Over Apologizing

Jada59

Literotica Guru
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this as an online search has turned up nothing. Nothing that relates to what I mean anyway...

I find examples of people who have low self esteem, anxiety, have been abused, or apparently women in particular will apologize when they shouldn't. Such as when someone else bumps into them. This is not what I'm talking about.

I'm currently having issues like this with certain people in my life. I won't use them as examples but rather give one that happened to me years ago.

I used to work at a store that had weekly ads that started new every Sunday.

Every Saturday night, this guy came in right at closing time. He always claimed to want to buy a lot of things that were on sale and apologized for coming in so late. Generally what we would do if a customer tried to come in as we were locking up was to ask them what they wanted to buy. If it was just an item or two, we would send an employee to quickly pick up those items and then get them through the check out. But if they wanted to buy a lot of stuff, we would tell them to come back another time.

This guy however, claimed to want to buy items that were on sale that day but would not be on sale the next day. He always made the claim that he would buy a cart of two worth of items. This was actually a lie as I never saw him buy a thing and neither did anyone else.

The store manager would point to the self serve desk where the customers could write rainchecks for out of stock items. They would tell him to fill out rainchecks for what he wanted and to come back later. Again he would apologize and claim things like that his writing was slow and his English not so good. He was Asian.

I write fast. So the store manager would tell me to write the rainchecks for him. I would then have to spend a good half an hour to an hour, writing rainchecks for things I knew he would never buy. He often requested large amounts of the items as well. This screwed up our inventory because often we had to place a special order to get enough of whatever it was to fulfill the quantity on the raincheck, and he would never come back to buy.

All the while I was seething inside and writing out the rainchecks, he would continue to apologize repeatedly for coming in so late and making me do all the extra work. Often, he would grab my arm and make me stop writing so he could have my full attention and look into my eyes to make sure that I realized that his apologies were sincere.

The constant arm grabbing and apologies did nothing but anger me and slow me down. But.. To others, he was perceived as a very nice man. Why? he spoke in a calm, soothing voice, he smiled at me and constantly apologized to me. Meanwhile I wanted to poke the point of my pen into his eyes. I would have had to remove his glasses first. Or just knock him flat or curse at him or variety of other things that I full well knew I couldn't do because I would lose my job if I did!

So... Why would a person offer so many apologies for their poor behavior? I say "poor" because to me that's what it was. Doing something on purpose to tick me off. All the while having words spew out of their mouth indicating that they understood how busy I was, how they knew I just wanted to go home. How they knew I didn't want to have to order all of those sardines in mustard or dry roasted peanuts for them. And then spewing apologies that were insincere?

What causes a person to do this? And now can I stop it? Thanks!

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this as an online search has turned up nothing. Nothing that relates to what I mean anyway...

I find examples of people who have low self esteem, anxiety, have been abused, or apparently women in particular will apologize when they shouldn't. Such as when someone else bumps into them. This is not what I'm talking about.

I'm currently having issues like this with certain people in my life. I won't use them as examples but rather give one that happened to me years ago.

I used to work at a store that had weekly ads that started new every Sunday.

Every Saturday night, this guy came in right at closing time. He always claimed to want to buy a lot of things that were on sale and apologized for coming in so late. Generally what we would do if a customer tried to come in as we were locking up was to ask them what they wanted to buy. If it was just an item or two, we would send an employee to quickly pick up those items and then get them through the check out. But if they wanted to buy a lot of stuff, we would tell them to come back another time.

This guy however, claimed to want to buy items that were on sale that day but would not be on sale the next day. He always made the claim that he would buy a cart of two worth of items. This was actually a lie as I never saw him buy a thing and neither did anyone else.

The store manager would point to the self serve desk where the customers could write rainchecks for out of stock items. They would tell him to fill out rainchecks for what he wanted and to come back later. Again he would apologize and claim things like that his writing was slow and his English not so good. He was Asian.

