Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #51
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 37,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgrant67 View Post
If it breaks a literotica rule such as underage then you can't use it. If it breaks a nude day story rule then it might still be entered. I went against type a couple of years ago and decided to write a Valentine's story about a divorce and a Nude day story with no nudity but they fit their categories and did fine. If the story is good and original I wouldn't worry.
The only downside of breaking the 'rules' of subject matter is that some readers could object, downvote and leave a negative but reasonable comment that influences other readers. I had that reaction for a Halloween contest story featuring costumes and ghosts but not the traditional US-style 'Halloween' itself.

As I have pointed out before, these are story contests. The rules mean that you can't enter a poem.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #52
LeandraNyx
Brazenly Opinionated
 
LeandraNyx's Avatar
 
LeandraNyx is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 393
Deleted
__________________
Yes, I squat.
Take care of your butt, and your butt will take care of you.

Last edited by LeandraNyx : 08-25-2017 at 08:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #53
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 37,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandraNyx View Post
Wait, so readers actually care about the writer contests? Like, they're not just going about their usual business, reading and rating like any other day, they go hardcore on the judging? It's my first contest and I can honestly say, I was not expecting that. Also, how are readers even able to tell which stories count as entries and which do not? From what I understood, you're only required to identify entries to the mods in the notes, not to the readers in the actual body of the story. Did I miss something?
Yes - the contest stories appear in a link on the front page of Literotica.

That is one reason why many contest entries get more attention and for longer than a fleeting appearance on the New list.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #54
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru
 
ChloeTzang's Avatar
 
ChloeTzang is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nope, ain't telling..., USA
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
Yes - the contest stories appear in a link on the front page of Literotica.

That is one reason why many contest entries get more attention and for longer than a fleeting appearance on the New list.
And there's a contest page with all the stories. Readers do go there and yo do get readers reading stories in categories they wouldn't normally read. The end result is a lots more views and exposure.
__________________
Chloe Tzang
New: "The Temptation of Sammi Woo" - A good Chinese girl with a V-card that needs swiping. A birthday party. Bikers. A Strip Bar. What could possibly happen?
Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - Interracial Love Category - Strawberry - a Shanghai Girl in America Chapter 4"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - First Time Category - A chinese girl and a biker in - "Chinese Takeout - Chapter 4"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
And "Mistaken Identity: Chapter One" - "They All Look Like Me" can be found right here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #55
electricblue66
Literotica Guru
 
electricblue66 is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
And there's a contest page with all the stories. Readers do go there and yo do get readers reading stories in categories they wouldn't normally read. The end result is a lots more views and exposure.
And a lot more excitement and drama in this forum.

I've only ever written one contest story. It was a complete piss-take inspired by all of the conspiracy theorists and bullshit artists who came out of the woodwork two years ago - it was my first year on Lit and I could not believe the toxic bile that was going back and forth related to contests, absolutely extraordinary. It's more civilised now, thank god, but oh boy, what a carry-on back then - go read the 2015 Contest Threads, especially the NND one. That was the one that exploded, from memory. Around then was when the AHMod was introduced, and some of the worst offenders wandered off, never to be seen again. It's less dusty now, the occasional hose-down keeps the place tidier.

That's when I first learned all about the contest sweeps, and all of the gaming and vote rigging that (allegedly) went on. At one stage my story was shedding scores and votes so fast it would have ended up with a perfect Red H 5 with zero votes. It was ridiculous, scores and votes going up and down like a yo-yo. Ironically, the story actually did OK in the end, mainly because a lot of people got it, and it was actually quite funny.

Contests are a bit of a blood sport, they can bring out the worst in some folk. And the best. The best are very good stories where the writers left their egos at the door. The worst is where folk can't get their heads through the door

My only problem with the contests now is I can never write to a deadline, the topics are always northern hemisphere centric (you try writing "traditional" snowy Christmas stuff when you're sitting through the third heat wave of an Oz summer) and Halloween bores me to tears. And drop bears ain't sexy. Sharp claws, though.
__________________
electricblue

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #56
LeandraNyx
Brazenly Opinionated
 
LeandraNyx's Avatar
 
LeandraNyx is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 393
Deleted
__________________
Yes, I squat.
Take care of your butt, and your butt will take care of you.

