Lit writer's agony

LaRascasse

I dream, therefore I am
Is it a trend with readers to favorite a story but not vote on it?

I have a story which receives a couple of favorites every week (currently over a 100 favs), but the damn score hasn't changed in ages! It's infinitely more frustrating because the story, as it stands, is on the cusp of the Hall of Fame for its category. If that damn score increases the tiniest bit (even 0.01) I will be in the middle of the Hall of Fame (where I was briefly before falling off).

Also, I can't find the story if I expand the Hall of Fame list. So it's either on the list published on the main hub page or not at all apparently.

[/rant]

I have observed that too. Evidently readers aren't as invested in voting and rating as the authors are. They likely see favoriting or sending a nice private e-mail as more supportive than voting without realizing they can do both.

I had one reader left glowing comments on all three of my stories and said they were voting 5 stars, but there was no change in the number of votes - not sure what happened there.

The top-25 list on the main hub seems to be updated regularly. At least for Lesbian, the top-50 list you get when you click through to "more Hall of Fame" has not updated in a long time (ask me how I know...) so several of mine are languishing in invisibility waiting for that extra .01 to make it back onto the category hub.

There is always the chance that not everyone who favs it reads it. They bookmark a bunch of stories then never get around to them.

But the voting thing bugs me a little as well, It takes a second. Takes us however long to write a story for free to entertain them, but many won't vote.

I have one poem here and it has a handful of votes(so easy to tell if it gets a new one) I had someone PM me last night raving about how well I captured what the poem is about, no vote.

As for the top list? I don't know what category your in, but incest has been broke awhile and Lesbian is partially broken. I do notice the part of the top list they show on the category hub does not match the full list when you click "see more hall of fame stories"

And you may be better off with it not there, because when it gets there your next frustration will be it getting trolled because you took the spot of some trolls favorite author. Happened to me all the time with SWB, I would creep into the top three then get bombed back down. Now the list does not work at all.

Readers vote.

I notice how my scores creep up long after you assholes ding and forget about them.

So fuck you.

Readers vote.

I notice how my scores creep up long after you assholes ding and forget about them.

So fuck you.

NO one here is dinging your stories. Like me, most people in the AH have never read one of your stories. Most people really don't care what you write. So get over it.

NO one here is dinging your stories. Like me, most people in the AH have never read one of your stories. Most people really don't care what you write. So get over it.

Trolls ding stories.

I caught the attention of someone who in the span of a few minutes left nasty comments on a dozen stories calling ke a talentless faggot and sick sack of shit. I reported one and lauel wiped them out and said this was a seriel troll she has to deal with every week

You know what your Muslim pals say? THROW A ROCK INTO A PACK OF AH FAGGOTS AND THE ONE THAT GETS HIT, HOWLS.

I have a story which receives a couple of favorites every week (currently over a 100 favs), but the damn score hasn't changed in ages! It's infinitely more frustrating because the story, as it stands, is on the cusp of the Hall of Fame for its category. If that damn score increases the tiniest bit (even 0.01) I will be in the middle of the Hall of Fame (where I was briefly before falling off).

Also, I can't find the story if I expand the Hall of Fame list. So it's either on the list published on the main hub page or not at all apparently.

[/rant]

I have a few theories. Did I mention they are only theories?

1 - The Hall of Fame list is bugged and doesn't update as it should.

2 - The score of the story has been archived. Meaning the score of your story will be fixed after a certain period of time to save server space. The server discards all polling information, ie. everyone who voted on the story, leaving only a static score. All subsequent voting is illusionary in effect.

3 - Your story has already approached the long-term expected score from Literotica readers. The few extra votes you have received, besides being insignificant to the vast amount of votes you have already received, only tend to confirm the score you have already received.

4 - There is a conspiracy to deny LaRascasse recognition. The plan is for LaRascasse to only gain post-humous recognition so that LaRascasse will continue toiling away unspoilt by fame.

Last edited:
I have a few theories. Did I mention they are only theories?

1 - The Hall of Fame list is bugged and doesn't update as it should.

2 - The score of the story has been archived. Meaning the score of your story will be fixed after a certain period of time to save server space. The server discards all polling information, ie. everyone who voted on the story, leaving only a static score. All subsequent voting is illusionary in effect.

3 - Your story has already approached the long-term expected score from Literotica readers. The few extra votes you have received, besides being insignificant to the vast amount of votes you have already received, only tend to confirm the score you have already received.

4 - There is a conspiracy to deny LaRascasse recognition. The plan is for LaRascasse to only gain post-humous recognition so that LaRascasse will continue toiling away unspoilt by fame.

You confuse THEORY with HYPOTHESIS.

Trolls ding stories.