I write fast. So the store manager would tell me to write the rainchecks for him. I would then have to spend a good half an hour to an hour, writing rainchecks for things I knew he would never buy. He often requested large amounts of the items as well. This screwed up our inventory because often we had to place a special order to get enough of whatever it was to fulfill the quantity on the raincheck, and he would never come back to buy.

All the while I was seething inside and writing out the rainchecks, he would continue to apologize repeatedly for coming in so late and making me do all the extra work. Often, he would grab my arm and make me stop writing so he could have my full attention and look into my eyes to make sure that I realized that his apologies were sincere.

The constant arm grabbing and apologies did nothing but anger me and slow me down. But.. To others, he was perceived as a very nice man. Why? he spoke in a calm, soothing voice, he smiled at me and constantly apologized to me. Meanwhile I wanted to poke the point of my pen into his eyes. I would have had to remove his glasses first. Or just knock him flat or curse at him or variety of other things that I full well knew I couldn't do because I would lose my job if I did!

So... Why would a person offer so many apologies for their poor behavior? I say "poor" because to me that's what it was. Doing something on purpose to tick me off. All the while having words spew out of their mouth indicating that they understood how busy I was, how they knew I just wanted to go home. How they knew I didn't want to have to order all of those sardines in mustard or dry roasted peanuts for them. And then spewing apologies that were insincere?

Maybe he was lonely?

When I was a teen after school I'd work at our local supermarket stocking shelves and packing groceries.

I had a lot of elderly people who would ask where something was and then start a conversation.

When I graduated to a cashier they would come to my check out with one item or ask me for directions.

Are the people you are referring to in your life now doing similiar things like asking for your help and bugging you? Or seeking advice and ignoring it?

Grabbing your arm is crossing the line. He sounds like he was getting a control kick from the manipulation, grabbing you and forcing prolonged eye contact. He apologises to make it harder for you to stand your ground without feeling like a dick. And I'd have been really careful about going to and from work.

Last edited:
Debbie . He may be lonely - he may be nice, but as Dolf pointed out he may be dangerous. The store manager was gutless, he/she should have told the guy , 'either shit or get off the pot' - either way 'Don't come back'.

Maybe he was lonely?

When I was a teen after school I'd work at our local supermarket stocking shelves and packing groceries.

I had a lot of elderly people who would ask where something was and then start a conversation.

When I graduated to a cashier they would come to my check out with one item or ask me for directions.

Are the people you are referring to in your life now doing similiar things like asking for your help and bugging you? Or seeking advice and ignoring it?

If he was lonely, then why would he show up when people were trying to leave?

I really don't want to spell out the current stuff but something like me being hella busy with asst. things. Like bodily pet stuff on the carpet, plumbing problem, deadlines that I needed to meet, and a ton of mundane stuff.

I told the person that I was busy. Most people would leave it at that. Nope. Person wanted to know what I was busy with then kept misunderstanding what I said and giving wrong/unwanted advice. I kept telling them that I did not need help. I needed to be left alone so I could do these things. Mind you, this person was not physically here so could not physically help.

The messaging system we were using could not be shut off as I was waiting for important replies from a couple of other people.

From there it all went downhill. They told me to let them know when I was free. I was not free until about two days later but they still kept messaging me.

So in my mind, a lot of my time was wasted running back to the computer to see who was messaging me, them apologizing to me, saying they understood, wishing they could help, etc., instead of just letting me be. They also threw a lot of self pity in there, forcing my focus onto them instead of where it should be.

By the time I finished what I was doing, I felt like this person had drained all of the energy out of me. And yet? An observer said they thought the person I found to be annoying was a very nice person and I should give them a chance. Gah! So it's like that.

Personally I don't understand loneliness. It's not something I ever really had to deal with. It was hard for me when we moved to Cape Cod only because there were so few people of my age. A lot of elderly people and some younger ones. It was hard to find people to relate to.

Last edited:
Grabbing your arm is crossing the line. He sounds like he was getting a control kick from the manipulation, grabbing you and forcing prolonged eye contact. He apologises to make it harder for you to stand your ground without feeling like a dick. And I'd have been really careful about going to and from work.

