Ideas for a real MMORPG.

Stalzyn

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 18, 2015
Posts
1,914
I have created some good RPs, engaged in many captivating ones and even enjoyed reading outstanding fantasy stories here on lit.
Yet i haven't come across an online role playing game here on lit.
I mean surely its possible to create one right?
I don't just know. Maybe its a stupid idea that hits during battle can be accounted for, or that weapons in medieval stories should have a price tag, and that characters purses should be accounted for.
Okay maybe its a foolish idea. Please someone tell me it is, so i'll get my mind off the possibilities.
But if i ain't foolish or stupid, if its possible, let me know gamers and RPers. I really need your ideas.
'cos i'm going BUNKERS!!
 
Last edited:
Do you mean... like a roleplay that is not freeform, where people have to adhere to some sort of objective rules instead of power-writing their way through every obstacle?

Sure there are ways of doing that, but I feel that GM fiat is as necessary here as in pen and paper RPing, so while I have considered GMing for a roleplay here now and then, I have never really gotten into using objective rules. Tried once, and the process was tedious, because it involved making maps.
 
Do you mean... like a roleplay that is not freeform, where people have to adhere to some sort of objective rules instead of power-writing their way through every obstacle?

Yeah, that's what i mean. I have always seen cases like this. " and Jaxril did some acrobatic move and landed behind the large orc, he chanted a spell and the orc was reduced to ash, at the same time he swayed away from a flying dagger then chanted a blizzard spell to..." oh come on. Who is this guy?
Sure there are ways of doing that, but I feel that GM fiat is as necessary here as in pen and paper RPing, so while I have considered GMing for a roleplay here now and then, I have never really gotten into using objective rules. Tried once, and the process was tedious, because it involved making maps.
And recording the possible hit or attack of each weapon as well as relating it to its cost and level of the character.
Yeah it will be tedious.
But i can handle it.
 
Well, the number-crunching would be as tedious as you make it. I never use published rulebooks because they are full of the stuff and are impossible to use in the forum format with a modicum of speed.

Personally, I´ve always thought it would be cool to make a "self-playing system". That is, one where the players can roll and work out the results themselves instead of having the GM interpret their rolls. So for example, having monsters with fixed stats would automatically let a player know if his roll was good enough to hit or not. The downside to this is that players would then know exactly what to do to win... unless you go into mechanics like elemental damage and special abilities to fudge about with things a bit.
 
There's a good chance that the "self-playing system" will work.
We just have to figure out a way of limiting characters abilities in respect to their current levels.
 
I'm a gamer, mmo specifically and used to be a programmer. People always ask me to go in on making a new video game but I'm really not qualified for that.

I think what you guys are talking about is very interesting... I'm on my phone now, can input more later. I'm chuckling to myself with thoughts of making Lit come alive in an mmorpg complete with battles, quests and bosses.
 
I believe there are rule systems designed for just this sort of situation but I do not off the top of my head remember them and am too lazy to find em. But I would be fine playing in something if we could come up with a unique world.

I LOVE using the rules people set in place to limit me, to power game the fuck out of my character anyway. Please, bring on the challenge.
 
I think what you guys are talking about is very interesting... I'm on my phone now, can input more later. I'm chuckling to myself with thoughts of making Lit come alive in an mmorpg complete with battles, quests and bosses.[/QUOTE]
Oh how the thought entices me.
These is what i think.
Rules for a MMORPG
* characters will have a particular class and limited to weapons and abilities of that class. This means that no situation where a mage will be a good swordsman.
* every class has a set of weapons and abilities that they can use.
* every weapon has a cost and is limited to levels earned.
* every weapon and ability has a hit/attack point.
* both monsters and characters have health points(HP) which is reduced by hit/attack points of weapons and abilities.
* To know the level of each character, it should be written in the title bar at each post. Something like,
James Reigh - Swordsman: Lv21.
Those are what i could come up with. Any one have ideas for how they should be leveling up
 
Last edited:
That sounds like a good ideal In regard to maps and enemies, I know of a site that handles that for you. Ever heard of DonJon dungeon maker?
 
The only real issue you might encounter is timezones and participants. But overall if you have the maps, gameplay and all that small itty gritties sorted out, I can't see why you can't create a RPG on Lit. I have seen a person create a Choose your own Adventure game in the ORP and it actually worked.

But it died down because said creator have a knack to start up these fabulous threads and then after two weeks or so he leaves. Only to resurface again a few months later under a different name.

But that aside, if you can create threads with say Rules, Gameplay, Maps etc and actually get players dedicated to play certain roles like Smiths, Appraisers, Shopkeepers etc I think you can create quite a good game.
 
But that aside, if you can create threads with say Rules, Gameplay, Maps etc and actually get players dedicated to play certain roles like Smiths, Appraisers, Shopkeepers etc I think you can create quite a good game.

I believe it is possible Tertius. Though as i'm using my phone i'll leave the mapping to Jadeknight or check out the site myself.
I'll start sketching out some few more rules and gameplan.
The problem will still remain "consistent players"
So i'm thinking that the shopkeeper, smiths or even soldier will have a life outside the normal game thing. That's they will have needs, wants, ambitions and goals. Etc. Which will cost them.
I'll bring up a country at the blink of war or under seige and keep roles open for players to partake in and see how many are willing.
 
