The Tattoo Artist (closed)

Travis sighed, rubbing his eyes, yea, he’d fucked up, and she was pissed, no that’s an understatement, he could almost see the anger washing off of her in waves. He sat back as the city passed by, his attention shifting between watching her, and looking out the window. He was at a loss, which was starting to become normal around her. He didn’t know why it mattered but he wanted her to like him, and that thought caused him some consternation, it shouldn’t matter, business deal failed, and he failed in trying to win her to his side, he’d walked away from several projects, so why did it bother him now? Well, he knew why, she’d given him a verbal kick in the balls, and he, well, kind of admired her for her strength and determination, and wanted to try and make things right. As they pulled up to the restaurant he let her exit first then join her. Looking around at the line of people waiting to get in he walked to the Maitre’d who smiled at him Ahhh Mr. Stone, welcome back, your usual table I presume? Travis just nodded, the older man giving Lexa a surprised look that turned into a full fledged smile Madam he bowed gently at her right this way please Travis ignored the grumbles from the bystanders still waiting to get in as they passed. He guided them to a secluded table in a private dining section for high end and VIP clients, low light and soft music playing Travis nodded his thanks and shook his head tipping the man generously.

He smiled gently as he unfolded his napkin and menu a waiter coming over Mr. Stone, your usual? Travis looked to Lexa “would you care for some wine? Please help yourself to whatever you wish if youd prefer something different, they have a good selection to choose from, beer to high end liquors and wines, the Moscato D’asti is a favorite of mine”
 
A glance back over her shoulder to those grumbling in the line silenced a few. A few comments of "What's She doing out here?" Mumbled under breaths as they walked past them. A snarl barely veiled as they were shown to some uppity area of suits and egos.

Bourbon... I highly doubt you have any of the old original from the area. Westlyn Family Bourbon? Just leave the bottle of you do if not. Whatever bourbon you have and just leave the bottle on the table.

She was trying to be calm and polite about this but was not fond of leaving Miner's Row.
 
The waiter looked to Lexa, a very small smile on his lips Westlyn Family, indeed we do madam, we in fact keep most of the ….”old family” varieties, If you are interested in the Westlyn Brand, we also have the Hillard family recipe for your enjoyment” he smiled and nodded to both before retreating to get the drink orders, Travis sat casually, he’d been watching her since they’d entered the building and caught the looks crossing her face and to say she was unhappy was an understatement, the barely contained rage “I thought you might like this place, I think you will find their menu selection to be a fair bit more varied” he smiled gently and opened his menu, “Lexa, im going to be frank, i was hoping to actually just get to know you, no more business, no more bullshit, and somewhere a little less public, especially after my melt down.” he sat back slightly as the waiter returned with their drinks, then departed again “I know right now you would probably like nothing more then to just bite my head off and leave me dead in an ally, I know I probably should just walk away, but I just cant seem to get you out of my head, and its going to sound cheap, and repetitive, but well, I respect you, and well….i like you…..”
 
Last edited:
You heard their words as we walked in. I do not leave Miner's Row unless there is a problem.

She smirked at them carrying the old family recipes from the area. She was surprised that the rest of this placed cared for ancient tradition and fare.

Sorry if I am not all excited by a suit claiming to like me. Last thing me that happened... It didn't go well... Especially for me.

There was a calm in Miner's Row that didn't exist here for her true nature but she would have to maintain this unnatural calm outside of her lands.
 
“I did hear, at least bits and pieces, and I will admit it has me even more curious about you now, some of them obviously know you, and you don’t leave? Come on, youre free to come and go as you damn well please, I don’t care what anyone says, “ he huffed, irritated that people would care where “she” was, he set down his menu finally deciding what he wanted and folded his hands on the table in front of him, Sorry if I am not all excited by a suit claiming to like me. Last time that happened... It didn't go well Travis stilled at that, watching her as he frowned “well, I hope by the end of the night to at least try and make you smile, saying im sorry I know just doesn’t cut it in this day and age, “ Travis quieted down as the waiter came back and he lifted his menu again, the Sword fish with an order of Shrimp he laid his menu aside and smiled gently as the waiter looked to Lexa expentantly, “madam?” he said quietly, “I was told to inform you that our bouncers informed of us how rude some of the guests waiting in line where to you and they have been, removed….we apologize for their stupidity, we hold to the old ways, as we know “you” do” he smiled warmly “your food is on the house, our compliments”
 
She just looked at the waiter.