I was. The particular store manager who was always there when this happened was himself mentally ill and paranoid about a lot of things. He wasn't dangerous but he was annoying. Knowing how he was, he was probably in the back room watching the security camera the whole time.

Debbie . He may be lonely - he may be nice, but as Dolf pointed out he may be dangerous. The store manager was gutless, he/she should have told the guy , 'either shit or get off the pot' - either way 'Don't come back'.

Our store managers were for the most part weak as water. They were all terrified of losing their jobs due to a customer complaint and it did happen because our district manager seemed to love doing that. Better to be a little fish in that company. They did file for bankruptcy about two months after I retired from there.

The manager needed a slap.

I don't feel like I have to put up with people. A lot of people (especially women, who conditioned to feel bad about saying no) are so scared of being seen as mean or selfish that they tolerate even the most obvious manipulation. The profuse apologies are often just a way to make people feel guilty. Fuck that shit.

Agreed the touching excessively is not ok.

My elderly neighbour is always patting my hand but I've known him for decades and he only does it with his family and I and it's totally different from someone grabbing at your arm.

I don't feel like I have to put up with people. A lot of people (especially women, who conditioned to feel bad about saying no) are so scared of being seen as mean or selfish that they tolerate even the most obvious manipulation. The profuse apologies are often just a way to make people feel guilty. Fuck that shit.

That's what I was thinking. I tend not to feel guilty unless I really did cross a line. I have quite the smart mouth on me and have said mean things to people when they pushed me too far. I don't always even feel guilty then but once in a while I'll say something unduly nasty! :D Then I feel a bit guilty.

In this case, I feel like the other person has problems that I did not cause and no amount of attempting to guilt trip me will work. It will only push me farther away from them.

Could you clarify things a bit? I'm not sure if I got it right:

Every Saturday night, this guy came in right at closing time. He always claimed to want to buy a lot of things that were on sale and apologized for coming in so late.

All the while I was seething inside and writing out the rainchecks, he would continue to apologize repeatedly for coming in so late and making me do all the extra work.

But.. To others, he was perceived as a very nice man.

Meanwhile I wanted to poke the point of my pen into his eyes. I would have had to remove his glasses first. Or just knock him flat or curse at him or variety of other things that I full well knew I couldn't do because I would lose my job if I did!

You're not referring to those who apologiese excessively and annoyingly as either low self-esteem or gooddie-two shoes habit.
The guy pissed you off because:
- it wasn't a one time, but a habit to come in after hours and buy nothing.
- you felt he was trying to provoke you or guilt-trip you?

And that he ended up being seen as a nice guy because of crocodile smiles, while you as off standish? Unfairly so, given that You were the one sacrificing time&doing favors.

Done that many times.
A combo of selfishness and caring about what people think about you.

I don’t see the similarities in the stories. You have the ability to turn your computer off, or turn the sound down and the ability to not reply to this person if you are busy, or if you only want to interact with other folks and not them.

I don’t see the similarities in the stories. You have the ability to turn your computer off, or turn the sound down and the ability to not reply to this person if you are busy, or if you only want to interact with other folks and not them.

The similarities as I see them are that these people are doing annoying things seemingly on purpose. Then thinking that repeated apologies make it okay. Then an outsider will wonder why I am getting annoyed and tell me that the annoying person is just being nice and I'm being mean to them. Currently it is more than one person although in some cases it's sporadic.

I can't realistically turn off my computer and walk away because there are others I communicate with online that I need and/or want to hear from. When I have tried to go that route, it leads some people to psycho dialing me on the phone until I answer and that's not good either. I also can't turn off or ignore the phone because there are needed calls from others as well.

Some of these people assume that something bad has happened to me if I don't answer them right away. To be fair, I do have asst. medical conditions, one of which could lead me to drop dead at any time. It likely won't and their messaging won't change a thing in terms of my possibly dropping dead.

