Was play?

MissShelly

Experienced
Wax play?

So.. the one shop in this little town is out of stock on candles. It's too late to order any unless I want to pay crazy shipping costs. And I couldn't find any paraffin candles at Walmart.

So... suggestions on what to do?

Just buy a plain white taper and play with the distance from which to drip it, starting high and moving lower?

That's all I can think of. Any experienced wax players have other ideas/suggestions?

Last edited:
Do you have a grocery store nearby with a Mexican section, or a grocery store geared towards Hispanics?

If I remember correctly, the cheap, tall, white candles that are sold as "religious candles", are safe. (But stick to the white ones, without scents or coloring, just to be safe.)

$T2eC16Z,!%29kE9s4,BD1oBQ%290f%28Qpww~~60_12.JPG

Do you have a grocery store nearby with a Mexican section, or a grocery store geared towards Hispanics?

If I remember correctly, the cheap, tall, white candles that are sold as "religious candles", are safe. (But stick to the white ones, without scents or coloring, just to be safe.)

$T2eC16Z,!%29kE9s4,BD1oBQ%290f%28Qpww~~60_12.JPG

I will check. Thanks. Although it feels kind of wrong using a Jesus candle for BDSM. HAHAHA. LOL

I will check. Thanks. Although it feels kind of wrong using a Jesus candle for BDSM. HAHAHA. LOL

Actually, very early in Church history, certain sects of priests, monks and nuns practiced ritualized flagellation and "torments" to bring themselves closer to God. 13th? 14th century? I believe the Ecstatic Movement happened shortly before the Humanist Movement... anyway, the idea that S&M, dominance or submission is disgraceful to God, is a very modern invention.

So yes, in once sense, it raises an eyebrow, but not really. ;)

Actually, very early in Church history, certain sects of priests, monks and nuns practiced ritualized flagellation and "torments" to bring themselves closer to God. 13th? 14th century? I believe the Ecstatic Movement happened shortly before the Humanist Movement... anyway, the idea that S&M, dominance or submission is disgraceful to God, is a very modern invention.

So yes, in once sense, it raises an eyebrow, but not really. ;)

Oh yes, I totally get that about history. And I don't believe that D/s is disgraceful to God, and as as Christian, I don't believe BDSM is wrong/sinful in the bedroom either. But yeah... still kinda funny about the candle though.

Look for a St. Andrew. A very popular piece of dungeon equipment is a large X, also known as a St. Andrew's cross. ;)

If you use the novena candles like that - place the whole candle (or several) in very hot water to melt them. If you light them and turn them on their sides to pour, the candle flame may heat the glass unevenly, causing them to crack.

Also, they can be placed in an oven (not microwave) on warm to melt the wax. Remember to use an oven mitt or thick gloves to handle them. :) :devil:

So regular taper candle a no?

There's nothing wrong with using tapers, just make sure they are pure paraffin wax, not beeswax (beeswax melts at a higher temperature and is much more likely to cause burns). Dyes increase the melting point. Scents usually increase the melting point.

Drip a few drops on yourself FIRST (I target the back of my hand just over the body of the bottom I am playing with) so you know exactly how hot the wax is as it's hitting their body. Adjust up or down to get the amount of heat you want. As you build up a coat of wax on the body, you can lower the candle.

Kosher candles are usually pure paraffin also.

There's nothing wrong with using tapers, just make sure they are pure paraffin wax, not beeswax (beeswax melts at a higher temperature and is much more likely to cause burns). Dyes increase the melting point. Scents usually increase the melting point.

Drip a few drops on yourself FIRST (I target the back of my hand just over the body of the bottom I am playing with) so you know exactly how hot the wax is as it's hitting their body. Adjust up or down to get the amount of heat you want. As you build up a coat of wax on the body, you can lower the candle.

Kosher candles are usually pure paraffin also.

I don't know what they are, the label doesn't say. They are white and unscented. I did tell my husband that we need to test the wax before playing with it. I couldn't find anything at the store that said "paraffin," on it. So I'm assuming they aren't. But again, wouldn't they say beeswax if that's what they were?

And I haven no idea where to get kosher stuff around here.

Many grocery stores will have the kosher candles.

