Red's Thread - come in and read a bit, post a bit, and lick a bit... okay... alot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah Wet I can do. LOL!

I love watching the cake decorating challange on the food network.

;) I'm sure many of us can. :p

I enjoy them, or did when I watched them on cable/dish - I don't watch them now. We use a good ol' antennae.

Me too ;)
I like watching the travel channel too I wanna go to those onion festivals and stuff

We have an Apple Day Festival in and around our area - Turtle Days - Chain o' Lakes - Johnny Appleseed Festival too - Marshmallow Festival and yes --- Onion Days as well.

;) I'm sure many of us can. :p

I enjoy them, or did when I watched them on cable/dish - I don't watch them now. We use a good ol' antennae.

We have an Apple Day Festival in and around our area - Turtle Days - Chain o' Lakes - Johnny Appleseed Festival too - Marshmallow Festival and yes --- Onion Days as well.

Gee- Red I wish I was there- I've never been to any festival like that here -we have lots of street fairs but I bet yours are way more fun.

Gee- Red I wish I was there- I've never been to any festival like that here -we have lots of street fairs but I bet yours are way more fun.

They are pretty nice and very much a big part of the communities. The only one I really do not like is the Apple Festival. I've gone to it once and I kid you not, the crowd is HUGE it is like Disney Land on crack HUGE. I don't understand why either. . .it's just apples for goodness sake! Apples!!

Just to be sure I checked some numbers online.

The average numbers of visitors a day to Disneyland 40,739.
This little town hosted approx. 70,000 visitors in 3 days time.

I know Disneyland gets more on a weekend, but really - 70,000 for a flipping town population of 10,561 (as of 2009)!!!

APPLES! JUST APPLES!!

They are pretty nice and very much a big part of the communities. The only one I really do not like is the Apple Festival. I've gone to it once and I kid you not, the crowd is HUGE it is like Disney Land on crack HUGE. I don't understand why either. . .it's just apples for goodness sake! Apples!!

Just to be sure I checked some numbers online.

The average numbers of visitors a day to Disneyland 40,739.
This little town hosted approx. 70,000 visitors in 3 days time.

I know Disneyland gets more on a weekend, but really - 70,000 for a flipping town population of 10,561 (as of 2009)!!!

APPLES! JUST APPLES!!

LOL You make me laugh - for that number to come- it gotta be so much fun - I'd still wanna go even for the Apple festival ;)

LOL You make me laugh - for that number to come- it gotta be so much fun - I'd still wanna go even for the Apple festival ;)

The only way I would EVER go to that thing again is if an out of towner wanted to go that's it, otherwise forget it! So if you come this way and it is happening, I will take you. But when you stand on the top of the little hill and look down and realize "we have to walk through that to get to our car" you just remember 70,000 people for APPLES!!

The only way I would EVER go to that thing again is if an out of towner wanted to go that's it, otherwise forget it! So if you come this way and it is happening, I will take you. But when you stand on the top of the little hill and look down and realize "we have to walk through that to get to our car" you just remember 70,000 people for APPLES!!

LOL I'm IN, remember I come from NY- we are quite crowded here- LOL

I also want you to mark your calendar for Turtle Days --- this is the longest still running annual festival in Indiana. 63 years and strong. Where we celebrate the "Beast of Busco" also called "Oscar"

And a quick entertaining read from the internet:

The 1949 Story of the Hunt for Oscar, the Beast of Busco, According to the Indianapolis Star
close-up-turtleThe Beast of Busco

(Ed. note: The following story “The Beast of Busco” ran in the Indianapolis Star Sunday, March 13, 1949. It was written along with many follow-up and accompanying articles, by Star reporter Victor Peterson, who apparently spent a lot of time in Churubusco that year.)

By Victor Peterson

I SAW the Beast of Busco … I think.

Snowflakes rode out a cold wind as Gale Harris shoved the rowboat out on the choppy water of Fulk’s Lake which covers seven acres of his farm.

We were looking for a monster turtle said to be too wide to get through a door, 500 years old and weighing 500 pounds. There’s a story a second about the old mossback. It has this community of 1,100 on its collective ear more than the day Aunt Mary Jackson won a contest for naming the town after the Battle of Churubusco in the Mexican War.

