Katherine (Closed for DarelHute)

She was pleased that he was comfortable and watched him take a seat opposite her.

"I met your husband on the field of battle. He told me he noticed how I fight and was impressed by my skill with the sword and how I lead my men. I had a small cavalry division under my command. He called me in and asked me to stand by his side, and be his right hand. This was a few years ago... Since then I saved him a few times in battle, and he saved me a few times..."

She was pleased that Robert had been with someone with whom he had been so close.

"And I assure you, milady, this is not an onerous task... I mean, being here, by your side protecting you. Delivering the bad news was indeed difficult..."

She nodded understanding his meaning.

"There is no easy way of delivering such bad news, but I thank you for the manner in which you did so. And of course you are welcome here, for as long as you feel it takes for you to discharge your promise to my husband. If Robert thought it necessary that you be by my side, then I would not countermand my husband's last wishes."

She told him smiling sadly as she thought of Robert making plans for her safety even as he lay dying. She went silent, ensuring that she held onto her composure before continuing.

"We only had 6 months together. Did you know that?"

She wondered if Robert had spoken of her and if so what he had said, but something stopped her from asking her visitor.
 
"There is no easy way of delivering such bad news, but I thank you for the manner in which you did so. And of course you are welcome here, for as long as you feel it takes for you to discharge your promise to my husband. If Robert thought it necessary that you be by my side, then I would not countermand my husband's last wishes."

He listened to her silently, looking into her eyes as she spoke, smiling at her welcoming words. He gave her space, respecting the silence she seemed to need.

"We only had 6 months together. Did you know that?"

"No, I did not... We rarely spoke of... women..." he said smiling. "We spoke of war and strategy, swords and horses. Only once he mentioned he missed his wife, but he never mentioned how young and beautiful she was!" he added, instantly blushing.
 
"No, I did not... We rarely spoke of... women... We spoke of war and strategy, swords and horses. Only once he mentioned he missed his wife, but he never mentioned how young and beautiful she was!"

His words surprised her and even though it was inappropriate his words made her chuckle.

"Robert thought so ... "

She reminisced.

"... yet though he was determined that we should wed, he took the time to let me get to know him, to gain my consent."

She sighed.

"My father's consent was not enough for him. He wanted a bride to come to him willingly ... and I did ... "

It was her turn to blush. She had been a naïve 19 year old, yet after only 6 months of marriage, she was only slightly less naïve now at 21.
It had not entered her mind that she might not be able to simply remain her as Robert's widow.
 
"Robert thought so ... yet though he was determined that we should wed, he took the time to let me get to know him, to gain my consent."

He listened as she sighed, not knowing what to say, preferring to keep the silence, watching her.

"My father's consent was not enough for him. He wanted a bride to come to him willingly ... and I did ... "

"I know little of these things... My father squandered our family fortune, so I find myself without the prospect of marriage... It's a life of war for me, I'm afraid..." he sighed in turn, looking down.
 
"I know little of these things... My father squandered our family fortune, so I find myself without the prospect of marriage... It's a life of war for me, I'm afraid..."

She was surprised. It seemed such a shame.

"Don't you want to marry? If you found a girl who loved you surely that could be overcome?"

She asked then blushed.

"Sorry. None of my business of course ..."

She told him apologetically, then looked horrified as a thought finally came to her mind.

"I suppose I will be expected to remarry?"

She had been so locked in her grief that she had not yet thought of practicalities.

"I thought this would always be my home, my people. I have worked so hard to take care of things whilst Robert was away ... grown to love this place ... "

She had no idea how things might work out now.

"At least I will be afforded a decent period of mourning before I need even consider such an action .... "

Even as she spoke, she sounded uncertain for no one had prepared her for the eventuality of being widowed.
 
Her words sounded strange to Thomas. Marriage? He knew next to nothing about that. And why would she be expected to remarry so quickly? Were her fears justified? Was this why her dying husband asked him to protect her.

He listened to her words in silence, nodding, thinking deeply before attempting to respond.