Rabbit... Desert veg...

She silenced a hiss that wanted to rip from her at all of this.

Thank you

Was all she managed to say choking down instinct to do so.

As for you Travis... We will see what happens.
 
Travis just watched her, the more she stewed, the worse he felt, and he knew at this point that im sorry was never going to be enough, “Lexa, I don’t know why but I still feel like im missing something, iev done tremendous damage to any friendship we might have had, but just feel there is something more to all of this “ he quickly up his hands in a gesture of surrender “not digging, not poking, this is just me being curious, I do honestly want to get to know you, I see the way the people here look at you, ive heard more then my share of muttered words and it just doesn’t add up to me” he took a sip from his glass and politely wiped his mouth, setting the napkin aside “I was forced into the system when I was too young to remember, I was told my parents were convicted drug Dealers, or traffickers or something.” He paused, wetting his lips and sighed “I bounced from foster home to foster home, most people took one look at me or asked about how I ended up in the system and they wanted nothing to do with me afraid I was a “drug baby” or addicted, even though I never showed signs” Travis looked around, “Finally some elderly lady came in one day, “ a small smile quirking up his lips “she took me in, she’d been a business mogul, no kids, no family, owned a small book and thrift shop”

Travis swallowed a few times as the memories came back, he had been fond of her “I was 8 almost 9, little to no schooling, she home schooled me, she was active in her church functions, helping the homeless and down trodden, like me, shes the drive behind what I do, or was, when she died she left me everything she had, which turned out to be a considerable sum after the taxes, land and buildings were auctioned off and given to the historical society, and I had decided to continue the work she started, little by little, new homeless shelters, food banks, parks and fields for community kids, along the way I picked up donors, people who wanted to help me, and well, longish story short here I am, “
 
When did you stop listening to the people you wanted to help and started deciding that you knew what was best for them?

She listened to his story and noticed perhaps the human was not entirely a lost cause. Time to ask a few questions to get him thinking.
 
When did you stop listening to the people you wanted to help and started deciding that you knew what was best for them? Travis fell silent, his brow furrowing, he cleared his throat as he sat back, the food being brought out he smilied and asked for a refill on his wine before he settled back, taking to organize his plate and cup, and while his body seemed to know what it was doing it the far off look in his eyes as he sank into his thoughts, blinking after a few minutes “i……………..i don’t know………….” He looked at his plate for a minute then blinked again seeming to come back to himself as he picked up his utensils and started in on his food, but his mind continued to work, working through the last 16 years he just couldn’t seem to pinpoint where he thought he may have gone wrong, and his shoulders slumped, a look of consternation on his face and he shook his head “I don’t know……I should though…….shouldnt i?” although not realizing he had spoken that last thought out loud he looked up “how is it?” he inquired as he tilted his chin to her plate
 
The food is fine.

She nodded taking a bite or two before continuing.

It was perhaps so gradual that you had no way of noticing. When was the first time you had to offer more money to get your way about a development?
 
When was the first time you had to offer more money to get your way about a development? Travis frowned some, quietly eating “the only one that comes to mind, piece of property out in Utah, Big name corporate company wanted to buy the land to turn them, into Condo’s and “vacation” homes, the near by city’s Water treatment facility was aging, and they were in desperate need of an upgrade and replacement, I fought for a year before I won the land and resold it for a loss to the city to build on, that’s when I picked up my first sponsor, some Charity out of California” he frowned as he continued to think “after that…………….abandoned warehouses, dilapidated and condemned homes, anything I could get an agreement on I bought…”
 
She listened as she ate.

When it was some beyond personal reason to first pitch a tantrum and toss money. There has to be an event that turned you suit like all those politicians who claim to act for the people.
 
