Trying to get started here!(Long post)

BDKane78

Virgin
Hello all!

I've been around here for years lurking and reading. I had an account ages ago(that I forgot.) I was quite active in the forums for awhile. However, I have never submitted anything nor attempted to.

I have seen quite a few of my favorite authors chilling here in the forms.(Lovecraft68, SusanJillParker, etc.) You can say that I've been inspired to contribute for awhile.

I took some time to read through the FAQs and I also have put effort into reading posts by others. You could say I am hoping to elicit some advice from experienced Lit authors.

My focus will be on various sections, however my favorite will be the ever popular incest portion. Really excited to enter a contest and submit content. If you have any tips or knowledge you could offer I would appreciate it.

The main concern I have at the moment is formatting and editing. I also want to make sure I write a good story that people will enjoy as well as myself.

Thanks!

Kane

Hey welcome aboard and glad you enjoy my stories.

The answer is a very simple one, just write, just do it and get it up here and don't be discouraged if the first stories aren't huge hits, it takes a while to get an audience and get going sometimes, but you have to start somewhere.

Hey welcome aboard and glad you enjoy my stories.

The answer is a very simple one, just write, just do it and get it up here and don't be discouraged if the first stories aren't huge hits, it takes a while to get an audience and get going sometimes, but you have to start somewhere.

Speak of the Devil :D

That is excellent advice. I have been checking the FAQs and have been an avid reader for a long time. I guess getting started is the big step. Usually, I feel most people know how the story will end before everything else

I have multiple stories kicking around in my noggin. My big thing is that I want to make a great story and create larger submissions rather than smaller in size.

I did not see the size limit, doubtful I will hit it, however Iam curious what would a good length be? And how to make sure the format is displayed correctly.

Welcome to the Lit Forum

Don’t worry about what others will enjoy, write for you. You simply share what you enjoy with others. You don’t get paid for this; your only incentive is your enjoyment. What others think should not even be a tiny bit of concern to you.

Don’t worry about what others will enjoy, write for you. You simply share what you enjoy with others. You don’t get paid for this; your only incentive is your enjoyment. What others think should not even be a tiny bit of concern to you.

Very true. Sound advice as well. Thanks.

Speak of the Devil :D

That is excellent advice. I have been checking the FAQs and have been an avid reader for a long time. I guess getting started is the big step. Usually, I feel most people know how the story will end before everything else

I have multiple stories kicking around in my noggin. My big thing is that I want to make a great story and create larger submissions rather than smaller in size.

I did not see the size limit, doubtful I will hit it, however Iam curious what would a good length be? And how to make sure the format is displayed correctly.

There is no limit in how long a story can be. There are stories here over 30 lit pages long(so over 100k)

As for preferred length....many say its 3 lit pages, but most of mine are in the 6-8 page range and I get plenty of reads here so its really hard to say.

My advice would be don't worry about any of that stuff and just write the story you want to write and as time goes on you'll get a feel for what works well and not so well.

Hi BD Kane,

Welcome into the open. I've only been here since August, and have managed to get three stories published so far. Yes, do write for yourself, otherwise it's a chore. Yet writing is also communication: think about your readers. It's great to get feedback from readers who tell you they were really turned on by one of your stories. You can write your stuff and submit, but you'll fare far better if you find a good editor. Such an editor will wheedle out those little errors, but also give feedback on what works and what doesn't. Head over to the Editor Forum and have a look around, or ask and see if you find anyone with whom you'd like to work.

Sorry, not passing my Freddie sniff test yet. Remains to be seen.

There is no limit in how long a story can be. There are stories here over 30 lit pages long(so over 100k)

As for preferred length....many say its 3 lit pages, but most of mine are in the 6-8 page range and I get plenty of reads here so its really hard to say.

My advice would be don't worry about any of that stuff and just write the story you want to write and as time goes on you'll get a feel for what works well and not so well.

I am looking forward to it! I will try to aim for 5 pages maybe. But, if its shorter or longer that will be fine.

