FAWC 5: Line, Please!

A vegan Vampire? Would she even swallow?

I couldn't resist. :D

LOL Actually my beta reader and I are going over various pieces of vampire lore to see what works and what doesn't and what makes logical sense within my little bubble. It's funny in a geeky way.

Sorry so late to the party, but I wanted to contribute this.

My story Mystery Night:

I had no intention at all of participating in the excercise. I've got three other open projects running and had decided to bore in on them and complete them.

I saw the thread and out of curiosity peeped in to see what the theme was. I read the line and thought, "What an odd array." Half an hour later I was showering and getting ready for bed. As per usual, the muses were tossing ideas for the running stories when suddenly three objects are mentioned.

I pushed that aside and lay down to attempt sleep. Now one muse is working....A threesome. I hit the idea of the blindfold right away, I figured the book and knife would appear sooner or later. Sadly during the writing, I was fighting with the mystery guest. Several times I thought about giving her an identity but in the end decided the wife wanted her to be a mystery and left it at that.

I struggled to get the book and knife involved. Having the book be a baby name book was the idea that worked best for me. I did toy with having that night be the conception but thought..."If they fail will he get another threesome?"

The knife being a steak knife was my admission that I had no clue what else to do with it.

I did notice a couple of other things in general.

One, no one that I can recall used the *table* as anything other than the flat surface that held the items. I think the closest may have been "A Craving for Brandy," when the main character is envisioning Brandy on the table. The table was nearly always something small, like a nightstand or a coffee table. If someone did and I forgot, my apologies.

I skirted it in my story but never did anything with it. In the first mystery excerpt, the table is a vanity in a hotel room. In the last one, the three characters are seated around the table that holds the items.

I also started a story in which the items themselves were the characters, including the table. I had some grand plans, but couldn't quite figure out a conflict to drive the story. The best I had was little Swiss Army Knife that dreamed of having more accessories. It was being done in a humorous vein, but like I said, I couldn't get enough of a handle on it to make it all work.

SR used the Ping pong table.

I did notice a couple of other things in general.

One, no one that I can recall used the *table* as anything other than the flat surface that held the items. I think the closest may have been "A Craving for Brandy," when the main character is envisioning Brandy on the table. The table was nearly always something small, like a nightstand or a coffee table. If someone did and I forgot, my apologies.

I skirted it in my story but never did anything with it. In the first mystery excerpt, the table is a vanity in a hotel room. In the last one, the three characters are seated around the table that holds the items.

I also started a story in which the items themselves were the characters, including the table. I had some grand plans, but couldn't quite figure out a conflict to drive the story. The best I had was little Swiss Army Knife that dreamed of having more accessories. It was being done in a humorous vein, but like I said, I couldn't get enough of a handle on it to make it all work.

Any more thoughts on the use of the items from the table? How that line spawned a variety of concepts? Favorites?

My favorite was probably Inspiration/Desperation. The objects on the table for the painters. I thought it was heavily symbolic of the process many of our minds must have went through as we painted our own story.

I had this same idea. Even started one, as a little side thing. In mine, the table was in love with the book and the hankie, and then the knife came and pierced them both on top of the table while it just had to sit there uselessly. It was like a personified LW tale. Boy did it suck.

I had this same idea. Even started one, as a little side thing. In mine, the table was in love with the book and the hankie, and then the knife came and pierced them both on top of the table while it just had to sit there uselessly. It was like a personified LW tale. Boy did it suck.

LOL I'm sure it wasn't that bad.

In mine, the table was perpetually grumpy and jealous of the other items, because they got to leave the room and he was stuck there. The room was going to be a bedroom and I figured I could have a bit of a voyeur element as the items watched the guy bring home different women. Also, the items would change -- different book, different handkerchief -- and I had intended to introduce one or two more, such as a lamp and a clock. And through it all would be the Swiss Army Knife wanting more items because then it could be really useful, or so it thought.