Travis continued to eat, mulling over her words, more then once he’d just tap his fork against his chin, the waiter had come and gone a few times to refill drinks and bring the desert menu as Travis finished his 4th glass of wine “There was……….this development down in Port Aransas Texas, they wanted to demolish and put in luxury apartments, I wanted to put in a water park and aquarium, I spent months argueing with the contending buyer, then one of my sponsers came to me about it, “ Travis shook his head and laid his napkin aside “I don’t really remember what we discussed, I’d gotten more then a little wasted, he convinced me to buy the land next to the development, vacation homes, time shares and the like, I’d really wanted that park, I made the landlords offers they couldn’t refuse for it, several million, “ he fell silent, and shook his head “I was friends with a Texas politician, they wouldn’t sell, even after the hurricane came through , so they lobbied to have the land Eminent domained and gave it to me, …and well, yea……..” he ran his hand through his hair “Fuck.,.” he sighed,
 
So... Playing politics is the line crossed to become a suit?

She glanced around with a silent snarl she did not like leaving her lands.
 
So... Playing politics is the line crossed to become a suit? Travis sighed and rubbed his face, putting his fork down, he licked his lips “I didn’t do my diligence on the land before I bought it, it was only after the forced sale and when the dozer’s rolled I found out that one of the churchs I thought was abandoned, had turned out to be a small catholic Boarding home for Abandoned and foster children, 52 kids had lived there, and it pissed me off I hadn’t known, that I’d just destroyed those 50 something kids only home they had, but I got a few large contributions from various donor’s because of the successful sale and they convinced me to turn and resell the land to the realtor for the luxury apartments/condos, “ he shook his head “I was still new to the game, still learning the ropes, I should have known better, but then I had all this money come in, I could finally do what I wanted, I didn’t have to scrape and beg my donors and sponsors for help on funding anymore, no more boardroom brawls and arguments on why my idea would be good for a piece of property, i was going to help everyone, regardless if they thought they wanted or needed it, “ he sat back tossing his napkin on his plate in disgust “and now, decades later, here I am, fighting for something I thought was right and would be better, and you come along with a bitchslap so hard that I felt like I was that kid again, “

His shoulders settled as he sat back, half disgusted with himself, and half amused with her “so yea, deal after deal, someone didn’t want to sell, I made them offers they couldn’t refuse, I made my way into high profile social circles, won some awards for innovation, design, and well, there ya go” he finished his wine with one swallow and shivered before putting the glass down “ok, I think that should be enough, starting to hit now “ he commented “So yea, thanks beautiful, I mean it “ he canted his head to one side as he watched her “I guess next time I should pick something closer to home, you’ve been snarling all night, or rather, maybe, if? Theres a next time?” he blinked, obviously the wine was stronger then he’d anticipated, “so what was with the snake drawings in the cave? Ive always had a fascination with reptiles, and snakes, ive had a few over the years, “
 
Yeah closer to Miner's Row... Though probably not Songbird for a while.

A veiled smirk at the mention of the cave drawings.

The natives that called these lands home before settlers and Miner's came here had many beings they believed it. Probably just art work to one of them. Those caves to them were like the Ancient cathedrals were to Europeans. Holy ground sacred space. Just leave them alone.

She hissed slightly hearing a few comments of people walking past them led to another table. A well restrained mind and body not lashing out to grab "young arrogant money" by the throat and ripping him in half as her eyes followed the trio clearly matriarch son and potential daughter in law. No ring but a baby on the way. But then again the young woman was only one of a few fading sexual scents on the young man.
 