Hi BD Kane,

Welcome into the open. I've only been here since August, and have managed to get three stories published so far. Yes, do write for yourself, otherwise it's a chore. Yet writing is also communication: think about your readers. It's great to get feedback from readers who tell you they were really turned on by one of your stories. You can write your stuff and submit, but you'll fare far better if you find a good editor. Such an editor will wheedle out those little errors, but also give feedback on what works and what doesn't. Head over to the Editor Forum and have a look around, or ask and see if you find anyone with whom you'd like to work.
Hey Gorza!
That is one of my concerns as well. But, as I a reader I have seen alot of great support here. Thank you for your advice as well.

Sorry, not passing my Freddie sniff test yet. Remains to be seen.

SR, not sure what that is feel free to explain. If it is a test I will try my best to pass it. I've been around for awhile. Just never submitted anything. :cool:

What formatting, this is just text stories.
Editing can be by someone willing to help, see editor forum here. Else just proof read it yourself 3 times at least as this should pick up 90% of your errors.
Who cares what others think of your story. If you try to write to satisfy others you will fail as the story will not flow. It comes from your imagination, nobody elses.
Don't try to aim for any length. I think one lit page is about 3500 words? And this is prob about 4 A4 pages. Of course this all depends on font and spacings and length of paragraphs etc. Let the story flow, especially during first draft, do not stunt yourself. Editing your story you can add or take or change or throw it in the bin. It is your story.

What formatting, this is just text stories.
Editing can be by someone willing to help, see editor forum here. Else just proof read it yourself 3 times at least as this should pick up 90% of your errors.
Who cares what others think of your story. If you try to write to satisfy others you will fail as the story will not flow. It comes from your imagination, nobody elses.
Don't try to aim for any length. I think one lit page is about 3500 words? And this is prob about 4 A4 pages. Of course this all depends on font and spacings and length of paragraphs etc. Let the story flow, especially during first draft, do not stunt yourself. Editing your story you can add or take or change or throw it in the bin. It is your story.

Thank you Graham that is good information!

My advice on formatting / editing is to mind the grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Don't put extra spaces where they don't belong and don't get too fancy with it. I always put an extra line between paragraphs, not sure it that is required but it helps with readability.

You have read other stories on the site. Think about what made the story easier to read and do that. Think about what made the story harder to read and don't do that.

When you are submitting, before hitting the final button, read over the preview and make sure it looks good to you. Remember that you are putting something out there that reflects on you and you are worth making a good impression.

My advice on formatting / editing is to mind the grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Don't put extra spaces where they don't belong and don't get too fancy with it. I always put an extra line between paragraphs, not sure it that is required but it helps with readability.

You have read other stories on the site. Think about what made the story easier to read and do that. Think about what made the story harder to read and don't do that.

When you are submitting, before hitting the final button, read over the preview and make sure it looks good to you. Remember that you are putting something out there that reflects on you and you are worth making a good impression.

You make an excellent point! Well, I have started my first story. I will see where it takes me. Thank you!

I also recommend turning your comments off when you submit stories.
My stories aren't a democracy, only opinions that matter are mine.

On the other hand,
Just occasionally, you may get a comment of a very practical nature which might actually help you do well, or better.

Beware the trolls.

Welcome and I hope to see stories from you soon! Around this time last year I started writing my first erotica story, and I'm only about seven short chapters in. I'm sure you'll pass me by in no time at all!

The advice that I would give if I could go back and do it all again for the first time..

1) Plan a rough outline. As a writer it's frustrating for me to keep writing the present when my mind is so excited to get ahead to the good parts, but your pacing will be all over the place if your story is nothing but skipping ahead to the parts you're excited to write. The outline isn't a set-in-stone-law and shouldn't be, but it's a loose guideline that'll help keep your overall story on focus.

2) Proofread. If you write something out five different times, proofread it ten times. Not just you, either, find another interested party to help you go over it. More than homonyms, grammatical knots and outright typos, reading over it again can help you tweak-and-fine-tune sentences to help them flow better, convey a better feel for the moment, or deliver the same information while using less words.

