God

it's like the energizer bunny!:D

*BEEP BEEP*

220px-Energizer_Bunny.png

like god, i'm perfect...WOOOO! lol

damn i'm outta my mind.

Honey that's alright, I love you anyway. Now go take a shower and see if that helps. What cereal did you choose? I don't think captain crunch is good for a hang-over.

Honey that's alright, I love you anyway. Now go take a shower and see if that helps. What cereal did you choose? I don't think captain crunch is good for a hang-over.

i don't like cereal that much.

i'm more of a bacon,eggs an cheese type of guy in the morning.

I disagree. Pattern recognition is what allows us to collect, process, and store information efficiently - the thrill of guessing conclusions and filling in the gaps is what excites us about stories and music. It does not speak to any latent desire for proof. In fact, I would imagine that it played a large role in the advent of religion in the first place. We created mythologies to fill the gaps of what we were unable to answer through observation. Over the years, science has filled more and more of these gaps, but as an atheist, I won't deny that there are still plenty. Personally, I find that exciting, but as humans, we're not exactly programmed to be content with "Well, we'll figure it out eventually!"

Aristotelian reasoning was similarly borne from a burning need to explain and a distinct lack of evidence. We are inquisitive creatures, to be sure, but the proclivity to believe what we are told by authority figures without seeking personal confirmation has played just as large a role in our biological and societal evolution.

I agree with what KRC said, and I would also argue that a fixation on items of religious significance such as the dead sea scrolls and the Shroud of Turin is because we like tangible tokens and symbols. Prayer and bible study are meant in large part as a means to bring oneself closer to God and to Jesus. I don't think it's unreasonable to categorize the desire to touch and hold something Jesus touched or wore or owned as an extension of that. I do think there's merit to what you're saying. Of course some want proof, and an even greater number are glad for it when it materializes, but most religious people I know are not deterred by a lack of it, and that's a key distinction.

There's no point in disagreeing with me and then writing an entire post where you agree with me. So -- We're investigatory creatures that crave evidence. We agree.

Now -- If you want to have a discussion about how we're also stupid enough to be happy with evidence that already fits our preconceived desires, that's a different topic. In other words, you agree with me that we're pattern seekers and need to know how and why things work. (That's all I said.) You took the discussion further to wonder why we're happy with nonsense like "God" as an answer. For that you have to look to the mental anguish brought about by mortality awareness, and our self-protective need to find a better answer than the one that only exacerbates our grief. "God" is better than "Death". At that point we stop looking for "proof".

But only consciously. As I pointed out above, underneath, subconsciously, we continue to need proof. Ask anyone who bought tickets to "The Passion of the Christ" to see it "as it was".

Last edited:
There's no point in disagreeing with me and then writing an entire post where you agree with me. So -- We're investigatory creatures that crave evidence. We agree.

Now -- If you want to have a discussion about how we're also stupid enough to be happy with evidence that already fits our preconceived desires, that's a different topic. In other words, you agree with me that we're pattern seekers and need to know how and why things work. (That's all I said.) You took the discussion further to wonder why we're happy with nonsense like "God" as an answer. For that you have to look to the mental anguish brought about by mortality awareness, and our self-protective need to find a better answer than the one that only exacerbates our grief. "God" is better than "Death".

You comedic talents and theological knowledge are both worth shit.

Faith has nothing to do with proof...

...faith has everything to do with hope.

Who cares?

If you say there's a God and give money to supporting organizations that force irrational legislation down my throat and grant cover to ideologies that foment violence then you have a moral and ethical obligation to back that shit up. Fuck your hope. Prove it.

Just checking in. I have a bet to win you know. I do want to make sure I want the winning prize. Let me know what you figured out. Blowjobs are not part of the deal.

Did you read my official claim? I am saying that looking at all the information I choose to believe there is a God. I can't prove he exists, you can't prove he doesn't. I am seriously asking this question, not meanly asking it, but how do you live life believing in nothing. I am seriously curious.

The night I felt his presence when my father passes I had so much going on I forgot to bring a camera. Just my luck.

Your not getting off with changing the subject. I think we should bet dinner out. I have a church potluck coming up that I would love to take you to.

What does an athiest yell during earth moving sex?

"Oh non-existent super natural entity, yes?!"

I can't prove he exists, you can't prove he doesn't.

I don't have to. You really should. Or you should stop talking as if it's a given he does exist, because it's douchey.

I am seriously asking this question, not meanly asking it, but how do you live life believing in nothing. I am seriously curious.

You have to stop owning the word "believe" as if it only applies to religious "belief", or the acceptance of something without evidence. "Believing in something" can also mean confidence in something. Conviction. Philosophical comfort and direction. I have all of that. And spirituality. And everything a theist has. I have ritual, and celebration. I have moral and joy and ethics. I have access to transformative and transcendent experiences. These are human attributes. They are Darwinian. They are not owned by those who also choose to believe, irrationally, in a Sky King. I have everything you have, without the debilitating and desultory effects inflicted upon your heart, mind and soul by nonsensical magical thinking. I believe in all kinds of things. Rational things. Emotional things. Human things. You believe in all those things, too, which connects us. You don't need Magic Man.

I know a lot of people who claim to have experienced god or have god in their lives but they don't seem any more peaceful or happier than anyone else. I've found that mostly they are just trying to convince themselves.

People who run around preaching there is no god are just as annoying as the fucks that come to my door Sunday/Saturday morning. Not a shred of diffrence......

I know a lot of people who claim to have experienced god or have god in their lives but they don't seem any more peaceful or happier than anyone else. I've found that mostly they are just trying to convince themselves.

Studies show that Atheists are happier and better educated than Theists. They also commit fewer crimes.

And, yeah, I can supply links and sources. Lots of them. Just Google around, actually. I'm too fucking busy right now.

Look for a study that shows Theists are happier and smarter than Atheists. A peer reviewed study. There isn't one.

It's time to let go of the 5000 year old desert boogeyman. Liberty, baby. Liberty.

People who run around preaching there is no god are just as annoying as the fucks that come to my door Sunday/Saturday morning. Not a shred of diffrence......

People who just say things like they just shit out immutable laws of the universe carved into marble need to understand that that girl at Starbucks is just there for coffee, not you.

Back