Yeah closer to Miner's Row... Though probably not Songbird for a while. Travis smiled some, well, that was at least promising, It wasn’t a flat out refusal on her part of wanting to see him again, he finished his wine then blinked as he looked at his glass “mmmm, this is good, I’ve lost count how many ive had, that’s weird..” he set the glass aside as he caught a small smirk twitch across her lips, god she was pretty when she smiled, although it was fleeting, it pleased him to know at least since their first meeting he’d made her smile, if only briefly. As he tidied up his plate and utensils to give to the waiter when he returned he listened as she spoke about the caves, and while they still peaked his interest, he didn’t care to spend another night in jail. Then he watched, curious, the range of emotions that passed her face, the slight hiss that she quickly hid furrowing his brow, then his gaze too watched the trio that passed them, he heard something whispered but didn’t hear it, but the concentration on Lexa’s face was curious, cold, calculating. As the waiter brought the bill travis’ attention was taken from her and he smiled, sticking his card into the receipt cover he handed it back to waiter for payment. “Lexa, I…………” Travis trailed off, seeming to search for the words in his fogged mind, his hand straying to the covered tattoo that she’d given him, stroking it, a habit he’d seemed to pick up, “I know that a guy like me, or, well……..me…..couldnt probably offer you much, as you’ve proven ive lost my path and I need to fix what ive done, but I think I should get back to the simpler life, and well……you don’t pull your punches, what would you say, I told you I would appreciate your input, on my current projects,” the waiter returned with his card and receipt and he signed, leaving a generous tip and nodded tucking his wallet away.

“I think I could use a new set of eyes, and perhaps a better moral compass then I currently seem to possess to guide my decisions, and well……….it may be the alcohol talking, or maybe not I don’t know” Travis trailed off, as he stood and offered a hand to help her from her seat, “I mean, your beautiful, sharp as a needle and as alert and dangerous as a snake, so calm, yet so ready to strike, but I feel like I need to drop to my knees and beg forgiveness, its weird, “ he cast the trio they passed a withering look, as he caught them whispering and insulting Lexa as they passed, Stopping briefly by the Maitre D and tucked a $100 bill into his pocket and whispered something in his ear before he walked Lexa out to his waiting car “wether you despise money, or not, I would like to hire you, or……..consult? I think I would value your input on future projects and developments” he paused again in his ramblings as they returned to the relative safety of the limo, the sky had darkened, the moon high over the city, casting a white glow on everything “I would like to kiss you” Travis blinked “did I just say that outloud?....ok…..no more Wine….”
 
Last edited:
A brow raised at his offer with an inward smirk at his comment of her being like a snake. She listened finishing off the bottle as they prepared to leave. A veiled hiss again as she passed them only to spot him talking to the Maitre D.

What's up?

Once in the limo she was about to answer him before he blurted out about wanting to kiss her. A smirk danced across her lips.

Light weight or... Nervous?
 
What's up? Travis looked to her with a smirk “oh nothing, I just made a minor…….suggestion…….about the trio that decided to bad mouth you” he grinned as the car pulled from the curb, he watched the edges of her mouth twitch and curve into a smirk, she really did look beautiful when she smiled, he was surprised at how much it changed and lightened her face. He found himself staring at her lips for long moments, before he refocused on her face, rubbing his eyes briefly “umm? Light weight? Ummm” he blinked again, “no, well, not usually…..this time, seemed to umm…..go right to my head….i think..” he smiled “ and Nervous? Well yes, you do make me nervous, Look, I’ve fucked up, and you really seem like the kind of women who would be perfectly content burying a body, its fascinating, and well, kinda of a turn on, and well, Ive been an asshole, “ he shifted his body, leaning forward as he braced his arms on his knees, his tongue licking along his bottom lip, appraising her as the lights shifted and flashed as they rode along “ive never met a women like you before, strong and confident, and take absolutely no bullshit, its kind of hot, “ The back of Travis mind was screaming at him to shut up and he was a rambling idiot, and he needed to stay away from the wine, he didn’t feel drunk, but he felt……..comfortable…..around her, something telling him if he really let himself he Could trust her, maybe? He didn’t trust people easily, but now that he’d spent time with her, and not argueing and screaming at her like some spoiled bastard. Well, he wasn’t a manwhore, by any means, but well, he had to think maybe they could have something? Was he wishing?

“thank you, Lexa……” he said genuinely, slowly leaning into her, even though they sat kitty corner, his hand raised hesitantly, his eyes watching her for any sign, again the sober part of his mind was screaming “DANGER, DANGER” but he didn’t seem to be able to actually stop himself as he slowly cupped her cheek, again his eyes felt drawn to her lips “forgive me……” he said, leaning in slowly, lightly brushing his lips against hers
 
She raised a brow at the kiss.

Perhaps I could help you. Though why did you kiss me?
 