I caught the attention of someone who in the span of a few minutes left nasty comments on a dozen stories calling ke a talentless faggot and sick sack of shit. I reported one and lauel wiped them out and said this was a seriel troll she has to deal with every week

But . . . but . . . I thought you prided yourself in not erasing any of these comments. And yet not just erasing the comments yourself, you went to Laurel to, I guess, get the votes erased too? ;)

What irritates me, although I understand it's just what the readers are going to do, is the favoriting just as a form of indexing the stories to maybe read--and then later unfavoriting them all.

But . . . but . . . I thought you prided yourself in not erasing any of these comments. And yet not just erasing the comments yourself, you went to Laurel to, I guess, get the votes erased too? ;)

What irritates me, although I understand it's just what the readers are going to do, is the favoriting just as a form of indexing the stories to maybe read--and then later unfavoriting them all.

Jack Daniels does all of LCs dirty work.

I reported them because the site has been removing them on their own anyway. Anything with faggot and nigger have been targeted.

And the reason I pmd her was to tell her who I felt it was. She said it wasn't but I don't see how as supposedly they don't store ip addresses.

Eta in my pm I told her I was leaving them there and she could delete them if she chose. I didn't remove them and wouldn't have.

Last edited:
I think it's perfectly understandable for reader's not to vote.

I listen to music on youtube all the time, and watch videos, and I've never voted or left a comment.

But at the same time, I think it could be like a habbit. I think if more authors left a small comment saying "please vote below," and the reader who has never voted loved the story, then votes, then that reader will likely continue voting on a regular basis.

Also, I've also seen a new story of mine get favorited, but when I checked the vote total, there was no change. As mentioned, it could have been someone bookmarking the story. Or it could be that the person voted earlier and decided to come back and favorite it. Or, of course, the person doesn't vote.

I agree with PILOT, readers FAV to bookmark.

But my scores do creep up with time. A lot depends on when he works.

I have observed that too. Evidently readers aren't as invested in voting and rating as the authors are. They likely see favoriting or sending a nice private e-mail as more supportive than voting without realizing they can do both.

I'm more likely to vote than comment. If I see a story I don't like I'd rather not vote or comment.

If it's a really good story I sing it's praises hard.

[/rant]

Post the link.

There's a few stories I've favourited as bookmarks, as I liked the premise but wasn't overly fond of the execution. Some have subsequently been edited and improved.

I try to vote as a rule, but if I'm torn between two ratings, I may not. I've returned to stories in a different mood and been less or more able to appreciate them, so voted.

There's a few stories I've favourited as bookmarks, as I liked the premise but wasn't overly fond of the execution. Some have subsequently been edited and improved.

I try to vote as a rule, but if I'm torn between two ratings, I may not. I've returned to stories in a different mood and been less or more able to appreciate them, so voted.

So mostly you stay confused.

I see people favorite my stories or even me as an author and not leave a single vote. And I know they don't, because the number of votes doesn't change (nor does the score of course). I don't care about hall of fame and so on, but I do wonder about the lack of voting. It's frustrating and discourages me from posting more stories here.

Something that's always seemed strange-and I'm sure its happened to all of us-is you'll check your page and see a bunch of hearts and then note one person faved a dozen of your stories, at that point why not just bookmark the author?

I once had someone go through the trouble of bookmarking SWB 1-39. They clicked on every story and clicked fav. they could have faved me in a couple of seconds.

personally I favourite stories for one of two reasons, either i want to book mark a story to return to later, i sometimes find this easier than favouriting a writer. i often look at the list of my faves and think Who are all these people? if i see a story title i can usually recall what the story's about. i never bother favouring more than one story by the same author, i;d just favourite the author. so if i favourite a story for this reason i usually don't vote because i haven't usually read it at that point.

my other reason is if i want to support a new author I do it to 'signal boost' a new story. if i read a story i like thats only just been published and its still on the new stories list the another reader scanning down the list may base their choice of what to read on the number of favourites. (I don't think you can see how many favourites a story has had on any other of the other lists) I normally vote too when I do this.

I hope that makes sense, its kind of past my bedtime

Last edited:
It may also be that someone who leaves a positive comment, faves a story, or faves you as an author votes you five stars more than once from the same IP address and all of them get wiped.

I tried an experiment with my latest story on voting. All of me previous stories, no matter which category, and having anywhere from 2,700 views to 87,000 views, have a rate of votes to views very close to .5%. Now, I have a small sample size, comparatively, so I'd be curious to see what someone with a greater number of stories sees in theirs. In the last FAWC, Tx_Tall_Tales said he thought the reason his stories got so many votes was not that he has a legendary following or that he's a really classy guy, but because he includes a note at the end of all his stories asking people to vote if they liked it. I tried it with my most recent story and have consistently had a 2.5-3% voting rate since it posted on Friday. That may be a function of the category, but as far as I can tell that's an outlier for number of votes on a story for the category for that week and I've never written in that category before. I'm also not going to delude myself into thinking I have a loyal pack of readers looking out for my stuff, to either love it or dog it.

Back