"I should not expect a widow to remarry so quickly!" he speculated. "Besides, only the king can command a widow to marry again, and only for strategic reasons!"

He then fell into deeper thought. He remembered Robert telling him about one of his greatest rivals, Baron Rufus of Gladstone, how he used every opportunity to undermine him and diminish his influence with the king.

"Whatever happens, Katherine, I will not leave your side! And I will do everything in my power to protect your freedom of choice!" he said, looking her in the eyes.
 
"I should not expect a widow to remarry so quickly!
Besides, only the king can command a widow to marry again, and only for strategic reasons!"


His words reassured her.

"Whatever happens, Katherine, I will not leave your side! And I will do everything in my power to protect your freedom of choice!"

She was touched by his declaration.

"Thank you Thomas. Robert was fortunate to have someone as loyal as you by his side. And I'll be eternally grateful to you for supporting me through this."

He was an earnest and devoted young man, but experienced in battle so she did not doubt his abilities when it came to giving her his protection.

"I loved Robert."

She told him simply.

"But we had such a short time together."

She sighed regretfully.

"Right now, I cannot imagine finding another man such as he, but ... "

She blushed hesitating to consider her words before continuing.

" ... in time, I would wish to find a kind man, who would not treat me unkindly."

She hoped he did not think her disloyal.

" ... and I always wanted to have many children. Robert and I were not fortunate enough to ... "

She broke of blushing unable to tell him that Robert had been kind and undemanding at the beginning of their marriage and just as she had begun to look forward to sharing her bed with him, he had been called away.

"... I ... should not confide such things to you ... I'm sorry ... "

She murmured, her cheeks flaming, her eyes cast downwards as she wondered what he must think of her.
 
"Right now, I cannot imagine finding another man such as he, but ... "

He noticed her blushing slightly, as he kept his eyes on her.

" ... in time, I would wish to find a kind man, who would not treat me unkindly ... and I always wanted to have many children. Robert and I were not fortunate enough to ... "

He smiled as she blushed, listening as he leaned in the armrest of the chair.

"... I ... should not confide such things to you ... I'm sorry ... "

He saw her blushing intensely this time and smiled.

"Katherine, I am at your service, and there is nothing you cannot confide in me. Nothing at all! If I am to protect you well, I need to know what you're thinking, I need to know what you fear, and what keeps you up at night!" he said and smiled, looking for her gaze.

"I am sure that, when the times come, you will find the man that deserves you... not that there are many like that around..." he smiled with the corner of his mouth.
 
"Katherine, I am at your service, and there is nothing you cannot confide in me. Nothing at all! If I am to protect you well, I need to know what you're thinking, I need to know what you fear, and what keeps you up at night!"

His response was kind and she dared to raise her eyes to his.

"I am sure that, when the times come, you will find the man that deserves you... not that there are many like that around..."

She smiled.

"I thought I was lonely without Robert being home, but now ... "

She felt ... empty ...

"I've tried so hard to keep things going around here. I didn't have a clue at first."

She gave a sad smile.

"I never thought to be a widow at 21 ... "

She shivered at the thought.

"I ... fear for the future, Thomas."

She had no idea what she should do now.
 
"I never thought to be a widow at 21 ... "

He felt her fear and heard it in her voice.

"I ... fear for the future, Thomas."

He stood from his seat and walked over to her recliner, sitting next to her. He took her hand gently in his and kissed her fingers.

"We will take it one day at the time and worry about what is right in front of us! Let the future worry about itself!" he said smiling as he held her hand.

"It must have been so difficult to run such an estate all by yourself..." he said as he considered it in his mind. "I will help you with that! Anything you need done, just let me know and it will be done. Present me to your entourage as your castellan, and I will take over your duties!" he suggested, her hand still in his.
 
She watched as he approached her and sat beside her. Her eyes widened as he took her hand, the soft kisses pressed to her fingers took her breath away.