Though why did you kiss me? Travis blinked, “ummmmmmmmmmmmmm…….” His voice trailing off into a low hum as he fought for words, “i…………………don’t…………………………………….know?” he stammered “it seemed like a good idea, I mean, I don’t have anything else I could offer you, you would reject money, I could buy you a gift but somehow I don’t think you’d like that either, and well……..i wanted to kiss you……..youre hot and take no shit from anyone…….ive had this really bad urge and image in my head since you gave me my first tattoo, of just crawling to you and begging forgiveness,” ok, he really needed to shut up now, seriously, 3 glasses of wine and he was rambling like an idiot, ok, well that didn’t count the couple shots of Vodka he’d had before they went out to steady his nerves. He really did want this to go well and yea, he’d been a greedy, arrogant mother fucker and deserved everything that had been said to him. The caves where he’d been arrested had clearly been marked no trepassing and ok, he ignored it anyway, he thought he’d be able to talk his way out of anything, and again she’d proved him wrong. He had never been any good at apologies, a dumpster fire had a better chance of apologizing. And It made him feel awkward that this women, who he really should just walk away from, give up and go tuck tail for a while and look for a new project. Had wormed her way into his thoughts daily, he just was unable to stop himself from pressing his luck and coming back again and again. why?!?! “ummmmm….ahh hell……” he sighed and let his body slump back into his seat, rubbing his face before he leaned down and buried his head in his hands “Christ at this rate throwing myself at your feet is probably a lot smarter move then just trying to speak and failing, because apparently that ability has left me as well”
 
A laugh... She couldn't help it. She clearly was not laughing at him just the situation.

You are an entertaining one you know that. After the little outburst in the Songbird I should have made.you banned from Miner's Row... But... I didn't. After the near sult to Miner's Row I should of slit your throat... But... I didn't. I wanted them.to throw the book a d the whole jail at you for trespassing in the caves but I didn't. And now I probably should have slapped you but I didn't. The offer of throwing yourself at my feet was too entertaining for that.
 
You are an entertaining one you know that Travis just looked at her, listening as she spoke, and his shoulders slumped more as his faults and mistakes were listed off. Her laugh was abrupt and he looked at her, not missing how much her smile changed her face, made her seem almost ethereal, sighing he forced himself to sit back. And now I probably should have slapped you, but I didn't. The offer of throwing yourself at my feet was too entertaining for that. He looked at her, his eyes searching, here he was, stuck in a position he never before had ever been in, in unfamiliar territory. With this women that had power he didn’t understand, to scare an entire city. He’d never had control of his life until the women who adopted him had taught him otherwise. And now, decades later, Lexa was showing him that he wasn’t as stable as he believed. And it shook him back to being a boy and helpless against everything. Licking his lips he sighed, “its obvious………….i still have much I need to learn, and perhaps need rediscover about myself……..youre right, you should have slapped me, perhaps it would have been better then this pain I feel in my chest now as I look back at the last twenty years” he swallowed “well, I can apologize till my face turns blue, but…..well……if I can at least entertain you after screwing up this bad, then perhaps I should start there” Travis let himself slip from his chair to the limo’s floor, as he knelt before her, head hung low “im sorry, for being so arrogant, would you show me a better way? Help me ?”
 
She was perhaps for once surprised. She watched him move to the floor with a raised brow.

I can try I suppose. Why not.
 
I can try I suppose. Why not. Travis sighed, defeated, memories of his childhood flooding back, he felt like he was 5 years old again, being told he'd never be good enough, always be a failure, no one wanted him. The taunts from the other kids in the foster system he'd interacted with, every time someone over looked him for adoption the insults and teasing only got worse. Now 20 something years later, everything he'd worked for, this women had thrown him back to being a child, Oh he didnt disagree with her, she had been right about him, at least in this, in trying to be better he let the money he finally made blind him to the fact he made deals that went against everything he had wanted to work for, because it was money, something he'd never had, and now that he had it, he'd stopped taking no for an answer and turned into the bully.

"im.....just....soo...tired...." he shook his head, his voice cracked as he faught back the emotions swamping him "of being a failure" he whispered,
 
Back
Top