The Assassin's unexpected Prize (closed)

Carvagio had activated a screen for her to observe the training station. He might survive after all. At least in some of the less lethal pits. She pondered making her way there as well. Carvagio would protest taking the safety protocol off the training suite but perhaps he should see what he could be up against by watching her train. She would not risk the single blood enhanced or not though she didn't know why.

Carvagio thought about what he said.

Your story sounds much like Taylanna. Even among her people she was perhaps an anomaly. Most are not ready to leave the division of their birth till what humans would have called mid teens she was of a proficiency that mandated her creating her own division by age 12. Myself and the ship came into her division employ when she was 15. Now one once so sought after beloved and feared has no one... Other than myself and perhaps now you and no great cause or task. It is sad I think is the term.

Studying the weapons.

Repair blue corridor on the fourth floor and perhaps I could recreate them in a more real and permanent arrangement.

Repair blue corridor, on deck four and perhaps I could recreate them in a more real and permanent arrangement. Jack nodded as he stared at them, his breathing was beginning to even out, the sweat on his body cooling giving him chills. He took in a deep breath, and let it out slow, forcing his muscles to relax, a smirk curving up the edge of his mouth. Setting the pistols down on the table and returned to the control terminal, smiling more he queued up a series of programs with increasing difficulty, He spent the next 6 hours doing various exercises, combat scenarios, He was bruised, sore, and beaten up, oh he’d gotten his ass kicked by more then one holo creature and he knew he was going to be a mess for the next few days but he finally felt alive again, he sat against a wall, clothes torn, he struggled to his feet, the whole time he had been aware that the AI had watched, silent, and he was curious why the AI just didn’t leave him alone, more than once he’d glanced over to see the thing watching him, and that momentary distraction had gotten him more than one punch or kick to the face that he hadn’t seen coming. Struggling to his feet, he groaned and gripped his shoulder, it had been dislocated when a minotaur looking creature had grabbed him and slung him against a wall like he was a wrecking ball, he’d felt it pop but he fought on. Finally the AI had ended the session claiming extreme stress and that he was close to passing out. Jack had growled at the damn thing but a large boot to his chest had sent him across the room and into the far wall, his head ricocheting off the bulkhead and causing him to see stars, he barely managed to maintain consciousness before Carvagio ended it. “fine, fine, “ jack growled as the AI chattered about getting to med bay and letting him look after his wounds, limping to the door he stopped as it slid open, jack took a deep breath then drove his shoulder into the doors bulkhead, letting go a vicious curse as it popped back into joint and put him in sheer agony, he leaned against the bulkhead for a moment, needing the threatening darkness at the edge of his vision “ok…..so…..i Might have over done it a bit” he cursed again, panting hard “well come on, let see what I broke” he said as he limped to the med bay

It is perhaps a good thing the safety protocols were in place. Please tell me you are smart enough to never deactivate them like... Taylanna.

The AI literally seemed exasperated suddenly.

She has gone to train removing all safeties... Stubborn! Let's get you mended. We can fix your injuries to the point they do not exist at all I hope even though you are a single blood. Then I will have to go monitor her.

Please tell me you are smart enough to never deactivate them like... Taylanna. Jack looked up, frowning as he looked at the AI, not missing the interesting note of annoyance in Caravagio’s voice “There are Safety locks on the training programs? God damn it, no wonder I’m not dead,” he grumbled, “Is she going to be ok? I have a feeling by the tone of your voice that she’s pushed the limits of her own abilities, or perhaps had a few close calls. “Jack grunted as they entered the med bay and he sat down, his body already stiffening up with swelling, “Is she ok? Or, going to be ok? Obviously, it’s not the first time she’s done it and she’s still alive,” Jack grunted as Caravagio got to work, and not that he cared, he just met Taylanna, but well, she was at this point really his only friend? She hadn’t shared much of her past but he could piece enough together enough to know she was like him on some level, things out here were rougher then anything he’d ever seen before, he’d met 2 people, Her, and that Gorilla of a monster back at the station and he knew things had to have been worse for her then anything he’d ever done before. As the AI continued to poke, and prod and scan “Is there anyway to watch her?” he said softly “im curious about her skills, and her training, but she wouldn’t really talk about it with me, “

Carvagio turned briefly to another panel and the screen lit with the training area and Taylanna ripping into a fairly large almost armored looking creature like a strangely calculated wild woman. Upon seeing that Carvagio moved to another panel and the cabinet door slid open and a small box with what almost looked like a poison symbol on it moved to the counter. He then turned back to his patient.

Toxic filthy creatures. Only capable of understanding eat sleep destroy.

