My Favorite Quotes

re

"Money matters only because it can buy power, and power matters only if it is exercised with imagination and without conscience"​

Henri Matisse

I am told that Chinese teachers taught their students that when you want to draw a tree, feel as if you were climbing it.

Dalai Lama

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

re

"All of a sudden your dead past comes alive and catches up with you, with the consequence that you have to make the most wretching confession you've ever made in your life to the one person in the whole world whose opinion of you matters desperately"​

Gustavo Adolfo Becquer

The soul that can speak through the eyes can also kiss with a gaze.

Hu Shih

Only when we realize that there is no eternal, unchanging truth or absolute truth can we arouse in ourselves a sense of intellectual responsibility.

re

"Some repay loyalty with faithlessness and give no thought to their own final hours, when they might have to ask another to grant them the mercy that they withheld from those who trusted them"​

Xi Zhi

You should examine yourself daily. If you find faults, you should correct them. When you find none, you should try even harder.

Friedrich Nietzsche

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

George Bernard Shaw

You see things, and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were, and I say 'Why not?'

Dennis Wholey

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

William Butler Yeats

The trees are in their autumn beauty,
The woodland paths are dry,
Under the October twilight the water
Mirrors a still sky.​

re

"Its only life, we all get through it. Not all of us complete the journey in the same condition"​

Rabindranath Tagore

The same stream of life that runs through the world runs through my veins night and day and dances in rhythmic measure. It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth into the numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of flowers.

"More often than not, a hero's most epic battle is the one you never see; its the battle that goes on within him or herself"​

Henry David Thoreau

As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.

re

You and I have practically hijacked this thread as our own BS;

"The sky is deep, the sky is dark. The light of stars is so damn stark. When I look up, I fill with fear. If all we have is what lies here, this lonely world, this troubled place, then cold dead stars and empty space.... Well, I see no reason to persevere, no reason to laugh or shed a tear, no reason to sleep or ever to wake, no promises to keep and none to make. And so at night I still raise my eyes to study the clear but mysterious skies that arch above us, as cold as stone. Are you there, God? Are we alone?​

The Book Of Counted Sorrows

Ryokan

You and I have practically hijacked this thread as our own BS;

"The sky is deep, the sky is dark. The light of stars is so damn stark. When I look up, I fill with fear. If all we have is what lies here, this lonely world, this troubled place, then cold dead stars and empty space.... Well, I see no reason to persevere, no reason to laugh or shed a tear, no reason to sleep or ever to wake, no promises to keep and none to make. And so at night I still raise my eyes to study the clear but mysterious skies that arch above us, as cold as stone. Are you there, God? Are we alone?​

The Book Of Counted Sorrows

For now, yes, it certainly does, Yogi.

How can I possibly sleep this moonlit evening? Come, my friends, let's sing and dance all night long. Stretched out, tipsy, under the vast sky: splendid dreams beneath the cherry blossoms. Wild roses, plucked from fields full of croaking frogs: float them in your wine and enjoy every minute.

St. Fancis of Assisi

He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

Back