New author, Stories have been stuck for a week

Canchon

Experienced
Hi all,

New author here, but my stories have been stuck in pending for a week now. I submitted the first one on Sunday, and it's still pending, so far I've written 3 chapters and submitted them. I guess I'm just ranting now, but I hope you'll be on the look out for them. The series is called 'Embracing our Truths'.

Don't forget to drop links into this thread once they go live, and there'll be half a dozen folk wander by and take a look, drop you a line.

Hi all,

New author here, but my stories have been stuck in pending for a week now.

They should be published any time now. I’m struggling to recall a story of mine that hasn’t taken a week from submission to publication

Update on stories

Well, the story was sent back,resubmitted with the added the disclaimer for legal age, and broke up the dialogue. Here's hoping Laurel and Manu approve

Well, the story was sent back,resubmitted with the added the disclaimer for legal age, and broke up the dialogue. Here's hoping Laurel and Manu approve

My first submission got kicked back for bad grammar and formatting. You live and you learn. Good luck!

My first submission got kicked back for bad grammar and formatting. You live and you learn. Good luck!

How bad does grammar have to be for it to be refused. There is some atrocious grammar in some stories on the site.
I didn't think stories were a ctually read before they are posted, just given a word search for telltales of improper content.
What is meant by wrong formatting?

How bad does grammar have to be for it to be refused. There is some atrocious grammar in some stories on the site.
I didn't think stories were a ctually read before they are posted, just given a word search for telltales of improper content.
What is meant by wrong formatting?
The usual poor formatting issue is incorrect punctuation, especially dialogue. It doesn't matter if someone is using American English vs English English - if they can't punctuate properly, that's the issue, not where they live.

Stories are skimmed quickly, mostly with an eye on content and glaringly bad grammar.

The usual poor formatting issue is incorrect punctuation, especially dialogue. It doesn't matter if someone is using American English vs English English - if they can't punctuate properly, that's the issue, not where they live.

Stories are skimmed quickly, mostly with an eye on content and glaringly bad grammar.

Exactly. Periods go inside of quotation marks!

My first submission got kicked back for bad grammar and formatting.

I’ve read stories with high ratings which have been littered with spelling and punctuation errors that have slipped through the net. Probably due to the vast amount of stories that are submitted. I think it does come down to luck in many cases. Nothing can be done to improve the situation unless Laurel gets help which won’t happen although it would be nice to think so.

I haven't published a story in over 5 months but I understand things have slowed down. During the two-year period I published stories the average time to wait was 4-5 days after posting. Sometimes stories are published much more quickly during contests. I submitted a story on the eve of a contest deadline and it was published within 2 hours, but I had a track record at that point of not having had any stories rejected for content or grammar.

So, don't sweat it if it's been a week. This seems to be a common lament. The site owners are short-handed.

I’ve read stories with high ratings which have been littered with spelling and punctuation errors that have slipped through the net. Probably due to the vast amount of stories that are submitted. I think it does come down to luck in many cases. Nothing can be done to improve the situation unless Laurel gets help which won’t happen although it would be nice to think so.

I think she pays closer attention to first time submissions.

By that reckoning I’ve had ten first time submissions. lol.

Perhaps sticking to one category is the answer?

Rejected once again, for punctuation out side of quotation marks... jeez, she's dropping the hammer on me, lol. I've seen stories with worse grammar, spelling and typing on here, too.

Rejected once again, for punctuation out side of quotation marks... jeez, she's dropping the hammer on me, lol. I've seen stories with worse grammar, spelling and typing on here, too.

You should feel honored by all the attention that Laurel's giving you. :)

I'm afraid that's a fundamental thing to get right. It's not the other stories you need to refer to as a quality standard, it's your own.

Perhaps you should find an editor to get you over the line - start a new thread in the Editor's Forum, maybe?

I'm afraid that's a fundamental thing to get right. It's not the other stories you need to refer to as a quality standard, it's your own.

Perhaps you should find an editor to get you over the line - start a new thread in the Editor's Forum, maybe?

I'm over the hump, and it looks like I'll be published 3/30, once the story is published, I'll set the link in signature.

Start a new thread

I’ve had a brief look at your story and would make two suggestions:

1. Begin a new thread in story feedback (this thread has outrun its usefulness) asking for advice on your first story. You will find there are several very experienced and very good writers prepared to give you excellent advice.
2. Turn on voting. I see that you’ve got comments turned on but the vast majority of stories don’t get comments. Turning on voting will give you a much better indication of how your story is being received.

Back