Jack frowned as he turned and watched the screen, quickly noting the box the AI pulled out “poison? Or antidote? Why does she fight with the safeties off, “ and while he too made a mental note to turn them off on some of the less rigorous program’s he had plans to explore “especially if she doesn’t have too? I mean, she seems capable, “ he stated as he rose to stand, watching the screen with interest as he took in her form, his movements, the way her body curved and twisted “hmmm, really not bad” he muttered to himself before Caravagio got his attention again, blinking he snapped himself out of his thoughts “well, lets go put a stop to this, cant have her killing herself and stranding me with just you for company, “ he half joked as he made his way down to where she was,

Antidote actually.... I do not see her responding well to your ending her training. On steady increase she can train for at least 48 hours without falling from injury

The ai did however follow when he left. After all watching her launch at the new guy as if believing him part of the simulation might be entertaining.

Antidote actually.... I do not see her responding well to your ending her training Jack tuned out the AI after that, smirking slightly as they made their way to her training bay. He leaned against the door for a bit watching her, tucking the Antidote into his pocket he walked in, taking in the scene that greeted him as he watched her move, allowing his eyes to wander over her form, take in the grace of her movements and the way her body moved, he smirked and walked into the training room. Not having been programed into the scenario, or so he assumed since the creatures she was fighting ignored him he approached her, “Hey! Think its time to call it quits beautiful” his eyes drifted to her ass and he smirked “knock knock” he said as he gripped her shoulder giving it a squeeze as he attempted to pull her back from what she was about to attack.

A shift in her movements set her ready to throw him into the creature which would make it a good thing he had the antidote if it didn't shatter on impact. It seemed she would not recognize him in time to which left Carvagio no alternative

Program HALT immediately!

The ai shouted

Jack reached out to her, a smirk on his face as she whirled and grabbed him, a moment of shock as he felt her body movement, felt her turn, her strength amazed him and he only briefly heard the AI shout something before she grabbed him and used the momentum of her move to pull him off his feet in a standard throwing move he knew all too well, the momentum of her swing gave him only a few seconds to react and he kicked off from the floor just before his foot lost contact and and used her own power to shift the new momentum to flip forward instead of being thrown, grabbing her own arm and lifting it up and over his shoulder as his back now faced her and he pulled her against his back then threw his upper body forward and down, flipping her instead over his back and down onto the deck plating twisting her hyper extended arm into a wrist lock as he stood above her, still smirking “Good move, almost had me..” he taunted

Pain seemed to mean very little to her if anything at all, as she did her best to move to take his feet from under him. Her eyes glowing as she almost seemed to move more like water around an obstacle as if bone had become like Jell-O allowing her movement.

Carvagio chuckled as the simulation attacked both of them now. Claws fangs and barbed arms like a master chef with knives.

I would advise you both to move now.

Jack hit his back as she spun on him and she took his legs out from under him, a momentary look of shock on his face he turned to look at her, his hold on her arm broken, he’d never seen someone move like that before, he looked up as he heard the AI chuckle then all hell broke loose as the simulation resumed. Jack was back on his feet, and they fought. Oh yea, there was a marked difference in the monster’s skill level and over all aggressiveness compared to the now tame training he thought of as a workout, but he held his own, often finding himself actually laughing in enjoyment, even as he grunted in pain, and cursed. After so long to feel that surge or power through his body, the rush, this is why he’d become a bounty hunter, for the thrill, and this brought being an adrenaline junkie to a whole new level. Surprisingly it didn’t seem to take much time at all for them to find a working rhythm, melding seamlessly catching brief glimpses of her movements, the way her body arched. God she was beautiful like this… Of course that thought and hesitation cost him a solid blow to the chest and solar plexus that sent him flying and spinning, landing hard and slamming into a wall, he coughed, hard, flecks of blood passing his lips and he knew he was hurt, he’d felt the ribs crack the minute the kick had landed and again when he practically ricocheted off the wall, and he stumbled to his feet, chest and shoulders heaving, covered in sweat and blood, and he smiled, “ohh yeaaa…”he took a minute to watch Taylanna, studying her.

“fucking gorgeous…” he said to no one before he waded back into the fighting. But it was only moments before he realized he’d made a mistake, as he backflipped and kicked his foot out to catch a creature in the jaw he felt something in his chest Pop, a torn muscle, he completed the flip but immediately fell to one knee, spitting blood to clear his mouth he gripped his ribs, wincing hard, he didn’t see the boot coming at him till it struck him square in the side of the head, and he collapsed to the floor out cold

TRAINING ALPHA END PROGRAM NOW!