"We will take it one day at the time and worry about what is right in front of us!
Let the future worry about itself!


She nodded mutely in agreement, her hands still resting in his.

"It must have been so difficult to run such an estate all by yourself...
I will help you with that! Anything you need done, just let me know and it will be done. Present me to your entourage as your castellan, and I will take over your duties!"


She shook her head.

"No ... that is ... I'd be grateful of your assistance, but ... I have to be seen to still be in control here."

She smiled apologetically.

"I know our people. They too will be grieving. And if any of our neighbours or enemies perceive a weakness ... "

She hoped he understood.

"Whatever happens to me, I have to secure their future, to ensure that their welfare is taken care of. It's what Robert would have wanted."
 
He considered her words for a few moments.

"Yes, I think you are right. Your position has to be strengthened, not weakened by me!" he nodded.

He then stood and walked over to the window of her solar, looking out towards the hills above the castle.

"The lands are beautiful!" he admired. "I'm not surprised Robert was so homesick... But perhaps there was another view he missed!" he said and turned to look at her, admiring her beauty.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"The priest?" Thomas wondered out loud.
 
"Yes, I think you are right. Your position has to be strengthened, not weakened by me!"

Katherine was relieved that he was not offended and watched Thomas walk towards the window.

"The lands are beautiful! I'm not surprised Robert was so homesick...
But perhaps there was another view he missed!"


She blushed at the obvious compliment, but the knock on the door locked their gazes in speculation.

"The priest?"

Catherine shook her head.

"He knows better than to disturb me in this room. And the staff are under orders not to enter unless..."

Without permission being given the door opened and a large, brutish looking man advanced into the solar.

"Lady Katherine,"

He addressed her as he advanced.

"Baron,"

Katherine said curtly as the man advanced and took her hand, the kiss he pressed to her knuckles unwelcome.

"I had to come as soon as I heard the news."

Katherine's eyes went to the door where a harassed servant stood apologetically.
She could well imagine that the Baron had pushed past him and advanced into her home uninvited. Subtly she shook her head to calm the servant's fears. She could not blame him for the Baron's appalling manners.

"Your husband, Lady. My condolences."

She pulled her hand away.

"Are premature, Sir. No announcement has been made and I gave express orders that I did not wish to be disturbed."

She did not attempt to mask her anger at the man's impertinence.

"That's as maybe, Milady, but a widow, and such a young widow,"

He almost leered at her.

" ... how could I not offer you my ... services ... ?"

Everything about the man repulsed her. Clearly Baron Rufus of Gladstone had yet to notice Thomas who was still stood by the windown.

"Your offer and your intrusion is unwanted and unwelcome at this time, Sir."

She dared to tell him, though her voice wavered to betray the fact that this man clearly intimidated her.
 
"Your offer and your intrusion is unwanted and unwelcome at this time, Sir."

Thomas was taken aback by the intrusion and immediately felt Katherine's fear.

This must be him! he thought, his face turning into dark anger.

He stepped forward, clutching the hilt of his dagger.

"I must ask you to step back, sir!" Thomas said with a harsh voice, his gaze like steel on the intruder.

"Oh? And who might you be?" he asked, his eyes still lusting after her.

"I am Thomas Kisiel!" he said, placing himself between Katherine and the baron. "Lord Robert appointed me as Lady's Katherine's protector. You will address the lady through me!" he said, as Katherine stood behind him.

"Kisiel???" the baron frowned. "What name is that?" he scoffed.

"My name is not of consequence, sir, my duty is!" he held his ground.

"My intensions are honorouble..." the baron tried a different tack.

"I'm sure they are, baron! However, the lady is indisposed at the moment, as I'm sure you understand. She will see you after the funeral!" Thomas added. "Good day, sir!"
 
Thankfully Thomas stepped forward.

"I must ask you to step back, sir!"

This was a whole other side of Thomas. His voice, the way his hand clearly rested upon his weapon made it clear that he was not one who would back down in a confrontation.

"Oh? And who might you be?"

