Media is part to blame

In these weird times, I am starting to partially blame the media. Promoting hate, racism etc.
CNN hates the Republicans.
FOX hates the Democrats.

There is no “fair and balanced”. It is all opinions. From Laura, to Don, to the folks they interview.

I just want the damn news. What is going on the world. Interviews and opinions can be left aside.

Try watching Aljizz or Euronews sometime if you want to see how the other 95.23% of the World’s Population sees what’s going on.

I’ve had a thing lately for a certain woman’s body; she has great tits and big lips and she’s definitely interested, so I was thinking about her while another woman sucked my cock last nite.

Great orgasm; I’m pretty sure my aljizz leaked out her ears, praise allah.

I don’t want to spend 10 dollars a month on PBS. Sorry.

If you get a "not available in your region" use Tor. It's a free browser that bypasses that sort of thing.

You can get a lot of youtube shit that they block in the US for whatever reason.

If you have a brain you can filter any of the media down to figuring it out for yourself. It's no one's fault except for the Trump rats and those who have been and are being fooled by them.

Exactly. As long as you have access to blatant lies from more than one source (preferably by two radically opposite sources) you have chance to infer, or at least construct an informed guess, what the truth may be. Most of time the basic facts are already there, it's the interpretation and opinions that differ.

In these weird times, I am starting to partially blame the media. Promoting hate, racism etc.
FOX hates the Democrats.

There is no “fair and balanced”. It is all opinions. From Laura, to Don, to the folks they interview.

I just want the damn news. What is going on the world. Interviews and opinions can be left aside.

★★★★★

I listen to NPR (to the extent I can stand it).

It's completely bent. It's a joke.

What's terrifying is the knowledge that there are people who actually believe that shite. That explains the stupid in this country.

What's hilarious is that the incumbent President of the U.S. is a creation of the media. He played them like a fiddle.

They made him.

In essence, media is basically a collection of professional gossips and busybodies. They manufacture noise and entertainment. Their sole job is to attract eyeballs and ears— they will say and do anything to accomplish that goal.

Truth? What's that?

FOX hates the Democrats.

They have to sell advertising for 24/7 programming. So they need good and bad guys to generate drama. Politicians and political groups have turned it into their version of pro wrestling. Fox News perfected it and the others have finally figured it out too. Its all about getting viewers to generate the ad revenue.

★★★★★

What's terrifying is the knowledge that there are people who actually believe that shite. That explains the stupid in this country.

Well, if you say so.

They have to sell advertising for 24/7 programming. So they need good and bad guys to generate drama. Politicians and political groups have turned it into their version of pro wrestling. Fox News perfected it and the others have finally figured it out too. Its all about getting viewers to generate the ad revenue.

That's a great explanation for the commercial part.

The other part- the political partisanship, propaganda part- isn't entirely clear to me.

It's gone beyond simple bias - each channel has now become a mouthpiece for their political party, a deliberate instrument of political indoctrination.

What's their incentive?
(Because regardless of political affiliation, most people are in the middle. They don't mind bias, but obvious propaganda annoys them so some will switch off the channel. And that offsets a bit the other financial gains.)
Do political parties finance them?

The other part- the political partisanship, propaganda part- isn't entirely clear to me.

It's gone beyond simple bias - each channel has now become a mouthpiece for their political party, a deliberate instrument of political indoctrination.

What's their incentive?
(Because regardless of political affiliation, most people are in the middle. They don't mind bias, but obvious propaganda annoys them so some will switch off the channel. And that offsets a bit the other financial gains.)

Either Rupert Murdoch is a real RW ideologue, or he is satisfied that he has hit on a winning business model -- either way, all his media outlets are definitely RW. That political niche being filled, other networks have to find other niches to compete.

FOX hates the Democrats.

It’s not the media, and you really should’t think that. Having said that, I wouldn’t watch either of the two channels you listed.

Actually, I take that back. I have seen a lot of racist, fear mongering crap come from Fox.

Last edited:
You think that was a bad idea? If so, how come?

I didn't post an opinion, I posted a fact which I believe is relevant to the thread. This Board has dissected the Fairness Doctrine in a thread a couple of years ago.

What I think is that I grew up at a time when the news was read to us by journalists. Most people don't seem to understand that when they watch Maddow or Hannity they are not listening to unbiased factual information.

It would be helpful if networks were required to at least remind people of that fact.

Hogan, you should keep trying. Eventually you will find a topic of which I care enough about to roll around in the mud with you.

Last edited:

★★★★★

I've been listening to NPR for at least 30 years and never yet caught them in a factual error.

I didn't post an opinion, I posted a fact which I believe is relevant to the thread. This Board has dissected the Fairness Doctrine in a thread a couple of years ago.

That's right. You didn't. Which is exactly why I asked you for one.

What I think is that I grew up at a time when the news was read to us by journalists. Most people don't seem to understand that when they watch Maddow or Hannity they are not listening to unbiased factual information.

It would be helpful if networks were required to at least remind people of that fact.

Well, it isn't quite on the order of the Fairness Doctrine, but those two at least sound like opinions.

I think the first statement is sadly too true. Even worse, Maddow and Hannity go to great lengths to create that impression. So, I basically agree with you. How 'bout that?

Disagree, however, on the second -- not that it wouldn't arguably be helpful. I suppose it might. But any legal requirement that networks should be REQUIRED to routinely issue such a reminder would violate the First Amendment of the Constitution. Editorial pages in any newspaper or magazine are not "required" to be branded as such.

Now....was that really all that muddy?

I've been listening to NPR for at least 30 years and never yet caught them in a factual error.
I once heard Robert Siegel describe an erupting volcano by saying it was spewing "hot gash and asses," and he never corrected himself.

Did you check the "facts" against RationalWiki, just to be sure?

Sure seems odd that you, a good commie, would never disagree with such and even-handed organization.

What's their incentive?

Their incentive is ratings, which leads to revenue. Fox News has cultivated a rather loyal audience. Their ratings have been very consistent over the past several decades. That typically allows them to charge their advertisers more than others news channels can.

While there may well be some political motivation behind each of the news channels, don't ever make the mistake of thinking this isn't about the bottom line. CNN, MSNBC, etc. weren't/aren't going to take viewers away from Fox News. Their viewers are way too loyal after so long. So those channels go after viewers that don't watch Fox News. Why? Because that is where the potential ratings are. Not because they necessarily love liberals/democrats.

If Fox News ever starts to tank in the ratings, look for their programming to adjust accordingly. Never forget that it's a business. It's what CNN and MSNBC did.

Their incentive is ratings, which leads to revenue. Fox News has cultivated a rather loyal audience. Their ratings have been very consistent over the past several decades. That typically allows them to charge their advertisers more than others news channels can.

While there may well be some political motivation behind each of the news channels, don't ever make the mistake of thinking this isn't about the bottom line. CNN, MSNBC, etc. weren't/aren't going to take viewers away from Fox News. Their viewers are way too loyal after so long. So those channels go after viewers that don't watch Fox News. Why? Because that is where the potential ratings are. Not because they necessarily love liberals/democrats.

If Fox News ever starts to tank in the ratings, look for their programming to adjust accordingly. Never forget that it's a business. It's what CNN and MSNBC did.

Thanks, pooks.

This reminded me of the overused but on point "Orwell versus Huxley" analogy.
Most of us keep saying "Trump and RCWers are Hitler!" or "A totalitarian Leftist government is on our doorstep!" "X or Y hate us!"
When in fact we're inhabiting Huxley's boring nightmare, and we're seen as nothing more than faceless cows to be milked.

Back