Protection (closed)

Not knowing the officers, I surrender my gun and ask permission to go get my ID. One of the officers accompanies me to the bedroom where I retrieve my wallet with my shield and Police ID.

Back downstairs, the two officers call for another squad car to transport Mr. Dawes to the hospital and guard him while he is being treated. After a couple of questions, we are asked to follow the original officers to the station to give our written statements. They would like to do this tonight, rather than waiting until morning. They give us a few minutes to go upstairs and get dressed; once we reach the bedroom, I pull you to me. "Baby, I will always protect you and Molly." That doesn't stop the tears, but at least you calm donw enough to get some clothes on. I grab a pair of jeans and knit shirt, slip on my old loafers and I am ready to go.
 
The tears come easily as you pull me into your arms. Trembling, I cling to you, sobbing against your chest as you tell me that you’ll always protect me and Molly. I’m still trembling as I allow you to pull a sweatshirt over my head and help me into a pair of jeans and an old pair of tennis shoes.

“He was going to kill me, Alan.” I say, looking up at you with a lost expression. “He was here to kill me. Would he have killed Molly too? Oh, God…” I say as I think about that for a moment and tremble all over again as I feel your arms wrap around me and pull me close again.

“I don’t want to go to the station tonight. I want to go get Molly and bring her home.” I tell you even as I feel you guiding us downstairs. “Please, Alan. Can’t this wait? I want to go get my baby.”
 
"I understand, and I've had to deal with the exact same situation quite a few times. We need to go give our statements tonight before we forget any of the details. And as much as you want to bring Molly home right now, it will be better to wait till morning, rather than wake her up in the middle of the night. Let's just keep her home tomorrow."

I know that breaking into a house and using a gun will send this guy away for a long time . . . it's just that the emotional scars on Michaela will last for quite a while.

I'm trying not to be insensitive to what you are going thru; it's just with all my experience as a cop, I know what we need to do to send this prick away for a long time.
 
I let out a deep sigh as you tell me that we have to go and it would be best to let Molly finish her sleepover. I know that you’re right, but the shock still makes me want to have my daughter with me. Holding your hand tightly, I follow you to the car and let you drive to the station.

I’m exhausted after the questioning and statements. It’s a horrible ending to what had been a wonderful night. I find myself asleep on a hard bench in the police station, covered in a itchy blanket as I wait for you to finish up with your statement.
 
Finally finishing my statement; they need to keep my gun for a couple of days just to make sure the bullet that went thru the guy's wrist and into the wall matches my gun. Fortunately, I have another hidden in my car.

Waking you up gently, we walk slowly to the car and drive back home. Not even asking, I go tothe kitchen and pour a couple of glasses of wine and bring them to the living room. Sitting on the couch, your head is on my shoulder and my arm around you.

Guess tomorrow will be a day to install a new door and alarm system attached to each door. Having Molly with us if we go look for a ring might help relieve some of the fears from tonight.
 
I’m quiet for a long moment, sipping my glass of wine before I place it on the table in front of us and snuggle up against your side. “I’m scared, Alan.” I tell you, a shiver racing through my body as I feel you rubbing my arm to get me warmed up again. “Everything’s going so perfect and now this…what if it just doesn’t stop? Will we have to live in fear?”
 
"No, babe . . . shouldn't take too long to lock this guy up. Once they match the bullet that went thru his wrist with my gun, he will probably be begging for a short prison term. And if there is anyone else involved, he'll spill his guts with information to protect his own ass from more jail time. I think this will be over pretty quickly."

"I have a feeling that we will need to go back down to the station in a day or two and pick him out of a line-up. He won't be able to see us, so there is nothing to be afraid of during that time. Let's try to get a little more sleep before the dynamo comes home and is ready to run for the day."
 
I nod and let you lead me towards the bedroom, allowing you to undress me and tuck me into bed. This has all taken a toll on me. Having menacing threats over a phone is one thing, but once the person comes into the house with a gun, that’s a whole other issue.

I snuggle up against you as you slip into bed beside me. I wrap my arm around your chest and press myself intimately against you, seeking comfort and warmth.

“I want a security system now.” I say softly, my mind still clicking a million miles an hour.
 
"I know just the company to call; they have the best home security systems in the area. Since I know him, I'm pretty sure I can get him out here tomorrow to look at the house and let us know what we need and how soon he can install it."

Feeling your naked body snuggle close . . . knowing that the most important thing I can do for you right now is hold you and let you feel my warmth against you.
 
I nod, struggling to go to sleep as you tell me that you’ll have the security man there the first thing in the morning. It’s shortly before dawn when I’m finally able to go to sleep, my nerves still a jumble as I listen to your heart beating and the simple sounds of your breathing.
 
Guess I fell asleep before you did; turning over the clock says 7:30, so I crawl out as quietly as possible and start the coffee. Cleaning up what is left of the mess from last night; the police got all the evidence they needed.

Calling my buddy with the home security business, I explain the situation to him. He promises to come out about 11:00 and give us an idea of what we need and when he can get it done. Hearing you start to move around upstairs, I fill a coffee mug and walk upstairs to tell you what I have done already as far as a security system.
 
I wake up feeling like death warmed over. A shower and dressing doesn’t make me feel much better. Entering the bedroom again, I pause as I see you standing there with a mug full of coffee.

“Thanks, baby.” I say softly as I take the mug and take a long sip of the hot brew. “What time do we need to go pick up Molly?” I ask, glancing at you and still trying to come to terms with what happened the night before.
 