Despite his question, the Baron only had eyes for Katherine and the way his gaze was raking over her put her to blush prompting her to lower her gaze and clasp her hands clasped in her lap as she attempted to quell her rising panic.

"I am Thomas Kisiel!"

Katherine almost wept with relief as Thomas stepped between her and the Baron, providing a much needed physical barrier between them.

"Lord Robert appointed me as Lady's Katherine's protector. You will address the lady through me!"

Behind him Katherine rose to her feet, smoothing her skirts as she aligned herself behind Thomas.

"Kisiel??? What name is that?"

The Baron appeared dismissive, but Thomas would not be swayed.

"My name is not of consequence, sir, my duty is!"

She sensed their intruder consider and change strategy realising that the young man who stood between them was determined.

"My intensions are honorouble..."

Katherine did not dare to imagine what his intentions might be towards her.
He had been ever vigilant during the 18 months apart. Never had he intruded onto her property, but she was well aware that he had closely monitored the steady rise in the prosperity of her lands.

"I'm sure they are, baron! However, the lady is indisposed at the moment, as I'm sure you understand."

Thomas remained firm and determined.

"She will see you after the funeral!"

The words made her flinch .. Robert's funeral ...

"Good day, sir!"

Thomas's words were an order rather than a salutation.
For long moments the Baron stood indecisively, then he bowed.

"Milady,"

He addressed Katherine with a saccharine smile that made her flesh crawl.

"Sir,"

A curt not did nothing to lessen to disrespectful iron intended in that one word directed at Thomas, but he turned and left the room, leaving the solar door wide open, for the servant to shut before he scurried off behind him intent upon making amends and closing the door securely upon the intruder's back.

"God ... Thomas ... "

She had stepped forward her slight body pressed against his back as she felt suddenly faint. She could not believe what had just happened, how her privacy had been invaded. Above all every word, every look the Baron had given her filled her instinctively with fear.
 
Thomas turned to her and caught her, concerned that she would pass out. Her face was pale and she appeared weak. Thomas held her body and embraced her, holding her tightly. He had no idea if that was even appropriate, but it was what he thought she needed.

"I'm here, Katherine! You are safe!" he said softly, his voice calm.

"So this is the famous Baron of Gladstone!" he smirked. "I'll have to investigate what his intentions are..." he said, still holding her tightly. "Whatever they are, he will NOT get his way, that's for sure!" he added.

After awhile he let go of her, insuring she sat safely.

"I need to have a word with your servants!" he said to her. "Are you alright?"
 
His body supported hers, holding her drawing her close. If anything the sensation made her feel still more light headed. She let he head drop to his shoulder and fought for composure as she heard his words of reassurance.

"I'm here, Katherine! You are safe!"

His arms were strong, his body hard and muscular. It reminded her achingly of Robert, yet his was a trimmer, leaner body altogether.

"So this is the famous Baron of Gladstone! I'll have to investigate what his intentions are... Whatever they are, he will NOT get his way, that's for sure!"

His confidence assured her and reluctantly she let him release her and guide her to the couch where she took a steadying breath.

"I need to have a word with your servants!"

She wanted to entreat him not to be too angry with them, but felt too weak to do anything but nod.

"Are you alright?"

He asked solicitously.

"I .. don't know ... if you could ... "

She pointed to the wine, but managed just a few sips of the goblet he helped her guide to her lips. Somehow she could not stop her body trembling.

"Will you make sure he's gone?"

She asked finally.

"But ... "

She hesitated.

" ... please ... don't leave me alone longer you have to ... "

She didn't feel safe without him close by.
 
"Will you make sure he's gone? But ... "

She hesitated and heard it clearly.

" ... please ... don't leave me alone longer you have to ... "

"Yes, of course!" he said and stood. "I shall return as soon as possible!"

He bowed and left the solar, closing the door behind him. A servant was standing in front of the door.

"Do you have a sword?" Thomas asked him.

"N-no, milord!" the servant muttered.