In mine, the table was perpetually grumpy and jealous of the other items, because they got to leave the room and he was stuck there. The room was going to be a bedroom and I figured I could have a bit of a voyeur element as the items watched the guy bring home different women. Also, the items would change -- different book, different handkerchief -- and I had intended to introduce one or two more, such as a lamp and a clock. And through it all would be the Swiss Army Knife wanting more items because then it could be really useful, or so it thought.

Very Terry Pratchet meets Virginia Woolf. Kew Gardens, Disc World-style!

If you say so. :) That'd be totally accidental as I have never read either Pratchett or Woolf.

People used to say that my writing was very "David Lynch" in college and I was like, "The Twin Peaks guy? I don't remember anything in there about blue rhinos." Then I watched Eraserhead and realized it was insult. :p (I kid!)

People used to say that my writing was very "David Lynch" in college and I was like, "The Twin Peaks guy? I don't remember anything in there about blue rhinos." Then I watched Eraserhead and realized it was insult. :p (I kid!)

What? There was no blue rhino in "Twin Peaks?" How'd that happen? ;)

Be. Our. Guest.
Be our guest, put our service to the test...

I see dancing cups and candlesticks in the background. :D

I hadn't even thought of taking a object-characterization Toy Story type of approach. That would have been kicky (and now my mind is spinning one).

Way up the line, Slyc posted that there would be one story that popped out at all of us as soon as we saw it. Several popped out at me. Wonder which one he was referring to. Maybe "Empire"(?)

Any pop out of this group to others?

I hadn't even thought of taking a object-characterization Toy Story type of approach. That would have been kicky (and now my mind is spinning one).

Way up the line, Slyc posted that there would be one story that popped out at all of us as soon as we saw it. Several popped out at me. Wonder which one he was referring to. Maybe "Empire"(?)

I think you have the right of it. Empires popped out at me too. Others did the kind of "parody" thing but not quite as direct and unique as that. It stands out in my my mind.

I must say there's a part of me that wants to go back and finish the story I started. I guess there's no reason I need to use these items, but sometimes when I get started with a story it's hard to go back and revise it from the ground up.

Not sure if Empire was the story he meant, but I can tell you it was the one he was talking about when he said he wrote to the author because he thought it wasn't finished. :)

Not sure if Empire was the story he meant, but I can tell you it was the one he was talking about when he said he wrote to the author because he thought it wasn't finished. :)

That comes as a surprise. There is another one in the mix that is so obviously not finished that commenters said they looked in vein for the next page.

As for "Empire," I'll swim against the stream and suggest that you not rewrite it for the general file. While being perfect pitch in approach for an exercise such as FAWC, I believe it's too "writerly" and subtle to be understood/appreciated in the general file. I think the response there to any rewrite would be a disappointment to you for the extra effort you put into it. Just my opinion, of course. That doesn't take anything away from the story in the venue in which it was placed.

That comes as a surprise. There is another one in the mix that is so obviously not finished that commenters said they looked in vein for the next page.

Which one was that? I know I've forgotten a lot of details because of my binge reading, but I don't recall thinking any story was unfinished.

The problem was, I think, that slyc skimmed it and since all of the false starts ended mid-sentence and then were followed by italicized "notes," he thought I'd sent an unfinished draft.

As for "Empire," I'll swim against the stream and suggest that you not rewrite it for the general file. While being perfect pitch in approach for an exercise such as FAWC, I believe it's too "writerly" and subtle to be understood/appreciated in the general file. I think the response there to any rewrite would be a disappointment to you for the extra effort you put into it. Just my opinion, of course. That doesn't take anything away from the story in the venue in which it was placed.

Well, thanks. At the moment I've left it up unchanged on my author's page. I hate pulling stories down, so I'll just let it go. I may even put it up on a couple of other sites, leaving an explanation at the top, although I fully expect it wouldn't go over so well there, either. Maybe not.

An Account for A Bullet

Hey, FAWCkers, I finally got around to making my additions to "An Account for A Bullet" and reposting it. Thank you for your input and comments! FAWC 5 has been my favorite writiting and reading activity so far this year. Here's the link, I'd love to know what you think about the longer version:

www.literotica.com/s/an-account-for-a-bullet

Who else has made changes and re-posted since we wrapped up the last FAWC?

Back