Spectators, some grim-faced, others joking, lined the shore as Mr. Harris and I scanned the bottom of the lake with his homemade telescope … a downspout with a glass in the bottom, a soldered handle and a piece of red inner tube for an eyepiece.

* * *Â Â Â Â * * *

A LOG JUTTED above the surface. This was the spot where Mr. Harris last saw his monster. He plunged the viewer into the water.

“There he is! Drifted off. Circle around.” We did. Now it was my turn. I saw muddy water or muddy lake bottom. Then thee was a definite pattern of dark squares.

“Drifted off,” I said. “Circle around.” We did. I saw the pattern again and described it.

“That’s him,” Mr. Harris said stoutly. “Now you’ve seen the Beast of Churubusco.”

The mud road to the Harris farm is rutting rapidly from automobiles. He has appealed to Police Chief Perry Green for state police aid in directing traffic.

“Cars are stacking up a mile from the house. I can’t get out of the barnyard.” Mr. Harris moaned. The chief moaned too, and cupped his hands to his ears. He swore he’s going to stop answering the telephone.

* * *Â Â Â Â * * *

“I DON’T want this fuss. I got farming to do,” Mr. Harris said. Then he went to see how construction is coming along on a new monster trap. It will be jawed like a steam shovel scoop to drop over and nsap up the snapper.

“We’ll have to winch him in,” said Lee Fowles, who testifies he saw the giant of the deep while fishing last summer. that was just about the time Mr. Harris pursued the Beast in a rowboat, snatched his tail and tried to flip him aboard. The turtle swam away with Mr. Harris in tow without his boat.

“Had to let go,” he said. “You know, the moss on his back is at least two inches thick. Can’t figure out how the story got around that some fellow’s name is carved there. Supposed to be a Richard Cavalier de LaSalle. In French too,” he said.

“And this business about this turtle eating cattle down around the lake. Nothing to it. Whoever heard of a turtle eating a cow?”

* * *Â Â Â Â * * *

THE BEAST of Churubusco has been around for a long time. Oscar Fulk saw it a half century ago, but nobody got excited. More than a year ago it was seen by Charles Wilson, brother-in-law of Mr. Harris. He got excited. In time Mr. Harris got to seeing it. So did a lot of other people. I saw it too. I think.

Official link: http://www.buscovoice.com/2009/05/2...-of-busco-according-to-the-indianapolis-star/

Humm. But all that Food made out of Apples! MI we got strawberries, raspberries, oh yes and the all mighty Cherry.

Yummy Cherry pie, cherry cheesecake, cherry cordials... Diabetic coma, insulin shock... cherry pancakes, cherry cake

I also want you to mark your calendar for Turtle Days --- this is the longest still running annual festival in Indiana. 63 years and strong. Where we celebrate the "Beast of Busco" also called "Oscar"

And a quick entertaining read from the internet:

The 1949 Story of the Hunt for Oscar, the Beast of Busco, According to the Indianapolis Star
close-up-turtleThe Beast of Busco

(Ed. note: The following story “The Beast of Busco” ran in the Indianapolis Star Sunday, March 13, 1949. It was written along with many follow-up and accompanying articles, by Star reporter Victor Peterson, who apparently spent a lot of time in Churubusco that year.)

By Victor Peterson

I SAW the Beast of Busco … I think.

Snowflakes rode out a cold wind as Gale Harris shoved the rowboat out on the choppy water of Fulk’s Lake which covers seven acres of his farm.

We were looking for a monster turtle said to be too wide to get through a door, 500 years old and weighing 500 pounds. There’s a story a second about the old mossback. It has this community of 1,100 on its collective ear more than the day Aunt Mary Jackson won a contest for naming the town after the Battle of Churubusco in the Mexican War.

Spectators, some grim-faced, others joking, lined the shore as Mr. Harris and I scanned the bottom of the lake with his homemade telescope … a downspout with a glass in the bottom, a soldered handle and a piece of red inner tube for an eyepiece.