"You fool! How are you going to defend the lady if you don't have a sword???" he scolded him. "Wait here! Nobody goes in until I say so! Is that clear?"

"Y-yes, milord!" the servant nodded.

Thomas stopped by his chambers to pick up his sword belt. After he strapped it on he left for the entrance to the keep. Two guards stood by the door.

"You two!" he said to them, facing them sternly: "Why did you let the baron through without asking the lady first?"

The guards looked at each other with confusion.

"I am not speaking your tongue??"

"N-no... I mean... y-yes... but... we didn't know..."

"Nobody comes through this gate without the lady's express permission, or mine! Is that clear?" he asked them, looking straight into their eyes.

The two nodded, without questioning about who he was to instruct him. As a military commander, he imposed respect by default.

"Is he gone?" he asked them.

"Yes, milord!" one of them answered.

"You! Go tell the guard at the castle gates to keep an eye out for any incomers and inform me of any approaching parties! Especially this baron fellow!" he said to one of them.

"Yes, milord!" he bowed and then left as instructed.

"Where is the armory?" he asked the guard who was left.

The man pointed at a door to the right of the castle gates. Thomas left the guard and entered the armory, where he found some of his men sharing war stories.

"Commander!" they all said as they stood.

"You're still here!" Thomas said with surprise.

"We live in the castle, sir!" one of them replied.

"How many?"

"Ten of us!"

He looked around the room, but counted only eight. The other two must have been away.

"I need one of you to guard the lady!" he said.

Three of them stepped forward instantly.

"At your service, commander!" one of them said.

"Eight hour shifts! Fully armored. You are first. Report to the lady's solar!" he said to the three. "And you lot! Go make love to your wives!"

The men cheered and laughed.

Thomas left them and returned quickly to the solar.

"A soldier will replace you in a few moments! You can go when he arrives!" he instructed the servant, and then knocked on the door, waiting for the reply.
 
"Yes, of course! I shall return as soon as possible!"

She watched Thomas leave the solar and felt suddenly bereft without his presence. Of course, it was all a result of having lost her husband. Without the status of wife, it seemed that as a mere widow she was somehow more vulnerable.

She had not liked the way the Baron had looked at her, nor the way he had tried to undermine Thomas. A man who barged his way into a lady's quarters after learning she had just been widowed was no gentleman at all! And how could he possibly have learned of Robert's demise? She was not even sure that those in the castle were aware of what had happened. And she had to arrange for the people living nearby should also be informed. Her head swam with thoughts of what she should do and the prospect of a funeral which would surely take place soon.

She jumped at the knock upon the door.

"Who is it?"

She asked warily. Relieved that Thomas had returned so promptly she invited him to enter.

"He has gone?"

She asked him immediately?

Her fear of the Baron was illogical she was sure, but Katherine had to admit that the whole unexpected exchange had given her a fright.

"You were not too angry with the servants?"

She asked, wondering what had been said.
 
"He has gone?"

He nodded as he walked towards her, removing his sword belt and placing it near the couch, taking a seat next to her.

"You were not too angry with the servants?"

"I was gentle as a dove!" he smiled at her with the corner of his mouth.

"The brute is gone, and I will be informed if he returns. You will not see him from now on unless you choose to! I also placed a guard at your door at all times. They are my own men, residents in your castle, as it appears. They will not let anyone through without my knowledge!" he said with a warm smile.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked after pouring her some more wine and handing her the goblet, looking in her eyes as she drank.
 
Katherine was relieved by the nod, but noted that he wore a sword belt and kept it close despite that.

"I was gentle as a dove!"

His reassurance about his treatment of her servants made her giggle despite herself.

"The brute is gone, and I will be informed if he returns. You will not see him from now on unless you choose to! I also placed a guard at your door at all times. They are my own men, residents in your castle, as it appears. They will not let anyone through without my knowledge!"

She was overwhelmed with relief and gratitude. He was efficient and effective; no wonder Robert had kept him close and entrusted her safety to him.