Last edited by LeandraNyx : 08-25-2017 at 08:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #57
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 34,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandraNyx View Post
I mean, it's $150, which is nice, but geez; the payout seems a little low for leaving your courtesy at the door.
Back at the time she was talking about we had a couple of groups either trying to disrupt the contests to the point that they would be stopped or gaming the system. Both groups are gone now so it really doesn't apply at this point.
__________________
Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #58
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru
 
ChloeTzang's Avatar
 
ChloeTzang is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nope, ain't telling..., USA
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
My only problem with the contests now is ..... the topics are always northern hemisphere centric (you try writing "traditional" snowy Christmas stuff when you're sitting through the third heat wave of an Oz summer) and Halloween bores me to tears. And drop bears ain't sexy. Sharp claws, though.
Ohhhh, sexy drop bears? Maybe not. But tanned ripped sexy aussie guys surfing in budgie smugglers when a cute american girl heads south for some Xmas sun and fun?
There's a story there. Utes, budgie smugglers, tinnies, riot packs, sinking the old pork sword.... xmas with santa in the sun! Got to give that one a whirl, mate! remind me next Xmas.
__________________
Chloe Tzang
New: "The Temptation of Sammi Woo" - A good Chinese girl with a V-card that needs swiping. A birthday party. Bikers. A Strip Bar. What could possibly happen?
Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - Interracial Love Category - Strawberry - a Shanghai Girl in America Chapter 4"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - First Time Category - A chinese girl and a biker in - "Chinese Takeout - Chapter 4"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
And "Mistaken Identity: Chapter One" - "They All Look Like Me" can be found right here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 01:57 AM   #59
electricblue66
Literotica Guru
 
electricblue66 is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
Ohhhh, sexy drop bears? Maybe not. But tanned ripped sexy aussie guys surfing in budgie smugglers when a cute american girl heads south for some Xmas sun and fun?
There's a story there. Utes, budgie smugglers, tinnies, riot packs, sinking the old pork sword.... xmas with santa in the sun! Got to give that one a whirl, mate! remind me next Xmas.
Chloe, a little bit of knowledge could get you into big trouble You're learning fast!

Don't forget Wolf Creek, the movie, is loosely based on a couple of real events. The perpetrators, fortunately, were caught and are doing life, one of them with 28 years non parole, the other seven consecutive life sentences with 18 years non parole. It ain't all beer and skittles. We've got some real charmers here!
__________________
electricblue

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #60
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru
 
ChloeTzang's Avatar
 
ChloeTzang is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nope, ain't telling..., USA
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
Chloe, a little bit of knowledge could get you into big trouble You're learning fast!

Don't forget Wolf Creek, the movie, is loosely based on a couple of real events. The perpetrators, fortunately, were caught and are doing life, one of them with 28 years non parole, the other seven consecutive life sentences with 18 years non parole. It ain't all beer and skittles. We've got some real charmers here!
Oh, I know about the charmers. I was reading up on Chopper Read a while ago, based one of my characters in "Chinese Takeout" on him. And a book on the Bandido's in Australia.



And it's not just drop bears and dingo's that are lethal. It's those aussies feed plastic to endangered species.... oh my...



And I'm sorry, this just went a bit off topic. But the crocodile is nude....
__________________
Chloe Tzang
New: "The Temptation of Sammi Woo" - A good Chinese girl with a V-card that needs swiping. A birthday party. Bikers. A Strip Bar. What could possibly happen?
Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - Interracial Love Category - Strawberry - a Shanghai Girl in America Chapter 4"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - First Time Category - A chinese girl and a biker in - "Chinese Takeout - Chapter 4"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
And "Mistaken Identity: Chapter One" - "They All Look Like Me" can be found right here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #61
electricblue66
Literotica Guru
 
electricblue66 is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
Oh, I know about the charmers. I was reading up on Chopper Read a while ago, based one of my characters in "Chinese Takeout" on him. And a book on the Bandido's in Australia...
See if you can find "Stone" - an Oz cult movie made in 1974, about bikie gangs and an under cover cop in and around Sydney - pretty impressive for its time. Made with the assistance of the Hells Angels.
__________________
electricblue

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #62
RubenR
Literotica Guru
 
RubenR's Avatar
 
RubenR is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hidden
Posts: 521
My side-project consists of two (radio) reporters describing a contest. Benjamin is the main reporter, telling what’s going on in the air, while Jean Jacques provides background information.