Just remember that when you move from a peaceful time to the brink of war, it will also have an influence on shop prices. During a war prices will be mad since getting stock is a pain and if the town or shop is in a warzone, that will have prices sky rocket since a few raids on said town will have the owners of shops have to start from scratch.

Of course you can bypass all of that and just have the economy stay stable no matter the circumstances, then I would say that your idea is not too bad.
 
Just remember that when you move from a peaceful time to the brink of war, it will also have an influence on shop prices. During a war prices will be mad since getting stock is a pain and if the town or shop is in a warzone, that will have prices sky rocket since a few raids on said town will have the owners of shops have to start from scratch.

Of course you can bypass all of that and just have the economy stay stable no matter the circumstances, then I would say that your idea is not too bad.

Our take your idea Tertius, prices should eleviate during the time of war. And ofcourse this is the time of war.
 
Our Storyplan

After the death of Emperor Grandluri, the once united empire fell into chaos. Every chieftain of every clan claimed right to the throne as Grandluri was without heir.
The Oracle who has been silent for centuries after creating our world finally spoke, declaring that the clan to rule Ellesingrad must possess both the trinklet of faith and the sword of light.
The Chaos grew worse after this as the location of both items were unknown....until rumors that a scholar in an isolated monastry had wound up on an ancient map that leads to the trident of fate.
Now the adventure has begun as every clan has sent out a search party.
THE IDEA: Two major clans will be recruiting players. While the other clans in the empire will be NPCs controlled by me. The GM
 
Last edited:
Gameplay

These Eight things should be put into consideration at all times.
HP: HEALTH POINTS
*Always at 100% unless increased by magic or decreased from hits.
*Becomes full when you rest or make camp. Half full when you eat.
MP: MAGIC POINT
*Increases as your level increases
*Reduces when you cast a spell
*Becomes full when you sleep or take special pills/items
EGY: ENERGY
*Allows not only for combat but general overall gameplay and roleplay. E.g "sex will reduce your energy as well as fighting. So know the right time to screw. Lol."
*Increases as your level increases.
*Managed by you, reduced by me the GM due to how it was managed/utilised.
AT: ATTACK POINTS
*This is subtracted from opponent's defense point then the result is taken from their HP
*Increases from weapon equipped.
DEF: DEFENSE POINTS
*Attack points of opponents is removed from it. The result is then removed from your HP
*Increases from armors equipped.
 
Last edited:
EXP: EXPERIENCE POINTS
*Determines your level. "A thousand exp = one level."
*Increases due to how your character plays his/her role, both in gameplay and roleplay.
LV: LEVEL/RANK
*Allows for use of higher weapons, armors, spells and special abilities.
*Increases both MP and Energy
*Increases your daily pay
*Increases after a thousand experience is earned.
GILS: MONEY
*Our money
*Because i want this to be somehow real. Characters are paid daily. That's our real day. So if you're offline for three days and each day you a level whatever warrior is paid let say a hundred gils. Be expecting three hundred gils in your purse when you get back online. Ofcourse on your return, it won't last long. Lol.
*Other sources of money is selling your items, going for side quests and missions or running into bandits and chest which in such cases i the GM determine how much the purse weighs. don't want someone running into a thousand gils everynow and then. lol.
 
Last edited:
The Two Clans

Every Clan needs the following.
* A Chieftain
* An Advicer. (Not neccessary)
* Archers
* Warriors
* Mages/Witches
* modify another class if you have one.
There's no limit to the number of players in each clan.
The first registered persons in each clan have the privilage of being the chieftain, name the clan and play an additional character if he/she wants.
***
CLAN A
Energised folks whose defensive combat style is famous in all the lands.
+EGY and +DEF to every character under this clan.
CLAN B
A very rich race with great offensive combat style.
+GILS and +AT to every character under this clan
 
Last edited:
Battle

During a battle you're free to control the NPC opponent as you wish. Only when two opposing players are fighting do we need to calculate attack points and so on.
Special abilities: every player should have one or two special moves/spells or abilities. It's for you to think up and for me to determine its factors.
Something like this
Name: Mark Stein
Class: Warrior
Special: The Blind Slash
Effect: Deals 70 damage to all nearby foes
Description: a series of slash done simultaeneously while spinning. Waves caused from it is enough to kill foes.
Energy: -40
Level: 1
Because i'm a considerate GM, you're free to determine two of the following when creating specials. Energy, effects or level
 
Last edited:
An Example of a battle.