"Are you feeling better?"

She sipped the wine and nodded.

"I am now, thank you ... "

She gave him an apologetic smile.

"I had hoped that your stay here would be ... restful. I do not like to put you to such trouble Thomas."

She said regretfully.

"But that man ... he ... "

She shuddered visibly.
It wasn't logical how he had made her feel.
She could only be thankful that Thomas had been close at hand.
 
"I had hoped that your stay here would be ... restful. I do not like to put you to such trouble Thomas."

He smiled widely, shaking his head.

"But that man ... he ... "

"I know he looks dangerous and he frighten you. That is why your late husband asked me to be here. It is my duty to protect you against any harm!" he said reassuringly.

He then poured himself a goblet of wine and sat back down, sipping as he reclined next to her.

"And don't worry about my rest! Your company is the most restful place I can imagine in this world..." he said as he gently caressed her hand, withdrawing it immediately, like a child who touched something forbidden. The truth was, she was irresistible to him. He constantly felt like touching her.
 
"I know he looks dangerous and he frighten you."

She nodded in admission.

"That is why your late husband asked me to be here.
It is my duty to protect you against any harm!"


His mention of Robert settled her concerns, after all Thomas being here had been her husband's last wish.

She sighed and sipped from the goblet once more setting it aside as she watched him help himself to wine, a warm smile as he made himself comfortable.

"And don't worry about my rest! Your company is the most restful place I can imagine in this world..."

His hand had reached out to hers, it's touch light, but making her pulses jolt at that casual touch. And then he moved his hand away. And she was surprised at how disappointed she was.

"I like having you close by,"

She told him, her voice somewhat breathless.

"You make me feel ... "

She hesitated, searching for a word to describe the full range of emotions she had experienced with him, but she opted for the most obvious one.

" ... safe ... "

She completed finally.
 
"I like having you close by,"

She heard her say after he withdrew his hand. Her voice was somehow different.

"You make me feel ... safe ... "

He smiled from ear to ear as he turned to her.

"No woman has ever told me how I make her feel!" he mused, smiling warmly at her, holding her gaze before he took another sip.

"I'm afraid my experience in women is... well... limited!... I don't know how to behave with ladies like yourself... I don't know what is appropriate and what is not... I want to comfort you, and I wish I knew how!" he said, and then he looked down.

"I want to hold you, but I'm afraid to offend you! I'm a country boy at heart, even if I own a sword and armor!" he confessed, blushing slightly.
 
Her words seemed to widen at her words.

"No woman has ever told me how I make her feel!"

He told her, surprising her by his admission.

"I'm afraid my experience in women is... well... limited!"

He had explained why it as unlikely that he would ever marry, but as a single soldier, she had the impression that women would factor as part of his life.

"... I don't know how to behave with ladies like yourself... I don't know what is appropriate and what is not... I want to comfort you, and I wish I knew how!"

She was touched by his concern, by the respect he had for her.

"I want to hold you, but I'm afraid to offend you!"

His openness moved her.

"I'm a country boy at heart, even if I own a sword and armor!"

She lifted her eyes to his.

"Just be yourself with me, Thomas."

She reassured him.

"I was just a simple girl from a small town before Robert found me and decided he wanted me for his wife. My marriage restored our family finances. My father would have given me to any man for the right price. I was lucky that it was Robert who made the best offer."

She wanted him to understand that there was very little difference between them in reality, apart from the status and wealth that being Robert's wife gave her. What would happen to that now that she was a widow, she was uncertain.

"As to offending me ... "

She actually laughed.

" ... if I felt uncomfortable with you in any way, then I would tell you, but I would not take offence. It is obvious that you want only to protect and comfort me, as Robert intended you to..."

She hesitated, uncertain as to whether to proceed or not, but believing that she owed him the same honesty as he had given her.

"As for offering comfort ... "

She blushed as she confessed.

" ... I would welcome that ... very much ... should you ever consider doing so in the future ... "
 
Back
Top