* * *Â Â Â Â * * *

A LOG JUTTED above the surface. This was the spot where Mr. Harris last saw his monster. He plunged the viewer into the water.

“There he is! Drifted off. Circle around.” We did. Now it was my turn. I saw muddy water or muddy lake bottom. Then thee was a definite pattern of dark squares.

“Drifted off,” I said. “Circle around.” We did. I saw the pattern again and described it.

“That’s him,” Mr. Harris said stoutly. “Now you’ve seen the Beast of Churubusco.”

The mud road to the Harris farm is rutting rapidly from automobiles. He has appealed to Police Chief Perry Green for state police aid in directing traffic.

“Cars are stacking up a mile from the house. I can’t get out of the barnyard.” Mr. Harris moaned. The chief moaned too, and cupped his hands to his ears. He swore he’s going to stop answering the telephone.

* * *Â Â Â Â * * *

“I DON’T want this fuss. I got farming to do,” Mr. Harris said. Then he went to see how construction is coming along on a new monster trap. It will be jawed like a steam shovel scoop to drop over and nsap up the snapper.

“We’ll have to winch him in,” said Lee Fowles, who testifies he saw the giant of the deep while fishing last summer. that was just about the time Mr. Harris pursued the Beast in a rowboat, snatched his tail and tried to flip him aboard. The turtle swam away with Mr. Harris in tow without his boat.

“Had to let go,” he said. “You know, the moss on his back is at least two inches thick. Can’t figure out how the story got around that some fellow’s name is carved there. Supposed to be a Richard Cavalier de LaSalle. In French too,” he said.

“And this business about this turtle eating cattle down around the lake. Nothing to it. Whoever heard of a turtle eating a cow?”

* * *Â Â Â Â * * *

THE BEAST of Churubusco has been around for a long time. Oscar Fulk saw it a half century ago, but nobody got excited. More than a year ago it was seen by Charles Wilson, brother-in-law of Mr. Harris. He got excited. In time Mr. Harris got to seeing it. So did a lot of other people. I saw it too. I think.

Official link: http://www.buscovoice.com/2009/05/2...-of-busco-according-to-the-indianapolis-star/

Quite interesting - like the lochness monster - thanks for sharing RED :)

my wife is making her 5th wedding cake this weekend along with our boys birthday cake. this cake is easy though. her last was a 5 tear rolled fondant foe cake with only the bass of the 15 inch cake real. she has made 2 foe cakes this year as well as 3 real ones.I should make it clear the 5 cakes were done over the past year not since January. along with the wedding cakes are any number of birthday cakes including 3 that were 3 tear wedding style cakes the 5 year she did not charge nearly enough for fir all the work she put in it. I do not get involved with the cakes unless there are a lot of flowers as that is my expertise.

I would much rather grill mostly smoked ribs and chicken and have done enough to feed small armies before.

Humm. But all that Food made out of Apples! MI we got strawberries, raspberries, oh yes and the all mighty Cherry.

Yummy Cherry pie, cherry cheesecake, cherry cordials... Diabetic coma, insulin shock... cherry pancakes, cherry cake

The food is great, but I can make it at home. lol

Quite interesting - like the lochness monster - thanks for sharing RED :)

You're welcome. I'm off my small town festival rant. lol

------

Hello there Grifters. :)

my wife is making her 5th wedding cake this weekend along with our boys birthday cake. this cake is easy though. her last was a 5 tear rolled fondant foe cake with only the bass of the 15 inch cake real. she has made 2 foe cakes this year as well as 3 real ones.I should make it clear the 5 cakes were done over the past year not since January. along with the wedding cakes are any number of birthday cakes including 3 that were 3 tear wedding style cakes the 5 year she did not charge nearly enough for fir all the work she put in it. I do not get involved with the cakes unless there are a lot of flowers as that is my expertise.

I would much rather grill mostly smoked ribs and chicken and have done enough to feed small armies before.

Oh yes, would so not want to do that job - the cakes - grillin' okay, but not all that bakin' or decorating. lol

okay mini cherry cheese cakes and brownies out of the oven as well as the lasagna.I think my wife want to keep me fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back