it's still Christmas eve now.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

My youngest won't be in town until late on the 26th, so our gift-giving is postponed 'till then, but it's still Christmas eve now.

Any coffee left, please ?
[Santa will enter Hawaian Airspace in about 15 minutes.]

It's not a bad morning so far, but it's a trifle early.
Merry Christmas every one

Other than the temp being slightly below freezing my ass off, it is a beautiful day. Merry, Ho Ho Ho, everyone.

The coffee should be ready shortly. Help your self and beware the rum and brandy under the counter. ;)

Does Santa have a Kinky list to go along with the naughty and nice one? If not, what happens when a nice young lady asks for nipple clamps or a butt plug? Do they automatically get put on the naughty list? Where can I get a copy of that list so i can check it twice?

So many questions, so few answers but a lot of plot bunnies for next years winter contest. :D

Other than the temp being slightly below freezing my ass off, it is a beautiful day. Merry, Ho Ho Ho, everyone.

The coffee should be ready shortly. Help your self and beware the rum and brandy under the counter. ;)

Does Santa have a Kinky list to go along with the naughty and nice one? If not, what happens when a nice young lady asks for nipple clamps or a butt plug? Do they automatically get put on the naughty list? Where can I get a copy of that list so i can check it twice?

So many questions, so few answers but a lot of plot bunnies for next years winter contest. :D

You've raised an interesting question, ain'tchyer ?
Would a "nice young lady" ask those kind of questions ? Even in these more enlightened days.

The coffee's fine thank.

You've raised an interesting question, ain'tchyer ?
Would a "nice young lady" ask those kind of questions ? Even in these more enlightened days.

The coffee's fine thank.

There are so many questions and so little time. :D

This is way too early but I'm awake so...

It is 42 outside and feels like 39. The high is expected to be 47 with a 90% chance of rain. A beautiful day, don't you think.

After the coffee gets made, I'm thinking hot oatmeal. That should at least warm the insides up.

It's over. Whew.

Now there's recovery to be made, trash to haul, supplies to replenish, emails to blearily answer, chores to tend. Why do warning lights flash? Who is that on the sofa? What is prowling in the meadow? Where is the rest of the coffee?

Which are worse -- questions, or answers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back