"Was Sarah going to take Molly to school? We can just pick her up from there after David gives us the proposal for the security system. Then we can grab lunch, stop at the jewelry store, and go to Home Depot and pick up a few things to start on the downstairs remodel."

Hoping that we can handle most of the security installation without upsetting Molly too much; she will find out soon enough that someone broke in last night.
 
“Yeah, Sarah was going to take her to school with her daughter.” I say with a deep sigh as I take a seat on the bed and place my mug on the side table. “Baby, we don’t have to go to the jewelry store today. We have enough going on without thinking about that too.”
 
"Let's just see how the day goes; I need another cup of coffee. Are you about ready to come downstairs? I need to go to the basement for a few minutes so that I can get the exact measurements for the remodel. We can plug those into the computer at Home Depot and find out exactly how much lumber I need to start the walls. David can also tell us where he will need to run the wiring for the security system."

"Come on down when you finish your make-up; I want you help in deciding how much room we need for the office if we are both going to use it."
 
“Alright.” I say, tipping my chin up to kiss you before you leave. I finish dressing and come downstairs, helping you to measure the basement before we head to Home Depot.

“Are you sure that you don’t want to create your own space in the house? It’s nice that you want to give me an office and Molly a play room, but you really do need you own space, babe.” I insist as I grab a basket and follow alongside you as we head to the lumber section.
 
"I'll have a computer desk in the office and I will have a work bench in the garage; that's all I need. We can have Molly and the little one in the family room next to us in the basement."

Talking to the lumber manager, we quickly determine just how many 2x4's I need; they will deliver them tomorrow. Picking up the rest of what we need - nails, hammers, etc. - I take you back to the paint section so you can pick out paint for the office and family room. This is going to keep me busy for a few days.

Talking to the boss on the way out, I meet the Paint Department manager - where I will be working; pick up my schedule starting in a couple of weeks; heading back to the house to meet with David about the security system.
 
Meeting with David, I’m put a little more at ease with the thought of a good security system going up in the house. He’s very nice and willing to work a deal for a friend like you. I insist on paying full price for the work, but he simply winks and tells me that it’s taken care of.

“Baby, I’m going to go upstairs for a while.” I say, kissing your cheek and leaving you to whatever you need to do. Once back upstairs, I curl up on the bed and drift off to sleep after another crying jag. I can only hope that you can’t hear my sobs as I hold your pillow close against my lips to dampen the sounds.
 
After David leaves with all the information he needs, I check on you; we need to leave in a few minutes to pick up Molly. Can't help but notice a few wet spots on my pillow; obviously, another crying time, to be expected.

Waking you gently, you stop in the bathroom to clean up your make-up and drive to Molly's school. On the way, I fill you in on David's schedule to install the security system; not as fast as your would like, but only a couple days until he can start. He said he should only need one day o get it up and operating. With motion detectors and door sensors, the entire house (basement to second floor, and garage) will be covered.

Waiting as you head in to get Molly, I get a call from the DA's office about our visitor last night; he gave them everything they needed to know, in exchange for a 5-10 year prison term. Only people involved were your ex, the prick we picked up earlier, and this guy.
 
I put on a happy face for Molly as I pick her up from her class. She’s a happy little ray of sunshine today and her teacher says that she hasn’t seen anything that might be disturbing coming from her. I’m happy at least for this little bit of news and I thank her for watching out for her.

Molly is of course talking nonstop as I get her buckled into the back of your car before I slide into the passenger side. “Let’s go pick up something for lunch. Then we can head home to start moving things from the basement.”
 
"Sounds good to me. Your choice, babe."

I know it's going to be healthy, so I start driving in the direction of your usual choice. After a healthy lunch, we go on home and, of course, Molly insists on being in the middle of moving things around. After moving everything to one corner where we won't be doing any construction, "That's about all we can do today until the lumber is delivered tomorrow."
 
“Alright.” I say, dusting off my hands after we’re finished with the moving. Glancing down at Molly, I can see how happy she is and knowing that I want to keep those good feelings going, I think quickly.

“Molly, let’s go bake some cookies for after dinner. Babe, how about ordering a pizza for dinner? And then maybe when we’re done baking, you and Alan can go and rent a movie while I do some laundry.” Molly’s eyes grow wide as she looks at you and nods.
 
"Molly, go on up and get your hands washed; I need to talk to your Mom for a minute before she comes upstairs." Waiting until she starts up, "While you were in the school, I had a phone call from the DA's office. They have been leaning on the guy from last night pretty hard and finally got more info from him. It seems that your ex, the prick we caught outside the school, and this guy were the only three involved. By the time they get done, they will all (including your ex) be charged with conspiracy to commit a crime (probably murder) and will be behind bars of a lot longer than they expected. So, babe, it looks like we can put this all behind us and try to get our lives back to normal, or whatever that is for us."
 
I take a moment to digest the news that you’ve told me and I sigh deeply. “I suppose it’s good to hear that, but I want you to make me a promise, Alan. I don’t want Molly to know what happened last night. Let her be a little girl and let us worry about the adult things. I think she’d been through too much in her life in the first place.” I say as I step into your arms and hold you tightly, seeking both comfort and reassurance.
 
"Babe, if you hadn't suggested that we keep Molly in the dark, I was going to talk to you; I feel the same way right now." Holding you tight to give you some reassurance and comfort . . . "I'm here for both of you love. Now go get busy with those cookies."
 
Back
Top