Carvagio barked out the order as Taylanna threw the creature through Carvagio.

Why did you let the single blood get involved? You know better.

She roared grabbing the antidote from the tray and injecting him then herself before taking a scanner.

Float transport to medical. NOW! I will be on the bridge.

Jack drifted in and out, the pain keeping him delirious, several hours had passed before he finally started to come around. Sore as hell he became aware of his surroundings. His head felt split like a quart of firewood, a deep throbbing in his temple forcing him to keep his eyes closed but he listened, the steady beeps and clicks, he felt things attached to his body and finger, he knew he’d been hooked to monitors, slowly he cracked an eye, happy to at least see the lights had been turned low. He looked around slowly, then looked down at himself, bandages wrapped his ribs, he felt he multiple cuts and soreness “damn…….hell of a party…..half to do it again sometime” he muttered, laughing slightly at his own joke then winced is it pulled his chest and stomach muscles painfully tight “ahhh shit” he sighed, running his hand over his chest he looked around “Hey Car, you around” he panted softly, licking his lips,

We are both present. Good that you are awake. I warned you about getting involved in her training didn't I? Attempting to impress her will do you little good if the system kills you.

Carvagio floated over watching him.

You fight pretty good...

Her voice finally heard.

Leave the safeties on when you fight. Consider it an order.

Jack let his head fall back, his eyes falling to Taylanna he smirked, I warned you about getting involved in her training didn't I? Attempting to impress her will do you little good if the system kills you. He Snorted, “Who said I wanted to impress her? I was just having fun”, hetried to laugh as he looked at the AI, then grimaced in pain, the laugh turning into a series of coughing curses as he settled back, looking towards the door when he heard her voice, that hard stern tone Leave the safeties on when you fight. Consider it an order. his grin turned downright wicked “but I was having fun, I haven’t felt that alive since……well before I blasted off on this stupid mission” he gave a rogue grin before he settled back, just concentrating on breathing for the time being “but yea, I think I will take that advice, for now, still just a little bit rusty yet, but damn, you are fucking gorgeous when you fight, that last shot caught me cause I was watching you’re your ass.” He blinked………”did I just………….say that outloud?” he groaned “so whats the diagnosis Car? I know I broke at least a few ribs and it felt like I tore a pec muscle or something….what am I looking at for recovery time?”

Carvagio rattled off the list repeating what he had stated as well as other broken or damaged muscles and bones as well as a hefty dose of toxin which was already being tended to by a nano anti-venom. He then continued after observing monitors and noticing that Taylanna either did not know how to translate his words or was ignoring them about how she looked.

Recovery time uncertain I am not entirely well versed in single blood beings so we will revisit medical conditions in three weeks.

He listened as the AI rattled off his injuries and he let his head fall back, ok, so he might have pushed himself a little more then he should have, but to him at least it was worth it, he felt, lighter, more himself again and like a shadow or walking corpse with no direction. “My primary modification was increased reflexes, hand/eye and a very minor boost to strength and stamina, just before we were launched into space they had developed a prototype implant” jack craned his neck and pulled down his shirt to reveal a scar at the base of his neck were it met his shoulder “they called it a mobile immune booster, when injured, poisoned, or captured, I was suppose to be able to activate it with my multitool “ he held up the watch he wore “although it didn’t seem to work, there was a communication error to the implant and it failed to activate before I was knocked unconscious, it was suppose to send a shock of adrenaline and enzymes into my system to counteract whatever I may have been hit with” he sighed as he gave his wrist a short flick and the Holotool illuminated on his arm “The tech now seems far advanced, maybe there is a way to fix it, “ he looked to the AI “I know my tech is far outdated from what you are now, but think you might be able to interface with it? Or hell, if I give it to you to study think you could upgrade it? I could use any advantage at this point”

Jack finally stopped talking, not really wanting to have revealed that information about the implant since the AI’s scans hadn’t detected it, which meant the implant was functioning on some level, it was supposed to be undetectable in the event of capture, and he had started to wonder if being asleep so long had damaged it, or made the implant dormant. If he was lucky he could get it working again, turning his head he looked to Taylanna “so, care to nurse me back to health?” he gave her a roguish grin “I could use a womens touch 😉

The device... I had suspected that it was something broken. Other single bloods had different things within them most of them were what ultimately destroyed them.

Carvagio moved and scanned the device.

Taylanna... I think we have found something in the single blood that is truly as obsolete as you think you are.