Mark Stein
Clan A
Warrior
HP: 80, MP: 5
AT: 37, DEF: 35
EGY: 90
EXP: 1725, LV: 1
GILS: 231

**
**
Mark stumbled back a little from the blow, (-20HP), seeing Jarl Klirt's men surround him, Stein had no choice but to do a Blind Slash (-40EGY). Falling to one knee due to energy drain, the warrior smirked as his enemies laid scattered dead around the field from the wave blast of his newly purchased sword. Stein turned gaze to his left, to Jarl Klirt who was struggling back up. His massive axe glowing blood red as Klirt's large hands gripped it. Mark straightened himself up, very much aware that the battle wasn't over.
**
Mark has ended a turn (by making a move) and has now left an opening for Jarl Klirt who had a 100HP and 25DEF. The character playing Jarl Klirt will now consider his stats before acting.
Someone who understands should use Jarl's stats below to continue the fight.
HP: 55, MP: 5
AT: 56, DEF: 25
EGY: 62
SPECIAL: FLAMING AXE, -45EGY, +83AT
 
Last edited:
Want to JOIN. Here's how to

Battles to be won require not just the proficiency of what you're equipped with and your current stats but also your creativity and manipulation of your environment.
I know this game requires me to be online 24/7 which is something i can't do. But i do promise a daily login. You the players are expected to do the mild calculations during battles.
This sounds like it will be quite fun. When will people be able to start joining?
I'll create two OOC threads. One for each group. In each OOC your character details, personality, Gameplay attributes like HP, MP, AT, SPECIAL ABILITIES both earned and yet to earn as well as exp points, levels, gils and item list will be displayed.
Discussion about your character and clan should be held there. While optionally private plans and strategies can be held using PMs.
Overall Game and Story discussion will be held here on this OOC. Every change created by the GM (me) will be announced here.
 
Last edited:
To Join do this

Post your bio here.
Name:
Age:
Clan:
Class:
History:
Description:
Special ability: (check for how to create special abilities in my previous posts)
No weapons. Buy them.
Once i have accepted your character and his/her special ability and allocated your stats including energy level and gils. Then you can go to your clan OOC and Upgrade the new soldier.
Name:
Age:
Class:
Description: A pic if you feel like
History:
HP:
MP:
EGY:
AT:
DEF:
EXP:
LV:
GILS:
SPECIAL ABILITIES open to your use and its cost.
Then create an item list with the title of the post as "Mark Stein's Inventory." don't use my name. Lol.
**
Every clan OOC is ran by the clan cheiftain which is yet to be defined. First person to post his/her character bio here earns the privilage.
I'll be communicating with the chieftains through PMs or this medium. To allocate their clan's daily which will then be divided among you in the clan. According to your level.
 
Last edited:
If i get encouraging responses, players and ideas. I'll post the maps, quests, create the clan's OOC and finally the IC.
Hope this works for an MMORPG ON LIT.
 
I really wish Lit's had quality spoiler tags because I can see this getting the kind of long that makes me sad. As a result I will attempt to break it up possibly between multiple posts. I'll try to keep this in some sort of order.

A lot of other people have already touched on the basics. I however disagree that no published books should be used. Pathfinder is available online for free. It's quite extensive and while there are things with it that I don't particularly love (I'll leave some of that for later) that doesn't mean it's not a functional system. In addition the D20 system used in it is what's known as the Open Game License, which without boring you with details means in a crazy world where you think this is worthy of publication you can use most of the stuff because it's simply free.

I think you need to have a clear idea in your head of your goal when you do something like this. Games are one of those things where in my opinion you should work towards the middle. The first idea you should have really ought be the END idea of how it all comes together on a mechanical level. What do you think is fun an important? Then you set the ground floor and work towards it.

So I think the first important question is how do you want this to play? I'm seeing a few interesting concepts like daily allowance (I'm going to call it allowance simply to keep from being married to a particular flavor. Far too often people have a great idea for sat a car and when all the pieces they come up with are for zoo they flip the fuck out. In this case an allowance of 100 is just that. It doesn't matter if it's 100 blood points for Lynden to vamp around, 100 grunts from the home land for Jarl Redbeard to fling at the evil dragon or 100 gigavolts for Mark to power his space ship.) For an online setting that's not a bad plan and I've seen it used on a few games. The only thing that's important at the moment is you get an allowance of 100 per day.

Which leads to both a good and bad thing. I've played with the OP before. I'm uncertain how much you're going to really enjoy a day to day plan. You get on serious tears where you take a tone of actions in a day, and also a day in verse may last a week IRL. Having us get paid something once a day does set basically a "pace car" if you will.
 
Name:
Age:
Clan:
Class:
History:
Description:
Special ability: (check for how to create special abilities in my previous posts)
No weapons. Buy them.
Once i have accepted your character and his/her special ability and allocated your stats including energy level and gils. Then you can go to your clan OOC and Upgrade the new soldier.
Name:
Age:
Class:
Description: A pic if you feel like
History:
HP:
MP:
EGY:
AT:
DEF:
EXP:
LV:
GILS:
SPECIAL ABILITIES open to your use and its cost.
Then create an item list with the title of the post as "Mark Stein's Inventory." don't use my name. Lol.
**
-snip-​
.

Okay here you're a bit ahead of yourself. First I can't pick a class until I know what they actually do otherwise it's just a word I attach to myself. And you have to define the stats at the start. The stuff sounds basic but it really isn't. EGY (presumably energy) isn't a common stat in Pen and Paper RPs, in fact it usually crosses over with MP if it does exist.

Even if I did I'm not seeing where the limits for these things are set or based on what.
 
Back
Top