What I can't understand is what causes these people to bug and pester and think it's okay to keep up the poor behavior, then think that repeated apologies make things better.

Last edited:
Could you clarify things a bit? I'm not sure if I got it right:

You're not referring to those who apologiese excessively and annoyingly as either low self-esteem or gooddie-two shoes habit.
The guy pissed you off because:
- it wasn't a one time, but a habit to come in after hours and buy nothing.
- you felt he was trying to provoke you or guilt-trip you?

And that he ended up being seen as a nice guy because of crocodile smiles, while you as off standish? Unfairly so, given that You were the one sacrificing time&doing favors.

Done that many times.
A combo of selfishness and caring about what people think about you.

Ah that could be. I don't think I am selfish but due to some medical conditions, I do have to put myself first, pretty much all of the time. I also don't care what people think of me. I try to be nice to everyone but I also have a very smart mouth and that can get the better of me. I am who I am and I own it!

Ah that could be. I don't think I am selfish but due to some medical conditions, I do have to put myself first, pretty much all of the time. I also don't care what people think of me. I try to be nice to everyone but I also have a very smart mouth and that can get the better of me. I am who I am and I own it!

I was referring to myself, I didn't express it properly.

I've done many times what he did - leaving things until the last moment.
The thing is, you feel really embarassed/guilty that your poor organizational skills are burdening someone else thus you appologise non-stop. The remorse is genuine.
But I didn't realize the selfish /self-centered part until someone pointed it out.

Unfortunately, you can't do that & risk an official complaint in Customer services.

I want to offer a different scenario for the elderly dude. I only interject because I have had people like that in my life. It could be that the man was, yes lonely, but maybe he was suffering from a version of OCD.

I have a very close relative who is in the beginning stages of dementia. She realizes she isn't remembering things you've just discussed, then she apologizes for not remembering. She knows you just talked about whatever she's asking again. She knows it's becoming a scary thing, but she can't help it. So she apologizes a lot. I mean, a lot. It must be absolutely horrible for her. She can't stop it. Maybe your fella had a routine that he was stuck in following his OCD demands. He knew what he was doing, but he couldn't help but do so. He knew it t was a burden, but had no way to stop. So he apologized. A lot. Sometimes a person's brain fires in many different directions, add a mental stumbling hazard and it's caught in that loop. Like, I knew I had to stop drinking. It was killing me right before my eyes. I could recite those words over and over to myself. Even when I walked the aisle to buy that next bottle, get it home and pour it into a glass, and keep on repeating as I quickly got drunk. It's such a feeling of helplessness. One may not understand until confronted with it.

Or maybe he was a freaky loon that got off on watching you work at his instance. Got off on watching your internal struggle with rage. That could be it I guess. Who knows?

I was referring to myself, I didn't express it properly.

I've done many times what he did - leaving things until the last moment.
The thing is, you feel really embarassed/guilty that your poor organizational skills are burdening someone else thus you appologise non-stop. The remorse is genuine.
But I didn't realize the selfish /self-centered part until someone pointed it out.

Unfortunately, you can't do that & risk an official complaint in Customer services.

Ahhh... I see. I'm not like that. I will apologize for being late but then I move on.

I want to offer a different scenario for the elderly dude. I only interject because I have had people like that in my life. It could be that the man was, yes lonely, but maybe he was suffering from a version of OCD.

I have a very close relative who is in the beginning stages of dementia. She realizes she isn't remembering things you've just discussed, then she apologizes for not remembering. She knows you just talked about whatever she's asking again. She knows it's becoming a scary thing, but she can't help it. So she apologizes a lot. I mean, a lot. It must be absolutely horrible for her. She can't stop it. Maybe your fella had a routine that he was stuck in following his OCD demands. He knew what he was doing, but he couldn't help but do so. He knew it t was a burden, but had no way to stop. So he apologized. A lot. Sometimes a person's brain fires in many different directions, add a mental stumbling hazard and it's caught in that loop. Like, I knew I had to stop drinking. It was killing me right before my eyes. I could recite those words over and over to myself. Even when I walked the aisle to buy that next bottle, get it home and pour it into a glass, and keep on repeating as I quickly got drunk. It's such a feeling of helplessness. One may not understand until confronted with it.