“Others? You’ve found others? I’m assuming dead at this point, most of us had various implants for enhanced functions, scanners, biomed readers, etc., nothing high tech or even useful most of the time.” He said, rolling his eyes at the AI for the quip about his implant being obsolete and well………..couldn’t argue the point…….much………”Hey, I may be old, but I’m still young !” he quipped and smirked “besides, I held my own for the most part in your death trap of a training program didn’t i?” blatantly ignoring the throbbing pain from all of his current injuries “So, I’m out of commission for at least 3 weeks, if you think, or what to, you have surgical knowledge, would you be able to remove the implant? If you say that’s what killed the others you’ve found” Jack scratched his neck where the small pink scar from the incision was then laid back, stifling a yawn and a wince of pain all at the same time that caused several muscles to twitch and spasm making him jerk “so how about it sexy, Help me back to my quarters? Then nurse me back to health?, I would seriously love a chance to talk to you and compare combat notes, you have some brilliant moves, and I have never seen someone move so fluidly as you, it was a beauty to behold” he gave her a charming grin, he wouldn’t admit that, alright, maybe after fighting with her, he’d come to appreciate her more than just his savior/captor, and well…….ok……..so was rather hot, even bruised, bloody and disheveled as she was, well, he was a Male in his prime, millions of lightyears in space with the worst case of galactic blueballs in the history of earth. But, well, he felt a kindred connection with her. Yes they’d shared their stories, or parts of them, but they worked nearly flawlessly together in that training room at times, he’d never met someone who’d matched him like that with all the people he’d worked with in his years. He liked her………

Carvagio noticed the almost puzzled look at his words on her face.

I do believe our crew mate is attempting to flirt and engage in some form of romantic innuendo captain.

She raised a brow but shrugged.

The point of this would be? And yes Carvagio can remove the implants.

The point of this would be? Jack just looked at her, blinking, ignoring the AI as it hovered around, finished bandaging his wounds and taping up his beaten body “well, where I come from, Although I may be cruder then most, we give compliments to women we find attractive and interesting, and Darlin, after watching you fight, and fighting with you, I will admit I rather like you, and can appreciate the skill that you show and how hard you’ve trained to get where you are” he gave a crooked grin “and come on, its been over a 100 years but im not dead, I can see how beautiful you are, at least to me” Jack craned his neck as the AI scanned the implant scar, a few muscles and bones giving an audible pop causing him to wince “im going to be useless for what did he say? Three weeks for Healing? But Captain, I would love to fight you again, just you and me, no sims, who knows, maybe I could teach you a few things too” there was no tone to his voice, just honesty and intrigue to pepper his reactions. Laying back on the medical bed at Caravagio’s direction he inhaled, again craning his neck to the side some as the AI injected him with what he hoped was a pain killer.

Moving the two medical implants, the one in his neck and another in his arm took about an hour, the AI showed him the clear signs the implants had sustained damage, circuits had been fused, how he didn’t know, maybe something during transit, but they appeared for now to be useless, he let the AI keep them for scanning and diagnostics and returned to the bridge, his left arm in a sling, he gingerly sat in the co-pilots chair and sighed wearily “I know you said you were trained, but outside of that, tell me about you, you have any likes? Music? Reading? You do even have that out here any more? hobbies?” he asked quietly, his eyes roaming over the consoles and readouts “I think the fighting pits are going to be of the question for a bit too” he chuckled “my own fault, pushed myself too hard, so perhaps exploring and learning would be the better of two options now, “ he looked to her

She looked to him.

I fight... I scavenge... That is what I do. Before my people became obsolete I killed and founded wars and assassinations.

As for anything else...

She shrugged.

I fight... I scavenge... That is what I do Jack smiled slightly as he watched her, just taking the time to breath as another wave of pain passed through his body, rubbing his ribs lightly “well, now We fight, and scavenge” he reached over and gave her a pat on the shouder, over the next week, Jack took things slow, the first couple of days as his body began to stiffen up, as he healed. Caravagio helped him change his bandages and run blood tests to ensure the toxins where gone, he got a good look at himself, and silently cursed at his own stupidity. For the next week he did his best to keep his body loose, small stretches as he began to heal, his body and muscles tightening up painfully he did his best to hide it the pain killers the AI supplied enough to help him at least sleep at night. Since he wasn’t very mobile he took his time learning, digging through the ships logs and astrological charts, studying, spent time talking with Taylanna, thought she didn’t say much, by the end of the first week he believed he was finally on the mend, his muscles slowly began to loosen as he continued stretching every night, They found a few small sites that looked like it could have decent salvage, picking up odds and ends.

Arriving at another salvage station her mood however at this location turned dark... Almost lethal as she left the ship through the docking tunnel. The closer she got to the station the more "walls"went up around her as if ready to kill anyone on sight.

Back