3) Sit on it. Patience. No matter how excited you are to submit something and get others reading it, sit on it for at least a night. There's a lot of nights where I'm thinking "done enough!" and want to just get it into the submission system and out of the way, off the drawing table. Sit on your story overnight and read it again, slowly and carefully, in the morning. Since I've started doing this I've almost always ended up finding major problems or working in major improvements. Sometimes it's just changing a single line of a character's dialogue to give a whole conversation a different meaning, sometimes I'm changing the character perspective, chopping half of the dialogue for a later conversation, working in a montage of other actions amid the talk to break it up.. you get the idea.

On the other hand,
Just occasionally, you may get a comment of a very practical nature which might actually help you do well, or better.

Beware the trolls.
I am not weak willed and I enjoy all forms of critism that employs decent logic. I will keep comments open for thesotry. I would be naive if I thought there wouldn't be negative aspects.:)

Welcome and I hope to see stories from you soon! Around this time last year I started writing my first erotica story, and I'm only about seven short chapters in. I'm sure you'll pass me by in no time at all!

The advice that I would give if I could go back and do it all again for the first time..

1) Plan a rough outline. As a writer it's frustrating for me to keep writing the present when my mind is so excited to get ahead to the good parts, but your pacing will be all over the place if your story is nothing but skipping ahead to the parts you're excited to write. The outline isn't a set-in-stone-law and shouldn't be, but it's a loose guideline that'll help keep your overall story on focus.

2) Proofread. If you write something out five different times, proofread it ten times. Not just you, either, find another interested party to help you go over it. More than homonyms, grammatical knots and outright typos, reading over it again can help you tweak-and-fine-tune sentences to help them flow better, convey a better feel for the moment, or deliver the same information while using less words.

3) Sit on it. Patience. No matter how excited you are to submit something and get others reading it, sit on it for at least a night. There's a lot of nights where I'm thinking "done enough!" and want to just get it into the submission system and out of the way, off the drawing table. Sit on your story overnight and read it again, slowly and carefully, in the morning. Since I've started doing this I've almost always ended up finding major problems or working in major improvements. Sometimes it's just changing a single line of a character's dialogue to give a whole conversation a different meaning, sometimes I'm changing the character perspective, chopping half of the dialogue for a later conversation, working in a montage of other actions amid the talk to break it up.. you get the idea.

Thank you for the well thought out advice. I will be sure to keep this content in mind for sure while writing.

I started my first story up last night. I think I am up to 1 page of Lit and 4 pages on google docs. I can already see much needed room for improvement. Starting sentences with pronouns is a constant habit I have.

Really have to brush up on my grammar and punctuation. I have my story basis and my characters worked out.

I'm not talking about restricting opinion and criticism. My stories are my private free journal in my opinion. If readers pay me they can offer opinions and criticism. Otherwise I'm a dictator and my stories my domain. If authors want to offer advice I'm fine with, or once more readers can pay me and give advice & recomendations.

I am not weak willed and I enjoy all forms of critism that employs decent logic. I will keep comments open for thesotry. I would be naive if I thought there wouldn't be negative aspects.:)

Thank you for the well thought out advice. I will be sure to keep this content in mind for sure while writing.

I started my first story up last night. I think I am up to 1 page of Lit and 4 pages on google docs. I can already see much needed room for improvement. Starting sentences with pronouns is a constant habit I have.

Really have to brush up on my grammar and punctuation. I have my story basis and my characters worked out.

I had a hard time breaking away from that myself, as my writing origins trace back to roleplaying on an old IRC server back when I was in high school, so EVERY ACTION started with a pronoun since I was so used to roleplaying with the /me function on chats. But you'll get in the habit of varying your sentences before you know it.

Try to write out cinematically what you're picturing happen in the story for your first go-through, you can always clean it up and tidy the structuring later. Remember that the reader is experiencing your story through your words! Think about things that play to the senses - how do they look, how do they sound, how do they feel, etc. Good descriptions are the real flavor of the story.

Back