Also, canning wax found in the canning section is usually pure paraffin, and can be melted in a double boiler, or a small crock pot. You can mix mineral oil in with the wax to reduce the melting point if you crock pot or double boiler it. At about a 50/50 ratio of wax to oil, it is melting at about room temperature.

When I make my own pots of the stuff I use about 25% mineral oil by volume.

Hope that helps!

Many grocery stores will have the kosher candles.

Also, canning wax found in the canning section is usually pure paraffin, and can be melted in a double boiler, or a small crock pot. You can mix mineral oil in with the wax to reduce the melting point if you crock pot or double boiler it. At about a 50/50 ratio of wax to oil, it is melting at about room temperature.

When I make my own pots of the stuff I use about 25% mineral oil by volume.

Hope that helps!

Definitely helpful. Won't be able to do it for this weekend (how on earth do I explain to my mother WHY I'm melting Paraffin and mixing it with oil? LOL).

This town is so tiny, I'm not sure if the grocery store has a Kosher section. I wonder if Walmart has one?

Have you given thought to safety? I ask because you're new and it sounds like you're pretty excited for this rare event with your husband. I realize that it all sounds fun and exciting, because it is! Even if you've read up on it and understand the risks and precautions, I'll add this in for anyone following along. (^_−)−☆

Here are some safety suggestions:
Test the wax to see how long it takes to melt. Test a small patch of skin for allergic reactions. Have cold, wet clothes or ice on hand along with a medical kit. If you have one, make sure the fire extinguisher is nearby. Also, be aware of synthetic fabrics that can melt and cause harm like nylon.

I'm sure some of this might be overkill, but I hope a more experienced member will have something to add. o(^_^)o

I might be the board's biggest buzzkill with all these PSAs.

I sincerely appreciate your concern. So thank you.

And yes, actually I read up on the safety of wax play and plan on having all the safety plans in place. I told my husband that we need to have ice and cold water on hand, as well as my pure Lavender oil (thank you doTERRA). And that before we play we need to figure out from what height to drip the wax, starting high then moving down. Keeping flammable objects away, extinguisher within arms reach, blowing out the candle when not in use, keeping it far enough away so that it's not in danger of getting knocked over.

Did I miss anything? (Serious question, not a snarky comment).

Have you given thought to safety? I ask because you're new and it sounds like you're pretty excited for this rare event with your husband. I realize that it all sounds fun and exciting, because it is! Even if you've read up on it and understand the risks and precautions, I'll add this in for anyone following along. (^_−)−☆

Here are some safety suggestions:
Test the wax to see how long it takes to melt. Test a small patch of skin for allergic reactions. Have cold, wet clothes or ice on hand along with a medical kit. If you have one, make sure the fire extinguisher is nearby. Also, be aware of synthetic fabrics that can melt and cause harm like nylon.

I'm sure some of this might be overkill, but I hope a more experienced member will have something to add. o(^_^)o

I might be the board's biggest buzzkill with all these PSAs.

I sincerely appreciate your concern. So thank you.

And yes, actually I read up on the safety of wax play and plan on having all the safety plans in place. I told my husband that we need to have ice and cold water on hand, as well as my pure Lavender oil (thank you doTERRA). And that before we play we need to figure out from what height to drip the wax, starting high then moving down. Keeping flammable objects away, extinguisher within arms reach, blowing out the candle when not in use, keeping it far enough away so that it's not in danger of getting knocked over.

Did I miss anything? (Serious question, not a snarky comment).

It's not so much a safety thing as a cleanup thing, but you might wanna throw down an old sheet or something that you don't use anymore on the surface you'll be doing this on. It's a stone-cold bitch to get wax out of fabric.

It's not so much a safety thing as a cleanup thing, but you might wanna throw down an old sheet or something that you don't use anymore on the surface you'll be doing this on. It's a stone-cold bitch to get wax out of fabric.

Thanks. Will see what I can scrounge up to take.

It may sound a bit different to some, but I use a small crock pot to melt the Paraffin Wax, and then a silicon basting brush or a small ladle for application. Something to also think about is that during Christmas, the stores start selling those wax hand and foot spas.

Back