Since the whole story consists of the report of the events by those two, I don’t use quotations, and I use three stars ‘***’ with an empty line above and below, to distinguish between the two reporters, but also when the next contestants start. Like this:

Quote:
… Isn’t that something we’ve seen before, Jean Jacques?

***

That’s right, Benjamin. Three years ago …
I think this could work out, but maybe someone has different ideas about this style? Maybe there is a better way to clarify who’s doing the talking at that moment?

I don’t want to make use of ‘Bold’ or ‘Italics’.
__________________
My Stories
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #63
LeandraNyx
Brazenly Opinionated
 
LeandraNyx's Avatar
 
LeandraNyx is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 393
Deleted
__________________
Yes, I squat.
Take care of your butt, and your butt will take care of you.

Last edited by LeandraNyx : 08-25-2017 at 08:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #64
RubenR
Literotica Guru
 
RubenR's Avatar
 
RubenR is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hidden
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandraNyx View Post
Why not use quotations? Is the story written like the transcript of a news report, rather than a play-by-play of the report as it's happening on TV? Or is there another reason?

I don't have a whole lot of suggestions, but I do think separating every line of dialogue with asterisks will make reading a bit tedious and I'm not sure they're necessary. If there are only three characters speaking at any one time--the two reporters and a single contestant--and they each have a unique voice, I think readers will be able to distinguish between them based on context alone.
It is kind of a radio-play.

The aim is to make the story look like a radio-reporting, with two voices. There is nothing else - no narrative description of the surroundings, no introduction of the reporters, no interviews. The story starts by one reporter, welcoming the spectators and listeners, and it ends by "...back to the studio!"

Benjamin does most of the talking, describing what goes on in the air, but sometimes he requests additional information from Jean Jacques. They rarely use single sentences - mainly talk for whole paragraphs or longer, so the text blocks between the asterisks are quite large.
__________________
My Stories
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #65
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 34,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenR View Post
It is kind of a radio-play.

The aim is to make the story look like a radio-reporting, with two voices. There is nothing else - no narrative description of the surroundings, no introduction of the reporters, no interviews. The story starts by one reporter, welcoming the spectators and listeners, and it ends by "...back to the studio!"

Benjamin does most of the talking, describing what goes on in the air, but sometimes he requests additional information from Jean Jacques. They rarely use single sentences - mainly talk for whole paragraphs or longer, so the text blocks between the asterisks are quite large.
You might want to pass this by laurel before you drop it on her for the contest. Standard quote marks are one of her pet peeves.
__________________
Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #66
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 31,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
See if you can find "Stone" - an Oz cult movie made in 1974, about bikie gangs and an under cover cop in and around Sydney - pretty impressive for its time. Made with the assistance of the Hells Angels.
I had an uncle in the Hell's Angels. Got his ass blown away in the early eighties and that was after they pulled all his teeth out with pliers.

Honestly the fucker deserved it, most of them did back then.

Now they're mostly soft weekend warriors riding around Laconia in midlife crisis mode. At least around this area anyway.

Speaking of, think I'll go borrow my old 2006 sportster I sold to my BIL a couple years and take a ride.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #67
weftandwarp
Really Experienced
 
weftandwarp is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Girt by sea
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgrant67 View Post
If it breaks a literotica rule such as underage then you can't use it. If it breaks a nude day story rule then it might still be entered. I went against type a couple of years ago and decided to write a Valentine's story about a divorce and a Nude day story with no nudity but they fit their categories and did fine. If the story is good and original I wouldn't worry.
Thank you.
The only problem with my entry was that it was a poem, a ballad. We have a huge tradition of ballads here starting with AB(Banjo) Patterson who wrote Waltzing Matilda, The Man From Ironbark, The Man from Snowy River, The Geebung Polo Club, Mulga Bill's Bicycle and a few others. People still write poems/ ballads in this style. It is popular. A ballad is a story written in the style of a poem. It is more difficult than prose. There are competitions for ballads. One of the bush poets is Murray Hartin. There are many others. The contests on Lit preclude poems/ ballads which is a pity because the presentation of them can be enormous fun, funny and they are often very memorable.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #68
jsmiam
Literotica Guru
 
jsmiam's Avatar
 
jsmiam is offline
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
See if you can find "Stone" - an Oz cult movie made in 1974, about bikie gangs and an under cover cop in and around Sydney - pretty impressive for its time. Made with the assistance of the Hells Angels.
Wait, wasn't it "Stoner", or was that a different movie? (I'm going old school today, responding without looking it up myself first...)