Or maybe he was a freaky loon that got off on watching you work at his instance. Got off on watching your internal struggle with rage. That could be it I guess. Who knows?

LOL to the last part!

My dad had a form of dementia but his case was weird because he knew that something was wrong. I once asked him a question about painting something. He didn't know the answer. So he asked for a pen and paper. He drew a map with the driving directions to Lowes.

Then he drew a floorplan of the inside of of Lowes then walked his fingers across that to the paint desk. He told me to go there and the man at the desk would answer my question.

My mom OTOH has dementia but does not seem to know it. She walks around pointing to her head and telling people that she's still got it! She constantly accuses others of having dementia and not knowing it. She will physically and verbally attack sometimes if she has forgotten something. I have had hour long rants on the phone with her accusing me of all sorts of things. Can't hang up on her or she'll keep calling back, leaving messages and/or trying to drag others into the fight. She also visibly laughs at people who she thinks are senile and makes fun of them. She lives in senior housing so that's not good!

The golf course where I used to work had a large number of senior golfers. I don't think too many of them were senile though. I do know some were lonely. I remember my first day of work, a coworker told me not to pay attention to them. I did not do what she said.

To me, they were customers! You shouldn't be rude to customers. I was warned about one guy. He had taken his wife golfing on her birthday and she had a heart attack on the greens and died. They told me that he would come in on her birthday and stare out into the area where she died at 2:00 p.m., the time of her death. They told me to lock up the pro shop so he couldn't get in.

I didn't do that. Instead, I baked him a cake. I even bought little birthday plates and napkins.

Sure enough, at 2:00, he stood by the window with tears in his eyes. I cut a slice of cake and handed it to him. He looked baffled and asked me what it was for. I did do a lot of baking in those days so it was not uncommon for me to bring in cookies or brownies for people. I told him that the cake was for his wife's birthday. He was overjoyed!

Sometimes all it takes is something simple like that. But none of these people ever bothered me when I was busy. They would wait politely if I appeared busy and always asked if I had time to talk if they wanted to chit chat.

I guess we're all different.

I had an in law with full blown dementia. She swore there were people tapping her phones and knocking on her door and windows and running. She blamed the mentally handicapped son of the manager of her assisted living complex. For awhile we believed her. She gave us no reason not to! It happened so fast for us. I'm sure she was struggling with it for years and was always berated by her daughters of being a drama queen and doing odd things for the attention. They did that for a long time, even when we knew what it was. They had a tough time when she died. They were overcome by shame and guilt from how they treated her. As they should of. Cunts.

I had an in law with full blown dementia. She swore there were people tapping her phones and knocking on her door and windows and running. She blamed the mentally handicapped son of the manager of her assisted living complex. For awhile we believed her. She gave us no reason not to! It happened so fast for us. I'm sure she was struggling with it for years and was always berated by her daughters of being a drama queen and doing odd things for the attention. They did that for a long time, even when we knew what it was. They had a tough time when she died. They were overcome by shame and guilt from how they treated her. As they should of. Cunts.

My mom sometimes gets her days and nights mixed up. She'll call me in the wee hours, hysterical and tell me that something so horrible has happened that she can't even speak of it but maybe she'll tell me tomorrow. Then she hangs up and I never know what it was she was referring to. Sometimes I wish they'd cut the outgoing phone lines at like 10:00 pm or something. They could always turn them back on for the staff as need be.

1. How long is a piece of string.
2. Speak to your manager and let her deal with it.

That example was many years ago. Manager was a guy. He didn't deal with it. He didn't deal with a lot of things. Just wasn't able to, I guess.

That example was many years ago. Manager was a guy. He didn't deal with it. He didn't deal with a lot of things. Just wasn't able to, I guess.

Speaking from experience, this is the correct avenue. Not your responsibility

Back