Edit: Different movies, although both from 1974 with an Australian cop as the main character, sort of...
__________________
My stories on lit -- Personal blog and other stories - https://j2two.wordpress.com -- Accepting pics for my signature so i can say in a squeaky voice, "I'm squeezing your boooob, I'm squeezing your boooob!" (or booty) - L-R, Tiamo15, LauraWilling (recognition by their permission)

Last edited by jsmiam : 05-20-2017 at 11:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #69
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 31,496
For some reason I thought this was starting soon. Not for another month.

Maybe I'll get something together for it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #70
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru
 
ChloeTzang's Avatar
 
ChloeTzang is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nope, ain't telling..., USA
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by weftandwarp View Post
We have a huge tradition of ballads here starting with AB(Banjo) Patterson who wrote Waltzing Matilda, The Man From Ironbark, The Man from Snowy River, The Geebung Polo Club, Mulga Bill's Bicycle and a few others. People still write poems/ ballads in this style. It is popular. A ballad is a story written in the style of a poem. It is more difficult than prose. There are competitions for ballads. One of the bush poets is Murray Hartin. There are many others
I have an old book of Banjo Patterson's that includes The Man from Snowy River. I browsed thru a used book shop in Adelaide last year and asked the guy if he had any quintessentially Australian books and that was one of them. He did write memorably. I picked up a couple more books by Ernestine Hill - one of them was "The Great Australian Lonliness" about the remote parts of Australia's.
__________________
Chloe Tzang
New: "The Temptation of Sammi Woo" - A good Chinese girl with a V-card that needs swiping. A birthday party. Bikers. A Strip Bar. What could possibly happen?
Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - Interracial Love Category - Strawberry - a Shanghai Girl in America Chapter 4"
Winner - 2016 Literotica Awards - First Time Category - A chinese girl and a biker in - "Chinese Takeout - Chapter 4"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
And "Mistaken Identity: Chapter One" - "They All Look Like Me" can be found right here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #71
BuckyDuckman
Literotica Guru
 
BuckyDuckman's Avatar
 
BuckyDuckman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Second star on the right
Posts: 2,656
Bump! I can't believe this important thread fell midway down page two!
__________________
My stories.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #72
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 37,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
I have an old book of Banjo Patterson's that includes The Man from Snowy River. I browsed thru a used book shop in Adelaide last year and asked the guy if he had any quintessentially Australian books and that was one of them. He did write memorably. I picked up a couple more books by Ernestine Hill - one of them was "The Great Australian Lonliness" about the remote parts of Australia's.
I have some 1916 versions of C J Dennis' The Sentimental Bloke and The Moods of Ginger Mick. The Ginger Mick book is in a damaged condition but could be a first edition.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #73
BuckyDuckman
Literotica Guru
 
BuckyDuckman's Avatar
 
BuckyDuckman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Second star on the right
Posts: 2,656
Bumpity-bump-bump.
__________________
My stories.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #74
Voboy
Really Experienced
 
Voboy is offline
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Is everything.
Posts: 136
It's happening: I'm getting the urge to do a second entry. This has never happened before, especially for a contest theme so far outside my comfort zone.

What can one say? Y'never know when the muse will leap out and grab you. We'll see if I can go from "germ of an inkling of an idea" to "finished product" over the next couple weeks.

Fun!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #75
LeandraNyx
Brazenly Opinionated
 
LeandraNyx's Avatar
 
LeandraNyx is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 393
Deleted
__________________
Yes, I squat.
Take care of your butt, and your butt will take care of you.

Last edited by LeandraNyx : 08-24-2017 at 10:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.